Milk???

Options

Replies

• littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    Good Idea! Milk (COWS) is sooo bad for humAN CONSUMPTION! It does nothing for our bones we cant even absorb the "calcium" we are supposedly getting from it..It actually depletes the calcium from your bones....Stick with Almond milk...make your own if you have to

According to the National Dairy Council, milk is filled with nine essential nutrients that benefit our health:

Calcium: Builds healthy bones and teeth; maintains bone mass
    Protein: Serves as a source of energy; builds/repairs muscle tissue
    Potassium: Helps maintain a healthy blood pressure
    Phosphorus: Helps strengthen bones and generate energy
    Vitamin D: Helps maintain bones
    Vitamin B12: Maintains healthy red blood cells and nerve tissue
    Vitamin A: Maintains the immune system; helps maintain normal vision and skin
    Riboflavin (B2): Converts food into energy
    Niacin: Metabolizes sugars and fatty acids
    In other words, milk packs quite a punch when it comes to nutrition—and you don't have to drink a gallon to reap the benefits, the National Dairy Council says. In fact, the council says that just one 8-ounce glass of milk provides the same amount of vitamin D you'd get from 3.5 ounces of cooked salmon, as much calcium as 2 1/4 cups of broccoli, as much potassium as a small banana, as much vitamin A as two baby carrots and as much phosphorus as a cup of kidney beans!

Milk and Weight Loss

All of these nutrients contribute to our overall health and wellness, and they can even play a part in weight loss, says Dr. Brian Roy, an associate professor of applied health sciences at Canada's Brock University.

Dr. Roy published a study on the impact milk has on the body post-exercise. While he admits there's some controversy surrounding milk's influence on weight loss and body fat in general, he also shares that recent studies have shown that when milk was consumed by young adults after weight training, they lost more body fat and gained more muscle mass than those who had consumed different drinks that contained the same energy and macronutrients.

And you were saying, prove your claims from doctors and peer reviewed articles not gossip crap on the internet!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with milk.

Drink it if you like it.
    31412 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Haha, I was waiting for someone to say it!
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It is so weird to me that people make statements like "I am going to give up milk" but dont give a reason. I love milk. I just had a chocolate chip cookie and a glass of ice cold milk. Life is good.:smile:
  • littlelady2b
    Options
    Good Idea! Milk (COWS) is sooo bad for humAN CONSUMPTION! It does nothing for our bones we cant even absorb the "calcium" we are supposedly getting from it..It actually depletes the calcium from your bones....Stick with Almond milk...make your own if you have to

Sources for your claims?

Source: Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. American Journal of Public Health. 1997).

That source is too old to even consider. It's 16 years old a lot of research has been done since then.
  • littlelady2b
    Options
    I drink a glass of skim milk every day with a Lactaid pill since I'm lactose intolerant!!

The advantage of fat-free milk over whole milk cannot be stressed enough. The fat in whole milk is mostly saturated animal fat, which is the kind that raises blood cholesterol. And when you compare the percentage of calories from fat per serving, whole milk checks in at 50 percent; fat-free milk at 4 percent. So you can really see the fat savings you'll reap if you make the switch. And if you do it gradually, switching first to 2 percent, then 1 percent, then fat-free, the transition is painless.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/natural-foods/natural-weight-loss-food-skim-milk-ga.htm

I love my 2% milk it's great skim to me tastes like watered down milk but I have to say if you like it then that's great.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Milk goes great with chocolate chip cookies!
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like milk too much to give it up.:drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It's 10pm. I have 500 calories left (not sure how I messed up so bad, lol) I'm gonna gave some cookies with some ice cold tasty 2% milk. Yum. Calories worth spending.
  • littlelady2b
    Options

Sources for your claims?

Source: Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. American Journal of Public Health. 1997).

"CONCLUSIONS:

These data do not support the hypothesis that higher consumption of milk or other food sources of calcium by adult women protects against hip or forearm fractures."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9224182

Not preventing fractures and actively causing them are two completely different things.

