What book(s) are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    if you have books that you like go onto goodreads and it's usually quite good at recommending books for you :)

just looked at my calibre library and there's over 300 books in there O___O!
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The Fold
    Both by Peter Clines (in that order). Awesome books!

14 was surprisingly good...like really good!

I recently read Cline's Ex-Heroes. It's your typical zombie apocalypse story except there's also super heroes involved. It's a fun read and, again, really really good!
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Genicide of One
    Rewinder
    Two more great sci-fi(ish) reads.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    The Fold
    Both by Peter Clines (in that order). Awesome books!

14 was surprisingly good...like really good!

I recently read Cline's Ex-Heroes. It's your typical zombie apocalypse story except there's also super heroes involved. It's a fun read and, again, really really good!

I've got Ex-Heroes in my Wish List.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just began War and Peace after watching the miniseries on Lifetime/A&E. I had always wanted to read it and it was available on my Kindle for free. I had felt daunting by the idea of carrying this enormous book around and also about the difficulty of keeping track of the characters, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Watching the series first really helped me to keep track of things, and Tolstoy's style is not that difficult; I just have to get used to the Russian naming conventions. My husband encouraged me because he had read the book on his kindle on the plane back and forth from China. He's a fast reader so he finished it on his trip!

The adaptation on A&E was excellent, by the way. Paul Dano was superb, and James Norton was mega-gorgeous. The young female lead was the same actress who played Cinderella in the recent live-version of the Disney classic.
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you want a break from your usual genre of books...and want to take a non-stop and breathless ride of action and adventure that is totally unrealistic but for some reason absolutely entertaining :smile: ...you should check out the Scarecrow series by Matthew Reilly. It's like watching a Jason Bourne movie that starts with an action sequence followed by a bunch of action, explosions, and bad-luck breaks...and then the real action starts!

Book 1: Ice Station by Matthew Reilly
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    If you want a break from your usual genre of books...and want to take a non-stop and breathless ride of action and adventure that is totally unrealistic but for some reason absolutely entertaining :smile: ...you should check out the Scarecrow series by Matthew Reilly. It's like watching a Jason Bourne movie that starts with an action sequence followed by a bunch of action, explosions, and bad-luck breaks...and then the real action starts!

Book 1: Ice Station by Matthew Reilly

The Gray Man series (Mark Greaney) reminded me a lot of Bourne. An unstoppable former "asset" going after his handlers.
  • charlottemmarks
    charlottemmarks Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wow really I'm reading the same thing. Actually I'm reading the first book again because it's been a while and I just got a copy of the second book

@clararandall If I was smart, I would've done that! I'm about halfway through Hollow City and just now remembering who each peculiar is.

@charlottemmarks that's why I'm reading it again I started hollow city and was drawing a blank so I stopped and picked up the first book for a review

@clararandall I just finished it (and accidentally cycled through to the beginning on my Kindle.) Apparently, at the beginning of the book, there's a convenient character list detailing each peculiar's gifts. Somehow, I must've glossed right over that part. Doh!
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    Just started Ghost Soldiers
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of sci-fi, especially of the dystopia or doomsday type, if anyone has read anything lately they would recommend, please advise!

Also, for any of the books that anyone is reading, would you mind giving a little one-liner to describe what it's about, or at least genre? Please and thank you!

One Second After is a great book! Imagine life immediately after an EMP.
    The Survivalist Series (Arthur T Bradley). Life after the collapse.
    Going Home (and subsequent Series, by A. American) Same concept as above.

Cool, thanks. I've read One Second After; will check out the other two.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I'm finally reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I decided to see what all the hype is about. I'm enjoying it, but not blown away.

Try Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - it's smarter and wittier fanfic.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of sci-fi, especially of the dystopia or doomsday type, if anyone has read anything lately they would recommend, please advise!

Also, for any of the books that anyone is reading, would you mind giving a little one-liner to describe what it's about, or at least genre? Please and thank you!

Have you read any Richard K. Morgan? <3<3<3

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs Novels Book 1)

In the twenty-fifth century, humankind has spread throughout the galaxy, monitored by the watchful eye of the U.N. While divisions in race, religion, and class still exist, advances in technology have redefined life itself. Now, assuming one can afford the expensive procedure, a person’s consciousness can be stored in a cortical stack at the base of the brain and easily downloaded into a new body (or “sleeve”) making death nothing more than a minor blip on a screen.

