Frustrated with caloric burn calculations.

Options

Replies

• TamzFit777
    TamzFit777 Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TamzFit777 wrote: »
    I did 15 minutes of tabata, thats 225 calories at 15 cals per min. 100 is not that close to 225 when it comes to cals. I read somewhere that you count the rest because your hr is still up at rest.

A fast beating heart doesn't burn extra calories. Ask any overweight person with an anxiety problem.

Is this what you're doing? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-real-tabata-brutal-circuit-from-the-protocols-inventor.html

Otherwise, you're doing a form of interval training, crossfit, etc., so again, 100 is most likely an inflated number.

The original tabata testing was done strictly supervised in a lab, too, at 170% VO2 max. That's a crazy number and chances are very, very low that you're hitting that mark on your own. Again, something has been labeled by the fitness industry and used out of context. It happens all the time.

Great article, yes i have done jump lunges and frog jump, one thing not mentioned was kettlebell swings which are great too.

Anyway, even if I only burned 100 calories or less as many have said, I didnt eat them back so still good to go.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of posts suddenly appeared, never change MFP
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Look at the actual protocols used in those HIIT studies. Are you exceeding 90% VO2 max during your high intensity periods? If using perceived effort, does it pretty much feel like you want to die/puke/pass out after each intense period? If not, you're doing intervals, not HIIT.

When the Wingate Test, one of the protocols used in a study you linked, is performed at the NHL combine the players refer to it as the puke test ... with a bucket in the room to receive whatever comes up.

Yes, very close to that as I mentioned earlier.

So you put your child on a sled and worked out to the point of puking

I don't think so

No mother would do that to her child
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Look at the actual protocols used in those HIIT studies. Are you exceeding 90% VO2 max during your high intensity periods? If using perceived effort, does it pretty much feel like you want to die/puke/pass out after each intense period? If not, you're doing intervals, not HIIT.

When the Wingate Test, one of the protocols used in a study you linked, is performed at the NHL combine the players refer to it as the puke test ... with a bucket in the room to receive whatever comes up.

Yes, very close to that as I mentioned earlier.

Very close means not reaching a target.
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I did 3 sets of tabata (10 repetitions, 25 sec work, 10sec rest) fast skipping. how do you calculate that? MFP gave me like 100 calories and I KNOW it was way more than that!
    Also, I tied my backpack to a sled and took my son (40lbs) for a run around the school soccer field, 3 laps (tabata style) plus walking to and from field, 14 mins work. How do I calculate that?

So you were working for 3x10x25 secs? So 750 secs = 12 mins and you think that should be more than 100 calories ? Why?

I answered that in other comments :) But to save you time, (in a nutshell) because thats what I learned in Personal Trainer school.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I did 3 sets of tabata (10 repetitions, 25 sec work, 10sec rest) fast skipping. how do you calculate that? MFP gave me like 100 calories and I KNOW it was way more than that!
    Also, I tied my backpack to a sled and took my son (40lbs) for a run around the school soccer field, 3 laps (tabata style) plus walking to and from field, 14 mins work. How do I calculate that?

So you were working for 3x10x25 secs? So 750 secs = 12 mins and you think that should be more than 100 calories ? Why?

I answered that in other comments :) But to save you time, (in a nutshell) because thats what I learned in Personal Trainer school.

It wouldn't
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    That is if it is true, now you got me doubting what I learned in personal trainers courses, so Ill have to do more research, but then, how do I know whats legit information and what isnt?

So presumably on your course they taught you how to evaluate sources and identify how to extract information from them?

Don't your textbooks talk about the differing training effects of different modes of training and how a range of modalities bring wider benefit, rather than focusing on one piece of data that has limited utility, and high error potential?

Whilst true HIIT has considerable benefit the net effect on fuel sourcing and gross expenditure is negligible in most circumstances. That's fairly easily discernible following a critical review of the available literature.
  • brianpperkins
    edited February 2016
    Options

You did say that you "read somewhere" that you could count rest periods because your HR is up ... which is wrong. Your posts here are encapsulating how little trainers really understand things such as caloric burn.
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    That is if it is true, now you got me doubting what I learned in personal trainers courses, so Ill have to do more research, but then, how do I know whats legit information and what isnt?

So presumably on your course they taught you how to evaluate sources and identify how to extract information from them?

Don't your textbooks talk about the differing training effects of different modes of training and how a range of modalities bring wider benefit, rather than focusing on one piece of data that has limited utility, and high error potential?

