March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @shilshilshil and @Orphia CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @shilshilshil and @Orphia Congratulations!
  • CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    CChen8520 wrote: »
    newbie here, setting a goal of 50miles!

03/04/16 3.1miles

exercise.png

Looking forward to my first 4 mile race in June :) good luck everyone
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3.1.16 - 7.2 m. : Rolling Hills preset program.
    3.2.16 - 0 : Lazy.
    3.3.16 - 11 m. : 89:30.
    3.4.16 - 6.6 m. : 59:45.
    3.5.16 - 7.1 m. : 68:42.
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    03/01 3.23
    03/02 3.19
    03/03 3.17
    03/04 3.27
    03/05 6.83
    TOTAL 19.69

GOAL 100

exercise.png

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Heaven help me, I can't keep up with this place right now, and I'm missing it! I have gotten a couple of runs in this week, although it feels so small compared to where I was. We are adjusting to life with diabetes--tonight was our first time going out to dinner and a movie as a family. Restaurant food is bad for you, by the way...we had our first really, really high sugar level to deal with, too. Live and learn!

3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training
    3/2....life in the way day
    3/3....3.5 @ 11:25 on the TM
    3/4....4.5 @ 10:33 on the TM ( .5 walking and 4 @ 10:00, which I think is my farthest distance at that speed)

exercise.png

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    4 miles today, very pleased with that and no leg pain :) 8.2 so far for the month.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    March 2016
    01/3 – 9.44........walk
    02/3 – 2.95........walk
    03/3 – 15.36......walk
    04/3 – 5.01........run
    05/3 – 10.00......run
    06/3 – 6.20........walk
    Total : 48.96 km b

300km has to be the lifespan of Nike Pegasus! This is the second pair I've had and both reach 300km before my archs feel like they are colapsing.. Ouch! No amount of massage is helping them right now.. Cannot wait for my Brooks - Just 10 days to go until I get my little hands on them! *rubs hands together with evil laugh**

No but seriously.. The amount of support in those shoes has to be better than what I have in the Nikes.. If it's not my knee killing me right now it's something else!

I am also writing here so I HAVE to stick to it - I am running my first Half on Saturday - Not a formal HM race, though I am doing it for the Leukaemia Foundation so I HAVE to do it :wink: Might end up walking more of it than running :lol: I still have no idea what I will take for fuel.. I've left it real late I know. I may just have to take some gummy bears.. I will probably run past home at the 10k mark to refill my water (It's still reaching 31+ degrees C here during the day)

March Races
    *12/3 Leukaemia Foundation Run – 21.1 km
    *20/3 Melanoma Awareness March – 4 km
    *The March Charge Monthly Challenge – 150 km
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Heaven help me, I can't keep up with this place right now, and I'm missing it! I have gotten a couple of runs in this week, although it feels so small compared to where I was. We are adjusting to life with diabetes--tonight was our first time going out to dinner and a movie as a family. Restaurant food is bad for you, by the way...we had our first really, really high sugar level to deal with, too. Live and learn!

3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training
    3/2....life in the way day
    3/3....3.5 @ 11:25 on the TM
    3/4....4.5 @ 10:33 on the TM ( .5 walking and 4 @ 10:00, which I think is my farthest distance at that speed)

exercise.png

Sorry to hear about the Diabetes! :frowning: It can be dealing with highs and lows, I've seen friends go through it. I hope you feel better soon! x Also, is your profile pic from the Disney run? I'm not sure if you have posted photos (I may have missed it!) Do you mind posting some more pics here? :) Have always wanted to go to Disneyland!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @Orphia @shilshilshil Congratulations! I still remember the first time I ever did one, even though I've achieved more since then, I still think that was the most proud I've ever felt. Enjoy the feeling of being AWESOME! :smiley:
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    1-mar: 3.3miles run/walk
    2-mar: 2 miles easy walk
    5-mar 2.9 miles walk

Week 1: 8.2 miles.
    Goal 60.
    Remaining miles: 52.1

I didn't manage to follow the plan in first week. So now I have to do 5 miles most days a week. Definitely will be challenging for me but I guess goals are supposed to be challenging. I read everybody's accomplishment and it motivates me to move

• freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    March Goal - 50km

March 6 - Rest
    March total - 12 km

38km to go :smile:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I looked at some strava runs with it and the HR sometimes get's offset mid run, no change in pace or elevation by as much as 20 bpm. I imagine any move of the watch will offset it. Seems more like a hassle for me. I want consistency
    @AdrianChr92 I don't know aout the Garmin 235 optical heart rate. But I do have another GPS watch with optical HRM. I never considered wearing the watch on top of the sleeves, in winter the jacket or gloves go over it, so at least that part of the optical measurement is not an issue for me.

