March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to think my current weight is a new standard for me. I had hoped to get the pounds off my knees but can't seem to pull it down like I have in the past. I am much bigger from weights - and now in my 40s. Maybe I need to adjust my go-to weight. I'm not obsessing - just mildly annoyed at aging.

I inadvertently took a rest day from running yesterday because I forgot my sports bra, lol ... 8-10 today - this is long for me - wish me luck!

To you who are beginning to hit your goals (or are rapidly approaching) - well done!!!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I read that yesterday when you posted it and I thought about it a lot when I ran this morning. I ran my usual local 5km parkrun and ended up at the back of the back for the first time after having a nose-bleed on the first lap, whereas normally I'm in the middle of the pack. And I have to say, the back of the pack is, just like the article alludes to, an even more awesome place to run!

You see so many different types of people fighting with every step to keep going, which is incredibly inspiring, and the sense of camaraderie was really strong - there were young people helping older runners around, friends running slower to support a friend who was new to running, a dad helping his 11 year old run his first ever 5km, and rather than heads-down-headphones-in, everyone was talking and cheering each other on. I have to say, I enjoyed it so much more running with them, and I even helped someone on the last straight to run sub-35 minutes for the first time by running with her and offering some support after having chatted to her from when she offered me another tissue. Honestly, it was the most fun I've had running that event, which is good really because performance-wise that was the worst I've done in months and I would otherwise have been in a stinking mood all day!

1st March - 3.03 miles
    3rd March - 4.03 miles
    6th March - 9.13 miles
    8th March - 3.30 miles
    12th March - 10.28 miles
    17th March - 3.77 miles
    19th March - 6.22 10km race PR!
    21st March - 3.06 miles
    25th March - 4.06 miles
    26th March - 4.15 miles

MTD - 51.03/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I thought i'd take advantage of the beautiful sunny weather we had here in the UK yesterday by getting out for a run, but it was awful. I managed 3.28 miles, but only just, I couldn't seem to get my foot fall and my breathing into any semblance of order, and kept having to walk for short breaks to bring my breathing back to a regular pattern. Not very impressed. I've done this route a few times now and had no problem, so don't know what the issue was. My OH suggested that maybe i'm just trying to do a little bit too much too soon, that I could do the 5k route maybe once or twice a week and have a shorter session on my 3rd weekly run until i've progressed a bit further. Maybe i'll try that and see how I go.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Gotta catch up on two full pages of posts since yesterday! :smile:

Being a down week this weekends long run was 8 miles. Another 4 miler tomorrow to wrap up the down week and then moving up to 42 mpw starting Monday! Eek! :smile:

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - Rest
    3/19 - 12 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles
    3/21 - 4 miles
    3/22 - 4 miles
    3/23 - 4 miles
    3/24 - 4 miles
    3/25 - Rest
    3/26 - 8 miles

130/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    01/03 3.5miles
    02/03 3.5miles
    04/03 3.5miles
    05/03 3 miles
    07/03 3 miles
    09/03 4.5miles
    11/03 5 miles
    12/03 3.75miles
    14/03 3.5 miles
    15/03 3 miles
    16/03 3.5miles
    19/03 5 miles
    21/03 3.5miles
    22/03 3.5miles
    23/03 4.3 miles
    26/03 5 miles - felt good and I'm past my monthly target. At the beginning of the month I thought maybe I was aiming a bit high going for 60 miles, now I'm thinking I might up my goal to 70miles.

exercise.png

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    I thought i'd take advantage of the beautiful sunny weather we had here in the UK yesterday by getting out for a run, but it was awful. I managed 3.28 miles, but only just, I couldn't seem to get my foot fall and my breathing into any semblance of order, and kept having to walk for short breaks to bring my breathing back to a regular pattern. Not very impressed. I've done this route a few times now and had no problem, so don't know what the issue was. My OH suggested that maybe i'm just trying to do a little bit too much too soon, that I could do the 5k route maybe once or twice a week and have a shorter session on my 3rd weekly run until i've progressed a bit further. Maybe i'll try that and see how I go.

exercise.png

@CariTJR The temptation is to push hard every time but listening to all the gurus on here, it is better to not focus on pace and take it easy (for me at times it felt barely beyond walking pace). Then when you try to go faster, it just happens and your easy pace also gradually is quicker too.

