Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Narcissism and self confident issues

Options
Magnus_TKN
Magnus_TKN Posts: 1,909 Member
edited February 2016 in Fun and Games
So I was talking to my friend about his quote narcissistic girlfriend with supposedly self confident issues. Is it even possible for someone to be a narcissist with self cofident issues? What do you folks think?

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Narcissism is a defence mechanism that usually conceals the personality of someone much less sure of themselves than the image they project.
  • Magnus_TKN
    Options
    Okay you have a really good point there
  • CollieFit
    edited February 2016
    Options
    However, the word is thrown around quite carelessly in every day language. I'm kind of referring more to those with a formal diagnosis in line with the DSM. Many think that early deprivation is a causal factor. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00947166
  • Magnus_TKN
    Options
    Well that's why I throw around words I can actually spell. I mean it makes sense what you're saying but I'm not so sure that she is a narcissist. Don't narcissist have a hard time showing empathy?
  • CollieFit
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Absolutely. Narcissism is a defence mechanism that usually conceals the personality of someone much less sure of themselves than the image they project.
    Well I don't necessarily agree. Some people believe they are better than others but in certain situations they are so narcissistic they would manipulative to get attention through other means.......in there lies the Narcissistic behavior that wants it all because they believe they deserve as much as possible.

Nothing you just said contradicts what I said. That kind of projected omnipotence and entitlement are simply symptoms of the same defence.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Magnus_TKN wrote: »
    So I was talking to my friend about his quote narcissistic girlfriend with supposedly self confident issues. Is it even possible for someone to be a narcissist with self cofident issues? What do you folks think?

That's what narcissist personality is. The person has little or no self-esteem so they try to make everyone's life all about them to compensate. They become abusive when s/OS don't play along.
  • positivepowers
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Anti-Social Personality (more known as dog eat dog world with violence). They can do what they want to get what they want even playing the victim if they need be but without a care so defense mechanism isn't really needed. Their personality and beliefs are justification enough.

Spot on definition. Describes my ex perfectly.
  • positivepowers
    Options
    Anti-Social Personality (more known as dog eat dog world with violence). They can do what they want to get what they want even playing the victim if they need be but without a care so defense mechanism isn't really needed. Their personality and beliefs are justification enough.

Spot on definition. Desc

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Someone accused me of being narcissistic once and I was like "Narcissistic? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me? Me?"
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Indeed.
    And most successful people could also be accused of having those traits, as most are very competitive.
    The classification of the spectrum of personality disorders is very vague indeed.
    Most people are somewhere on that spectrum, but where does "normal" arrogance/confidence/selfishness/aggression finish and where does "disordered" behaviour begin is all very subjective.
  • bunnyghost
    bunnyghost Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    yeah, totally, lol. narcissism is almost always because of self confidence issues. "i feel like i'm the worst so i always act like i'm the best." it's a form of defense. when i'm feeling shy/bad about myself is always when i crave validation and attention the most and i think that's how most people are too.

also narcissism comes in different forms than just being like i'm the best, look at me, you know? you can hate yourself so much that you're entirely focused on yourself and in your own little bubble. eating disorders are linked with narcissism a lot and kinda refers to that same thing.
  • bunnyghost
    bunnyghost Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    @138shades i just like to show the other sides of things lol. but there are definitely different forms of narcissism.
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Damn I'm GOOD!
  • orekosi3485
    orekosi3485 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The more you look at yourself in the mirror, the more things you'll want to change about yourself. That will cause you to feel like you're not "good enough" to be with "those people" or talk to "that person".
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up on narcissism because I'm pretty sure I've a narcissistic parent. It manifests itself in so many ways you would expect and makes sense that someone would be insecure yet narcissistic. Many are it's a way of compensating. It's tiring dealing with these types
  • orekosi3485
    orekosi3485 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    joey4014 wrote: »
    Damn I'm GOOD!

Your post doesn't exactly help the person who created this thread.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes.
    it happens when reality bumps up against they reality they made for themselves