You don't have ''big bones'' or a ''big frame''

Options

Replies

• gana2win
    gana2win Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I look best at about 150-155lb which puts me in a size 6/8US depending on brand. This also puts my BMI at just overweight by the standard chart. I have a naturally larger build than some. Is it an excuse to be fat or unhealthy? - no. It is a reason why my healthy goals will differ from someone petite though. I will never be petite and that's fine with me as long as I can get back to where I was fit and healthy. I can wear a normal jean size despite a larger build. Unfortunately in the shoe department I will always be out of luck . . . womens size 10 are hard to find in cute styles without ordering online :neutral:

Exactly the same for me. Shoes are the hardest thing to find when you wear a size 10 wide.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    My best friend is less than an inch shorter than me. She also weighs less than me and has a smaller pants size by one size. Her wrists are two inches larger than mine and she often can't buy bracelets without having to get them custom made because she has 9 inch wrists. I think some people literally have larger bones. We're not all the same so why can't we have different bone structure? It doesn't sound absurd at all...

edcoan07_lg.jpg

This guy has 8 inch wrists.
    I'd like to see your friend actually.

Separated at birth?

9n2hah5wk56b.jpg
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    [quote="...womens size 10 are hard to find in cute styles without ordering online :neutral: [/quote]

Try being a 12... I have to go to sites that cater to men who pretend to be women just to find cute shoes.

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I fell on ice outside school about 10 years ago. I fell on my hip so they sent me to ER to get x-rays.

The x-ray doctor said I had the largest sacrum (triangular bone that the tailbone attaches to) he's ever seen in his 30+ years of practice. I was like...uh, thank you?

But he said i also had larger hip/pelvic bones and that went along with it. (Also some of the largest he'd ever seen).

I'm fat but it's not my bones causing it.

Though, according to that dr I've got great bones for carrying babies lol. Once again, thank you I think ;)

Tl;dr yes, larger bones are possible!

Did you ever want to marry a doctor? Because I think he was coming on to you! ;)

"Hey beautiful, you have the largest sacrum I've ever seen! Wanna have a chance at carrying babies?" :laugh:
    The best part was the Russian tech that was working with him! His broken English hitting on me was cute but kind of annoying bc he kept splaying out his hands really wide and saying "give good babies! You! Give good babies!"

I wanted to die at the time bc my bed was wheeled in a hallway lol.

Mortifying!

That was his wingman! Either that or you were on the set of a sitcom and didn't know it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I fell on ice outside school about 10 years ago. I fell on my hip so they sent me to ER to get x-rays.

The x-ray doctor said I had the largest sacrum (triangular bone that the tailbone attaches to) he's ever seen in his 30+ years of practice. I was like...uh, thank you?

But he said i also had larger hip/pelvic bones and that went along with it. (Also some of the largest he'd ever seen).

I'm fat but it's not my bones causing it.

Though, according to that dr I've got great bones for carrying babies lol. Once again, thank you I think ;)

Tl;dr yes, larger bones are possible!

Did you ever want to marry a doctor? Because I think he was coming on to you! ;)

"Hey beautiful, you have the largest sacrum I've ever seen! Wanna have a chance at carrying babies?" :laugh:
    The best part was the Russian tech that was working with him! His broken English hitting on me was cute but kind of annoying bc he kept splaying out his hands really wide and saying "give good babies! You! Give good babies!"

I wanted to die at the time bc my bed was wheeled in a hallway lol.

Mortifying!

That was his wingman! Either that or you were on the set of a sitcom and didn't know it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lol I should have looked for the hidden cameras! ;)
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As an xray tech who looks at xrays all day this was a very interesting thread.........and I will keep my answers to myself, this is way more fun.

Same here.. I haven't laughed this hard at a thread in awhile :D

• beskytter
    beskytter Posts: 87 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @emmydoodles83 I take it you may have seen a big bone or two :o
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As an xray tech who looks at xrays all day this was a very interesting thread.........and I will keep my answers to myself, this is way more fun.

Same here.. I haven't laughed this hard at a thread in awhile :D

Are you saying that everyone has the same density bones:hushed: ?
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am built like a dwarf. Short, broad shoulders and hips, can currently lift more than I weigh. I am still overweight, yes, but if I was on the low-end of a healthy BMI I would look like a bobble-head.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Every so often someone on MFP will say they have ''big bones'' or a ''big frame''. This is just not true. Have a look at the photos in the success story threads. People will go from 150kg to 65kg and their bodies change a LOT.

I've only lost about 8kg but my shoulders have shrunk so much that my UK size 14/US size 12 jacket is now too big around the shoulders. It used to fit me perfectly, but I now drown in it and yes, even the sleeves have become too long.

Your body WILL change when you lose weight. If you're a woman, you more than likely DO NOT have broad shoulders. The ''body frame size calculators'' are WRONG.

My shoulder bones don't shrink when I lose weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,816 Member
    Options
    Every so often someone on MFP will say they have ''big bones'' or a ''big frame''. This is just not true. Have a look at the photos in the success story threads. People will go from 150kg to 65kg and their bodies change a LOT.

I've only lost about 8kg but my shoulders have shrunk so much that my UK size 14/US size 12 jacket is now too big around the shoulders. It used to fit me perfectly, but I now drown in it and yes, even the sleeves have become too long.

