March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @rjmqk3 I agree with @_nikkiwolf_ if you are "dead" at the end of your runs and you can't add distance you are running too fast. Training runs are not meant to be done at race pace. If your 5K PR is about 9.5 min mile, slow down to a 10 to 10.25 min mile to add some distance.
    @MNlittlefinn @_nikkiwolf_ Skip has a great rain jacket, I'll need to check what it is, I'm 85% it's Brooks. She has run in the pouring rain and not gotten wet in it, the hood is tighter around the face so it doesn't fall off like a normal hood would. She'll wear it when it's really windy too and says it's awesome.
    @ohhim great pictures, how many miles is that ride? Looks like quite an adventure
    @vandinem woohoo signing up for your first races is exciting
    @sthoma13 what are you binge watching? I'm always looking for something good
    @itsup2memi welcome!
    @runnger_girl83 super news on being cleared to run distance. What Brooks did you end up buying again? I LOVE my Launch 3s. As a matter of fact I'm wearing them all the time now, so I'm going to get another pair.
    @rohanivan UGH I HATE when a race is advertised as something it's not!
    @karllundy I personally hate the two in one compression pants they never feel comfortable to me, but that might be because I like compression shorts in one size and my running shorts in another.
    @kristinegift I agree on the foam rolling. We brought another roller more like this - and it seems to work better for us than the foam roller. We can get into the muscles deeper and more accurately to what needs it. The one we brought has a few smaller rollers inbetween the bigger and Skip loves them for her Achilles. She doesn't wear compression socks like knee highs but will occasionally wear compression socks for the achilles if they are going to run a longer distance.
    uf26tfpkz397.jpg

Going to take a rest day today because my leggies are talking to me a bit today from yesterday.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Oops! You're one mile behind me! Good thing I've got one more run in store today! ;) (Though I think @MobyCarp is gonna have us beat this month!)

Yup! @MobyCarp is a beast.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    rjmqk3 wrote: »
    Help! I'm having serious trouble adding distance to my run. I'm doing some HIIT in the morning and trying to run in the evening. I've tried a couple outside runs, but the wind is FIERCE here! My speed is improving, but I always feel dead at the end of my run. I'm super new to this, so any advice will be helpful!

Start by running at an easy conversational pace for now. Focus on getting the distance, not the speed. Speed will come in time. Make sure you increase you miles slowly and over time. For example, adding a mile to your weekly mileage can be a big deal.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I am not as stiff today but still having some difficulties. So I did some dynamic stretches ahead of this mornings 5 miler. It was a good run. Effort was easy, pace was about what I have the day after a long run.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles

87/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ceciliaslater Thought of you today out on a run.

20160315_170424_zpsyji7fjzm.jpg

Gah! I'm both excited and nervous...I know I won't do as well as if I had not gotten injured, but I'm confident that I can at least finish. Due to the injury, I'm letting go of my time goal and aiming for a "finish before they pack it in" race. Still hoping for under 5 hours, but I won't be too disappointed if I don't make it. There's always next time, right?

Skipped my run yesterday, as I was feeling a little weirdness in my right ankle and didn't want to risk it. And, to be completely honest, I was feeling tired and lazy when I got home. Feels good today, so I'm replacing today's scheduled 2 miler with yesterday's 3 miler over lunch. Next to last run before the marathon...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ and @Elise4270 I will try going slower or alternating run/walks. Part of the problem is I run with my husband and he is SO STINKING FAST! Perhaps I will have to fly solo a couple times a week to work on distance. Thank you for your input! I love this message board. So many good ideas and so much support and encouragement.

I can not run withy husband. He's faster, won't pace with me and it just causes anger amd anxiety. Last time he was badgering me about being slow, so I hit a sub 6 pace for about a quarter mile. Then injured myself. Find some gals to run with ;)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Thought of you today out on a run.

20160315_170424_zpsyji7fjzm.jpg

Gah! I'm both excited and nervous...I know I won't do as well as if I had not gotten injured, but I'm confident that I can at least finish. Due to the injury, I'm letting go of my time goal and aiming for a "finish before they pack it in" race. Still hoping for under 5 hours, but I won't be too disappointed if I don't make it. There's always next time, right?

Skipped my run yesterday, as I was feeling a little weirdness in my right ankle and didn't want to risk it. And, to be completely honest, I was feeling tired and lazy when I got home. Feels good today, so I'm replacing today's scheduled 2 miler with yesterday's 3 miler over lunch. Next to last run before the marathon...

I'm sure you'll do fine. Last year a guy walked the whole thing and they waited on him. I hear the South wind is bad the last few miles coming in.
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ and @Elise4270 I will try going slower or alternating run/walks. Part of the problem is I run with my husband and he is SO STINKING FAST! Perhaps I will have to fly solo a couple times a week to work on distance. Thank you for your input! I love this message board. So many good ideas and so much support and encouragement.

