Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Comparing calories to calories = 0 it's all the same. Just don't do too much googling on the artificial sweetener in the Diet Coke. That will scare you.

Please do do your homework. Such a single mind of weight loss without consideration of healthy lifestyle change (that is Worth sustaining) will have failures that can be devastating. Other than nerve damage, mood swings, cravings, and messed up insulin/hormone regulation...diet soda leads to destruction all the same! Use diet soda as a tool...a baby step to natural water.

Oh dear.

I don't need a tool or a baby step to natural water - I drink plenty of natural water. Every single day.

However I also sometimes drink Pepsi max or coke zero.( and coffee and apple juice and wine and....)

You know, one can have a variety of drinks, just like one has a variety of food.

Just like I don't eat, say, chocolate as a baby step tool to carrots.
    I can have both,at different times - (and in sensible portion amounts, of course)

But wait!!

I thought you had to drink ONLY Diet Soda or water?

My whole 21 years have been a lie!!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    joeneely71 wrote: »
    Although they both offer zero calories, water will always be the healthier alternative. Try to get in the habit of only drinking water!!

Citation needed

Common Sense, Page 1/i]

Common sense tells us the sun revolves around the earth. Common sense is not worth *kitten*.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Comparing calories to calories = 0 it's all the same. Just don't do too much googling on the artificial sweetener in the Diet Coke. That will scare you.

Please do do your homework. Such a single mind of weight loss without consideration of healthy lifestyle change (that is Worth sustaining) will have failures that can be devastating. Other than nerve damage, mood swings, cravings, and messed up insulin/hormone regulation...diet soda leads to destruction all the same! Use diet soda as a tool...a baby step to natural water.

Really?
  • stevencloser
    Options

Really?

I'm not holding my breath for them to come back with proper sources.
  • LilAmbyChan
    LilAmbyChan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Soda doesn't count as water even when it doesn't have any calories. Water is pure hydration, it aids in flushing our system, it improves mood, helps kidney function, energizes us, helps prevent headaches, so on and so forth. It's also natural as hell.

Though I Love having a diet soda here and there, don't get me wrong. But the artificial sweeteners and high salts can only trick our body for so long before it realizes that there is not helpful or nutritional value to what we just consumed. Drinking lots of soda will create water weight and the artificial sweeteners make our bodies crave nutrients (aka we snack more and).
  • LilAmbyChan
    LilAmbyChan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Has anyone seen those videos where they por Reg. Coke on a car battery and it eats away the corrosion? -that's a little pass fear mongering....WIll Diet coke do they same thing, just eat our insides out.

Our stomach acids are much more corrosive than Coke... That logic doesn't work.

I use to use coke to take the rust off old tools but I have no idea what the repercussions are to our insides.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Soda doesn't count as water even when it doesn't have any calories...

Wrong. Diet soda is about 99% water. The other ingredients added into it don't magically make it 'not water'. It still hydrates you.

...Though I Love having a diet soda here and there, don't get me wrong. But the artificial sweeteners and high salts can only trick our body for so long before it realizes that there is not helpful or nutritional value to what we just consumed...

High salts? A can/bottle of diet soda is usually somewhere around 40mg of sodium. That's nowhere near "high salts". Also, there's no nutritional value in water either. Your point?

...Drinking lots of soda will create water weight and the artificial sweeteners make our bodies crave nutrients (aka we snack more and).

Drinking lots of any liquid will create water weight. If you drank a gallon of water or a gallon of soda, the water weight results would be the exact same. And artificial sweeteners don't make our body "crave nutrients". That's not how it works - that's not how any of this works.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen those videos where they por Reg. Coke on a car battery and it eats away the corrosion? -that's a little pass fear mongering....WIll Diet coke do they same thing, just eat our insides out.

I use to use coke to take the rust off old tools but I have no idea what the repercussions are to our insides.

Mineral water carved out the Grand Canyon but I have no idea what the repercussions are to our insides.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Soda doesn't count as water even when it doesn't have any calories. Water is pure hydration, it aids in flushing our system, it improves mood, helps kidney function, energizes us, helps prevent headaches, so on and so forth. It's also natural as hell.

Though I Love having a diet soda here and there, don't get me wrong. But the artificial sweeteners and high salts can only trick our body for so long before it realizes that there is not helpful or nutritional value to what we just consumed. Drinking lots of soda will create water weight and the artificial sweeteners make our bodies crave nutrients (aka we snack more and).

A couple of diet ginger ales will turn my pee the color of straw just like a couple of glasses of water.

But what do I know.

I must be dehydrated, which can cause confusion.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The main issue is this idea that there's any reason to count water anyway. Drink enough to be adequately hydrated. Personally, I enjoy plain water, so it is part of what I drink -- sometimes it's just more thirst quenching (never seen anyone sipping a diet coke on the treadmill). But don't worry about getting a specific number of glasses or not drinking anything else or what counts or doesn't. All that seems like dieting superstition.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The main issue is this idea that there's any reason to count water anyway. Drink enough to be adequately hydrated. Personally, I enjoy plain water, so it is part of what I drink -- sometimes it's just more thirst quenching (never seen anyone sipping a diet coke on the treadmill). But don't worry about getting a specific number of glasses or not drinking anything else or what counts or doesn't. All that seems like dieting superstition.

