Food to me is like alcohol to an alcoholic

Options
124»

Replies

• Jzuba75
    Jzuba75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »
    Very timely discussion. I came here to write a similar "failures" post. I sat down with a bag of Tostitos and a jar of salsa after already wolfing down half a bag of mini peppermint patties. I'm so full my stomach hurts and yet I'm having trouble stopping. I feel like I'm at the top of the slippery slope and losing my balance. I've lost 77 pounds and just hit the top of my goal range and don't want to go backwards. I've gone over my calorie goal before but never to the point that I couldn't log it even if I wanted to. The only difference is that I don't think sympathy and understanding would help me. I was going to ask for a good, swift kick in the butt. However I think we're both saying the same thing. We feel like we're out of control and want help.

Congrats on the 77 lbs! That's impressive. My goal is 60-70. But right now I'll take 5 at a time. I'll keep it nice as to not get reported, but I can give a good *kitten* kicking too.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Jzuba75 wrote: »
    Absolutely! The more friends we get, the easier it is to stay motivated.

I 2nd that! Add me if you want more support
  • Jzuba75
    Jzuba75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The more the merrier. :)
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Jzuba75 wrote: »
    alizesmom wrote: »
    Very timely discussion. I came here to write a similar "failures" post. I sat down with a bag of Tostitos and a jar of salsa after already wolfing down half a bag of mini peppermint patties. I'm so full my stomach hurts and yet I'm having trouble stopping. I feel like I'm at the top of the slippery slope and losing my balance. I've lost 77 pounds and just hit the top of my goal range and don't want to go backwards. I've gone over my calorie goal before but never to the point that I couldn't log it even if I wanted to. The only difference is that I don't think sympathy and understanding would help me. I was going to ask for a good, swift kick in the butt. However I think we're both saying the same thing. We feel like we're out of control and want help.

Congrats on the 77 lbs! That's impressive. My goal is 60-70. But right now I'll take 5 at a time. I'll keep it nice as to not get reported, but I can give a good *kitten* kicking too.

Go for it. Sometimes it can be good for both of us.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this may help-keep only healthy foods at home, those that won't cost you a million calories and will provide good nutrition. It's a lot easier to eat junk food without stopping because it isn't filling at all because it doesn't fiber. But if you had only healthy food in sight and snack on carrots instead of chips (or ice cream, etc), then you would cut down on calorie consumption and you could eat almost a lb of carrots for only 160cals-by the time you get there you will be full and stay fuller longer because of the fiber. Get rid of any high calorie foods. As an alcoholic I understand you can't keep food out of the house like alcohol but you can choose what you keep inside your home. I got rid of all the junk food from my house when I started, now I have learned moderation and self control. I have had a snickers bar from a month ago still sitting in my work drawer. Oh how about the two boxes of fancy donuts people brought today--just a few feet away from me right now...doesn't help that everyone is emphasizing on how good they are.

Get rid of the foods that cost you most calories, it will be start towards the right direction (in fact if you can get rid of all processed foods, if you only eat natural whole foods you will always be full and be under your calorie goal, it's nearly impossible to eat same calories as when you do with junk food). I know what it's like to deal with an addiction but with some abstinence and learning self control you can learn to control your addiction to food.

If you have junk food in your house because of the kid, instead treat your kid to an ice cream once in a rare while while outside as a treat not as a reward so that you don't have to keep anything inside the house. Plus giving your kid healthier choices as you would for yourself will be good for everyone.

Oh my, if only a husband was as easy to dictate to as a child. Anybody who wishes is welcome to try dictating or appealing to mine.
  • InkedBlueStar
    InkedBlueStar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello, i just read your post and know those words ask to well. I was upset when i hot that weight then went through a period of I don't care. Which was then followed by holy crap I've gotten this much bigger. To who really cares cuz nothings going to change. I finally hit the point where I'm just not happy with myself and I want to be happy I want to be healthy I want to make me feel good not for anybody else just for me. So I started this journey again but using different tools to help me along the way. But I agree we need support we need each other because without each other what do we have. My husband is lucky and I said he's rail thin and doesn't have to worry about weight so he doesn't really understand. Yesterday when I was struggling his words to me were its ok you could just have one extra it's no big deal. But he really didn't understand what big deal it really was. But I persevered I didn't have that one last piece and today I feel better for not doing so today. If you'd like you could always add me as a friend like I said before strength in numbers. And the use of the numbers that we don't have to worry about counting these are the numbers at the count!