I can not run withy husband. He's faster, won't pace with me and it just causes anger amd anxiety. Last time he was badgering me about being slow, so I hit a sub 6 pace for about a quarter mile. Then injured myself. Find some gals to run with ;)

Silly husbands! Mine is always a block ahead of me AND is pushing the double stroller. I think I need to add more weight to that stroller to level the playing field!
  • Elise4270
    Options

Silly husbands! Mine is always a block ahead of me AND is pushing the double stroller. I think I need to add more weight to that stroller to level the playing field!

Now that's thinking! Oh wait, nah you want that stroller to be HIS job!
  • Elise4270
    Options

@sthoma13 what are you binge watching? I'm always looking for something good

Going to take a rest day today because my leggies are talking to me a bit today from yesterday.

I wanna know too. My daughter got me hooked on Marvel's Jessica Jones. It was awesome. Now I need more. Schittss Creek is funny.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

ha ha! My other half runs faster (22 years of military training LOL) but I can run further so I just let him go when we run "together". Though I gotta say I smoked him in the last 5K we ran together :wink: I love the idea of putting more weight in the stroller ha ha. BTW I hate those people pushing a double stroller that pass me in a race, honestly that's just showing off!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I would like to join even though the month is half done :) I've been trying to follow the posts and figured I might as well start posting now rather than waiting until next month.

My goal for March is 52 miles. I'm at 33.8 as of yesterday. Today is a rest day.

Background: Took 8 weeks off end of last year (high hamstring issue, nagging pain in my butt) and essentially tried to start over Jan 1 and "do it right" this time. In total I've been a runner about 18 months but with a series of aches and pains and time off. So I guess you could say I've been an inconsistent runner. March will be the most miles I've ever run in a month and the most consistent I've ever been for 3 whole months! My average pace right now is about 9:30.

This month so far:
    3/1/16 - 2 miles
    3/4/16 - 6 miles
    3/5/16 - 4.5 miles
    3/6/16 - 3.1 miles
    3/11/16 - 6.2 miles
    3/12/16 - 5 miles
    3/14/16 - 3 miles
    3/15/16 - 4 miles

I also do other workouts - strength training 3x a week, walking, very occasional biking, other aerobics.

All the posts here are a little overwhelming but thanks for letting me join and I'll try to keep up :smiley:
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning ok ok I giggled! Honestly that was almost as good as a race report ;) Hear me raw...awoww oww. Awesome for you tho, I'm totally jealous of all that running extra goodness!

@9voice9 You're doing so great, it's really inspiring to watch you getting back into it with sound reasoning.

@AdrianChr92 nice vid! I will attempt those stretches, tho my brain is screaming 'IMPOSSIBLE!'

@_nikkiwolf_ If you haven't heard of it, there is a wash you can put on your old gear to revive the waterproof/resistance back to new. Wont fix your zipper, but might keep you dry! And really, whats up with no hood, or water resistant pockets on rain resist coats!
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No early run this morning, instead I decided to make my early bus catching kiddo breakfast and sit at the table and enjoy some quiet just mommy/daughter time before all the others woke up and started their days. I haven't done that in a long time and it was so nice. My legs are a bit sore anyway from leg day yesterday so I don't think it'll hurt for an extra rest day. I ended up doing 10 miles on the bike and 1.5mi walk on the treadmill after getting the others off to school anyway so I still got my cardio in for the day.

I am really appreciating this thread! I'm learning a lot from everyone and it is nice to see I'm not the only one who has an issue or needs advice on something that I am just too scared/nervous/shy to ask but thankfully someone else saw a need to ask it. Some things I'm still confused on but just because I'm still learning all of this. You all are very supportive and encouraging to everybody and it is great. :smile:
  • TriniDiva_PA
    TriniDiva_PA Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day! We are half way through the month. Here's what I've done so far:

exercise.png

Looks like I might just achieve my 50-mile goal for March B)
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness, that story got to me but the video made me cry....♥ what a great story!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace (pm)
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m @ 6:45 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (am)
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (pm)
    3/10: 4.75 miles, 3x800m @ 6:45 pace + 2x400m @ 6:30 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/11: 5 miles, super easy
    3/12: 2 miles, warm up
    3/12: 5K race, 23:27
    3/13: 9 miles, easy with strong finish
    3/14: 5 miles, easy
    3/15: 5 miles, 1.5 miles at LT pace (7:40)
    3/16: 5 miles, easy
    Total: 97.69 miles

Overview:
    Today’s run was an easy, sweaty 5 miles! I’m really enjoying being back in Florida! Only a few days until my next race - the Excalibur 10 miler. I can’t wait!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    ccnagain wrote: »

Oh my goodness, that story got to me but the video made me cry....♥ what a great story!

I read the story, no way I was watching g the vid. I hate crying. Made me wanna go home a hug my puppy dogs.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 3.1
    3/2 - 3.1
    3/3 - x-train stationary bike
    3/4 - 3.1 slooow miles with my average HR
    3/5 - bought new shoes!
    3/6 - 4 miles
    3/7 - x-train stationary bike
    3/8 - 3.1
    3/9 - 3.1