Have a fun and safe trip, Barbie!!

Good night, everyone!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    I tried posting cute faces from my phone and they didn't show up so I guess words are all you'll see from me while I'm away

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Grits: Pumpkin from a can is good for dogs that have digestive upsets. :heart: I have never done Reiki, but I looked it up online and there is a demonstration that looks easy to follow. I tried it and liked it. It seems to be exercise and not exactly massage.:smiley:

Joyce and Vicki: Happy Birthday! Twins! :wink: :flowerforyou:

Dr: Katie: After hearing about shopping with your mother, it looks like you have inherited indomitable genes. WTG! Be sure to thank her. :wink:

Anne from Wisconsin: I am sorry about the insensitive coworker. What a doofus. People like that make enemies for the Lord because they are thoughtless and cruel. (((HUGS))) They make enemies for themselves, too. :noway:

Anna: Welcome! I hope your knee replacement surgery goes well. A neighbor recently had his done and his life is better than it was. He had to lose 50 pounds before the doctor would perform surgery. It was too dangerous due to his weight. Afterward it didn't take long for him to regain most of it. I hope you'll get any excess weight that could be a danger to your health off and stick around here for support to keep it off. :flowerforyou:

Kim: Egg whites are low calorie and nearly pure protein. You can put them in lots of things or cook and eat them. I boil the eggs and give the yolks to the dog, who thinks he's gone to doggy heaven. :noway:

CJ: Welcome back! I hope your life takes a less stressful path in the future. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Enjoy your travels. :smiley:

I am done with the bone doctor! He says I can do as I wish and to ease back into the use of my right wrist. Progress!!!!! :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Bon Voyage Barbie! Have a wonderful time reading-a-map-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    linnellal wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group. My name is Anna and I'm 52 yr old and boy do I have a lot to lose. But I'm having a little difficulty lately as I have been physically limited. I injured my left knee last July and have been on crutches ever since. But the good news is that I went to Mayo Clinic and we have set a date for knee replacement surgery. I will be recovered just enough for summer activities. That makes me very happy. Until then I've been logging all my food religiously and I do get some ecercise.... there are 17 steps up into my apartment. Glad to have found you ladies. I already have you bookmarked
    Anna

After my mom had her knee replacement she said it was wonderful. I hope you have the same results she has had. Granted she was 70 at the time of the replacement she does more which is wonderful. She actually started mowing her grass etc cause she felt so great. Needs the other knee done now so she has slowed down again but she said she has been happy with the one that has been replaced.

Anne from Wisconsin

I have had both knees replaced in the last year. The left was was replaced just 5 months ago. I am now doing squats and lunges every other day holding weights, along with several other weight resistant exercises. Its great.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Barbie- Have a fun time! Post pictures if you can!

There is a lot of great exercise workouts going on here! Great job ladies!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Anne from Wisconsin – I’d like the granola recipe, too … please.

CJ – On MFP, they have walking, slow pace, moderate, and I never get any higher than that. I’ve found that you have to be very creative in what you plug in as something you are looking for, especially in the exercise portion of this site. Maybe speed-walking? I don’t know if it is there or not; but, maybe something close to it.

Lenora
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Enjoy Barbie, thanks for starting us off!
    Dh started a new job (just what he has been looking for/and in his field), trying to learn the position and is overflowing with anxiety about it all.
    Anne - I'm so sorry you are hurting. Love yourself
    My mother's rental house is alllmost done inside, still putting rooms back together, except every time inspect a different part of the house, notice something else that needs repair
    Yesterday, an ECG was done on me (have been participating in a research study on a new cholesterol med) and the doctor mentioned my heart is enlarged?? Going back tomorrow to drop off things and going to ask for a copy of that as was in a hurry yesterday. Anyone thoughts?
    Never knew about the pumpkin and dogs.

Linda in Calif
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Becca - thanks - I'll look at those at the turkey and brie at the market, I love granola but have not found one that is not too high in calories -- they all seem so high, do you have a favorite brand? - And don't be too jealous, we are still so far behind the water levels we need to get through the summer.... grrrrrr

The granola I am presently enjoying is called "Bob's Red Mill Original whole grain apple blueberry granola. No fat added. Calories is 170 for 1/2 cup, 2 g of fat, 10 mg sodium, 12 g sugar, 8% iron. I have it with 1/4 cup of walnuts, and then my soy milk, and a tsp of honey. It makes for a large breakfast, but it keeps me energized so I am happy. Some days I load up on a great breakfast, not just a Daves Killer bread slice with some peanut butter on it and coffee... I have realized that with granola, its not about the amount, but about flavoring. Some are too crunchy and sweet for me. Others just cardboardy tasting. This seems to fit the bill for me.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I read in so many health and fitness blogs that "cheat days" are not a good idea. All you end up doing is erasing all your hard work that you've done all week. So, I don't do them. I allow myself a gooey dessert every day instead.

