Why You Probably Don’t Need to Eat a Gluten Free Diet

Options
12346»

Replies

• Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81
    Options
    Thank you for posting. It baffles me that people restrict their diet when it isn't necessary.

^ me too
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    hoo boy. the crazies come out of the woodworks for these kinds of threads, don't they? :ohwell:

I'll say this, on MFP, when one says their diet is restricted in one way or another, for some reason, they then need to prove WHY to every Joe Schmo who feels they need to 'walk it off' and just eat moderately. :huh:

It's all that 'not a special snowflake' BS that keeps getting thrown at folks like good health is something that one simply has to stop being such a big ol baby about it and 'suck it up' and do the right thing, yanno, like put the fork down...eyeroll.

It would be nice if those 'healthy' (usually young and arrogant with headless pictures of massive pecs & washboard abs...but that's judgey, right?) :blushing: I digress.....

I think the thing I find most of disservice to people is the default position that *YOU* probably don't have this thing whatever it is, it's very rare yanno....:ohwell:
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Why anybody would care if others eat a certain food / food group or not? For example there are millions and millions of people in the world are vegetarian by choice. Animal protein and fat is huge food group , which is excluded by this people . So what ? It is their choice ! Wheat is not even an entire food group. Why people are bothered if others do not consume it?

The OP post stated that barely 10% of the population have celiac or gluten intolarene or sensitivity or allergy. Well barely 10% is still a freaking huge number! This means millions and millions of people in the US alone! Obviously this was an almost virgin market not too lon ago, which is only recently discovered by companies. They started to make products for this untapped markets recently. Hallelujah! Why anybody is bothered if celiac people can buy a cookie and a granola bar in regular grocery store ???

Many people mentioned that all the sudden recently so many people is diagnosed by ths, so it must be a fad, right? WRONG!
    Firstly , many modern tests are just recently developed. Prior 1997 the only dignostic tool was colon biopsy, which is an invasive and expensive procedure.1997 they had developed the first blood test, but it was still quite inaccurate , so the colon biopsy was still necessary. ThE most accurate test : DGP and TTg are only developed 2007! Obviously prior to easy, cheap and accurate tests were available significantly less people were diagnosed.
    Secondly on average we consume multiple times as much gluten as we did a few decade ago. Farmers grow strains of wheat that are much higher in gluten than it was 50 years ago. Plus in the 70's food companies started to put gluten - called vital gluten- in all kinds of food products. The result that we consume many times more gluten than we used to. Many people with mild gluten sensitivity can eat gluten , just not in the huge quantity that is in our modern diet.