WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,138 Member
    Options
    yvonne- pumpkin worked great! So the next morning yesterday, I gave him just his regular dog food again he had an issue. The vet had me put him on a rice diet and I mixed pumpkin in with it. He had that last night and this morning he was fine. I fed him normally again today and haven't had an issue yet! Thanks for the great advice!

Heather- first class Yay! Your lunch sounded delicious as well as your dinner plans! You can never have too much fish.

Lenora - I used to do 50 minutes of hula hooping every day. Very good exercise and a lot of fun. Challenge yourself to five minutes five times a day and increased by one set every day. Remember baby steps! This will get you ready for your pool in two months.

I had a light breakfast, took the puppy for a walk and now I am off to do my kettle bell swings. I will check in a little later!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Wowsa! So tired! Since I was up at 3, I ate breakfast at 3:30 (I woke up hungry; cottage cheese and a half a baked potato), second breakfast at 6:30 (yogurt and berries) and brunch at 9:30 (scrambled egg whites and zucchini), lunch at 1:30 (chicken soup with tobasco and a scoop of vanilla ice cream chaser)...I think my body thinks I am a hobbit today. Darn cold! My voice is almost gone, but made it through a reading of Daisy Head Maisy in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday. Kids are all asleep now, except the one little one in my lap, who has decided she doesn't want to nap. :'( I have three two year old boys in my care and they were so naughty today; if I owned a dog or had a "cone of shame", they would have been wearing it today. They probably weren't that naughty, just too naughty for me to want to deal with when I am not up to par. Oh well, two or three hours and they will all be gone!

Heather- You look amazing and your day/evening sounds like it was very enjoyable! What fun!

Mary- Love your stories about Shep! He is such a sweet looking little guy!

WW ice cream treat news- keep an eye on those labels! I found out that our store brand fudge pops are lower in calorie than the WW version. Same size, too.

Suzy- I was a GS Leader and I know exactly what time of year it is! So hard to resist those colorful little boxes; and for such a good cause! There was a time when I was buying 30 boxes a year of those darn things. I haven't bought a box in a couple of years, but they are always in my mind come Feb/March! Good for you for resisting!

Allie-Trail mix! The healthy snack that is not healthy if you eat too much! I was stunned when I found out I was eating too much granola/trail mix! I was even making it home made so I was putting all kinds of healthy nuts and seeds in... :p Joke's on me! Back to an apple a day, leave the trail mix for the kiddos.

Here is something to be grateful for! I have a canker sore on my inner cheek, thanks to the cough drops I have been sucking on today. Makes it hard to eat. Kind of stings. Looks like maybe yogurt for dinner. Better that than ice cream >:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,598 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Baby finally asleep and I am just sitting here, thinking about stuff. Thought I'd share a funny but bad "mommy" moment. When my kids were young around ages 4,8 and 10. I did a very cool "mommy" thing and took them on a hike down by the river to cut some cattails. I think this is illegal?? But I didn't know it then. Anyway, lead the kids through the field and it started to get mushier and boggier and then...we stepped on a bees nest in the ground! Get ready, here comes the "bad mommy moment". I yelled "BEEES! RUUUNNN!" We all took off running and I left my own kids straggling behind me. Daughter took two stings to the bum and youngest got one sting on his pinkie! LOLOLOLOL! My kids never went on another off trail hike with me again. :*
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Well I have decided I am just going to start with the first of March and go from there. Anyone I missed sorry. Today is my BD and working the 7-3 and then going over to sit with my friend at the nursing home and have women's Bible study this evening. It is to be close to 65 degrees here today. Spring is coming. I changed my picture to one of my younest granddaughter and myself. She lives in Iowa and loves to cuddle.

Barbie--Thanks so much for keeping us going and starting the new month.

Cheri--I pray the job works out for DH.

I picked up my new glasses last evening and going to take some getting used to. They are smaller so the lines are more noticable.

Betty--Sending hugs and prayers.

Jeannie--Congrates on the cheat day NSV.

