You don't have ''big bones'' or a ''big frame''

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Just as a point against the "my (insert part here) didn't shrink when I lost weight" people: you're either full of crap, didn't lose enough for it to matter, or didn't take measurements, and your body has remained relatively proportional. Even people's shoe and hat sizes decrease when losing large quantities of weight.

my shoulders did get smaller...I went from an XLarge fitted jacket to a med....but I still have broad shoulders.

I have a linen shirt on today...not a lot of give to it so I had to get it in a medium to fit my shoulders well...if it was a different fabric prob would be a small...I love the shirt but wish I could have gotten it to fit my whole upper body not just my shoulders as it looks "baggy"

I don't think those here saying they do have a large frame are saying that's why they are heavier than "normal". We are all here for the same reason but given the differences in people some are bound to have differences in bones as well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Just as a point against the "my (insert part here) didn't shrink when I lost weight" people: you're either full of crap, didn't lose enough for it to matter, or didn't take measurements, and your body has remained relatively proportional. Even people's shoe and hat sizes decrease when losing large quantities of weight.

my shoulders did get smaller...I went from an XLarge fitted jacket to a med....but I still have broad shoulders.

I have a linen shirt on today...not a lot of give to it so I had to get it in a medium to fit my shoulders well...if it was a different fabric prob would be a small...I love the shirt but wish I could have gotten it to fit my whole upper body not just my shoulders as it looks "baggy"

I don't think those here saying they do have a large frame are saying that's why they are heavier than "normal". We are all here for the same reason but given the differences in people some are bound to have differences in bones as well.

To argue against there being differences in shapes, lengths, widths, and depths of bone structures would be ridiculous. No one's saying that everyone's skeleton is the exact same. The whole thread started as a rebuttal again the oft used by the obese, "I gots big bones" excuse.
    There will be variations, but unless one has some crazy stuff going on (ie, gigantism), it's never going to be enough difference to justify carrying around an extra 10+% bodyfat.

Totally agree...I was one of those that didn't think I could get to a size small anything due to my "structure"...

*hangs head* I wear a small in most things...except shoes they are still an 8.5 down from a 9
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I didn't lose enough to make it matter. My body stays relatively proportional. Good call.

Edited to add: I do take measurements. Misses sizing gives an inch or two leeway before switching sizes. I wear a loose size
    12 USA when I can get into a mid normal BMI range and wear a tight size 12 when I gain 10 pounds weight and am in upper normal BMI for my height. My proportions are pretty much the same as the sizing chart off the racks.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    My body gains fairly proportionally all over, and I've never been obese. Primarily I struggle with "vanity" pounds. Although I've moved into the top of normal range BMI and really need to get these extra 10 pounds off. But my shirt sizes won't change.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Every so often someone on MFP will say they have ''big bones'' or a ''big frame''. This is just not true. Have a look at the photos in the success story threads. People will go from 150kg to 65kg and their bodies change a LOT.

I've only lost about 8kg but my shoulders have shrunk so much that my UK size 14/US size 12 jacket is now too big around the shoulders. It used to fit me perfectly, but I now drown in it and yes, even the sleeves have become too long.

Your body WILL change when you lose weight. If you're a woman, you more than likely DO NOT have broad shoulders. The ''body frame size calculators'' are WRONG.

My shoulder bones don't shrink when I lose weight.

It must be very uncomfortable to not have any fat or muscle on your shoulders.

As I lose, parts of me have gotten smaller that I didn't even realize were that big. I was aware of the fat on my arms, thighs, etc, but it was really nice when the hump on the back of my neck disappeared. Or I always thought that I had big neck muscles, which is why there was just a gentle downward slope from my neck to my shoulders (which leads to lots of bra straps slipping off). Now that I've lost 100lbs, I have realized I don't have huge neck muscles, and my shoulders are shaped differently. I never would have thought that.

I have fairly muscular shoulders. The size across the top of my shoulders from joint to joint doesn't change. The girth around my chest does change, but not a huge amount enough to make a difference. My size large ladies' shirts fill out when I gain 10 pounds and then gets more comfy when I lose 10 pounds. But I can still wear them. Size medium just doesn't fit across the shoulders very well even when I get slimmer. (I am between 5'7" and 5'8").

Edited for grammar
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Once again, there's an epic amount of hand wringing and excuse making in this thread. For those of us who had similar views in the past, but successfully lost weight and gained actual muscle it's obvious. If you're not actively weight lifting or engaged in a sport such as swimming or gymnastics then no, you're not muscular. That doesn't just happen from sitting on a couch.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Once again, there's an epic amount of hand wringing and excuse making in this thread. For those of us who had similar views in the past, but successfully lost weight and gained actual muscle it's obvious. If you're not actively weight lifting or engaged in a sport such as swimming or gymnastics then no, you're not muscular. That doesn't just happen from sitting on a couch.

It happens from lifting a 140 pound 14 year old son who is in a wheelchair. Dressing him, pushing wheelchair up hills, transferring him, etc.

You understand that is muscle and not bone? If he's been in a wheelchair for any length time while growing then you literally have been on a progressive overload program. This happens with mothers who carry and lift their children regularly, even as toddlers. It's more so with you, but it's muscle not bone and it didn't occur from being sedentary.

ETA: you might want to get your body fat percentage measured so you can see where you really are in terms of comp.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    there IS such a thing as "big boned" and/or "big framed". are you a medical doctor proficient in EVERY living human being on this earth????????? no, i don't think so. therefore, if MY doctor that knows ME says i am "big boned", then he/she is correct. not you
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    This information may be helpful for those wondering how much of a difference this really makes in regards to weight.
    http://www.hamiltonhospital.org/healthbeats/hb_bodyweight.html

Disclaimer - wrist measurement alone can't tell you where you fall. Its a starting point. Talk to your doctor to take additional measurements if you're unsure.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I don't really have a side in this "fight". Going by wrist and elbow and a random frame calculator posted the other day, I come back with small frame. But as for shoe size, I felt like throwing in my two cents.

I have lost 180+ pounds. My starting shoe size was 10W. My current shoe size? Also 10W. I cannot wear 10 regular unless they're flip-flops, and I still have to try them on to make sure the straps for my toes aren't too tight. Some of my old shoes do fit more loosely but not enough for my size and width to change. Here's an admittedly not-pretty pic of my feet. I don't think they look fat.

Edited to add: My mother, who is 5'9" and 145 lbs, also wears a 10W. We share shoes...and did even when I was 180+ pounds heavier.

cwtucavlivaw.jpg
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Since we've started with the pictures, here's my favorite:

E5BqHzs.png

LOL. I hope you weren't sincere and know that this is a gorilla skeleton...because the one on the right is a gorilla skeleton.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

E5BqHzs.png

So, you didn't read the text obviously.

One of those is a gorilla.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    That isn't a gorilla skeleton, and I'm pretty sure JaneSnowe was being sarcastic.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

E5BqHzs.png

LOL. I hope you weren't sincere and know that this is a gorilla skeleton...because the one on the right is a gorilla skeleton.
    auddii wrote: »

E5BqHzs.png

So, you didn't read the text obviously.

One of those is a gorilla.

That's why it's my favorite. o:)