Your body WILL change when you lose weight. If you're a woman, you more than likely DO NOT have broad shoulders. The ''body frame size calculators'' are WRONG.

And that's why now, 60+ pounds down, I need to buy a size L in a short-sleeved t-shirt that is the very same brand as the S tank top that fits just fine (or maybe a little big). Because I don't have broad shoulders. Uh huh.

I grant you, it used to be a 1X t-shirt.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is pertinent to this discussion, but what about those women who can't give birth naturally because their pelvis is too narrow. Obviously these women have a smaller frame then the women who have no problems popping out babies.

Actually, what you are referring to is called Cephalopelvic Disproportion, and while it is common for doctors to over diagnose this in cases of "failure to progress" during childbirth, it's actually incredibly rare and usually accompanied by other abnormalities in her structure or anatomy. One such situation is when the pelvis fails to open to allow birth, which can be caused by diabetes and genetic factors. The pelvis has joints that loosen and open to allow the child to pass through, just as the baby's skull has the soft spot, to allow it to shrink down to fit.

"Cephalopelvic disproportion is rare. According to the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM), CPD occurs in 1 out of 250 pregnancies."

In addition to being a very over-used and misapplied excuse for "failure to progress, it's also near impossible to diagnose until DURING labor. Ultrasounds are only guesstimations of fetal weight and size.

http://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/cephalopelvic-disproportion/

I'm a certified doula, was working my way toward midwife when oops, got married, had baby, stayed home with him:)

Way over diagnosed. I was told my pelvis was too narrow with my first, so I had a c/s.

I then had 2 vaginal births in the next 3 years, disproving that theory.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,961 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, whether people were talking about size versus density has me confused.
  • Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is not true. Nobody has the same frame. I have an extremely small frame, tiny wrist and tiny legs. Boots never seem to fit right around my calves. This is why I don't carry extra weight very well.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

My shoulder bones don't shrink when I lose weight.

It must be very uncomfortable to not have any fat or muscle on your shoulders.

As I lose, parts of me have gotten smaller that I didn't even realize were that big. I was aware of the fat on my arms, thighs, etc, but it was really nice when the hump on the back of my neck disappeared. Or I always thought that I had big neck muscles, which is why there was just a gentle downward slope from my neck to my shoulders (which leads to lots of bra straps slipping off). Now that I've lost 100lbs, I have realized I don't have huge neck muscles, and my shoulders are shaped differently. I never would have thought that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Just as a point against the "my (insert part here) didn't shrink when I lost weight" people: you're either full of crap, didn't lose enough for it to matter, or didn't take measurements, and your body has remained relatively proportional. Even people's shoe and hat sizes decrease when losing large quantities of weight.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    AmyWebb2 wrote: »
    [quote="...womens size 10 are hard to find in cute styles without ordering online :neutral:

Try being a 12... I have to go to sites that cater to men who pretend to be women just to find cute shoes.

[/quote]

Yeah? Try 10AA. Well, 9.5AA to 11B, depending on the shoe, running shoes I usually take 11. Wide shoes seem to be widely available (ha ha) and narrow shoes are very hard to find. Zappos, and Nordstrom, have some, but to avoid disappointment I only shop online and filter by size first so I don't see all the ones I can't get. Which is pretty much all of them

I don't understand the earlier quote that 90% of women are inside of a range of 2 shoe sizes, regardless of height. We have a bigger range than that just in my immediate family, and we are all related. It seems very unlikely that the whole population has less variation than that...
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I don't know if this is pertinent to this discussion, but what about those women who can't give birth naturally because their pelvis is too narrow. Obviously these women have a smaller frame then the women who have no problems popping out babies.

Actually, what you are referring to is called Cephalopelvic Disproportion, and while it is common for doctors to over diagnose this in cases of "failure to progress" during childbirth, it's actually incredibly rare and usually accompanied by other abnormalities in her structure or anatomy. One such situation is when the pelvis fails to open to allow birth, which can be caused by diabetes and genetic factors. The pelvis has joints that loosen and open to allow the child to pass through, just as the baby's skull has the soft spot, to allow it to shrink down to fit.

"Cephalopelvic disproportion is rare. According to the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM), CPD occurs in 1 out of 250 pregnancies."

In addition to being a very over-used and misapplied excuse for "failure to progress, it's also near impossible to diagnose until DURING labor. Ultrasounds are only guesstimations of fetal weight and size.

http://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/cephalopelvic-disproportion/

I'm a certified doula, was working my way toward midwife when oops, got married, had baby, stayed home with him:)

Way over diagnosed. I was told my pelvis was too narrow with my first, so I had a c/s.

I then had 2 vaginal births in the next 3 years, disproving that theory.

My midwife explained this as "exterior width doesn't determine interior diameter" or some similar phrase. I am narrow hipped but popped out 10lb babies fine, as did my mom, and sister, but my half sister who has much wider hip bone spread, needed c-section because the bones didn't move apart when the labor came, they were injured in a car accident so didn't open up right. It doesn't have much to do with your hip size.

She did also say, though, that while usually you don't grow a baby you can't birth, my mom (5'3", 100lb when not pregnant, 10lb babies) was about the limit of what was considered OK, that if she had been any smaller, or the babies bigger, c-section would be safer even if everything else was normal in the pregnancy. So there is some actual limit.