I'm sooooo hungry

Options

Replies

• jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You might look into intermittent fasting. When I do the "eat small meals every 4 hours" thing, I am actually hungrier all damn day long - like I never actually feel full and constantly want more to eat. Instead, I concentrate my calories into a smaller period of time - I eat all of my daily calories in an 8 hour window most days - meaning I get larger, more satisfying meals. I usually eat between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., so basically I just skip what most people call "breakfast." I'm still eating the same amount of food overall. Most days I'm not even hungry in the morning - just water and coffee are fine for me - though if I'm actually hungry, I will eat in the morning.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Drink more water. Eat More Veggies and Cheese and Protein. You do not need more sugar or youll never lose the weight.

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH - Sugar doesn't make you FAT - too many calories makes you fat!

Sugar does not make you fat but it does tell your body to release insulin which tells your body to be hungry. Look up the sugar and insulin cycle.

I must be a freak because carbs are what keep me from being hungry. Also, protein spikes insulin.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    you have to eat snacks every 4 hours for your metabolism to continue kicking and to prevent your body to go on starvation mode. oatmeal, fruits (apple, banana,orange,strawberries, blueberries,grapefruit, cantaloupe and more), almonds, carrots, celery, yogurt, almond butter, peanut butter are some of the healthy snacks you can try.

Nope. Total broscience.

Losing weight np at all and a couple weeks into maintaining i suddenly was sooooo hungry. So after @CyberTone pointed me in the right direction i started to read up on it. And solved my hunger issues, so now i am fine again :)

What did you change to help your hunger issues? I see on your other post that you balance your calories from day to day, which is pretty much what I'm doing, but I'm still hungry more often than not.

@Francl27

I upped my carbs and protein as much as possible.
    And try to get lot of leaf greens like Spinach which has lots of leptin. And my leptin values are up. But when they come down again i agreed with my doctor to start taking a supplement with leptin.
    For now it is good again. And sure enough no hunger anymore just like before.

btw on days that i need more i even eat Surplus now with as option to walk 20 minutes more. Or eat the next day a bit less. But when i feel i need it i eat definitely more protein and carbs ( yogurt and popcorn are my to go to). And stuff myself with Spinach and remain lettuce next to my normal food. Better a bit Surplus than fighting it and feeling like *kitten*. The next day i solve it again. And i range fine. Keeping my weight steady

Carbs 55%,
    Protein 25%,
    Fat 20%

95069916.png

• BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    btw dont get me wrong i get a healthy appetite after my exercise or and before dinner etc
    But normal

The thing was i was abnormally hungry. Like indeed feeling bad and could eat everything in the house. Which isnt me at all.
    Not before i lost weight or during my weight loss.

So i am not talking here about a normal healthy appetite or being a bit hungry because you did more work/exercise or it is an hour for dinner time...
    Than i just wait. After all you are not going to die of waiting a bit till it is time to eat.
    ( i eat 3 meals a day and snack 2 times).

There is a big difference between "normal" hunger which is controlled with some patience and discipline
    Or being short of Leptin ( you feel really weak/fatigue, sick, hungry, bad taste n your mouth, stomach grumbles, tired etc)
    Than it really is time to go to a doctor because you can do something about it.

95069916.png
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It really fascinates me that everyone has their proven method of what works for them. Some eat more often, some eat less often, some eat more protein and less carbs, some eat early and not late and then some don't eat early but eat late, some eat no dairy, some eat lots of dairy and then some are vegan. I have truly come to believe that you have to find what works for you, your lifestyle and your body. If you are asking for advice then you are willing to try something different. Good for you and take each piece of advice with a grain of salt...... I don't believe there are very many doctors or nutritionists on here, just everyday people passing on the things that have worked well for them. Something's might work for you and others may not. You have some great suggestions posted above, good luck.
  • katerinabowler
    katerinabowler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. It's helpful to have new things to try, just to change things around at bit. I got my blood test results, and it looks like my medication needs adjusting, so maybe that'll make a difference.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    btw I am talking of course about the situation when you eat enough calories to feed your body.

Not when you eat 1200 calories and you exercise daily for hundreds and dont eat anything back....of course you are hungry then. You just need to eat in that situation and feed your body the nutrition's it is working for.

I mean when you eat proper calories and than get abnormal hungry.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    you have to eat snacks every 4 hours for your metabolism to continue kicking and to prevent your body to go on starvation mode. oatmeal, fruits (apple, banana,orange,strawberries, blueberries,grapefruit, cantaloupe and more), almonds, carrots, celery, yogurt, almond butter, peanut butter are some of the healthy snacks you can try.

Nope. Total broscience.