I went out and bought some new running gear today and it made me reflect on where I was in November when I first joined this group - there was a lot of walking to make up distances, it was all treadmill (I am now firmly in the dreadmill camp) and I was 30lb heavier. It was almost emotional standing there dressed in proper running gear looking the part.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    11/3: 3.2 Miles
    13/3: 5.0 Miles
    14/3: 3.7 Miles
    16/3: 3.2 Miles
    18/3: 4.0 Miles
    20/3: 6.2 Miles
    21/3: 3.2 Miles
    23/3: 4.4 Miles
    26/3: 5.0 Miles

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wow, no clue where to begin responding on so many of these!:lol:

All this talk of Brooks...I love my Brooks! Glycerine are my go-to pair every time. However, I require wides so I can only get the current models in the black/orange color so I can't just have a bunch of pairs of those! I also have a pair of Ghost's that I am enjoying quite a lot. I would LOVE to get my hands on the Launch, but they do not offer them in Wide.:cry: I have never heard of having to go half a size larger in Brooks. I have to go larger with some brands, New Balance in particular. Now for something weird, when I first was sized for running shoes, I was a 12 wide. Been ordering those since. Just recently went in to shop for other brands (got some Mizuno Wave Riders) and I am now a 12.5 wide. Somehow my feet got longer??? Now that I have 12.5 wide shoes, my 12 wides that always felt so comfortable now feel small.

One of the best lines I have heard about half and full marathons is that they are like a mullet; business in the front and party in the back.

@greenolivetree - You may just need to rest and get over this illness first. You can drag out some illnesses by running. If you are this much weakened, you probably need some rest.

@Amandajs232 - Tight running clothes are the best in my opinion.

@4leighbee - Sometimes you get stuck on a weight for quite a while. Just keep going. If you are seeing improvements anywhere else, either how you feel, speed, or even looking thinner despite not losing weight, then things are going in the right direction. I was stuck at the same weight for 9 months (despite getting thinner) and only in the last couple weeks has the weight started going back down again. Maddening!!

@CariTJR - The best advice I can give about pace (not that I probably have any good advice, I tend to be a bit reckless)...

Just enjoy the run. Look around at the scenery. Listen for birds, water, whatever might be around, distant trains, even traffic or smells, whatever. Lose yourself in the surroundings and don't lose focus of that other stuff (do be mindful of where you are running though so you don't get hurt). You can only do that if you run slow and easy. Any faster than that and your focus automatically shifts into maintaining pace, effort, whatever.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps
    11---5.41
    12---7.33
    13---worked, slept
    14---2.3 walk, biked 9
    15---7.23 easy
    16,17---eat days
    18---travel/crazy day
    19---5k turned out to be 2.85miles, about 0.5k short. So no PR. 
    20---13.4 RNR half 2:20:47
    21---5.01 recovery run/walk
    22---DOMs
    23---3.16
    24---druged
    25---5.28
    26---5.74 fast group run

Took the kinavaras out on the group run. My calves need to adjust and the group was small, only the faster folks showed up. Hard run for me, but I suppose it's a good change once in a while.
    I think I like long slow distance rather than the OMG I'm dying short runs. Of course, they ran 8-9 miles, I get dropped off to get my 6.

I noticed that I can hit a 6 pace for a very short time. Normal? Or is there hope that I could go from a 9:3 race pace to about an 8:3 at some point? My comfortable race pace is 9:45

Numbers don't lie, good run today. But hard feels like failure. Even with a potty break and milling around walking off cramps I was just under and hour for 5.74 miles. My 10k PR is 1:04 I think. So, least I hung with them for a bit. Woman that organizes the group is a BQer.

I feel like I should go run this afternoon. Early morning runs kind of leave me unsure what I should do with the rest of my day... Meal plan and read I suppose.. Maybe a walk...

100.82 miles/150

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  446.92/ 2016
  • Elise4270
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    ]

@CariTJR The temptation is to push hard every time but listening to all the gurus on here, it is better to not focus on pace and take it easy (for me at times it felt barely beyond walking pace). Then when you try to go faster, it just happens and your easy pace also gradually is quicker too.

I went out and bought some new running gear today and it made me reflect on where I was in November when I first joined this group - there was a lot of walking to make up distances, it was all treadmill (I am now firmly in the dreadmill camp) and I was 30lb heavier. It was almost emotional standing there dressed in proper running gear looking the part.

Congratulations @Amandajs232 ! That's super!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @4leighbee I've been at the same weight for almost 3 years. I have lost fat, and changed shape. Like @WhatMeRunning said, just keep at it. I picked up Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald and decided to up my calories and chose better foods to see if I can lose the last 10-15 pounds.

Today's run I found myself pulling my shorts up several times before giving in to tying the drawstring. But I'm actually up 3 pounds. So ignore the scale. :wink:
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I've got Club on Mondays, so what I do for that session tends to be dictated by that, I think i'll start doing the 5k route once a week, but on my 3rd run i'll just get out there and enjoy a shorter route, and try not to push myself too much, maybe do some intervals and see how that goes.

