The more I exercise, the more my body adapts to calories and I can't slim further.

Options

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    edival wrote: »
    The anti-fat recommendations were never widely done by the population. Carbs are NOT the reason people are overweight.
    Cutting back on CALORIES will reduce excess fats.

And it's proven your body requires barely 60 grams of protein and fats per day which is way below your energy needs so that you need ZERO carbohydrates is completely and utterly irrelevant because if you only ate the macronutrients you needed without paying attention to your energy needs, you'd starve to death all the same.

The anti-fat regulations were followed quite well actually, but not in the way you're thinking. What happened is that food producers took the recommendations and removed fat from everything they could (think yogurt as one item) and replaced the tasty fat with added sugar. All this extra sugar is far from good for our bodies, in fact, many people say it's toxic (Look up author Dr. Robert Lustig).

It's funny that for macronutrients, carbs and protein provide 4 kCal of energy, but fats provide 9 kCal... that's a huge boost in energy. Also, fats are satiating and as such you don't need as much and aren't hungry all the time, whereas carbs cause an insulin spike and follow with an insulin crash which causes hunger as your body needs more sugars for energy. Oh, also, your body can hold onto about 2000 calories of energy in the form of glucose, whereas your body can store about 15,000 calories of energy in fats. This is why those who are fat adapted can run/bike, etc for very long times (6-10+ hours) on just water, whereas someone who uses glucose as energy require additional fuel during that same time.

What you say is true for someone who hasn't converted their body to using fat for energy, if you choose to fast as a glucose burner, you would in fact starve to death as your body requires glucose and doesn't have access to the fats as easily.

I fail to see what your keto evangelism has to do with the OP's question about eating back exercise calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sorry that's just not true OP. I've reached 15% body fat and I'm 45, with just the same amount of calories as when I was 19.
    This is on a pretty high carb diet, with syrup, wine, pasta etc etc.
    Calories in calories out.
    I also time my nutrients but it still all works out, whether I was eating one big meal at night or 25 small ones.

Fair enough, not everyone is metabolically challenged. Many people can continue to eat as many carbs as they wish and stay thin. There are 2 parts to this though, 1 is that they stay thin, but are still in fact, metabolically challenged and as such have a very high amount of visceral fat. This is fat that surrounds the organs and is a very high indicator of heart disease and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, among other issues.

The second part is that they're genetically blessed with having a perfect metabolism and have nothing to worry about.

This is something that everyone "can" benefit hugely from, but not everyone needs to do it, such as yourself.

Having the knowledge that there are alternatives to eating, and perhaps better methods isn't a bad thing and attacking an alternative will only do a disservice to the OP.

So if you eat carbs and are thin you're either genetically blessed or you're skinny fat and will have heart disease? Oh, okay.

When you hear hoof beats, think of horses, not zebras. OP is not losing weight therefore the first thing to do is to increase her caloric deficit. She can do that by cutting calories (carbs, fat protein, doesn't matter what combo) or increasing exercise or a combination. Since it sounds like she already is exercising a fair bit, the easiest thing to do is look at her calorie intake. She provides no details as to how many calories she's eating. My suggestion is to look at what she's been logging and then cut from there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Sorry that's just not true OP. I've reached 15% body fat and I'm 45, with just the same amount of calories as when I was 19.
    I also time my nutrients but it still all works out, whether I was eating one big meal at night or 25 small ones.

Fair enough, not everyone is metabolically challenged. Many people can continue to eat as many carbs as they wish and stay thin. There are 2 parts to this though, 1 is that they stay thin, but are still in fact, metabolically challenged and as such have a very high amount of visceral fat. This is fat that surrounds the organs and is a very high indicator of heart disease and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, among other issues.

The second part is that they're genetically blessed with having a perfect metabolism and have nothing to worry about.

This is something that everyone "can" benefit hugely from, but not everyone needs to do it, such as yourself.

Having the knowledge that there are alternatives to eating, and perhaps better methods isn't a bad thing and attacking an alternative will only do a disservice to the OP.

Ahhh...typical low carb evangelism...it's either low carb or you must be eating as many carbs as you wish...

What about diets such as the Mediterranean diet (which I bring up because that is largely what my diet is founded upon)? This tends to be a diet high in whole grains, whole food starches (yes...even the devil potato...ermergerd) vegetables, fruit, lean protein, and healthy fats...it is not a diet of "eat as much as you wish"....I'm 41 and all of my health markers have improved dramatically...and I'm pretty friggin' lean and fit.

