Milk???

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

I am really, really new at this and I've been reading online about some of the foods that I eat. One of them is milk. I really, really love milk. Many of the online reviews that I have read are really quite negative- tying milk to certain types of cancers and such. Today, I watched this film called Forks Over Knives and to be honest what the film said about milk concerned me. I know I need to continue to read on my own, but I thought I would ask for opinions on here as well since we are all trying to be healthier.

Everything is tied to cancer. Almond milk, soy milk, and pretty much anything else. Did you know that everyone that breathes dies? *gasp* lol.

OP, just drink the milk. I would, but I'm lactose intolerant.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of 1% every morning with my Kashi or Special K & I've lost 75+ pounds this year.. I think it's ok.
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    Go for Unsweetened Almond Milk! The best <3
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like milk. I recently switched to 1% milk from 2%. I'm not gonna get rid of milk, just keep it as a low intake.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Love my dairy! Are you becoming lactose intolerant? I say if you enjoy it and are not suffering any GI or allergy distress drink in moderation it is still caloric dense, but has many benefits.

Just a little FYI:

J Am Coll Nutr. 2005 Dec;24(6 Suppl):537S-46S.
    The role of dairy foods in weight management.
    Zemel MB
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16373953
    These concepts are confirmed by epidemiological data as well as recent clinical trials which demonstrate that diets which include at least three daily servings of dairy products result in significant reductions in body fat mass in obese humans in the absence of caloric restriction and markedly accelerates the weight and body fat loss secondary to caloric restriction compared to low dairy diets. These data indicate an important role for dairy products in both the ability to maintain a healthy weight and the management of overweight and obesity.

Int J Obes (Lond). 2012 Dec;36(12):1485-93. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2011.269. Epub 2012 Jan 17.
    Effect of dairy consumption on weight and body composition in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials.
    Abargouei AS, Janghorbani M, Salehi-Marzijarani M, Esmaillzadeh A.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22249225
    Increased dairy consumption without energy restriction might not lead to a significant change in weight or body composition; whereas inclusion of dairy products in energy-restricted weight loss diets significantly affects weight, body fat mass, lean mass and WC compared with that in the usual weight loss diets.

And if you really want to get crazy some studies have linked chocolate milk to a great post recovery drink after exercise:

Med Sport Sci. 2012;59:127-34. doi: 10.1159/000341954. Epub 2012 Oct 15.
    Chocolate milk: a post-exercise recovery beverage for endurance sports.
    Pritchett K, Pritchett R.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23075563
    Consuming chocolate milk (1.0-1.5•g•kg(-1) h(-1)) immediately after exercise and again at 2 h post-exercise appears to be optimal for exercise recovery and may attenuate indices of muscle damage. Future research should examine the optimal amount, timing, and frequency of ingestion of chocolate milk on post-exercise recovery measures including performance, indices of muscle damage, and muscle glycogen resynthesis.
  • DaveFassett
    DaveFassett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you like whole, then drink it. Lowfat milk is a scam...the producers remove all the good stuff and youre left with crap that they charge the same as whole for.
    Completely untrue.

Take some time to educate yourself before you speak.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    The only thing humans can soley consume and live a healthful full life is breast milk technically. A lot of animals can eat only a handful of things to live, but humans generally need a wide variety to sustain good quality of life... with that said... I'm not saying people should drink breast milk but...

If you know how your macros break down for the day you really don't have to give up that much. Denying yourself of something you enjoy will only put yourself at risk of binging later.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Good Idea! Milk (COWS) is sooo bad for humAN CONSUMPTION! It does nothing for our bones we cant even absorb the "calcium" we are supposedly getting from it..It actually depletes the calcium from your bones....Stick with Almond milk...make your own if you have to
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Good Idea! Milk (COWS) is sooo bad for humAN CONSUMPTION! It does nothing for our bones we cant even absorb the "calcium" we are supposedly getting from it..It actually depletes the calcium from your bones....Stick with Almond milk...make your own if you have to

Sources for your claims?
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i love milk, i drink cow's milk full fat 4% milk every day.
    it has not affected my weight loss. and i don't mind almond milk in cereal, but for drinking, i MUST have my cow's milk.
    my son & i drink about 2-3 gallons per week between the 2 of us.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i used to love milk but i cut it out 2 years ago because i didnt want to drink my cals. tried again recently and now i can take it or leave.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I cut milk out for awhile when I was calorie counting but I have recently added it back in with my protein shake. I like the taste and it works well for me. Moderation is the key.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

I see you're drinking one percent. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.
    I heart this
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I would marry milk if that weren't weird - that's how much I love it.

Thing is, I don't believe in cutting anything out for good. If you like it, have it - in moderation.

Milk is good for you, anyways. There's a lot worse things for you to crave of be addicted to.

Enjoy the milk :)
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

I see you're drinking one percent. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.
    LOL! LOVE napoleon!!!!
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Sources for your claims?

Source: Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. American Journal of Public Health. 1997).
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of skim milk every day with a Lactaid pill since I'm lactose intolerant!!

The advantage of fat-free milk over whole milk cannot be stressed enough. The fat in whole milk is mostly saturated animal fat, which is the kind that raises blood cholesterol. And when you compare the percentage of calories from fat per serving, whole milk checks in at 50 percent; fat-free milk at 4 percent. So you can really see the fat savings you'll reap if you make the switch. And if you do it gradually, switching first to 2 percent, then 1 percent, then fat-free, the transition is painless.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/natural-foods/natural-weight-loss-food-skim-milk-ga.htm
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you love milk and aren't lactose intolerant...then why cut out milk? Having an 8 oz glass of milk everyday is perfectly fine.

Because I can't trust myself to not take a big gulp from the container every time I walk past the fridge. For me, having milk on-hand is just like an alcoholic having "only one drink"... it doesn't work.

I have almond milk for making oatmeal, but I don't like it enough on its own to actually consider drinking it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My question is: why?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My question is: why?

Because OP watched Forks over Knives and is scared because cow milk is "linked" with cancer supposedly. *le sigh*