@Amandajs232 - Big well done on losing all that weight, i'm 25lb down so far and still going, like you say, it's quite a shock to see your reflection in proper running gear and you think "god, that is actually me!".
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SHOES! I think I really do love this company. The box was 3 days early, sealed with a kiss, and check out the bumper sticker. I've never put one on a vehicle, this one I might.

New merrell all out charge.... Please be THE shoe.

20160326_104105_zpscdkacmij.jpg
    We're French kissing BTW.
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Grrr....I can't get the ticker to pull up for me to add to it.
    I went out and ran 3.09 this morning which was more then I had planned. It gave me time to be frustrated and use as a release for my emotions -who knew running could be so beneficial for that. So that being said I've done 18.85 miles which is 6.85 miles more then my March goal.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    3/1-2.03
    3/2-3.53
    3/3-Rest
    3/4-Rest
    3/5-6.00
    3/6-3.13
    3/7-3.26
    3/8-Rest
    3/9-3.23 (5k pr)
    3/10-Rest
    3/11-Rest
    3/12-7.01 (personal distance PR)
    3/13-2.25 (getting closer to doing a true recovery run)
    3/14-3.14
    3/15-2.02 (4-10 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow, so I snuck a quick run in tonight)
    3/16-Crosstrain HIIT core work
    3/17-Rest
    3/18-3.01 (First AM run, in the dark)
    3/19- 6.27
    3/20-3.0
    3/22-3.0
    3/23- Rest
    3/24- 5.52<-First ever daily double. 3.5 morning, 2.02 afternoon.
    3/26- 5.0

Monthly total: 61.42/56

Notes on today's run: easy 5 mile with my mom. Slowed down to 12:12/mile including walking breaks. 64% of the time in zone 3. No zone 5. Very easy run at conversational pace. Felt like I could do another 5 when I finished. Looking forward to tomorrow's 3.5 miler.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1/16 - 2 miles
    3/4/16 - 6 miles
    3/5/16 - 4.5 miles
    3/6/16 - 3.1 miles
    3/11/16 - 6.2 miles
    3/12/16 - 5 miles
    3/14/16 - 3 miles
    3/15/16 - 4 miles
    3/18/16 - 6.5 miles
    3/19/16 - 4 miles
    3/20/16 - 5 miles
    3/21/16 - 3 miles
    3/23/16 - 2 miles
    3/25/16 - 4 miles
    3/26/16 - 7 miles

March goal: 52 March actual: 65.5 (numbers above are rounded so that's why there's a slight difference).

Right or wrong, 7 miles got done this morning. I slept a good 8 hours with Nyquil and once I got up and around I felt okay this morning. Averaged 9:27 pace. Not bad considering I stopped at 3 little parks to blow my nose and throw away tissues. Also running all over town (neighborhoods) vs. trail, I had to wait for cars a few times. Tomorrow will be rest/family day.

Oh, one question: I recently downloaded Strava and sometimes when my run transfers from garmin to strava the pace is different. Today garmin says 9:27 and strava says 9:11. Does strava delete out the time I was standing still (blowing my nose at Park trashcans)?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training
    March 17 - 4.5 miles
    March 18 - strength training cancelled :(
    March 19 - 34 mile bike ride
    March 20 - 8.4 miles - biking was canceled so impromptu run
    March 21 - 4.4 miles (after school) + day 1 of 28 squat challenge
    March 22 - 4.4 miles (intervals on a beautiful chilly morning) + day 2 of squats
    March 23 - 22 mile bike ride + day 3 of squats which was a rest day
    March 24 - 5.1 miles (squat rest day)
    March 25 - 4.0 miles run with daughter! + day 5 of squat challenge.
    March 26 - 34 mile bike ride + day 6 of squat challenge.

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    Options

exercise.png

I did it! Ten miles outside! :smiley:

Ran over to Jamestowne Island, water all around, breezy and beautiful, Captain Jack on the ipod ... so lucky.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    and thank you @Elise4270 and @WhatMeRunning for your encouragement! I am trying to ignore the scale because of course it's the advice I readily give to others. Just harder in practice, lol. Nine months ... okay, then I can do this. Thank you.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Oh, one question: I recently downloaded Strava and sometimes when my run transfers from garmin to strava the pace is different. Today garmin says 9:27 and strava says 9:11. Does strava delete out the time I was standing still (blowing my nose at Park trashcans)?
    Yes, Strava removes standing still time automatically, although I think this can be changed in settingd. Garmin Connect should show two paces, your overall pace and your moving pace. That moving pace will probably be similar to Strava.