I would TOTALLY sip a Diet Coke on the treadmill if all the bouncing didn't make it go flat before I could drink it and if I didn't care about my fellow gym-goers assuming I'm completely crazypants.

(ETA) - I 100% agree with your point, just to be clear. I just REALLY love Diet Coke, lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Heh!
  • AnvilHead
    edited March 2016
    Options

I imagine if you took a dead person, pumped their stomach full of coke and left it for a couple weeks you may possibly see some damage. Fortunately for those of us still among the living, substances (coke being one of them) don't sit around and soak for long periods of time. They constantly move through our body and are ultimately metabolized/eliminated by this miraculous process called digestion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    In terms of raw calories- yes. Having said that, the sweeteners in pretty much every diet soda sold in the USA and UK are recognised by your body as a sugar (although one that your body can't metabolise), which still triggers a release of insulin which can cause weight gain from other food and drink you've had. On top of that, caffeine can seriously disrupt your circadian rhythm which will alter energy levels and when you're likely to put on weight.

TL/DR: just drink water instead, you'll lose more weight that way.

If this were so, nobody who drinks coffee or tea or ordinary soda would lose weight - which clearly isn't so..

However if one is affected by caffeine and wants to avoid it, one could still drink diet sodas - just like regular sodas, it is only the cola ones that have caffeine.
    Diet lemon etc do not, just like regular lemon etc do not.

Your logic and common sense is not welcome here... ;)

Sorry,Miss.

Artificial sweeteners!!!!!
    Caffeine!!!!!!

Oh no oh no panic panic all gonna get fat and die :o:s

Is that better? B)

But what's gonna be the cause, the diabetes or the cancer that Diet soda causes?!?
    Apparently not that knowledgeable about diabetes.

Why would the American Diabetes Association recommend diet soda to diabetics as an alternative?
    What Can I Drink?

Food often takes center stage when it comes to diabetes. But don't forget that the beverages you drink can also have an effect on your weight and blood glucose!

We recommend choosing zero-calorie or very low-calorie drinks. This includes:

Water
    Unsweetened teas
    Coffee
    Diet soda
    Other low-calorie drinks and drink mixes

You can also try flavoring your water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for a light, refreshing drink with some flavor. All of these drinks provide minimal calories and carbohydrate.
    - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html?loc=ff-slabnav#sthash.rdoy2Qfn.dpuf

EDIT: just realized that reply was just sarcasm. My bad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's a conspiracy, @ninerbuff
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Seen a post on another forum regarding diet sodas....
    The trouble with soda even diet ones/zero calorie ones is they make your body acidic which makes you more prone to health problems and gaining fat. Get more veggies in your diet to make you more alkaline

Fact or more fiction?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    The trouble with soda even diet ones/zero calorie ones is they make your body acidic which makes you more prone to health problems and gaining fat. Get more veggies in your diet to make you more alkaline

Fact or more fiction?

Fiction. Woo. Full-on new age BS. Your body's pH is tightly regulated and even if you consciously tried to change it, you wouldn't have a significant impact.

4l8paec3bg1r.jpg
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    That's awesome thanks, I thought as much but have this thing of not making comments based on ignorance
  • stevencloser
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cronus70 wrote: »

Fact or more fiction?

Fiction. Woo. Full-on new age BS. Your body's pH is tightly regulated and even if you consciously tried to change it, you wouldn't have a significant impact.

4l8paec3bg1r.jpg

And if you were somehow successful in it you'd be, as the graphic says, dead. Very dead.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    amyr271 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    In terms of raw calories- yes. Having said that, the sweeteners in pretty much every diet soda sold in the USA and UK are recognised by your body as a sugar (although one that your body can't metabolise), which still triggers a release of insulin which can cause weight gain from other food and drink you've had. On top of that, caffeine can seriously disrupt your circadian rhythm which will alter energy levels and when you're likely to put on weight.

TL/DR: just drink water instead, you'll lose more weight that way.

If this were so, nobody who drinks coffee or tea or ordinary soda would lose weight - which clearly isn't so..

However if one is affected by caffeine and wants to avoid it, one could still drink diet sodas - just like regular sodas, it is only the cola ones that have caffeine.
    Diet lemon etc do not, just like regular lemon etc do not.

Your logic and common sense is not welcome here... ;)

Sorry,Miss.

Artificial sweeteners!!!!!
    Caffeine!!!!!!

Oh no oh no panic panic all gonna get fat and die :o:s

Is that better? B)

But what's gonna be the cause, the diabetes or the cancer that Diet soda causes?!?
    Apparently not that knowledgeable about diabetes.

Why would the American Diabetes Association recommend diet soda to diabetics as an alternative?
    What Can I Drink?

Food often takes center stage when it comes to diabetes. But don't forget that the beverages you drink can also have an effect on your weight and blood glucose!

We recommend choosing zero-calorie or very low-calorie drinks. This includes:

Water
    Unsweetened teas
    Coffee
    Diet soda
    Other low-calorie drinks and drink mixes

You can also try flavoring your water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for a light, refreshing drink with some flavor. All of these drinks provide minimal calories and carbohydrate.
    - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html?loc=ff-slabnav#sthash.rdoy2Qfn.dpuf

EDIT: just realized that reply was just sarcasm. My bad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It's fine, it's difficult to tell sometimes!!