Options

Replies

• rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    w1ldwood wrote: »
    Nothing To Lose ... by Lee Child

Love Lee Child. Have read all of his books!

I'm a big Lee Child fan as well. Have read all of them. Bummed that he only writes 1 book a year.

I just finished the first Frankenstein book by Dean Koontz. I have the next one on deck.

Reading The Girl in the Spider's Web now, which is the evolution of Steig Larrson's Lisbeth Salander character by a new author. I wasn't sure how a new author would carry on with an established character, and so far it's just ok. I'm not very far into it though.

I read the Vince Flynn book that was completed by a different author after his death and I liked that, so I have hope for this one too.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who made suggestions for me. Unfortunately, I have not yet found ONE of those books available at my local library, other than a few they have as e-books, and I don't do e-books!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone who made suggestions for me. Unfortunately, I have not yet found ONE of those books available at my local library, other than a few they have as e-books, and I don't do e-books!

Is your local library part of a bigger system? There are dozens of libraries in my library system, which makes obtaining books much easier :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Question... So I saw the movie Ender's Game but haven't read the book. Is all hope lost to really enjoy the book at this point?

The book was far, far better than the movie. You'll have lost the big surprise at the end, but should enjoy the book nonetheless.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Is your local library part of a bigger system? There are dozens of libraries in my library system, which makes obtaining books much easier :)

I might have to look into that a little further. I seem to remember reading something about the library being willing to bring in books from other libraries on request, but the website is a little awkward so I might have to actually go talk to a real person about it.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've got a few on the go. The top two are The Making of the Life of Pi; also Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach: Life, Mission, and Legacy.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I just read "Curling for Dummies". I'm obsessed but I was also told to read it so it was like homework
  • charlottemmarks
    charlottemmarks Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just finished Hollow City and have moved on to Pride & Prejudice & Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith. It's EXACTLY what it sounds like and it's a ton of fun if you appreciate the original.

I think what @sault_girl mentioned is a good idea... maybe including a little one-liner or brief description. Here's the opening paragraph:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains. Never was this truth more plain than during the recent attacks at Netherfield Park, in which a household of eighteen was slaughtered and consumed by a horde of the living dead."

It also hosts the occasional illustration, in the vein of Alice in Wonderland.
  • bcs1998
    bcs1998 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bitter is the new black by Jen Lancaster. I just finished reading the First Family Detail by Ronald Kessler. That was a very interesting read.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    rlpomeroy wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    w1ldwood wrote: »
    Nothing To Lose ... by Lee Child

Reading The Girl in the Spider's Web now, which is the evolution of Steig Larrson's Lisbeth Salander character by a new author. I wasn't sure how a new author would carry on with an established character, and so far it's just ok. I'm not very far into it though.

I gave up on Girl in the Spider's Web. Found it boring. Nowhere near as good as Steig Larson's series, unfortunately.
  • just_silk
    just_silk Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just reading the mortal instruments series after seeing the film.

For character development and emotional involvement I'd recommend Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra. Good legal plot too.

Kelley Armstrong's other world series is good for werewolves.
  • karen3966via
    karen3966via Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And what do you think of it? What books have you read recently that floored you?

I'm currently halfway through Hollow City (sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs) and absolutely love it. I just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman and, while I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but feel it was a bit over-hyped and dragged a bit.

• karen3966via
    karen3966via Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Was the First one good? I saw it advertised and wrote the name down for my next trip to Target.
  • _SummerGirl_
    _SummerGirl_ Posts: 3,791 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Question... So I saw the movie Ender's Game but haven't read the book. Is all hope lost to really enjoy the book at this point?

I actually prefer reading the book AFTER watching the movie. I know that seems backward to many, but there have been too many cases when I have been incredibly disappointed or just flat pissed off with a movie because it wasn't as good as the book (which is often the case).

Years ago, I was overseas and unable to see the opening of "Jurassic Park" and "The Firm" that summer. I read both books and then watched the movies. The movie "Jurassic Park" was good, but there were so many missing scenes. (I know. I know. Money. Blah Blah Blah) "The Firm" movie just pissed me off.

Obviously, I can't always do that....but I have learned it's better that way. LOL.
  • melsouth1972
    melsouth1972 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Oooo I love a good book - what Alice Forgot by liane moriary - feel free to add me
  • _SummerGirl_
    _SummerGirl_ Posts: 3,791 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    I just saw the Divergent movie with my kids and we are looking forward to reading the books. I made them read the MazeRunner book before watching the movie, and this time I let them watch the movie before reading the book so that they could compare and contrast and see which experience they like better.

Did you read/watch the Maze Runner series? I was completely confused by the second movie...because it didn't follow the book. I mean, I know they change things...but my daughter and i were like WTF is going on. HAHAHAHA.
  • KrazedBemused
    KrazedBemused Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of sci-fi, especially of the dystopia or doomsday type, if anyone has read anything lately they would recommend, please advise!

Also, for any of the books that anyone is reading, would you mind giving a little one-liner to describe what it's about, or at least genre? Please and thank you!

@sault_girl Don't usually read a lot of sci fi but recently read The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. I found it very captivating. Definitely recommend if you haven't read it already.
  • KrazedBemused
    KrazedBemused Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell with Night Study by Maria V. Snyder at the ready.