I do not allow myself cheat days. To me its back-pedaling. I am in a support group (TOPS) and every Wednesday after our meeting alot of the ladies go out to eat. I think its kind of hypocritical to preach great eating habits, then have fattening lunches. So, you can imagine they don't really invite me to lunch ever. I equate it to having a pristine checking account, always balanced, then every once in awhile bouncing a check. All it really does is stress you out, and worry about if you are going to balance the account for the rest of the week. For some it works great, but for me it doesn't work.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I read in so many health and fitness blogs that "cheat days" are not a good idea. All you end up doing is erasing all your hard work that you've done all week. So, I don't do them. I allow myself a gooey dessert every day instead.

I do not allow myself cheat days. To me its back-pedaling. I am in a support group (TOPS) and every Wednesday after our meeting alot of the ladies go out to eat. I think its kind of hypocritical to preach great eating habits, then have fattening lunches. So, you can imagine they don't really invite me to lunch ever. I equate it to having a pristine checking account, always balanced, then every once in awhile bouncing a check. All it really does is stress you out, and worry about if you are going to balance the account for the rest of the week. For some it works great, but for me it doesn't work.
    Becca
    Oregon

I agree, if we have to call it a "cheat day" right there it is sending guilt feelings. This is not a diet, not a destination, it is a life long healthy eating journey. That's not to say I don't have a dessert or something with more carbs once in a while, I do. I do figure it in to my calories, etc. But as you say, Becca, in an entire day you can blow your entire good work for the week. If you feel you are "cheating", you are probably not enjoying it. When I do allow myself a treat, I eat it slowly and absolutely enjoy every bite. :) Just my opinion.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Weight resistance training:
    Triceps Extension 3x8x5
    Lunge 3x8x10
    Abdominal Crunches 3x8x5
    Dumbbell Row, Two-Arm, Bent-Over 3x8x10
    Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbells 3x8x10
    Leg Curls 3x8x5
    Side Leg Raises 3x8x5
    Leg Extension 3x8x5
    Overhead Press, Barbell 3x8x10
    Front Squats, Dumbells 3x8x10
    Front Raises, Straight Arm 3x8x10

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Many, many years ago with one of the many diets my husband and I went on we had one cheat day every two weeks and it was always pizza. We ordered a large pizza for the two of us. After awhile we noticed that we just couldn't eat all of it and took ourselves down to a medium. It was a good feeling that by staying strong during the week, we could go off of it on one day. Not crazy off but non the less off of it. To us it was like weaning us down to where we knew we needed to be. It worked until the next time we went back to our old habits and always gained back everything we had lost.

I think i have my cold back or whatever it was. I have an awful headache at the base of my neck and feel extremely exhausted in a way I haven't felt in years. It is an effort to walk. I am hoping I sleep well tonihgt. I will take a sleeping pill. My family doc gave me a bunch of samples. Ther cheaper of the two made me very restless and wouldn't you believe it the expensive one works real well. So I think I have 2 pills left. We have an appointment tomorrow at the hospital we both worked at for the people in benefits to help us fill out paperwork to start an early payout on the retirement plan they started for employees. They don't have to help us, people usually fill the paper work out and send it to the hospital to be signed and sent in. We have no idea what we are doing with it though.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Boy I must have been really zonked yesterday. Two spelling errors in my post! Today I find that it's raining a bit, with maybe a snowflake or two mixed in. But I've got calories to burn so I'm taking my bike to the lecture venue today too.

Anna in Northeast Iowa wrote:
    The weather really determines what you are going to do day by day for exercise this time of year. There are some fools who ride their bikes all year long even in the ice and snow. I'm too old for that nonsense. I've seen what a good fall in the winter can do to a person on a bicycle.
    Yep, that fool, that's me! :wink: Honestly, with all the extreme conditions I face I can't afford to let the weather determine what I'm going to do. Not entirely, anyway. When it's actually life-threatening I'll stay indoors, but a bit of rain and cold won't hurt me. Much.

The bike paths are free of ice and snow so all I have to worry about is the loose gravel. Which I DO worry about, because it's even worse than ice! But I'll be careful.

And inspired by Heather's nice outfit, I'll wear something other than cargo pants today :smiley:
    /Penny, not currently at the emoticon-object-026.gif

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning dear friends~
    Barbie ,you and Jake have a wonderful time ~~
    Well I got what 11 hrs of sleep the night before last, and got 7 last night, got up at 2 this morning with Tom...
    have a load of laundry in and will get that done before heading to the gym, early, going to do 1/2 on treadmill and then if they still have it,the zumba class at 6 then do the weight machines... I am going to try and take it all a day at a time and get back to being a healthy person...
    so Nice to have so many new friends here..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Well, I made it! It started raining a bit harder the last couple kilometers but nothing I couldn't handle.

Anna, just to be clear, I'm not the least bit upset or offended by your comment. :flowerforyou: It's just that I have to be vigilant and make sure I don't let outdoor conditions stop me from exercising. That would be my downfall!
    /Penny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Joyce~ Love ya lots xoxoxox
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    o:)