3/9 – 11.03 easy
    3/10 – 8.92 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/11 – scheduled rest day
    3/12 – 15.10 easy 2 solo, pace 8, race 5
    Weekly total 62.59 vs. target 62

March total to date – 109.98

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – Today I needed 15 miles to round out the week, and I was registered for a 5 mile race. The training program had a pace route of 10 miles, starting at 7:30. Gun time for the race was 9:30. I pace 8:30 per mile, but 10 miles at 8:30 ending a couple miles from the race meant I'd have to depend on traffic and parking being perfect to be there on time. Hmmm . . .

The route maker recognized that Johnny's is a major race in Rochester, and structured the 10 mile route to pass the start line 3 times, the last time at 7.5 miles. That was much appreciated by everyone in the program who wanted to run the race! The forecast was for about freezing at 7:30, but mid-40s at race time when I'd be running faster and generating more internal heat. The solution I came up with was to park near the start line at 7, run an easy 2 miles to where the pace group starts, then run 8 miles (the 7.5 plus back to where I parked) with the pace group, and then drop for the race. This let me wear a jacket for the early, easy runs when it was colder, then stash the jacket in my car and grab my singlet with the bib attached. Recognizing that Garmin overstated the distance on my speed work Tuesday and Thursday, I ran from the car to the start line without recording distance. I think in reality, this brought my actual mileage in very close to the weekly target.

So my 15.10 Garmin miles were in 4 parts: 2.00 miles solo to get to the start of the pace run, averaging 7:53 per mile; 8.05 miles with the 8:30 pace group, averaging 8:35 per mile because we hit some traffic lights unfavorably; the unrecorded distance from the car to the start line, probably about a half mile, but ignored because of previously overstated distance; and 5.05 miles of the race, where I know I didn't run all the tangents accurately. Official race time was 32:32, for 6:30 per mile by race miles; Garmin thought I averaged 6:26 per mile. This is in keeping with my rough rule of thumb than I need to run 5 seconds per mile faster by the watch than I want to finish by the course measurement.

Johnny's Runnin' of the Green is the unofficial start of the Rochester racing season, and the field typically has a lot of the better runners. My time was good for 81st out of 1557 finishers overall, and 1st of 39 in the male 60-64 age group.

Some of the less serious runners dress in theme for this one:
    p3jmhur7l9hs.jpg
    t91sgtlzcpsa.jpg
    q54xbp9pq6mc.jpg

Age group award included a cheap medal, a bottle of wine, and a coupon for $10 off the bill at a restaurant I won't find time for before the coupon expires. I gave the coupon to my coach, who lives on the side of town where the restaurant is and knows a lot of other people who live on that side of town.

z2mmgsfyrff7.jpg
    ntnnupd6xqu5.jpg

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - that's awesome! So fast!
    @ohhim- wow, that will be a lot of biking miles! Have fun.
    @runner_girl83 - WTG! So now to find another HM! :smiley:
    @louubelle16 - sounds like you just needed a break and now you are ready to run. Although, it does sound like a fun strategy for a PR! :lol:

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13 -

exercise.png

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    Not a very good week overall but that's fine. I lost a dear cousin this week and that just messed up my week. I managed to go spinning last night and tomorrow I'll try to get back on track.

Sorry to hear about your cousin @joinn68 It's a very difficult time losing someone to it. Too many are affected by cancer..A few of my family have had melanoma. My father is just starting treatment for cancer, too - Most of the time I run for the release as I can't cope otherwise, it's far too emotional!

A few relatives weren't lucky enough to survive their diagnoses.

I do hope your cousin wasn't in any pain and went peacefully x
  • runner_girl83
    Options

Overall: beautiful day to race, ultimately hit the goals I (originally) set for myself and gosh darn it, I WILL be happy about how I performed today!

Oh my gosh you are fast!! Wow! I struggle to get a sub 30 5k time! Very cool! Congratulations on first in your age group too!! :smiley:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - LOL! I never considered I would be anywhere but back of the pack for the MFP runners. :smile: But, I'd be willing to take you up on that and buy for each one ahead of me. Whoever is in first might just wind up a bit wobbly! :lol:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Thanks @Orphia @Becky_44 @5BeautifulDays @Elise4270 @GBrady43068 :smiley: The thought of heading out to do 21k was really daunting, so I broke it down.. Told myself I will just run 10km.. Then when I got there, told myself I could do 2k more.. then another 2k etc. I found this to be a great way to get through it, rather than stressing about the entire length.

My right knee isn't happy with me today :lol: I expected this though. I actually have some bruising on the outside of my thigh from where I was massaging the muscle yesterday. I don't really care about how it looks, I must have really massaged the crap out of it though!

@MobyCarp Thanks! And congratulations on coming first in your age group too!! Did they give you that bottle of wine? Wish all races gave you a bottle of wine after you finished! :wink: Would love to do a St. Patrick's Day run here!

