March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The schedule said Friday was supposed to be 3 miles, yesterday rest, today 3 miles, tomorrow 2 miles. High winds on Friday plus an evening social event eliminated the run that day so yesterday I did 4.5 around Sloan's Lake (not counting the cool down), need to do 1.5 today to get mileage where it should be so I only have to do 2 miles on my lunch break tomorrow. I'm really surprised and happy about how good the hip muscle is feeling after yesterday!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Question for all, I did my "long run" yesterday at 6 miles. I feel pretty good. Would it be OK to do another, shorter, like 5k Run today? Ttying to figure out runs since My reflective gear hasn't arrived yet, and it's going to be Dark tomorrow when I would finally get to run
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    just posted generally but this is the group who will know - just hate to junk up a very full thread with my issues. If you have experience with sesamoiditis, sesamoid stress fx, or turf toe, please offer me your perspective/experiences. I took a rest day from running (see earlier post) but went to do a calf extension and actually gasped from the pain - can't flex that foot without pain now. Pissed. (sorry but I am)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles

Today's run was SO MUCH BETTER than yesterday! Started nice and easy with a buddy and did 10 miles with her on a scenic route with lots of rolling hills that I had never done before. Then I did 5 miles at marathon pace-ish tempo. I want my MP to be about 8:00 or a bit less, but lately I am cruising at a 7:45 pace (today's average pace for the 5 mile tempo was 7:43) and it feels.... not EASY, but pretty comfortable. So maybe my race pace is faster than I thought? The true test will be my 5k this weekend; I'm planning to run that all out so I can calculate my new race paces. I think they're about 6:55 for a 5k, 7:20-7:30 for a HM and 7:45-7:55 for a marathon, but I have NO idea since I am both getting faster and getting more comfortable "embracing the suffering." Oh the joys of training! ;)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Question for all, I did my "long run" yesterday at 6 miles. I feel pretty good. Would it be OK to do another, shorter, like 5k Run today? Ttying to figure out runs since My reflective gear hasn't arrived yet, and it's going to be Dark tomorrow when I would finally get to run

I say give it a go and see how you feel. Just be prepared to cut it short if needed. I usually start out on a run then it turns into a walk.
  • kristinegift
    Options

You can certainly do that! I pretty much always do a slow recovery run the day after a long run. I think it helps work out soreness from the longer distance and limbers you back up for your next running/training day. You can run-walk 5k if you're sore, or aim for a shorter distance, whatever you feel!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I am really excited and happy with my progress so far. This morning I ran 3.3 miles straight, which is my best yet! That makes a total of 6.3 miles running/walking this morning. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Elise4270 @kristinegift Thanks. When it's mommy/baby nap time, I might just go for it
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    2/3 4.14
    2/4 4.26
    2/6 6.59

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I did 12 miles today in my brand new shoes that had a total of about 1 mile on them (part walking and part treadmill). They did aggravate my preexisting blisters a bit, but no new rubbing or hot spots. I love the zero drop, but it does feel weird running with a more cushioned shoe. Didn't take me long to get used to them!

However, I dig not plan well and forgot to refill my camelbak, so I ran out of water at around 5 miles in. Ended up slowing down and taking walking breaks to compensate, which got me through. Average pace was around 11:18/ mile, which I'm pretty happy with, all things considered.

Hoping my extra leg soreness is just from the shoe change. Nothing major, but I do feel my quads a little more than I expected to.

This run puts me at 22.4 miles of 100 for the month!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all you 10Kers! Great job! I've always found getting past the 4 to 6 mile markers the hardest, regardless of training. After that, for me anyway, it's usually smooth sailing
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Went to do a nice easy 5k as a recovery run after yesterday's 6 mile....

...and ended up setting a new 5k PR! 27:55

3/1 2.00
    3/2 2.50
    3/3 Rest
    3/4 Rest (hamstring bugging me so i gave it an extra day)
    3/5 6.00 (hammy felt great!)
    3/6 3.13

13.63/57

off to a good start, just need to learn how to take it easy on recovery runs, despite being slow
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Look at you! Nice!

@ceciliaslater I notice more quad soreness too going to a lower drop. I try to alternate my shoes though, I'm not ready for a complete transition. And my lower drop shoes are a 6. I really like feeling the quad/glute engagement. I think the 10drop I've been running in contributes to (just doesn't help) my muscle imbalance. I really should get some 0 drop shoes like vibram and do a mile a day on the TM. I can do it barefoot, but the surface is rough and will give me blisters after about 2.5 miles.

Everyone is killing March! Way to go!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

You can certainly do that! I pretty much always do a slow recovery run the day after a long run. I think it helps work out soreness from the longer distance and limbers you back up for your next running/training day. You can run-walk 5k if you're sore, or aim for a shorter distance, whatever you feel!

^^^^ this
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    WTG @shilshilshil , @Ch1psNQueso and @Orphia , that's a great accomplishment!
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Got some new kicks, mizuno wave rider 18's. I'll be rotating them in with my saucony ride 7's. Had my first run with them today and they felt awesome, it was fantastic. Win! (PS 4mile distance PR)

Bought a nike hydration belt. Main reason was to hold my phone close to my body to keep it from getting too cold, which prolly isn't going to happen again this season! But it does have 4 little bottles, two are removable and I will need hydration in the coming months with increased distance and heat/humidity. Ran with that today too and I had no issues. Win #2!

For the last half mile of my run I decided to push myself a little, step up my pace. I wasn't willing to do this before because I just felt my HR would take off leaving me gasping by the side of the road in the most unattractive manner, possibly causing alarm in passers by... But anyway! Today I decided to go for it. Didn't go crazy but did push myself and in the end my HR only went up about 5 points. Proved something to myself, win #3!

3/1 - 3.1
    3/2 - 3.1
    3/3 - x-train stationary bike
    3/4 - 3.1 slooow miles with my average HR
    3/5 - bought new shoes!
    3/6 - 4 miles

exercise.png
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    03/01 3.23
    03/02 3.19
    03/03 3.17
    03/04 3.27
    03/05 6.83
    03/06 8.15
    TOTAL 27.84

GOAL 100

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Options
    Kara Goucher is on Strava. I'm just in awe of her runs. 6:53 avg pace 1153 elevation gain 12+ miles.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @Elise4270 My friend and I were discussing Thursday at our group run if many elites would be on Strava. I'll have to check out her page. I want to marvel at the greatness!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m at 6:45 pace with 400m recovery between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy (kind of hungover lol)
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    Total: 44.23 miles

Overview:
    Today’s run was an easy 13 miles! My legs felt pretty exhausted after all the running I had done this week, so this was great practice for running on tired legs. It’s finally spring here too so I was able to break out a pair of running capris! After running 50 miles this week, I am really looking forward to next week’s taper ^_^

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)