March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Slow 5.4 miles in the rain...I am officially turtle soup. And I'm sitting here at my desk with soggy hair. My last 1/2 mile or so was pretty speedy, thanks to me trying to outrun a massive downpour (I succeeded at getting inside before the worst of it hit, so well worth it).

27.8 of 100 miles completed for the month.

Upcoming races:

3/20 - A2A Marathon (Ardmore, OK)
    5/14 - Fleet Feet Half Marathon - Four Seasons Challenge #1 (Tulsa, OK)
    7/4 - Firecracker 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #2 (Tulsa, OK)
    9/17 - The Q Doubler - Quarter Marathon + 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #3 (Tulsa, OK)
    11/5 - Jenks Half Marathon (Jenks, OK)
    12/17 - Rudolph Run 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #4 (Tulsa, OK)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    yikes @Elise4270 ... you rock.

Oh haha! I was hoping for a way to fix it. Im procrastinating on seeing a doc. I'll check with my hip surgeon in April. He'll probably say "dummy, why didn't you go see a podiatrist"...
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    March 8th - Travelled 6.32 k on the treadmill (32 minutes running@ 5mph, 21 minutes walking)
    To date - 36.3 k
    To reach goal - 63.7 k
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I have a vague recollection from my high school years of a podiatrist telling my mother and me that they would suggest breaking both my feet over the summer. We got orthotics. Maybe I'm finally paying for that wimpy choice.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I missed a day of running, but got back at it today and did Week 7 Day 1, which is 25 mins of running.
    Had more sodium over the weekend then I should have, and I felt it in my lower legs and feet this morning, but my workouts I'm doing have helped a lot with my hip and nerve pain, so I'm quite pleased with that.

Goal is to get through week 9 of 10k trainer.
    Mar 1 - Run/ 1.3 ml, walk/ 1.3 ml - 10k Trainer Week 6 Day 2, SW
    Mar 3 - Run/ 1.5 ml, walk/ .6 ml - 10k Trainer Week 6 Day 3
    Mar 4 - Run/0 ml, walk/3.24 ml
    Mar 5 - SW
    Mar 7 - Run/ 0 ml, Walk/ 1.71 ml- SW
    Mar 8 - Run/ 1.6 ml, Walk/.56 ml - 10K Trainer Week 7 Day 1
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I'm having essentially the same issues with my left foot. Some days are better, some worse. I keep hoping if I keep getting the weight off the foot problem will resolve itself. I am also spending every moment that I can barefoot - I keep reading the benefits of allowing the foot musculature to fix itself. I have found some foot mobility/strengthening videos that I am going to try for 30 days and see if that helps. I'll let you know!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.

Theree are quite a few factors as I see it.

#1 Where is your calorie deficit coming from?
    protein, fats, carbs?
    #2 What is the focus of your runs?
    lots of slow easy miles vs tempo runs and speed work
    also, do you do hills? strength cross train?
    #3 how much weight do you have to lose?

#1 Make sure you get enough protein in. Otherwise you don't have the building blocks that will be used to repair muscle damage and recover from workouts (DOMS).
    Healthy fats are necessary in celluar administration. Think avacados, nuts, fatty fish (like salmon and talapia), fish oil, flaxseed)
    Then carbs (vegatables and fruits first, then make up with whole grains and potatoes). Quick carbs for immediate recovery (nessessary if you are doing 2 a days). If you have a lot of calories left to spare, then you can treat yourself.

So addressing carbs. Long Distance Runners do burn a lot of carbs because the amount of cardio they do which burns a lot of the glycogen that is stored in your liver and muscles. The more you use up your stored glycogen, the harder it is to run faster than your easy pace as you get near your lactate threshold and beyond.

The faster you run, the faster you use up your glycogen. The slower you run, your body will begin to transition more as a fat burner than a carb burner the more you get into your run. The more you practice this, the better your body makes this adjustment. It's hard if you are not used to running on lower glycogen levels, but you can get used to it (just as long as you are not doing any high intensity running). Eating gu's or gatorade while running reasonable amounts makes it harder to train the body in making this transition. It's something you have to get used to. Not only mental, but physiological. The more you run on carb depletion, the better your body produces the harmones that will burn the fat at a more efficient manner. But your body can only do this if you are within your aerobic intensity. (Think conversational pace).

So this brings up #2.

So if you plan on doing lots of anaerobic work, or high intensity running. You are going to have a real hard time if you are running in a carb depleted state. If you do hills, or do lots of strength cross training, you will need to recover from muscle damage. Your recovery from DOMS will be much longer if you are eating at a calorie deficit.

All foods (protein, fat, and carbs) can be used for energy and can be used to replace loss of glycogen.
    The only purpose in life (to your body) for carbs is for energy. Fat and protein have other primary purposes as I started to suggest above. Fat and protein can be used to replace glycogen in a process called gluconeogenesis. But low carb diets do this much less efficient than higher carb diets.

#3 The more weight you need to lose, the harder it is to run.

I seen a Table on Runners World http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/whats-your-ideal-weight-find-out

it says.. If you lose 2 pounds, you can be be 12.4 seconds faster at a 5K, 25 seconds faster at a 25K, 52 seconds in a HM. 5 lbs you can be 31 seconds at a 5K, 1:02 in a 10K, and 2:11 in a HM. 20 pounds will make you 2:04 faster in a 5K, 4:08 faster in a 10K, or 17:28 in a HM.

So the more weight you need to lose, the more beneficial it is to concentrate on weight loss. If you only have a few pounds to lose and plan to do a lot of tempo and speed work, or lots of strength training, or hill work, then there is a level of diminishing gains on weight loss.

However, if you are sore constantly, feel like your pains may turn into injuries, then something has to give. Either the running intensity/volume or the weight loss. Before you make this decision, also make sure you are getting 8 or more hours of sleep at night.

