can you eat what you want and lose weight?

Basically I want to know if you can eat what you want, as long as it's within your calorie goal? I've had a peak at a few members food diarys and it seems that people are eating what they want e.g chocolate,chips,cakes etc and they seem to have lost weight.
Can you still lose weight if these foods come under your calorie limits? Or is it best to give them up?

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    no reason to give up anything.

you can absolutely eat whatever you want. you, however, cannot likely eat how MUCH you want. it's all about finding a balance.
  • overs5
    overs5 Posts: 20 Member
    eat what you want in moderation.. as long as you stay within your calories..eat drink and be happy :drinker:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I regularly eat fast food, ice cream, sugar drinks and other junk food. As long as I stay within my calorie budget all is well.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    yes.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    You can still lose weight. However, I have found that calories in certain foods do not work the same as calories in other foods, at least for my body.
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    I can't. I have to eat a well balanced, high protein meals and snacks to loose weight. The closest junk I come to is my skinny pop, popcorn. I tried to eat junk, didn't work for me.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I eat anything I want to eat. Period. With that said, I am finding that I am starting to make better decisions. I love ice cream, I found a very good tasting no sugar added. Things like that will come later, for now, just hit your calorie goal.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    I definitely have treats when I want them and I fit them into my calorie goal. But for me, when I fill up all my calories with junk my weight loss slows way way down, or stops. That's just me though, other people may be different. Or it could be water retention. Who knows. Some people say calories are calories and it doesn't matter but idk how much truth there is to that.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    eat what you want in moderation.. as long as you stay within your calories..eat drink and be happy :drinker:

This. If I ever banned a food it would probably jump back at me in a huge craving so I ban nothing.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Works for me!
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    How I understand it - in the beginning the weight comes off 'fairly easy' (unless you have some sort of medical issue of course) as long as you just stay w/in the calorie budget to lose weight. (takes 3500 calories outgoing to lose 1lb a week....most find that with a balance of fitness and food)....

in the beginning it is 'easier' and you can eat usually 'whatever you want' - but i've heard from others who get closest to their ultimate goal weight - that's when you have to start worrying more about the 'balanced diet'

good luck! :)
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    I eat what I want, when I want, just not as much as I used to want.
    I have fast food, desserts, pizza, beer etc. Just not as much as I did when I was heavier. I also dont eat it as often as I used to. I do make better choices though and try to eat healthier options.

But I am not going to avoid eating out or having drinks with friends just to lose weight. If I did, I will never lose weight or get into shape because I would just give up.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Works/is working for me :flowerforyou:
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Yes, you can. If it fits into your daily calorie goal.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 236 Member
    If you cut out foods you love how will you learn what a day in your cal goal is like with these foods? You will not be on mfp forever and need to learn how many cals these foods have and their macros so you start getting an idea of if you eat this how much should I have. Also what would happen when you add them back in? If this is a lifestyle change it should be something you can keep forever. Im 5'5 eat 2000 cals and I find it manageable. =)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    It depends on the person. Some people can lose while eating junk food, others can't. There is no one rule that works for everyone. I've met people who can never eat any sugary foods at all or they go into a binge spiral that undoes all their weight loss efforts. Others can have sweets every day without issue. It just depends on how your body responds.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    I eat what I want to, pizza, fried chicken and chocolate ( every single day on the chocolate) included. I don't give up anything, but I do eat sensibly ( i.e., two fried chicken thighs instead of 4 or 5 pieces, two slices of pizza instead of half a pie) and I'm steadily losing weight... It does help that I do a lot of gardening and farm work. I've never gone to a gym. I may add; I never do cheat days, don't believe in that, and have no need to.
  • befreakingstrong
    befreakingstrong Posts: 1 Member
    Here's my take--for what it's worth! I think that the foundation of the food that you eat should be whole grains, veggies, lean protein, and lots of water. With that said, I think it's super important to treat yourself every day. Figure out the few things that are really "the bomb" for you, and have small amounts as a treat for eating well, exercising hard, a birthday, etc. I don't think that you can eat 'what you want' all day every day and still maintain a healthy weight. I weigh just five pounds more today than I did when I got married, which was 16 years and 5 kids ago! I am grateful that my mom taught me the basics of good, solid nutrition as a basis for my life. Thanks, Mom!!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    If you have a medical issue, no you can not. At 80 pounds overweight, you need to make sure you're not insulin resistance before you start eating pizza or icecream. It will make losing weight harder for you and lead to diabetes.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    You can, but it's pretty hard not to go over. Plus if you eat a lot of junk food/fast food you wont get a lot of nutrients and by doing this for many years it can cause issues when you are older.

I eat fast food/junk food every once in a while, normally when I do, I try not to eat more than 1 meal a day.

But yes, if you meet your macros (carbs, protein, etc) and your calories, you, essentially, will lose weight.