Losing weight np at all and a couple weeks into maintaining i suddenly was sooooo hungry. So after @CyberTone pointed me in the right direction i started to read up on it. And solved my hunger issues, so now i am fine again :)

What did you change to help your hunger issues? I see on your other post that you balance your calories from day to day, which is pretty much what I'm doing, but I'm still hungry more often than not.

@Francl27

I upped my carbs and protein as much as possible.
    And try to get lot of leaf greens like Spinach which has lots of leptin. And my leptin values are up. But when they come down again i agreed with my doctor to start taking a supplement with leptin.
    For now it is good again. And sure enough no hunger anymore just like before.

btw on days that i need more i even eat Surplus now with as option to walk 20 minutes more. Or eat the next day a bit less. But when i feel i need it i eat definitely more protein and carbs ( yogurt and popcorn are my to go to). And stuff myself with Spinach and remain lettuce next to my normal food. Better a bit Surplus than fighting it and feeling like *kitten*. The next day i solve it again. And i range fine. Keeping my weight steady

Carbs 55%,
    Protein 25%,
    Fat 20%

95069916.png

Which one do you take, if you don't mind sharing please?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    not taking anything yet...like i said start taking. But i will take whatever he suggest or subscribes. When that time comes...ever.
    I am doing great now
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    not taking anything yet...like i said start taking. But i will take whatever he suggest or subscribes. When that time comes...ever.
    I am doing great now

Thank you. Not that I trust the internet for health-related things, but I did find this on webmd.com:
    "Essentially, research on leptin is in the experimental stage and there is no need to take it unless you are one of about 100 people in the world who do not produce it.

Because leptin is a digestible protein that doesn’t enter the bloodstream, it can’t be taken in supplement form. Your body would just break it up.

Leptin supplements sold on the internet don’t actually contain leptin, even though their name indicates they do. Instead, these supplements contain ingredients that are purported to help improve leptin functioning or feelings of fullness."
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    that is why i said before ask your doctor and yes it is all experimental still.

For now i seem to do good on more foods with zinc in it and leptin and upping my protein and carbs.

I would never take supplements just like that. Don't see the use without lab tests done and a doctor telling me results and how to solve the issues.
    Lot of people buy/take supplements just like that...unneeded waste of money for a lot of them. I rather let a doctor or by myself run some lab tests ( 50 to 75 dollars here in LV) and know what i am short of.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    I agree. I am the same. I don't just take random supplements without knowing what is in them or unless my doctor recommends them. Interesting, still. Next time I'm at the doctor I think I'll have one of these tests run just out of curiosity.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    yes ask for a lab test and specially for your hormone's tested. And from what i understand you dont even have to go to a doctor.
    Here in LV you can run lab tests by yourself too. Cost of course something and you have to know what you read about the outcome lol

i just asked the doctor :)

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's just so odd that upping carbs helped for you. I have to reduce mine and focus on whole grains/fiber if I want to stop being hungry.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's just so odd that upping carbs helped for you. I have to reduce mine and focus on whole grains/fiber if I want to stop being hungry.

But who says your hunger is leptin/hormone related?

Some people just dont eat enough or calculate their activity level wrong or not logging right or over/under estimate their exercise etc etc.

Only proper testing can determent if you are out of balanced ( hormome's) or are short of something. And nobody here can tell you were your hunger is coming from.
    Some people say i log right....while they dont. Other say i exercise for 1000 calories a day lol doing the laundry...whatever.
    So what i mean is, nobody here can see what for issues there are in each person. Only the person them self by taking action and try things out, go to a doctor, changing diets/habits etc.

I give only info for what i have experienced and some people will have help with that others dont.
    All depends what your issue is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

But who says your hunger is leptin/hormone related?

Some people just dont eat enough or calculate their activity level wrong or not logging right or over/under estimate their exercise etc etc.

Only proper testing can determent if you are out of balanced ( hormome's) or are short of something. And nobody here can tell you were your hunger is coming from.
    Some people say i log right....while they dont. Other say i exercise for 1000 calories a day lol doing the laundry...whatever.
    So what i mean is, nobody here can see what for issues there are in each person. Only the person them self by taking action and try things out, go to a doctor, changing diets/habits etc.

I give only info for what i have experienced and some people will have help with that others dont.
    All depends what your issue is.

It's interesting none the less! Did you have to do extensive blood testing to check your hormones?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    typed a whole story and lost it...dang phone

ok yes you can ask for it.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So true - sugar doesn't make you fat. It makes you hungry.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Thank you burnwithbarn I shall read up on it. Is there a way of increasing leptin? Maybe a holiday in the sun! I do definitely feel more hungry when it's cold... And it's really cold here in the uk at the moment!

You can never increase your leptin levels to where they were before you lost weight, but they will increase if you spend about two weeks in maintenance.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I know everyone's different, but for me decreasing carbs and increasing fats makes a huge difference in hunger and cravings (even without changing calories). Might be worth trying.