Frustrated with caloric burn calculations.

Options
I did 3 sets of tabata (10 repetitions, 25 sec work, 10sec rest) fast skipping. how do you calculate that? MFP gave me like 100 calories and I KNOW it was way more than that!
Also, I tied my backpack to a sled and took my son (40lbs) for a run around the school soccer field, 3 laps (tabata style) plus walking to and from field, 14 mins work. How do I calculate that?

Replies

• TheCampaign
    TheCampaign Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Use an online calculator and as for the 40 lbs you would have to add that to whatever weight you currently are to get an estimate. It won't be accurate since that weight isn't a tissue or cell that uses energy but it will induce stress on other cells of your body to work harder
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, I wouldn't log into mfp the amount of calories burned. It'll re-adjust your calories for the day, and you may fall into the trap of eating back those burned calories.

If you'd like to log your activity strictly for the sake of keeping track, then just log it as an activity without the calorie factor.
  • TamzFit777
    TamzFit777 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OOPs correction the running would be more like HIIT.

If you're trying to lose weight, I wouldn't log into mfp the amount of calories burned. It'll re-adjust your calories for the day, and you may fall into the trap of eating back those burned calories.

If you'd like to log your activity strictly for the sake of keeping track, then just log it as an activity without the calorie factor.

Yeah, I did eat them all back at first but now I heard to only eat 25-50% back. If I dont eat some back I get super hungry and have trouble sleeping.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Why would you not eat the calories back? This is math, plain and simple. If you're trying to lose weight, MFP sets a low calorie goal for you which will allow you to lose weight. It then adds any exercise calories to the already-low daily calorie goal. So if you eat those calories, you are still low enough to lose weight.

That said, I'll buy into the theory that MFP overestimates calories burned and I do not eat them ALL back, just in case that's true. But honestly, I don't think MFP overestimates calories that much.

I've lost 25 pounds (which is all I needed to lose) and am in pretty good shape, so this seems to be working for me. I love eating. Sue me. I exercise so I can eat, and it works.
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to use a heart rate monitor?
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    agree w. @CindyFooWho. MFP already calculates your defecit assuming you will eat back all the calories from exercise. if you eat back less than that you will be at a greater defecit than your stated goal. only reason not to eat back is if you think MFP is overestimating, which could be true.

all that aside, if the scale is moving down then you are doing it right.

i have gone and back-calculated my true TDEE based on calorie intake and average weight trends, and MFP's target was way off. i just use their calorie logging and weight logging, and more or less ignore the targets. just weigh yourself and re-adjust your calorie target based on trends.
  • WallBilly
    WallBilly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why would you not eat the calories back? This is math, plain and simple. If you're trying to lose weight, MFP sets a low calorie goal for you which will allow you to lose weight. It then adds any exercise calories to the already-low daily calorie goal. So if you eat those calories, you are still low enough to lose weight.

That said, I'll buy into the theory that MFP overestimates calories burned and I do not eat them ALL back, just in case that's true. But honestly, I don't think MFP overestimates calories that much.

I've lost 25 pounds (which is all I needed to lose) and am in pretty good shape, so this seems to be working for me. I love eating. Sue me. I exercise so I can eat, and it works.

+1, bravo
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    bebeXchyM wrote: »

Thats a good idea hope they're not to expensive.
  • TamzFit777
    Options

Ok ill be happy to eat more!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TamzFit777 wrote: »

Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio. No hiit, not strength training, not circuit training....those are still a guess.
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio. No hiit, not strength training, not circuit training....those are still a guess.

Ok good to know. Also, HIIT and tabata stimulate fast twitch muscle fibres. I think that makes a difference in calories burned.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Wouldn't bother wasting the money, they're not designed for what you're describing.

fwiw even 100 cals seems a bit optimistic.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did 3 sets of tabata (10 repetitions, 25 sec work, 10sec rest) fast skipping. how do you calculate that? MFP gave me like 100 calories and I KNOW it was way more than that!

Doubt it was 100 calories for that short a duration.
    Don't confuse high effort / feeling hard with high calorie burns.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Wouldn't bother wasting the money, they're not designed for what you're describing.

Agree, what you described is 12.5 minutes of exercise with rest breaks mixed in. 100 doesn't sound like a bad estimate.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Agree, what you described is 12.5 minutes of exercise with rest breaks mixed in. 100 doesn't sound like a bad estimate.

Agreed, a HRM is good for steady state cardio, not tabata, weight training, etc. Also, an online article I read said tabata burns maybe 15 cals/minute (which is awesome) but even 100 would be a little high, actually.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    100 calories is probably exaggerated but close.

and echoing the HRM thoughts. Not really good for this type of stuff.
  • TamzFit777
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I did 15 minutes of tabata, thats 225 calories at 15 cals per min. 100 is not that close to 225 when it comes to cals. I read somewhere that you count the rest because your hr is still up at rest.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I did 15 minutes of tabata, thats 225 calories at 15 cals per min. 100 is not that close to 225 when it comes to cals. I read somewhere that you count the rest because your hr is still up at rest.

No one is burning 225 cals in 15 minutes. Where are you getting that number? From the database?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

15 cals a minute? Not likely.

And HR does not directly correlate to calorie burns so no, you shouldn't be counting rests.
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    Here is one resource, im too tired to go through them all and post them but if you really want to know you can google it.

"Researchers found that during the workout subjects averaged 86 percent of their maximum heart rates and 74 percent of their VO2maxes, measures that meet or exceed industry guidelines for improving cardio fitness and body composition. On the Borg Scale of 6 to 20, the participants gave the sweat sesh a 15.4 rating of perceived exertion (RPE)—i.e. “hard”—and burned 240 to 360 calories. With an average of 15 calories torched a minute, the findings of this study support that total-body Tabata-style workouts can prove powerful in terms of enhancing health and facilitating weight loss.:
    http://www.shape.com/blogs/working-it-out/research-approved-20-minute-tabata-workout