Lenora--It drives me crazy when people do not pull over and stop for a funeral line. I believe it is the last thing you can do for that person and is a sign of respect. I find young people are the worst.

Karen--pray DD is feeling better and eating soon.

Kathyszoo--Welcome back and congrates on the new grandson. Sounds like lots of cuddles coming your way.

Anne--Sorry things are not going well. Pray it will get better and remember One day at a time.

Michelle--Great NSV eating the apple and not the ice cream.

Joyce--Happy Birthday a day early.

Heather--WOW!! the dress and you look fantastic.

Janetr--glad the eye doctor was good news.

Mary--Thanks for the info on different pushups. I am doing sets of 10 everytime I go to the bathroom.

Well time to sign off. Welcome to all the new ladies, this is a great place for friendship and support. These ladies are family.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,069 Member
    Options
    Vickie Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • maryann1064
    maryann1064 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new here just started today. I'm 51 and after having to have a hysterectomy two years ago and being forced into menopause, I broke my leg in four different places and was non weight bearing for over 5 months in which time I put on about 50 lbs. I'm still unable to put much weight on my leg and the only exercise i'm really getting is my stationary bike which I have started trying to do for at least an hour a day (20 mins x3 times a day). I joined this group today hoping to get some inspiration, since family just thinks i'm trying to over do it to fast. I've completely stopped drinking soda's and now drink nothing but water and I watch everything I eat. I want to drop this 50 pounds that I have put on. If anyone has some idea's for exercises that doesn't include the use of legs it would be great to hear them... Thanks everyone!!!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    KJLaMore- LOLLOL! I love the story! I guess that is in example of survival of the fittest! I know on Monday you had mentioned a step challenge. Because of my puppy being sick I have not been out too much and the weather has been freezing here. I was able to get in a mile and a half on Monday, only a mile yesterday but today I am going to strive for 3 miles.

Vicki- using a potty break as a timeclock for your push-ups is awesome! For me I would be doing them all night long because I drink a lot of water and that is when it affects me! I hope you are enjoying your birthday!

10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Goblet Squats-3X7X 30
    Russian kettlebell Swings-25X 10 X 30
    Total- 750

I have decided that on StrongLifts days I will do 250 kettle bell swings. I also used the 30 pound kettle bell.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new here just started today. If anyone has some idea's for exercises that doesn't include the use of legs it would be great to hear them... Thanks everyone!!!

Welcome to this group! You have come to the right place for motivation, inspiration, and support! Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. I would get a set of dumbbells and do upper body exercises while seated or lying down. Are you still going to a PT? Google chest, back, abs, and shoulder exercises. I would do all of the ones that you can do seated or lying down. I would assume you're probably doing lying down leg lifts as part of your PT.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Mary Ann - welcome. I'm sure your bike is great, as long as you are not hurting. I had a really awful knee, which I've been strengthening over the years. There are exercises that wheelchair users can do, so you can Google that as well.

Vicki - is that you in the photo? <3 Someone young.

Cheri - Forgot to say, many congratulations on the great grand child. How brave of your niece! We wonder if DH 's niece will go down that path, but it takes a lot of courage and $$$$$$ and a good support system. We told DH 's daughter we would support her if she wanted to go that way, but sadly she chose not to. DH, who has two daughters and is the best step grandad in the world, has no grandchildren of his own. :'( Too late now. He considers himself blessed to have mine. <3

Love Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star:
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Aaaargh! Something ate my post. I give up for today. Cross-eyed from tio much work on top small a screen.
    /Penny, poleaxed
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota – I was planning on hula hooping today; but, my back hurts too much; will plan to start tomorrow for sure. I’m hoping it will help my ‘core’ and my belly which still has a little pouch to it although I am nearing my goal weight. I need to get my BMI down by 2 points to be considered ‘normal’ in size for my height and age. For a while I had 2 MDs telling me what I should weigh; now, they are more in common with the higher version. GYN wanted me to weight 125lbs and I have not weighed that since my wedding day. I’d just laugh when he told me that. I think I would look ‘gaunt’ if I lost that much. I’m thinking between 140 – 150lbs depending on where my BMI gets to and when.
    Are you talking about pumpkin like comes in a can and ‘cooked’ rice? What’s this for; an upset tummy? Cracker gets food in her dish twice a day; but, it takes her all day to eat her morning food; and, at night she’ll usually eat the cup we put in her dish before going to her crate for the night. It’s the same one we’ve had her on, since we changed after I got her first ‘free’ at PetSmart because she was an adopted puppy.

