Frustrated with caloric burn calculations.

Options

Replies

• TamzFit777
    TamzFit777 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What the heck, one more...

1/ Tabata Time
    The Tabata protocol is an extremely high-intensity training method that produces results very quickly. A Tabata workout or sequence is an interval training cycle of 20 seconds of exercise performed at maximum intensity followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated eight times for a total of four minutes.
    The Burning Edge: A study conducted at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports (Japan) found that subjects who performed Tabata five days a week for six weeks improved their maximum aerobic capacities (a measure of the highest amount of oxygen consumed during maximal exercise) by 14% and anaerobic capacities (a measure of maximum output over a short period) by 28%. In a nutshell, the extremely short rest periods of Tabata force your body to move between energy systems, producing vast amounts of lactic acid and growth hormone that push your body into accelerated fat-burning mode for hours postworkout.
    Burn 500 in: 26 minutes
    TIP: To reach your goal of burning 500 calories, perform four separate Tabata intervals, each four minutes in length. Include a five-minute warm-up and cool-down.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/muscle-fitness-hers/hers-workouts/5-ways-burn-500-calories
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Neither of which are sources I'd give any credence to.

There is much nonsense written about HIIT.
  • TamzFit777
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I knew someone was going to say that.

In the past, I lost 30lbs in 3 months without changing my diet, doing only HIIT. And I kept the weight off until this past surgery.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    TamzFit777 wrote: »
    I did 15 minutes of tabata, thats 225 calories at 15 cals per min. 100 is not that close to 225 when it comes to cals. I read somewhere that you count the rest because your hr is still up at rest.

15 cals a minute? Not likely.

And HR does not directly correlate to calorie burns so no, you shouldn't be counting rests.

15 cals a minute? Heck I need to sign up.

• TamzFit777
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I did 15 minutes of tabata, thats 225 calories at 15 cals per min. 100 is not that close to 225 when it comes to cals. I read somewhere that you count the rest because your hr is still up at rest.

15 cals a minute? Not likely.

And HR does not directly correlate to calorie burns so no, you shouldn't be counting rests.

15 cals a minute? Heck I need to sign up.
    LOL
    Don't bother, no one believes it.
  • TamzFit777
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You have it all figured out apparently so why did you ask the question?
  • TamzFit777
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You have it all figured out apparently so why did you ask the question?

I still dont know how to calculate how many calories burned running HIIT with my son attached to a sled.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you are able to burn 15 a minute without him attached then you are obviously extremely, extremely fit. Just guess like you've been doing if it's working.
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    If you are able to burn 15 a minute without him attached then you are obviously extremely, extremely fit. Just guess like you've been doing if it's working.

Oh no no no, I'm not extremely fit, I was a couple years ago, but then I put on 30lbs of fat after a surgery and bedrest. Trying to lose 10lbs of fat and add 10lbs of muscle and then ill decide what to do about the rest of the fat, because being at 19% bodyfat made me look too skinny and old. That being said, I am not extremely fit but I work hard when I work out, to the point of feeling like im going to throw up. Ever feel that way?

Burning 15 a minute is going at max intensity, HR up and sweat pouring ect... That is if it is true, now you got me doubting what I learned in personal trainers courses, so Ill have to do more research, but then, how do I know whats legit information and what isnt? By the looks of your profile picture, you must know what your doing so Im not discounting what you say..
    Its like the vaccine wars, some resources prove they are harmful, don't work as well as they claim, and then some resources say they are good and helpful.. Each side will say that the others resources are not credible.
  • Lee_Fitnesspla
    Lee_Fitnesspla Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bebeXchyM wrote: »
    Why don't you want to use a heart rate monitor?

Thats a good idea hope they're not to expensive.

I use a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM arm band to track my heart rate during ALL of my workouts (weight lifting, HIIT, general cardio). They are just under $80 at most places.

I've had good results using my HRM but only after pairing it to my Active Metabolic Zones which I figured out after an assessment. Downside is that the AM assessments can be pricey and they have to be repeated as your fitness levels improve.
  • triggerpuller702
    Options
    Use a real HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) like a Garmin or Polar. I've had testing done and my Garmins have always been almost dead on for calories if my settings are right. That whole age minus max HR is nonsense and as someone said it doesn't exactly correlate to calories burned, it's just one factor, but it is the easiest one to monitor for results. At my last test my max HR was pushed to 209 and I've hit 206 during cycling races well into my 30's and according to the formula that's not possible and doesn't account for that high of a number. My resting HR is also 40-45bpm which is hardly ever mentioned but is a huge factor when utilizing HR for effort. My endurance (fat burning) zone and a person's with a 90 RHR will be vastly different because the effort we both put forth to reach say 150bpm is going to be nowhere near equal. They may hit that walking up a flight of stairs while it takes me running on a 10 incline on a treadmill. According to formulas that person is burning more kcals than me for a workout of the same time frame.

