can you eat what you want and lose weight?

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Calories in vs calories out.

However, do appreciate that the type of calories in may affect the calories out.

For me, I'm not convinced it massively does - maybe for others it does more.

(For instance this article http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html suggests that if you're reasonably healthy, how you get your carbs doesn't really matter.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I eat what I want, when I want, just not as much as I used to want.

That pretty much sums it up. :smile:

As far as dropping pounds, all that matters is calories. For health and fitness, nutrition matters. That doesn't mean that you can't eat the foods you love... you just need to balance them. That's where the If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) approach comes in. It doesn't mean "eat whatever you want," it's "eat what you want if it fits within your nutrition goals."

If I've hit my protein goals, fat goals, had a good amount of fruits and vegetables and still have room... hell, yeah, I'm having some ice cream or chocolate!
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    I can't, but that's because I have PCOS. Dairy, pasta and bread just do not work with my body anymore.

Edit: I still do.. but I've also been on a plateau for 6 months.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    While you could maintain a lower calorie count eating junk food or fast food, the calories you get would be empty calories — calories without any nutritional value. This means your body would not be properly nourished, which it needs to be in order to function properly. Avoid foods with too much added sugar, fat, salt and cholesterol, and focus on consuming fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. Eating three meals a day spread out at least 3 to 4 hours apart keeps your metabolism steady and allows time for proper digestion.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/533768-can-you-eat-what-you-want-still-lose-weight-as-long-as-you-exercise/#ixzz2XqLG0z49
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    No foods are completely off limit (I think that's one of the reasons "dieting" fails so frequently). Measure & keep within your caloric goals.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Here's my take--for what it's worth! I think that the foundation of the food that you eat should be whole grains, veggies, lean protein, and lots of water. With that said, I think it's super important to treat yourself every day. Figure out the few things that are really "the bomb" for you, and have small amounts as a treat for eating well, exercising hard, a birthday, etc. I don't think that you can eat 'what you want' all day every day and still maintain a healthy weight. I weigh just five pounds more today than I did when I got married, which was 16 years and 5 kids ago! I am grateful that my mom taught me the basics of good, solid nutrition as a basis for my life. Thanks, Mom!!

Well put!!
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    As long as you know what your trigger foods are. I cannot a few Hershey 's kisses. If I eat one, I will eat 10. So I avoid all trigger foods. Ice cream too, I cannot eat it in moderation. I can however, eat just a few potato chips. Other than my trigger foods, I eat what I want.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    You can eat what you want as long as you want what you need... does that make sense?
  • cwannabee
    cwannabee Posts: 23 Member
    Medical conditions not withstanding, theorhetically you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight as long as output is greater than input (calories consumed are less that calories expended).

However, what you will find is that those items like cookies, ice cream, 'junk' food, etc. are so high in calories that you can't eat much before you max out your calorie count for the day. Then you find yourself hungry and raiding the pantry at 5pm. Fruits, veggies, and other 'healthy' foods often (there are exceptions) tend to be lower in calorie so you can eat a greater quatity of those items in a day and feel full and are less likely to go over your calories. This is what I have found anyway.

My advice is to take small steps. Make one change at a time. Make sure it is a change you can live with for the rest of your life. Get that one change under control then make another one.

I used to drink a lot of soda. That was a lot of calories I was comsuming by drinking and I knew there was a more efficient way to use those calories. First I cut back to two sodas a week. Then one. Eventually I found I didn't even need that. I still do have soda on occaision. I eat out and rarely order sald. I don't eat low fat or 'diet' items and yet here I am almst 70 lbs lighter than when I started.

It's about a lifestyle change, take baby steps...you can do this!
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    I can't. When I allow myself junk food and stay within my calories I don't lose weight, but if I make wise choices (lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains, my body responds and I lose weight consistently.

This is a lifelong change I am making, so to avoid binges, I do allow myself treats here and there, realizing that they will slow down my progress, but I need to make this something I can live with. I allow myself a treat, but seek to make it an occasional treat.
  • 4men1lady79
    4men1lady79 Posts: 112 Member
    I have less energy when I eat junk...I not only want to lose weight but also be healthier...I eat mostly healthy with the occasional "junk"...If I crave it I will have a taste but not overdo it regardless of how many calories I have left. I just personally prefer feeding my body the "good" more than the "bad" and my body loves it and responds to it better than when I was eating mostly the other stuff...
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    I would err on the safe side and go for moderation and making smarter choices, ie buying/making healthier versions of the things you like. For instance I used to eat 2 bagels with way too much cream cheese for breakfast; now I'll have 1 whole wheat english muffin + 2 tblspon light cream cheese and maybe a banana and cup of skim milk and I'll be good to go for hours. The best thing is that it still tastes delicious!

You can make healthier versions of just about anything, just look around on these forums and elsewhere on the net for ideas!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    My 78 lb loss says yes you can eat what you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal. That is not to say I have made no changes but I have not eliminated anything either and you must weigh and measure your food, don't guesstimate :smile:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    The OP didn't ask if eating certain foods makes some people binge on more of that food. That's a whole different ball game. There's a difference between staying in your calorie budget eating what you want and eating some ice cream and then pigging out on the whole carton. If you are someone that can't control your eating then it might be wise to avoid those foods although for me I know that as soon as you tell me I can't have ice cream that's all I think about until it does become a binge!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    It's worked for me so far!
    I wouldn't recommend eating an entire day's worth of junk food, because that would most likely use the majority of your calories very quickly and leave you feeling unsatisfied. You get more bang for your calorie buck if you try to make healthier choices throughout the day.
    For me, moderation is key. I'll happily load up my dinner plate with steamed broccoli (mostly because I love broccoli) and then have a couple slices of pizza or a cupcake for dessert. But I've found that by NOT eliminating anything from my diet, my new lifestyle has been incredibly easy to stick to. :smile:
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Wouldn't work for me... May work for you
  • laytheaub
    laytheaub Posts: 12
    For me, the more junk I eat, the more I crave it and when I eat crap, I feel like crap. I have to stay completely away from junk food in order to stay on track and focused.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    In my experience I cannot just eat whatever I want. I know if I eat junk my body craves it. I can tell when I have been eating cleaner (nearly no processed foods) because my body runs better and doesn't even think about eating those things. For me I would just much rather not eat junk and feel better. Plus I love eating- and I can eat way more things in a day if I eat nonprocessed junky food.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    I used to and lost a bit. But now I am getting to where certain things are making me sick, so I have to eat a lot of things homemade. When I don't it makes me sicker then a dog.

I believe in the beginning you can, but as I am finding, I am having to tweek my foods quite a bit. I can't eat fast food anymore because I get nauseous and sleepy and headaches. I am also finding, as of late, that me and sugar are kinda clashing because if I eat too much of it, I get nauseous and the runs (TMI i know), I have too little and I get headaches and lethargic.

Before anyone says anything, yes my doctor is aware of it and we are in the process of finding out what is going on.

But to answer your question, yes.
  • madmiya
    madmiya Posts: 66 Member
    portion control i guess.

i just use my rice bowl (1c) and smaller (1/2c) to eat with. even if you have to refill a small plate you're more conscious than if you devour one huge serving. it doesn't make you behave, it just makes you aware.

and yeah, this afternoon at lunch i was pretty dumb. i ate a small bowl of baked fries and went back for another, but i was pretty conscious of it and balanced it out later. sorta, heh.