KLJ – Bees in the ground; probably yellow jackets and they WILL chase you in a swarm. You’re lucky y’all did not get more stings. When I went to GS camp; one of the girls stepped on the hole to the hive; and, they came after her. Her sister was ripping off her clothes and she was headed for the showers. She was allergic to them; so she ended up being taken to Macon to the hospital. I remember when a limb fell on a car in front of me and there were bees in the tree; and, they were disturbed; but, were ‘honey bees’ so most of them stayed with the ‘comb’; but, enough came with the tree that one of the guys trying to help this woman came screaming like a girl … “bees … run!” I had on a very pink shirt; so I stood in my place and did not move. Had some land on me; but, they flew away pretty quickly. None stung me. The Lord was with that woman that day – all she had were some cuts and bruises. One of the limbs fell in the road right in front of me. Such a scary sight. Half of the tree fell on her and it pulled down limbs; had police, fire, Sheriff, tow truck, ambulance, and were waiting for the power company to get there to turn off the electricity so they could get her out. I kept telling her that help was on the way and not to move or touch anything that was metal. She kept crying 'Oh Lord, somebody help me'! If there had not been traffic coming from the other direction, it could have been me.

Vicki – I agree with you … but, young people are always in such a hurry they don’t think it is the ‘law’ that they should pull over (at least until the hearse and family car(s) go by). But, you’ll be surprised at how many won’t pull over. They also don't obey school bus stop signs either.

DH has a set of weights; but, I could only use one at a time, holding it with both hands. I’m looking for a set that has 3 different weights in a package. I think that Target has them. DH just came home after working all day … he is in pain so he is planning on taking one of the pain pills given to him yesterday. They said he could return to work today … so when he got up, that’s where he went. He’s got to have a sponge bath until he goes back on the 7th. That is NOT making him a very happy camper.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    I was all ready to do the Sweatin to the Oldies DVD, but when I put it in my laptop I kept getting a message that it was for the wrong zone. Don't know why since it played fine at home. I wonder how it'll be on my new DVD player? Well, I came back up to the condo and got the Walk at Home DVD that I know works. Not sure if I can get any exercise in tomorrow. If so, I'll do an extremecardio DVD at the clubhouse.

Vacuumed the condo, then picked up the trailer, loaded some of the things into it. So sad. Washed the floor. Now on my laptop for the first time today. Will probably get off early so that we can pack away the jet pack which gives me internet access.

Kim - wow! That's a lot of steps

Joyce - happy early birthday. Good for you going to the hosp!!!

Heather - love the pic. I don't look good in horizontal stripes, but you look great! You look so wonderful and happy.

Welcome everyone new

Well, I think I'm going to try a goal for the Month of March. Yes, I know I'm a day late. But yesterday after dinner I had calories left over so I had a brownie and 1/2 a cookie. My goal is not to have any sweets (cake/cookies/brownies) after dinner. We shall see how that goes

My trigger finger is acting up again. Last time I got two shots of cortisone. It's not really bad, so I think for right now I'll just live with it.

pip - I was usually at about 100 rpm. I couldn't understand how someone at a high gear can go 100 rpm. I mainly did my own thing. I find music to be a motivator, but loud music to me is a demotivator. I do find that my heartrate goes up if I'm standing, which makes perfect sense since the body is working harder to pump the blood to the heart. I usually never wear my compression stockings during a workout, mainly because my legs would sweat and then it'd be uncomfortable. When we had our detached garage built, you wouldn't believe how fast it went up. Well, our contractor said that that usually doesn't happen, but the economy at the time was in a downturn and people were out of work, so they could come asap.

katla - you can do Reiki on yourself? I gotta check into that when I get home. I like foods that are whole foods, when something is low in calories I look to see if it has an artificial sweetener in it (which I avoid) or is it just a smaller portion (which I would have no problem with, and in fact would welcome). If I have Ben & Jerry's I only get those small containers. Otherwise I know I'd overeat. Are there any daily pills for the osteoporosis? I've had the weekly ones and now I use the Prolia which is an injection. I tried the Reclast which is an influsion. The advantage to those is that the medication gets right into your system, it doesn't have to go thru your digestive tract first.

DJ - are you able to change the notifications of what is shown on your homepage? There are certain things that I'm really not interested in but would love to be able to see people's diaries. I can only see them when I'm on my tablet, not on my laptop. Don't ask me to explain that.

Suzy - where in DE are you?

janetr - so glad no progression.

maryann - welcome! I'm sure if you were to google "exercises not involving legs", I bet you'll get lots of uTube hits.

Well, Vince wants to pack away the jetpack so I need to sign off. Best to everyone.

Michele from NC going back tomorrow (boo)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Did my usual bedtime routine last night, same medicines but just never got to the sleep part. Finally got to a restless sleep around 7:30 AM. I know i shouldn't have but i needed major caffeine so ate the rest of the box of decadent chocolate fudge moose tracks ice cream. I am not a coffee drinker so none in the house. All my different teas are caffeine free so the only caffeine in the house was the chocolate. And sadly I have to say it has done diddly squat for me. It used to be when I would have a night like last night that at 7 PM my body would decide to wake up. That's the time choir practice is so I hope I am awake. DH is happy that one of the internet birthday things I get is a free appitizer from Texas Raodhouse. They have several I can choose from and one of them is 4 ribs and a side. So that is what I am going to do. I'll add a baked potato to it and take part of the potato home or give it to Charlie.

Penny I forgot to tell you that your story of Amazing Grace within the sermon and in the cave sounded so divine. I love caves and if I were much smaller would love to go spelunking. Or at least I think I would.

heather, you look so hip in that dress. You are really rocking it. And I love the tights with it.

Tired Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY Joyce and Vicki! ! :flowerforyou: :love: <3

Heather UK
    928584azg37ws6rj.jpg
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Thanks gals on my steps yesterday – but it was a “one off” my goal is 11,000 and I am often in the 14-16,000 but breaking 20K is very unusual.

Joyce – I think it is good idea to say you are staying home to eat, you could make a steak, salad and a baked potato…

KJL – you rest your eyes with the toddlers! Maybe they can rest their eyes too.

Heather – you look adorable! I have earrings like that, I love them!

Robin, Tammy, Wendy – welcome

Donna – feet problems are so hard – hang in there… I did acupuncture with great success for a foot problem a few years ago.

Cheri – way to go! Sleep is so important

Carol – do you think you should check your credit report to verify that no one has stolen your identity?

Betty – I have unfriended anyone I don’t know and then blocked the posts of anyone that drives me batty – too negative, too political, too religious, too many food pictures, too much re-posting- the cool think about blocking is they don’t know you did it… So I am down to about 10 folks whose posts I see, and they are random posters with fun stuff…

DJ – Mary didn’t do the 22K of walking I did, she is still not a slacker!

VICKI – Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Lenora- congrats on being so close to your goal weight! Yes it was canned pumpkin and cooked rice with a little extra water. The pumpkin is supposed to settle his stomach which it did really nicely. The rice is like when we eat crackers when we are sick. Very gentle on his stomach and he had no issue with that. He is doing fine now.

Joyce- I had that ice cream last night with a banana for my treat. Yesterday was my free day. I love that and Kemps Bearcreek caramel.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    DJ – Mary didn’t do the 22K of walking I did, she is still not a slacker.
    Kim from N. California

I only wish that I could! Again great job Kim!

<3

Mary from Minnesota