EDIT: Also, the more weight you are carrying, the more of an impact you make with each step (ground impact forces). So every time your foot hits the ground, your higher weight you are carrying stresses your bones, ligaments, and tendons due to these ground impact forces. So the more chance to injury you have especially as you increase mileage.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Re: Xrays: @kristinegift Glad it is not broken. @4leighbee I have no idea what you just said, but it sounded like you just cussed me out in Armenian. I hope you get better.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I will - always do! :) I don't cuss nice people out. I'd be hard-pressed to cuss anyone out, actually. I do absolutely cuss myself out.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Calli1616 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I'm having essentially the same issues with my left foot. Some days are better, some worse. I keep hoping if I keep getting the weight off the foot problem will resolve itself. I am also spending every moment that I can barefoot - I keep reading the benefits of allowing the foot musculature to fix itself. I have found some foot mobility/strengthening videos that I am going to try for 30 days and see if that helps. I'll let you know!

Sounds promising. I do massage and manual stretching. I'm always barefoot at home, and I've never been a shoe person. Always barefoot. Please do let me know!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

EDIT: Also, the more weight you are carrying, the more of an impact you make with each step (ground impact forces). So every time your foot hits the ground, your higher weight you are carrying stresses your bones, ligaments, and tendons due to these ground impact forces. So the more chance to injury you have especially as you increase mileage.

I try not to think about this one...hopefully I can keep everything healthy long enough to lose the weight without breaking something :p
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom, unfortunately I don't have any devices to track my calorie burns. I know alot of people on here say that mfp is really high in what it says for calories burnt per exercise so I was surprised when map my walk was even higher. But going by what you're saying and @Elise4270 has said then mfp might not be that far of the mark. Thanks again for replying to me.
    Hope you have a great day.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I have a vague recollection from my high school years of a podiatrist telling my mother and me that they would suggest breaking both my feet over the summer. We got orthotics. Maybe I'm finally paying for that wimpy choice.

Oh wow! Yipes! Ya I'd gone with the wait and see also! I don't think I could tell my daughter we have to break your feet. Although, I think she'd really be okay with it IF it made her feet smaller. She's in a 11-12 women's... She hates it. I
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi all. New to group. March challenge is simply to get in 8 runs (and do the 4miler I signed up for on March 19th). Sort of new to running as in I've been trying to become one for years but after a little while (few weeks / couple months) life / kids / craziness happens and training gets shoved right off the list. Working to change that now. Startled myself today by going for a run rather than eating when a chaotic meltdown occurred. Funny thing - I could always justify eating (time/money) because you "have to" eat. Now trying to use that same "have to" mentality to justify taking time/money to run instead.

BTW - just got a Garmin Forerunner 15 for Christmas but I have no one to connect with on Garmin connect...so if anyone uses that as well and wants to "connect" - let me know.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    LJgfg wrote: »
    Hi all. New to group. March challenge is simply to get in 8 runs (and do the 4miler I signed up for on March 19th). Sort of new to running as in I've been trying to become one for years but after a little while (few weeks / couple months) life / kids / craziness happens and training gets shoved right off the list. Working to change that now. Startled myself today by going for a run rather than eating when a chaotic meltdown occurred. Funny thing - I could always justify eating (time/money) because you "have to" eat. Now trying to use that same "have to" mentality to justify taking time/money to run instead.

BTW - just got a Garmin Forerunner 15 for Christmas but I have no one to connect with on Garmin connect...so if anyone uses that as well and wants to "connect" - let me know.

I'm on Garmin, same screen name as here
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    3/3 4.14
    3/4 4.26
    3/6 6.59
    3/7 strength training
    3/8 5.16 miles

total: 20.15/60
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @LJgfg I have a Garmin Connect account but don't really "socialize" on it. I do on strava though. So if you have GC, you can open a strava account and have the GC account automatically synch to strava. Then you can join the new "in thing" that we all in this thread are now doing. We even have a strava group for this thread.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

it says.. If you lose 2 pounds, you can be be 12.4 seconds faster at a 5K, 25 seconds faster at a 25K, 52 seconds in a HM. 5 lbs you can be 31 seconds at a 5K, 1:02 in a 10K, and 2:11 in a HM. 20 pounds will make you 2:04 faster in a 5K, 4:08 faster in a 10K, or 17:28 in a HM.

Holy crap I'm going to lose 20 lbs!!!! I'll have to go back and check my heavier races vs today. But honestly I think speed has more to do with that fact that 60 lbs heavier I was a newer runner then I am today so therefore I'm naturally "faster"

@kristinegift glad it's not broken. Oh yeah girl you'll be having big time house envy...but if it makes you feel better those shore houses will be paying about $15 - 20K a year in property taxes. Do you feel better now?

• Stoshew71
    Options

Holy crap I'm going to lose 20 lbs!!!! I'll have to go back and check my heavier races vs today. But honestly I think speed has more to do with that fact that 60 lbs heavier I was a newer runner then I am today so therefore I'm naturally "faster"

@kristinegift glad it's not broken. Oh yeah girl you'll be having big time house envy...but if it makes you feel better those shore houses will be paying about $15 - 20K a year in property taxes. Do you feel better now?

Person from NJ looking at houses in Alabama. ...So you are looking at $1450 in property taxes. Is that per quarter or month? ...No, that's per year.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Person from NJ looking at houses in Alabama. ...So you are looking at $1450 in property taxes. Is that per quarter or month? ...No, that's per year.

@stoshew71 that is so true. I live on over a half acre and I pay $370 a year in property taxes. In NJ I had a slightly smaller lot and paid $1200 a year, but that was because I owned my house for so long. The folks that brought it from me went right up to $3000 a year at closing.