Now I'm not saying the average person should pay for vo2 and calorie burning tests, it's not necessary to be that accurate, but these days there are good deals on high quality HRM's. Make sure it has settings for weight, age, activity levels, resting/max HR, and HR zones. Garmin sponsored a team I raced with plus I've always liked their interfaces so I heavily favor them, in fact I won't use anything else. With that said, their Garmin Connect site links up with their watches and computers and enables you to punch in your info and upload data. I will say that Polar got smart and a LOT of commercial gym equipment can be linked up with their stuff so that's a huge plus for their products.

And as far as burning 225 kcals in 15 minutes - do you run (race)? Have you ever swam in an open water race? Climbed a category 1 or 2 on a bike? Stairmaster cranked up to 12+? And by race I mean race - balls to the wall everything you've got run/swim/bike/fight to crush your competition, no participation trophy's. Not a jog down the road or an easy Saturday 5k. Do I buy it for tabata, no way. But 15's a doable number if you're busting your *kitten* and not just working out to post it on your Facebook status.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think the biggest problem in figuring out those kinds of things is that without a measure of power all we know is how hard we worked. And in this case, even though you @TamzFit777 know how hard you worked, I have no idea how hard that was, and as such can't compare it to anything solid in terms of calorie burn.

You might want to see if you can find a MET equivalent calculation, that will give you the MET number tied into your weight, and calculate the calories from there. That would still rely on your perceived effort unless they have specific MET numbers for say jumping rope at a speed of X jumps per second. In the case of the running with your son in tow, it would seem that the closest you might find would be uphill sprints that approximate the additional drag factor of towing your son on the sled.

That being said, I think many if not most sources over estimate the impact of EPOC, and looking for sources on Google Scholar might give you a better idea of realistic calorie burn after the exercise. If the EPOC burn was as high as some sources claim, I'd be doing HIIT type workouts all the time, as it would be a huge time savings over longer workouts! I do think HIIT has it's place and I do it as part of my workouts, and often also do extended time hard intervals at varying intensities. But I think the HIIT hype has inflated the benefits in some areas, including total calories burned.

I did some true Tabata protocol HIIT on our elliptical. For my size (180 pounds) I reached the max readout of the machine in calories per minute which is 25 per minute. Heart rate rose really quick, and the last couple of intervals my LOW heart rate was in the 170 range. But here's the problem. I don't know how much you weigh, how hard you can work, or how fit you are. You might be more fit pound per pound than I am, you might not. But with any weight bearing exercise, weight is a huge factor in calorie burn. So even if you worked at equal output pound per pound as I did, I couldn't give you a number. And being I don't jump rope, I couldn't figure out how hard that was in comparison, even if I knew how fast you were jumping.

Being that I do know my output capability and not considering myself any type of super fit or elite amateur athlete, I do personally think that 15 calories a minute is well withing the range of other non elites, only possibly limited by very small people possibly having a hard time hitting that on certain types of work. In my case I have a power measure on my elliptical. You might be able to find a machine that gives you a way to gauge your output vs other workout types, and that could possibly get you in the ballpark for effort and calorie burn.

As for the HR monitor, IMO useless for HIIT type stuff. They are well suited to steady state cardio. But for HIIT the only real use would be to see an average or the high HR.

Nailing down accurate calorie burns can be tough. Even with all the devices, they read all over the place. I've just tried to find the appropriate apps that are at least close, accept that some error will exist, and go from there. Short of direct power measures and personal testing, it's the best most of us can do.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Oh no no no, I'm not extremely fit, I was a couple years ago, but then I put on 30lbs of fat after a surgery and bedrest. Trying to lose 10lbs of fat and add 10lbs of muscle and then ill decide what to do about the rest of the fat, because being at 19% bodyfat made me look too skinny and old. That being said, I am not extremely fit but I work hard when I work out, to the point of feeling like im going to throw up. Ever feel that way?

