Transpyloric Shuttle Study

Options

Replies

• mom2twinsAZ
    mom2twinsAZ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my one month check-in and everything seems to be going good. I have lost a few pounds but not what I had expected. Going in for my 2 month scope and hoping that I continue to lose weight. I'm still going back and forth on if I have it or not. I had horrible symptoms after the procedure ( throwing up, cramps and nausea). I have notice that I get major hunger pains every once in a while. I'm trying to stay positive and focus on eating healthy and losing weight. Would love to hear updates from others.
  • mcfaddin7
    mcfaddin7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually felt really good after the procedure (besides the sore throat), so I thought I didn't receive the device. However, 2 days later, I started getting really sick and I feel a constant fullness in my stomach. I attempted soft foods, but got sick, so I'm back on liquids.
  • mcfaddin7
    Options
    So, I've had a rough time of it. By day 6, I had enough and sent a message to the nurse, stating that I wanted this thing out. Anything I drank would sit in my stomach for hours, causing a lot of pain, and then I would throw it up 10 to 12 hours later. Day 7, yesterday, I met with the dietitian and the MD order IV fluids (2 bags). I am supposed to remain on clear liquids through the weekend. I had some chicken broth last night and it didn't hurt, so I'm hoping there's light at the end of the tunnel. I lost 7 pounds in 1 week, so that's a positive.
    Questions - anyone have similar experience to mine? And for those that have had the device in for a few months, do you mind outlining your daily menu. I need hope that I will be able to return to normal eating.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    mcfaddin7 wrote: »
    So, I've had a rough time of it. By day 6, I had enough and sent a message to the nurse, stating that I wanted this thing out. Anything I drank would sit in my stomach for hours, causing a lot of pain, and then I would throw it up 10 to 12 hours later. Day 7, yesterday, I met with the dietitian and the MD order IV fluids (2 bags). I am supposed to remain on clear liquids through the weekend. I had some chicken broth last night and it didn't hurt, so I'm hoping there's light at the end of the tunnel. I lost 7 pounds in 1 week, so that's a positive.
    Questions - anyone have similar experience to mine? And for those that have had the device in for a few months, do you mind outlining your daily menu. I need hope that I will be able to return to normal eating.

Oh, good grief...I am so sorry. :s I truly hope you feel better soon.
  • lboullt
    lboullt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mcfaddin7 I hope you start feeling better soon. I have not had the side affects that you had. But I go back and forth on if I have it. Yesterday I had applesauce in a pouch and it really made my stomach hurt. Terrible indigestion for a while. After some peppermint tea it felt better. I will stay away from applesauce for awhile. So I do think I have it now. I was 8 lbs down on my first week visit. Keep us updated on how you are feeling.
  • mcfaddin7
    Options
    Things are going well! I've been good ever since getting fluids 1 week after the procedure. I had my 1 month visit and I've lost 16 lbs total. How's everyone else doing?
  • lboullt
    lboullt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mcfaddin7 so glad things are going great and you're feeling better! Congrats on the 16lbs!! I've struggled with finding the right foods to eat. Before procedure I could eat spicy foods but now it's not good. So I'm convinced that I have the device. I also have a hard time getting calories in since I have no appetite. I got tomorrow for my 1 month follow up so I'll see. :) But overall I'm happy with the results and my clothes are definitely fitting looser.
  • 11candlelight
    11candlelight Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread-- not much info online about this procedure. I have an appointment in a few weeks to see if I qualify for the study (had to go off other medication first.) I'm curious to know more about the experiences other people have had. What's the rate of weight Loss been? The Australian study had about 14% of weight loss over 6 months, which for me would average out to about 6lbs per month-- is that tracking where other people are at? Curious also to hear any positives/negatives. For those who have had it done, would you do it again? How long did you have to be out of work? How long until you felt "normal"? What are the dietary restrictions they give you when you have the decide? Thanks!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    What is this? It sounds like something out of Star Trek. Please explain what this is and for what? thanks.

"Star Trek space shuttle transport to weightloss Planet Pyloric"
    (BTW, I'm not making light of the actual study just commenting on the cool name.)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    What is this? It sounds like something out of Star Trek. Please explain what this is and for what? thanks.

This page has a video...

http://www.endobesitystudy.com/The_TPS_Procedure.htm

Sounds facinating-- no surgery and no scars.
  • 11candlelight
    11candlelight Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Curious-- those of you who did it, how strict were they on the BMI cut off? It says max bmi of 40 and I"m at 40.8. I go in for my meeting next week and to be right at 40 I have to lose like 12lbs between now and then. I'm going to try, but I don't know how successful I'll be. Any chance I'll squeak past the cut off?
  • lovlylady126
    lovlylady126 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Everyone!!
    Thank you so much for sharing! I go in tom for my screening visit. How are you all doing?
  • amandalr83
    amandalr83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go in for my bloodowkr tom for the trial. And have it done on feb 4th.. has anyone had any problems or what about the weight loss
  • smalady2
    smalady2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had my device implanted today. I'm only a few hours post procedure and I'm feeling pretty okay. My throat is extremely sore as promised and I'm having trouble burping. It feels stuck but when I stand up it comes out. Good luck!
  • jpboothe07
    jpboothe07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had TPS placed today. I feel like I have gas caught in my esophagus but can't burp. Any suggestions? Throat sore but hopefully worth it. Any advice from those who've had this procedure is welcome, foods, drink, exercise etc.... thank you
  • smalady2
    smalady2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Day 2 is going well. I'm going to attempt to eat some cream of chicken soup because I am starving! Last night was shaky but not horrible. I hope this is the worst of it for me.
  • brp1627
    brp1627 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was unblinded yesterday. I do have the device. At most I was down 15 pounds but have gained it all back. I ended the study yesterday only 1 pound down from my starting weight last April. Disappointing. I go tomorrow to have the device removed.
  • mom2twinsAZ
    mom2twinsAZ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you did not get a great outcome. I'm at 6 months and not really seeing any big changes at all. Wondering if the device is not giving them the results they wanted to see or if for some it does not work.
  • mcfaddin7
    Options
    I just hit 5 months on 4/15 and I'm down 57 lbs. The results have been great for me because the device has kept me from being hungry. It's allowed me to stick to a 1200 calorie a day diet. I've slowly increased my exercise and now I'm working out 6 days a week. I finally found the motivation I had been missing. I hate to hear that the device didn't work as well for the two of you.
  • gud2dalasdrop
    gud2dalasdrop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have completed the study. I did not have the device, however I am eager for the device to get FDA approval so I can actually get it.