Most of the time it works great, but yes, every now and then there is a weird drop in HR for a few minutes - and I'm pretty sure that's due to the watch, not my heart rate ;-) Here's an example.
    I usually don't do anything with my watch during runs except from looking at full kms when it gives me an average-pace report, so I don't think it would have any reasons to move around on my wrist, but maybe it does. If I wanted to check my pulse in between, I guess I would notice that somethings off and could adjust the fit of the watch, but I don't look at the HR until I'm home... Still, these glitches bother me a lot less than wearing a chest strap would, but if you want to rely heavily on your HR for training, it would probably annoy you a lot more.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I didn't run yesterday, as I was still coming down from a migraine overnight Friday-Saturday. I ran an easy 9 miles today (never thought I'd say that again!), other than the mud on the trail I went down, forgetting yesterday's torrential rain. After 3 miles of Bambi-esque slipping, sliding and one instance of ending up on my hands and knees, I changed my plan and went back to the roads. Then it was easy :)

I also thought I should start getting used to having something to eat when running, as I seem to need something around the 8-mile mark as a pick-me-up. I just had a little cereal bar at mile 7, and whether it's just psychological or not, it definitely helped. Also, it was easy to eat whilst running so I'm happy with my choice and think that will help for my half marathons.

1st March - 3.03 miles
    3rd March - 4.03 miles
    6th March - 9.13 miles

MTD - 16.19/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    19th Mar - Spring Riverside 10km
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays Good to hear that you're all starting to adjust. It's got to be hard. Your son is lucky to have such a caring mother!

@runner_girl83 Good luck on the HM Saturday! I'll be waiting with baited breath to hear about it! Re; your shoes. Do you rotate out pairs? That will add -- seriously -- 100-200 miles to them, in my experience. Decent running shoes should last more than 300km/185 miles! Usually they should last at least 300 miles/480km with heavy duty ones being good for 500 or more/800km. With my mileage, I usually rotate between 3-4 pairs, so you should be rotating between two! The extra time off allows the shoes to "bounce back" with the padding, foam, whatever else they put into running shoes.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Did you put your sunscreen on today? If not, go do it.
    @Virkati Lol, no, for some reason I didn't. I'm just about to head out, too late to fix that. I'm sure the mixture of rain and snow that the wind will throw in my face today would wash it off rather quickly anyway. B)

@shilshilshil and @Orphia Kudon on your first 10k, that's awesome!

@unner_girl83 Okay, your first Half next Saturday is noted and will be remembered, so now you have to stick to it :p Too bad about your shoes - I've never had a pair that broke down after 300km, that seems much too soon. Did you write to Nike about it and complain? Maybe you'll get lucky and they have some advice to offer how to keep them alive for longer.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1 week injured, 2 weeks lying on a sun lounger (did do 2x3.5k and a climb up a Mayan pyramid - not much but more than any previous holiday) and a few days recovery. So far in March I have done a 1k, 6k and 5k - that time off really hurts - blisters under blisters and sore feet, ankles and quads. Only 1 way to fix it - keep going! Count me in for 75km.

2/3 1k
    5/3 6k
    6/3 5k

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wow! All these new distances people are running, races, etc...this place is on fire!

I set out for a slow and easy 5 miler to recover from yesterdays long run, but only made it just down the street before deciding to stop due to how much various parts of my legs were yelling at me.

By the time I walked back I was feeling good though. So I tried again. Made it the whole way with no issues. I did add unplanned walk breaks every mile for .1 miles each to reward my legs for letting me run.

Now to reward them with food.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles

32/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    My joints said, "rest day!" They are the boss of me. :/