Burning 15 a minute is going at max intensity, HR up and sweat pouring ect... That is if it is true, now you got me doubting what I learned in personal trainers courses, so Ill have to do more research, but then, how do I know whats legit information and what isnt? By the looks of your profile picture, you must know what your doing so Im not discounting what you say..
    Its like the vaccine wars, some resources prove they are harmful, don't work as well as they claim, and then some resources say they are good and helpful.. Each side will say that the others resources are not credible.

Except the only study to support vaccines being harmful was completely fabricated. There were charges of fraud and he was barred from practicing medicine.

Are there benefits to HIIT? Yes. But many of the claims are overblown.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Look at the actual protocols used in those HIIT studies. Are you exceeding 90% VO2 max during your high intensity periods? If using perceived effort, does it pretty much feel like you want to die/puke/pass out after each intense period? If not, you're doing intervals, not HIIT.

When the Wingate Test, one of the protocols used in a study you linked, is performed at the NHL combine the players refer to it as the puke test ... with a bucket in the room to receive whatever comes up.

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

A fast beating heart doesn't burn extra calories. Ask any overweight person with an anxiety problem.

Is this what you're doing? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-real-tabata-brutal-circuit-from-the-protocols-inventor.html

Otherwise, you're doing a form of interval training, crossfit, etc., so again, 100 is most likely an inflated number.

The original tabata testing was done strictly supervised in a lab, too, at 170% VO2 max. That's a crazy number and chances are very, very low that you're hitting that mark on your own. Again, something has been labeled by the fitness industry and used out of context. It happens all the time.

• TamzFit777
    Options
    Look at the actual protocols used in those HIIT studies. Are you exceeding 90% VO2 max during your high intensity periods? If using perceived effort, does it pretty much feel like you want to die/puke/pass out after each intense period? If not, you're doing intervals, not HIIT.

When the Wingate Test, one of the protocols used in a study you linked, is performed at the NHL combine the players refer to it as the puke test ... with a bucket in the room to receive whatever comes up.

Yes, very close to that as I mentioned earlier.
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    Use a real HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) like a Garmin or Polar. I've had testing done and my Garmins have always been almost dead on for calories if my settings are right. That whole age minus max HR is nonsense and as someone said it doesn't exactly correlate to calories burned, it's just one factor, but it is the easiest one to monitor for results. At my last test my max HR was pushed to 209 and I've hit 206 during cycling races well into my 30's and according to the formula that's not possible and doesn't account for that high of a number. My resting HR is also 40-45bpm which is hardly ever mentioned but is a huge factor when utilizing HR for effort. My endurance (fat burning) zone and a person's with a 90 RHR will be vastly different because the effort we both put forth to reach say 150bpm is going to be nowhere near equal. They may hit that walking up a flight of stairs while it takes me running on a 10 incline on a treadmill. According to formulas that person is burning more kcals than me for a workout of the same time frame.

Now I'm not saying the average person should pay for vo2 and calorie burning tests, it's not necessary to be that accurate, but these days there are good deals on high quality HRM's. Make sure it has settings for weight, age, activity levels, resting/max HR, and HR zones. Garmin sponsored a team I raced with plus I've always liked their interfaces so I heavily favor them, in fact I won't use anything else. With that said, their Garmin Connect site links up with their watches and computers and enables you to punch in your info and upload data. I will say that Polar got smart and a LOT of commercial gym equipment can be linked up with their stuff so that's a huge plus for their products.

And as far as burning 225 kcals in 15 minutes - do you run (race)? Have you ever swam in an open water race? Climbed a category 1 or 2 on a bike? Stairmaster cranked up to 12+? And by race I mean race - balls to the wall everything you've got run/swim/bike/fight to crush your competition, no participation trophy's. Not a jog down the road or an easy Saturday 5k. Do I buy it for tabata, no way. But 15's a doable number if you're busting your *kitten* and not just working out to post it on your Facebook status.

Yes, full force, and if I wasn't busting my *** I wouldn't say it was Tabata.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did 3 sets of tabata (10 repetitions, 25 sec work, 10sec rest) fast skipping. how do you calculate that? MFP gave me like 100 calories and I KNOW it was way more than that!
    Also, I tied my backpack to a sled and took my son (40lbs) for a run around the school soccer field, 3 laps (tabata style) plus walking to and from field, 14 mins work. How do I calculate that?

So you were working for 3x10x25 secs? So 750 secs = 12 mins and you think that should be more than 100 calories ? Why?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bebeXchyM wrote: »
    Why don't you want to use a heart rate monitor?

An HRM is useless for HIIT