I don't think I'm genetically blessed with anything...I eat a healthy and balanced diet...you evangelicals are always trying to compare your low carb diet with eating whatever the hell you want...it doesn't work that way...compare apples to apples for a change and get off your friggin' preacher boxes.
  • edival
    edival Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    CICO is one way to look at it, but I guarantee one gram of sugar doesn't equal one gram of coconut oil to the body. The body treats both extremely differently.

Again, suit yourself, but in my opinion, it's worth educating yourself about the science.

I keep saying that if I were to go back 5 years and told myself what I know now, I wouldn't believe it. It often takes a major life change or frustration to be open to the idea because we've all been taught since birth that fat is bad and carbs ("healthy whole grains" etc) are good. This has been proven not to be the case and most people won't believe it until they're ready because it's extremely difficult to process new data into their firmly held beliefs, diet is one of those types of beliefs.

Just trying to be helpful is all.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    CICO is one way to look at it, but I guarantee one gram of sugar doesn't equal one gram of coconut oil to the body. The body treats both extremely differently.

Again, suit yourself, but in my opinion, it's worth educating yourself about the science.

I keep saying that if I were to go back 5 years and told myself what I know now, I wouldn't believe it. It often takes a major life change or frustration to be open to the idea because we've all been taught since birth that fat is bad and carbs ("healthy whole grains" etc) are good. This has been proven not to be the case and most people won't believe it until they're ready because it's extremely difficult to process new data into their firmly held beliefs, diet is one of those types of beliefs.

Just trying to be helpful is all.

So how exactly did I go about cleaning up all of my *kitten* blood work and dropping 40 Lbs eating evil whole grains then? I mean, the Mediterranean diet is pretty well prescribed and proven to be successful in fixing these issues...it isn't high fat...but according to you, it's a bad diet...even though it works just as well as your diet for most people....

Preacher man...
  • edival
    Options
    The Mediterranean diet is actually not a bad diet at all. It has a good mix of healthy fats and lower carbs.

BTW, I never once mentioned anything about keto, the point I'm making is that metabolically, carb tolerance is different for each person and someone who is now gaining weight or unable to lose weight despite continuing to get the same amount of exercise indicates that there may be some metabolic damage that is causing such a frustration.

Oh, and CICO is valid when you can curb your hunger and not feel the need to eat all the time which is the largest drawback to the SAD... constant hunger (for most people).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    OP, do you strength train? Its relatively common that no matter how much cardio you do, it becomes increasingly more difficult to get lean. Some people can do so, others run into a brick wall.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Nothing is wrong with a low carb diet but it's not necessary to lose or maintain weight. There are no advantages unless you have specific medical conditions. I'm a perfect apple and gain most all my weight in viceral fat and that is my genetics, and it defies your statements. I lost 45 pounds in 4 and a half months and have kept out off almost 2 years on a diet that is over 45% carbs.

Viceral fat is the biggest issue but it's not related to carbs but rather overeating your energy requirements.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Suit yourself.

It's proven that the body requires ZERO carbohydrates, it's not a macro that is required as the body has the ability to produce all the glucose it requires. That said, carbs are great, but we've been eating so much of them that we've become sick and obese over the past 40 years. (Since Ansel Keys anti-fat recommendations became promoted)

Just cutting back on sugars, grains and starches will, by default, reduce the excess fats.

If the OP is having trouble finding a way to reduce the extra fat, it's time to try something different.

BTW, here are 23 studies that prove that a LCHF diet works:
    http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

You keep saying "it's been proven". But the link you posted, just like all the other "proof" I've ever been offered, shows only that low carb gets better results than low fat. Not that low carb is the best way, or the only way, or even that low carb trumps CICO. Just that it's better than low fat.

I don't eat low carb or low fat. It's not like those are the only two options. I think it's slowly but surely becoming common knowledge that low fat was the wrong way to go. But no one here is suggesting low fat. CICO /= low fat.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    The Mediterranean diet is actually not a bad diet at all. It has a good mix of healthy fats and lower carbs.

BTW, I never once mentioned anything about keto, the point I'm making is that metabolically, carb tolerance is different for each person and someone who is now gaining weight or unable to lose weight despite continuing to get the same amount of exercise indicates that there may be some metabolic damage that is causing such a frustration.

Oh, and CICO is valid when you can curb your hunger and not feel the need to eat all the time which is the largest drawback to the SAD... constant hunger (for most people).