Ex-U.N. envoy Takeshi Kovacs has been killed before, but his last death was particularly painful. Dispatched one hundred eighty light-years from home, re-sleeved into a body in Bay City (formerly San Francisco, now with a rusted, dilapidated Golden Gate Bridge), Kovacs is thrown into the dark heart of a shady, far-reaching conspiracy that is vicious even by the standards of a society that treats “existence” as something that can be bought and sold. For Kovacs, the shell that blew a hole in his chest was only the beginning. . .

I'll pick up some YA SF from time to time and just read:

Unwind - In a society where unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways fight the system that would "unwind" them

UnWholly - Rife with action and suspense, this riveting companion to the perennially popular Unwind challenges assumptions about where life begins and ends—and what it means to live.

Interesting premise, not always well executed, but fun light dystopian reading.

Here's some heavy dystopia for you:

Parable of the Sower

by 2025, global warming, pollution, racial and ethnic tensions and other ills have precipitated a worldwide decline. In the Los Angeles area, small beleaguered communities of the still-employed hide behind makeshift walls from hordes of desperate homeless scavengers and violent pyromaniac addicts known as "paints" who, with water and work growing scarcer, have become increasingly aggressive. Lauren Olamina, a young black woman, flees when the paints overrun her community, heading north with thousands of other refugees seeking a better life. Lauren suffers from 'hyperempathy,' a genetic condition that causes her to experience the pain of others as viscerally as her own--a heavy liability in this future world of cruelty and hunger. But she dreams of a better world, and with her philosophy/religion, Earthseed, she hopes to found an enclave which will weather the tough times and which may one day help carry humans to the stars. Butler tells her story with unusual warmth, sensitivity, honesty and grace; though science fiction readers will recognize this future Earth, Lauren Olamina and her vision make this novel stand out like a tree amid saplings.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Just finished Morning Star by Pierce Brown.

This was the 3rd book of his Red Rising trilogy. As expected, it was fantastic and actually ended satisfyingly good! These books are a nice cross between technological space war and down in the mud fantasy. It's a cross between Peter F. Hamilton and Joe Abercrombie, in my opinion. (...and that's a huge compliment if you don't know those two authors!)

Here's a top 5 list of books I've read in the past 10 years or so (no particular order):
    -Ender's Game by Orsen Scott Card
    -The Martian by Andy Reid
    -Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
    -Unbroken: A WWII Story by Laura Hillenbrand
    -The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

...moving on to a Brandon Sanderson Mistborn book next..

Lots of great authors here! Ender's Game will forever resonate with me, the Mistborn books were fabulous, and Joe Abercrombie is a lot of fun.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    Question... So I saw the movie Ender's Game but haven't read the book. Is all hope lost to really enjoy the book at this point?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. It's about two sisters during WW2. It was the most fantastic book. By far my favorite since I read the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I know it's weird to love two books about birds. Lol. I wish I could have literary amnesia and go back and read them both again for the first time.

Trust me, you'll be able to read them again without remembering them when you get to about 50.
  • whmscll
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    The Shadows by J.R. Ward. Just finished The King by J.R. Ward. Also thinking about re-reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

HIGHLY recommend the Outlander series. Are you watching the series on STARZ?
  • whmscll
    Options
    w1ldwood wrote: »
    Nothing To Lose ... by Lee Child

Love Lee Child. Have read all of his books!
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Question... So I saw the movie Ender's Game but haven't read the book. Is all hope lost to really enjoy the book at this point?

I think it's always good to read the book before watching an adaptation :) that's not to say you wouldn't enjoy the book! I just think it takes some sense of imagination away when watching first
  • FunbagsMcGee
    FunbagsMcGee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Iggy585 wrote: »
    Skyjack: The Hunt for DB Cooper.

I have a fascination with true crime and this is an interesting story to say the least

I'm reading "the Stranger Beside me" and "Columbine" right now.
  • sleepingFrog
    sleepingFrog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am reading at the Moment the James Bond books from Ian Flamming.
    Already finished the first four of 14 books and started the fifth (From Russia with Love) today.