Do you log on vacations?

Options
124»

Replies

• judydj1220
    judydj1220 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to log as I didn't want to pay for wi-fi on my recent cruise. No biggie... since it was a vacation, I did splurge on drinks and some menu options, but balanced it out with healthier breakfast/lunch options and exercise.

I did notice my log-in streak was restarted, which is sad.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    I don't log on vacation. I try to make good choices, most of the time, but splurge on things I don't eat everyday. I try to share, especially desserts on vacation.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I went to Japan in December and didn't log whatsoever. The calories WERE listed on the packaged snacks, which I took in to account. However, I ate at many restaurants and just tried to focus on portion sizes and when I felt full. Walked a lot as well. I was only gone for 2 weeks, but I came back weighing exactly the same,
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    rgbmore wrote: »
    I went to Disney last week, walked a TON and carried my daughter (~25 lbs) for a lot of it. Three days of Disney Vacation = 5 lbs gained. It's coming back off, and I don't entirely regret it, but if I had logged it I would've probably used more self control.
    But with hand dipped corn dogs, mickey mouse beignets, churros, turkey legs, ice cream cones, those clam chowder sourdough bowls...mmmm it was worth it since it's our only big vacation.
    (Pineapple dole whips are only 90 calories and a much better option than the ice cream cones, lol)

Unless you add the rum.. And it's soooo much better with the rum lol
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I tried an experiment over December/January when I was away from home for 4 weeks and didn't log a thing. I wanted to see how good my maintenance guesstimates were. I was eating out a lot and drank more than I usually would (rum cocktails), but walking a lot. I would try to figure out roughly what I wanted to eat/drink each day and came home up only half a pound (which was gone again pretty soon). It gave me some confidence that my guesswork isn't terrible, so going forward I'm not planning to log on vacation.
  • aliciamunday7
    aliciamunday7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    my vacations are totally unplugged. No screen time of any kind. I purposely choose areas of the world that have limited, if any cell service, internet tv etc
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I try to eat right, avoid breads and rice, etc. I end up walking, swimming and being active (more than when I am at work so it seems to have worked out. I went on vacation the first week in February and ended up losing weight! :-) Next vacation in April and I hope to lose another 10-15 pounds before that.
    Also I like to go to the Caribbean and most places don't have reliable Wi-Fi. I always check the hotel/ area for the closest gym. but in 3 vacations have yet to actually use it while on vacation. It seems like an awesome idea on paper though!
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    If I am going away for a weekend or a long weekend, I will try to log.

If I'm going away for a holiday (1+ weeks), I don't log. Can't be bothered. But I exercise a lot when I'm on holiday ... that's what holidays are for!! :grin:
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do. Even if I didn't have service I think I'd try to keep a log (without calories? Or my best guess?). For me it's about making better choices a habit. Even if I allowed myself more calories, I'd want to know where I was at.

My family members are all thin, but they constantly make conscious decisions about what is worth the indulgence-- at home, on vacation, special occasions, etc. On vacation, they might go for the egg white omlet to make room for a splurge that evening. Or, they'll split the crepes and croissants so they get to try each one without overdoing it. They don't count calories, but they're constantly balancing it in their heads. And while they love good food, none of them feels slighted or deprived by choosing two small tastes instead of a giant plate when they know they've had enough food for the day. They also don't enjoy overdoing it. It's not fun to them. It's just food. And I think that's why they've always been thin. They don't think if it as being cheated, deprived or like they're "going without" when they know they've had enough.

For me, learning how to enjoy indulgences in smaller portions and learning that it's okay to pass on something great if you're not that hungry are important skills. I'm working on it, and tracking it all lets me see just how much I really can enjoy if I'm reasonable. So yes, that's why've track.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I typically log, but it's almost always an estimate because I'm on vacation, so I don't pay 100% attention to what goes in my mouth.

We were just in Disney/Universal for a long weekend. My "meals" on Tuesday, for example, consisted of half of a Gaston's Tavern cinnamon roll and a coffee, half a Mickey soft pretzel with cheese, half a Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar (or whatever they're called now), a bowl of New England clam chowder, and, at the airport, a loaded baked potato with cheese, broccoli, bacon, and sour cream with some Sugar Babies for dessert. Carbs, carbs, and more carbs. I love carbs! We were actually only in the park until 4pm because we flew back home that evening, but my Fitbit logged in around 7.67 miles walked for the day (18,181 steps). I wasn't too concerned about my poor eating habits for a few days.

My estimated walking mileage for the days we were there were in Florida are as follows:
    Saturday (fly to FL and Hollywood Studios): 9.26 miles
    Sunday (Epcot): 20.26 miles (I ran a half marathon in the morning.)
    Monday (Universal Studios): 8.02 miles
    Tuesday (Magic Kingdom and fly home): 7.67 miles

As a comparison, on days I watch everything I eat, log meticulously, and don't get a run in, I'm usually somewhere around 2 miles for the day. Thank you, desk job! :frowning:

Enjoy your vacation. Especially at Disney and Universal, you will be walking a TON. Eat that Mickey waffle with butter and syrup - you earned it!