Man! Yall are different! Would you feed you kitten you wife's breast milk? No of course you wouldnt so why do you think a cow would want to feed you milk for their babies???
    Its bad..Show me proof that it does the body good!...and I will wait cause there is none! None at all!!!
    Cows have 4 stomach(1 with 4 chambers) but common sense would tell you hey maybe theres something in the cows stomachses lol that would allow them to digest the milk!!! But no! you wanna play Captain try-some-milk...Do whatever all I know is if you child is has an ear infection take away that milk and about bet the ear infection would go away too.. *Drops Mic* lolol

Those comparisons are ridiculous but I do have a question for you do you eat beef??? Or are you a vegetarian or a vegan? because those cows that produce that milk also give us a large portion of our protein in our diet right along with their milk, cheese etc. Much of which is in a lot of food we feed to our children so are you just against one part of the cow or the whole cow? Just curios? Oh and btw just a little milk for thought for you even though mothers milk is the best this is also what people do who can't breast feed and why babies don't drink cows milk until they are 12 months old:

Why do babies have to wait until they are 12 months old to drink to cow’s milk?

Your baby’s digestive system isn’t ready to digest the proteins in cow’s milk until he reaches his first birthday. Cow’s milk also lacks many of the essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, zinc, and iron, that help an infant stay healthy and grow. And it has too much of other things, like sodium, potassium, and chloride, that could affect your baby’s kidneys. Introducing cow’s milk before your baby is a year old could result in iron deficiency, allergic reactions, and even internal bleeding.

Yikes. So why would I ever want to give my baby cow’s milk?

Once your baby hits his first birthday, his digestive system is ready for regular milk and all of its benefits. Milk contains almost all of the basic nutrients your growing toddler needs: fats, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, and (with the exception of iron) minerals. The calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A, and vitamin D found in most milk can help strengthen bones and teeth, fortify blood and muscles, and may help stave off many diseases – from high blood pressure to colon cancer – later in life.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used to drink nearly a gallon of skim milk a week. Now I am lucky if I get in one cup a week. Its the carbs and sugar. I need to try and fit in more because I LOVE milk and I miss it.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i drink almond milk or soy milk... mostly cause i don't care for the taste of cow's milk. i love plain almond milk in my cereal, and chocolate soy milk or almond milk for a treat. yum!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I generally only have milk very occasionally in a cappuccino as a treat, but do not have plain milk anymore. I never drank whole glasses of plain milk anyway, but noticed it was starting to give me digestive issues, the same as whey protein in the form of the powders did. Oddly, I am fine with greek yoghurt, cheese and cottage cheese, which I eat plenty of. I use hazelnut milk now for coffee and tea.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, I would rather eat my calories than drink them. I get all the nutrients I use to get from milk with all the vegetables, fat, and protein sources I eat now.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Cows have 4 stomach(1 with 4 chambers) but common sense would tell you hey maybe theres something in the cows stomachses lol that would allow them to digest the milk!!!

Actively incorrect. The cow's stomachs (rumen, reticulum, omasum, abomasum) are designed for the purpose of digesting grass. The abomasum is the true stomach -- the one that is evolutionarily equivalent to ours -- and when a calf is born, it is the only one that functions. The milk goes directly to the abomasum. There is nothing about the rumen, reticulum, or omasum involved in digesting milk.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I go with almond milk. can't afford the carbs in cows milk.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Cows have 4 stomach(1 with 4 chambers) but common sense would tell you hey maybe theres something in the cows stomachses lol that would allow them to digest the milk!!!

Actively incorrect. The cow's stomachs (rumen, reticulum, omasum, abomasum) are designed for the purpose of digesting grass. The abomasum is the true stomach -- the one that is evolutionarily equivalent to ours -- and when a calf is born, it is the only one that functions. The milk goes directly to the abomasum. There is nothing about the rumen, reticulum, or omasum involved in digesting milk.
    cowpwned! :bigsmile:
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Plenty of other species drink the milk of other species: Cats, Dogs, Cows, Chickens, Birds... Shall I go on?
  • unclemikey12
    Options
    I loved milk until my son told me more about how they milk those cows to death. And what really in milk, all the chemicals that they give those cow cause they are milking so much. It grossed me out so bad i can't even look at milk anymore.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

I see you're drinking one percent. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

Thanks Napoleon.