@ddmom0811 Thank you! Planning the next HM for May - Another vitual. I would be fine to wait until my first HM race in July, though May is the month for Melanoma Awareness so would love to do a big run for it! :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 - LOL! I never considered I would be anywhere but back of the pack for the MFP runners. :smile: But, I'd be willing to take you up on that and buy for each one ahead of me. Whoever is in first might just wind up a bit wobbly! :lol:

I'm a lightweight. I've, at the moment had 1.75 "near" beers an life is "whoop!" I also have bacon wraped pizza so, I'm thinkin' a third beer is in order... Hope work don't page me out.. Wooo! Party!!! I'm alone. ' cept mybcat is staring at me. And I threw bacon at it.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps
    11---5.41
    12---7.33 beer me

54.85 miles/150

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  386.42 / 2016
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Nice race! Congrats!
  • Elise4270
    Options

4leighbee wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I'm glad to hear your husband is in recovery. It's a long road. xo

I'd love to run a HM with some of you some time - not *with* you (pant, gasp, pant), but meet up and say hello, etc. ... if any of you runs in Virginia - particularly Richmond, please keep me in mind. :)

Absolutely! Love some MFP high fives and pre/post race grub!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Loving all these race reports today, you guys! Seems like this was a big day for racing! Too many posts to go through and find all the names (sorry, I'm lazy!), but if you raced today or are racing tomorrow, congrats! :)

I'd love to run a HM with some of you some time - not *with* you (pant, gasp, pant), but meet up and say hello, etc. ... if any of you runs in Virginia - particularly Richmond, please keep me in mind. :)

@4leighbee I really want to get to Virgina Beach for one of their big races (RnR or the Yuengling race), but have to save up some money to do it since I'd have to get a hotel. Maybe we can have an East Coasters meet up next spring! RnR is early in September, but... wouldn't that be a hot date for a race in Virginia?!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Loving all these race reports today, you guys! Seems like this was a big day for racing! Too many posts to go through and find all the names (sorry, I'm lazy!), but if you raced today or are racing tomorrow, congrats! :)

@4leighbee I really want to get to Virgina Beach for one of their big races (RnR or the Yuengling race), but have to save up some money to do it since I'd have to get a hotel. Maybe we can have an East Coasters meet up next spring! RnR is early in September, but... wouldn't that be a hot date for a race in Virginia?!

I'd make a trip for this!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A Long Winded Rambling Post.

A real crappy week as I posted on my News Feed on the 10th " Here it is Thursday morning and I haven't seen any of my shoes since sunday. Work - life not balanced - turning into a grumpy gus because of it. Didn't get into the house until 1am last night and back at it for 8am. grr!! Runner envy looking at the challenge group."

It was a of lot of driving-windshield time this week.

Saturday Morning Running group - made up for the crappy week.
    We drove south out of town to where they build an Ice Bridge over the river for the winter and run a Ferry in the summer. 6 Dedicated Fools 3M&3F.
    20 km - 3 Hills ( 2 hills - climb one twice ) - 2hrs 5 mins for me and 2 of the Ladies. From the Ferry parking lot it was a 5 km run North along the River Road with Big Slabs of Ice floating along in the river ( we are close to Spring River Break-up where the Ice melts ), then a hard left turn and 1 km to the base of the Bricks Hill, 4km to the top and then return.

On the 5km outbound leg there is a South Facing hill at about 3km that is one of those dreaded long ( 1.5km ) shallow hills that seem to go on forever but not that steep so you don't realize how much energy you are burning. Once you crest that hill the its a quick 0.5 km down hill ( net 0 elevation change ) to the turn for the 4km BIG HILL ( Bricks ). Lots of switch backs and False Crests. Just when you think you are at the top another 0.5km appears around the bend. On the return run with the long 4km downhill I tend to be a slow cautious runner as I have Over-Strided in the past and that resulted in a Hyper-extension of a Knee. Of course we had to climb the 0.5km North Face of the first hill and it was actually steeper than anything on the Big Hill. A great feeling of accomplishment.

The other Faster Group 2M&1F did another 10km and 1 more hill - a very tired but happy group.
    exercise.png

03/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km – 263.8 Km
    03/02- 10.0 Km – 10.0 - 130 km – 273.8 Km
    03/04- 11.0 Km – 21.0 - 119 km – 284.8 Km
    03/05- 13.0 Km – 34.0 - 106 km – 297.8 Km
    03/06- 8.0 Km – 42.0 - 98 km – 305.8 Km
    03/12- 20.0 Km – 62.0 - 78 km – 325.8 Km

Too many posts to read and comment on since I have been off line for most of the week.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Its terribly Off Topic But -- From the Cat-Kitten Gif
    socalkay wrote: »
    Why I came to MFP...

sgzr4p7vg5o1.gif
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 Mar – 3 km
    2 Mar – 4 km
    5 Mar – 5 km
    6 Mar – 10 km – first time ever!
    8 Mar – 7.5 km
    10 Mar – 5.1 km
    12 Mar – 5 km – parkrun PB!
    13 Mar – 10 km

Total: 49.6 km
    Goal: 60 km

Ran 10 km again! Last Sunday was not a fluke! Beat my time by over a minute too.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Its terribly Off Topic But -- From the Cat-Kitten Gif
    socalkay wrote: »
    Why I came to MFP...

sgzr4p7vg5o1.gif

Oh that's so sad! Poor cat, and next week will be more runs. Ya know it's better to be busy and miss a run or two than be injured and be sittin' it out.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Reading all the running reports and other posts made me realize 3 things. We have some seriously awesome runners here, I have a lot of miles to go, and I hate the fact that I'm so far away from a lot of races.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March Goal: Run often

3/1 3.44
    3/2 9.27
    3/3 rest
    3/4 3.30
    3/5 meh
    3/6 3.70
    3/7 3.12
    3/8 struggling
    3/9 mightily
    3/10 5.00
    3/11 more meh
    3/12 4.05

Total 31.58

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    said, the heck with it. I'm signed up: http://www.elymarathon.com/#!half/c17i2
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Date.................KM...................Total
    3/2..................04.13.................04.13 (Walk)
    3/3..................02.62.................6.75 (Walk / Run)
    3/4..................03.40.................10.15 (Walk / Run)
    3/5..................04.37.................14.52 (Walk / Run)
    3/6..................01.52.................16.04 (Run)
    3/10.................01.58.................17.62 (Walk)
    3/12.................05.16.................22.78 (Run / Walk)

Upcoming Races: 10 April (5K)

exercise.png