Whilst true HIIT has considerable benefit the net effect on fuel sourcing and gross expenditure is negligible in most circumstances. That's fairly easily discernible following a critical review of the available literature.

Of course they did, but for this topic we are discussing HIIT and Tabata. HIIT was one of many exercises we were taught and also did in practice to show what it really actually was.
  • TamzFit777
    Options

You did say that you "read somewhere" that you could count rest periods because your HR is up ... which is wrong. Your posts here are encapsulating how little trainers really understand things such as caloric burn.

I read that on a website, not in school. You don't have to diss Personal Trainers, I may not be the smartest one but there are great trainers out there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited February 2016
    Options

Of course they did, but for this topic we are discussing HIIT and Tabata. HIIT was one of many exercises we were taught and also did in practice to show what it really actually was.

So I'm confused. You've got text books, yet ask the question here?

I'd also observed that HIIT is a protocol, not an exercise.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Hey now, don't generalize :)
  • brianpperkins
    Options

I read that on a website, not in school. You don't have to diss Personal Trainers, I may not be the smartest one but there are great trainers out there.

There are some good ones ... but there are quite a few that are at best dangerous. Those in the middle of those extremes make up the majority and their misinformation spreads like wildfire.
  • TamzFit777
    Options

My question was about a 40lb load on a sled, and about Tabata calories burned per minute, because websites claim 15cals, and even 20cals for kettlebells swings per minute. The textbooks dont specify number of calories burned because so many other variables factor in, they are more focused on what exercise works what muscle, terms such as cardiorespiratory capacity, muscular capacity, power, strength, body composition, VO2 max, injuries, nutrition ect. The tabata was taught as a higher caloric burn than steady state cardio, and then we went to the gym and did it.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I am going to throw this out here. Regardless of the number of calories burned I think with or without the sled the burn is the same.
    If you normally do intervals at >90% VO2max why would adding the sled allow you to do 90%+++. You will be doing your intervals at a lower speed much like cranking the treadmill incline to get the rate up with a lower speed. If your sled interval is burning more at maximum effort then you aren't putting max effort on the treadmill.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

My question was about a 40lb load on a sled, and about Tabata calories burned per minute, because websites claim 15cals, and even 20cals for kettlebells swings per minute. The textbooks dont specify number of calories burned because so many other variables factor in, they are more focused on what exercise works what muscle, terms such as cardiorespiratory capacity, muscular capacity, power, strength, body composition, VO2 max, injuries, nutrition ect. The tabata was taught as a higher caloric burn than steady state cardio, and then we went to the gym and did it.

So I'm still surprised that training as a PT didn't encompass how to work out calorie expenditure from first principles.
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    I am going to throw this out here. Regardless of the number of calories burned I think with or without the sled the burn is the same.
    If you normally do intervals at >90% VO2max why would adding the sled allow you to do 90%+++. You will be doing your intervals at a lower speed much like cranking the treadmill incline to get the rate up with a lower speed. If your sled interval is burning more at maximum effort then you aren't putting max effort on the treadmill.

The sled pulling was HIIT, not tabata. Sorry I did correct myself further down in the thread, The skipping was "Tabata" style.

So, I ran until I felt like I was going to pass out and keel over, then I walked (instead of stopping which is what you do in tabata)... the walking part still accounted for some calories burned, but not as many as the run.

I was mostly having trouble entering the data (HIIT/Tabata) into MFP im new on this site but Im figuring things out now.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Ok as an MFP rule I would suggest

Enter 50-75% of the closest approximation to your activity

So running
    Or calisthenics

Monitor your weight over 6-8 weeks, if you lose more than you expected, eat back a higher percentage

Rinse and repeat

It's all just estimates
  • TamzFit777
    Options

So I'm still surprised that training as a PT didn't encompass how to work out calorie expenditure from first principles.

Not specifically, I'm a level 2 PT with some CECs, I'm still learning. For more info, I have to pay more money for more courses and I dont have the money.
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    Ok as an MFP rule I would suggest

Enter 50-75% of the closest approximation to your activity

So running
    Or calisthenics

Monitor your weight over 6-8 weeks, if you lose more than you expected, eat back a higher percentage

Rinse and repeat

It's all just estimates

I've lost 7lbs since I got here. I do (im scared to call it "Tabata") 2x week, and 3 x strength training with calorie counting. (although 10 days ago i ate like 2800 calories)