I don't think anyone really recommends the SAD...
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    "Metabolically challenged" Great way of putting it. At 62, that will be my new excuse if I fail this time.
  • edival
    Options
    Okay, you don't want to even consider what I'm saying, that's okay.

Continue on. I'm content doing what I do and I feel bad for those who don't wish to expand their knowledge, but I realize there's nothing I can do to help those people out.

Have an amazing day! :)
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Fats are evil! No carbs are the devil! Too much protein will also kill you! How about moderation? A balance? Something that will make you feel energized, healthy, and give you results at the same time? Carbohydrates help me with energy, fats balance my hormones and help with muscle building, protein also a major building block of muscle..I find that I need all of these to feel my healthiest self. And my body recomposition is a testiment to the fact that none of these macros are evil!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone -- I've been a Zumba teacher for three years, and I've noticed how I can exercise myself to oblivion (and exhaustion) and still have thick legs. I don't just mean like big calves, but my whole body seems to have what my brother calls a 'sheath of fat', the shakiest of it being on my legs. I am back on MFP because I like to see all the ways I sneak in food without noticing - I appreciate the self-accountability. My real question is whether one can REALLY just add back into one's daily calorie goal the calories burned? I am often under my daily goal numbers, and MFP cheerfully tells me that in 5 weeks I'll weigh some super dream-like number on the scale. If that were true, I would weigh it! So what gives? Should I ignore the calories burned? Should I even bother documenting the daily exercise?

I adore all my Zumba instructors and I bet you look great. I've thought about this probably more than is normal, but I think Zumba instructors are beautiful because of the energy they give off. That and your great posture and dazzling smile.

Fat sheaths can come in handy during a famine.

If you really want to get in to body reshaping, perhaps check out what the weightlifters do here. Do more weight work on your legs and arms while on a bulk, followed by a "cut".

But please do keep on smiling and shaking that booty, on behalf of adoring Zumba participants everywhere.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yes, but that isn't what people are doing. You have a lot of incorrect nutritional information and you're using that to make it seem as though LCHF is THE way to go. Unless genetically blessed with a perfect metabolism, of course.

Those incorrect ideas are what people are contradicting.

There is nothing wrong with eating LCHF if you choose to do so. Some people like eating that way. Some people feel better eating that way. There are a couple of medical conditions where LCHF would suit better than other diets.

And, BTW, swap out LCHF for any diet that meets the person's basic nutritional needs and the above is still true.

But a healthy person doesn't lose fat appreciably faster or slower on LCHF than on any other diet where calories are held equal. You can't get to a lower %BF with LCHF than is possible with any other balanced diet.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    chipdogwa wrote: »
    I agree with edival. Insulin resistance is a real thing. That's why so many diabetics are overweight no matter how much they cut calories. Same with hypothyroidism and women with PCOS. It just makes things harder. What you eat is just as important as how much you eat.

Actually, IR comes after weight gain, not before. The best way to increse sensitity is to lose viceral fat and that's a proven fact.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Wheelhouse15 this slim, fit doctor developed insulin resistance first. He challenges the idea that overweight causes insulin resistance.

https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_what_if_we_re_wrong_about_diabetes?language=en
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Okay, you don't want to even consider what I'm saying, that's okay.

Continue on. I'm content doing what I do and I feel bad for those who don't wish to expand their knowledge, but I realize there's nothing I can do to help those people out.

Have an amazing day! :)

Please do some real research, many of us have real backgrounds in the subject and you are discounting this with your Google U research.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Wheelhouse15 this slim, fit doctor developed insulin resistance first. He challenges the idea that overweight causes insulin resistance.

https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_what_if_we_re_wrong_about_diabetes?language=en

I'll look into that, it's not unheard of but it's not the norm. I should have qualified that statement so good catch. Just be aware that you always have that ubiquitous "one Doctor" on any subject that disagrees with the current body of research. The vast majority of the time they are simply wrong but sometimes they are right and this is how science continually improves.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The anti-fat regulations were followed quite well actually, but not in the way you're thinking. What happened is that food producers took the recommendations and removed fat from everything they could (think yogurt as one item) and replaced the tasty fat with added sugar. All this extra sugar is far from good for our bodies, in fact, many people say it's toxic (Look up author Dr. Robert Lustig)......

^That explains a lot. Lustig is a crackpot who has been widely panned for his pseudoscience/junk science. I put about as much stock in him as I do in Dr. Oz. I suppose Mercola is next as a source?

None of this has anything to do with the OP's question anyway. "Low carb miracle" evangelizing aside, CICO is the correct answer.