Milk???

Options
Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

Replies

• hyuzik
    hyuzik Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there;

I cut out milk about 4 years ago in favour of almond milk. I noticed I was less phlemy and the almond milk lasts longer in the fridge which is nice. Less calories as well so I consider it a good choice.
  • rshcraig
    rshcraig Posts: 53
    Options
    I like milk but not enough to use the calories on it unless I have a few extra left before bed time. Mostly because I cant bring myself to enjoy anything less than 2%. :/ I have heard about almond milk and not sure if I am ready to try it.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

I still do not understand the need to cut out milk. I drink 8 ounces of Horizon Organic Lactose 2% milk every day, which haven't affected my weight loss. I also drink almond milk and coconut milk - both of which I make myself - too many ingredients in store bought that I cannot pronounce.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    So you were consuming 500-800 calories/day of milk, and you're looking to cut back to meet your calorie objectives? Or are you lactose-intolerant?

Drinking a cup of milk per day is generally fine unless there's something specific going on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you love milk and aren't lactose intolerant...then why cut out milk? Having an 8 oz glass of milk everyday is perfectly fine.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I dont mind Almond milk. Taste a little different but you can get used to it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    But...why?
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with drinking a glass of milk every day?
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Since am lactose intolerant, I do not drink milk. I drink almond milk or almond/coconut blend milk. They are very good with cereal or with protein shake. Even my children and hubby like it too.
  • SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have milk everyday and im still losing weight really well!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I see you're drinking one percent. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.
  • KeishaJo
    KeishaJo Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

I am really, really new at this and I've been reading online about some of the foods that I eat. One of them is milk. I really, really love milk. Many of the online reviews that I have read are really quite negative- tying milk to certain types of cancers and such. Today, I watched this film called Forks Over Knives and to be honest what the film said about milk concerned me. I know I need to continue to read on my own, but I thought I would ask for opinions on here as well since we are all trying to be healthier.
  • KeishaJo
    KeishaJo Posts: 45
    Options
    To answer the 1st question: I cut back to meet my calorie goals- I'm not lactose intolerant.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I drink 12 oz of skim milk everyday.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Most mammals become lactose intolerant after they're weaned but about 75% of humans retain the ability to digest milk. If it was so bad for you then why would humans retain the ability to digest milk in such large numbers? If it causes you stomach problems then drop it but otherwise there's no compelling evidence to cut dairy out of your diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    It may not sound right coming from me, but milk really ISN'T needed in the diet. The main reason people drink it is because of calcium. However calcium can be derived from many other sources.
    If I'm being unbiased in my research, there is really no scientific studies showing that people who don't have dairy in their diets suffer from lack of calcium.
    Now that's NOT to say don't have it if you like it. Personally I would NEVER give up yogurt, cheese and ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KelsThompski
    Options
    someone told me to think about it this way... after that milk grossed me out. We are the only species on the planet that drinks anothers milk.... I dont eat any dairy! Althought i love it, i am not lactose intolerant either but being a nutritionist and personal trainer i dont recommend it to any clients. The body does not function well with dairy. It stores the fat between the muscle and skin and makes it harder to lose actual body fat.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 pounds in 6 weeks and drink milk everyday. Don't cut it out unless you WANT to I'd say?
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you like whole, then drink it. Lowfat milk is a scam...the producers remove all the good stuff and youre left with crap that they charge the same as whole for.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I switched to unsweetened soy milk in my tea. I can't drink it black bleurgh, & I don't use sugar or sweetener. Tastes just fine :wink: