WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Barbie. The graphics to start this month are especially catching.

Vicki: Happy Birthday. May it be as sweet and lovely as you are.

Miriam: Hoping your kitty heals fully and quickly.

Cheri: Congratulations!

Katla: Do you think that recipe would work with ground turkey? Sounds yummy!

I’m in the most stressful part of the year at work. I am in charge of a large national conference that will take place in Southern California next week. It’s shaping up nicely, but so much work and millions of details to attend to. Every year it feels like planning a wedding. Then, pffffft, it’s over in a flash.

Stay well, friends. We can do this. I’m getting up to walk around.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

February Goals:
    > Practice Reiki every day: done
    > Eat mindfully: 75%
    > Reach out to 3 friends: done
    > Get physical scheduled: done
    > Get tax workbook started: done

MARCH goals:
    __ Eat mindfully.
    __ Strength train 2x/week
    __ Beat February step total
    __ Take first step towards getting HI condo sold
    __ Weigh less at the end of the month

My word for 2016: Optimism
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 14.32min, 12.2amph, 147mhr, 2.9mi = 115c
    stairclimber- 30min, lvl9, 4.5flpmin, 138fl, 125ahr, 141mhr = 261c
    rope pull- 3.26min, 134mhr, topset, lvl7, 99ftpmin, 338ft = 48c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.39min, 12.7amph, 143mhr 1.4mi = 86c
    ride wk 2 hm- 58.50min, 10.2amph, 154mhr, windy!, 10mi = 486c
    total cal 996
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    17,000 steps
    160 minutes of dog walking
    47 minutes riding the exercise bike

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif where it rained and stormed mixed in with the sun

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Cheri - terrific job on the SWSY program. That's what I'm doing too and have really enjoyed it. I had started another one before I received the book so I added a few others to the SWSY routine including crunches, squats and lunges and I am really enjoying it.

Congrats on the new baby in the family. It is always such a blessing and they are so much fun. I hope you do see them all soon.

We go this :)

Janetr OKC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Michele NC, wish we had a video of you after bowling a strike. girl-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif

Firststep, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. Good luck on your journey.

Katla, glad your son and DDIL are happy about the new assignment. I know you will miss them.

Joyce, why in the world does your BIL not want anyone at the hospital when your sister is having surgery? I just don’t get that!

Penny, I think you are wise to listen to your body when planning your exercise. Missing a day here and there on purpose is better than paying the price and missing due to injury or pain.

Sewicanquilt, welcome. I know movement/exercise is painful with arthritis and fibro but I also understand it helps, so we are with you. Your goal sounds like a winner to me. Most of us believe in baby steps when starting something new. Please tell us more about yourself and sign each post with the name you want to be called.

T, you are right about the fruit and calories. I have to say I miss eating as much as I once did but we do what we must. I just want to caution you about your goal of losing 3 pounds a week. It can certainly be done but don’t be disappointed if you don’t. I did some weeks when I first began and often lost only 2 pounds. Now I would be thrilled with one. Lol The main thing is to never give up.

Miriam, sorry about your kitty but I know she is in the best hands possible. Hope you got some rest.

Allie, if SIL is taking the summer off, why does she have to go that particular weekend?

KJ, great suggestions for the pork. Ya know, sometimes we just go blank or get stuck in a rut.

Drcrisos, welcome. The number one thing that helped me is planning. That includes snacks. I agree exercising after work takes some special energy that I never had. Please sign your posts with a name you want to be called and a location is great too. Come often and you can do this.

Margaret, wonderful goals for March and we are all here to support you in them. ((((Hugs))))

CarolGA, cut out some of the computer games but I hope you still visit us often.

Heather, so glad your new dress fit well. A size 8??? Holy Moly!!! You go girl. Good job on your goals.

Suzy, welcome. There are a number of us using some of Marie Kondo’s suggestions. Come often and join right in.

Cheri, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your hubby and the job.

Deborah, welcome, we are happy to have you join us. Congrats on the loss so far. I know what you mean about salads getting boring. I have to add protein to mine to make it a meal. That is normally chicken (often boiled) and sometimes even ground beef. When I go out, I always take my low cal salad dressing with me. I’m sure some of the working ladies here will give you lots of good ideas.

Mary, not only are you starting your new challenge with extra sets but going swimming for 45 minutes. I want some of what you eat!!!!!

Sylvia, soooo glad the flu bug didn’t decide to stay with you. Have a great month.

Donna, you are so right that 1 pound is better than none. Even more better than gaining! Keep it up and that loss will come.

Betty, your goal sounds good enough to me and I’m behind you all the way.

DeeBakk, welcome to you as well.

Barbie, I hope you enjoy your trip and I have every confidence that you will complete your challenge.

Jeannie, I know what you mean about belonging to the “clean plate club”. That is a hard habit to break. What I have found helps is don’t load the plate at home and when I go out, get a “to go box” at the beginning so I can put half the meal in it. Good Luck.

Kay, a huge congrats on being less of you. Keep up the great work.

Kathy, congrats on the new grandson!

Heather, can you tell me how this SWISH/swap thing works??? It sounds like something interesting we may want to do at one of my meetings. A size 6 is getting tiny! I’m so proud of you!!!!

Cheri, congrats on the new addition to your family. I had a 9lb 2oz breach baby and they didn’t do a C section on me. We often wondered if that’s why I just had the one. Lol

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I talked to my friend this morning who was pissing and moaning about “what can happen to me next?” All that happened is they switched her to another team at work and her garage door opener broke. It was fixed this morning by 10 am. I let her have it and asked her just what had happened to her. I told her that my Phat Chat Friends have worse things all the time. (She knows what an important part of my life you ladies have become.) That she is more blessed than just about anyone I know. If a broken garage door opener is the worst thing in her life, I’d say she is in da#$ good shape. Let us all remember the blessing we have while we deal with our trials and tribulations. Some of you have some terrible things going on in your lives and my heart goes out to you. Many of us only have to worry about not putting too much food in our mouths. I had a great day at line dancing today and got a ton of wonderful exercise. With so many posts, I had to skim the last page and a half so know I am thinking of all of you and wish you all a wonderful month.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • JuliaMargaretA
    JuliaMargaretA Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, would love to be a part of a support group! I am 58 and have lost 14 pounds in the past month or so and have another 60 to go.
    Julia from Ottawa, Canada :)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Have you considered professional counseling? I think it could be a real help, and at least a safe place to "unload". Big (((hugs))).

Janetr okc

I did when I got divorced. I went to make sure I was not doing anything self destructive. My friends say I am doing better than I was with my divorce. I knew it would be rough today with very little sleep last night. Think one of the hardest parts is we have to deal with each other at work so the no contact thing is not really available for me like it was in my divorce.

Anne from Wisconsin [/quote]

Oh Anne, that is hard. I didn't realized you worked together. Know that we are all here and that we are willing to listen and encourage as much as you need and for as long as you need. Matters of the heart are so hard to deal with as there is no accounting for when or why the stabs of pain flood over you. I wish I a magic wand to wave to make it all better. Praying for you. Hang in there.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    DJ - Thanks for the reminder to be thankful for the blessings we have. It reminded me of Barbie writing her grateful list each morning. I've been meaning to start that, and with your post reminding me, I'm going to do just that. I'm always up before Jack and just drinking coffee and watching the news. That will give me plenty of time to reflect on and record my blessings, which are many.

I love this group, you all just keep challenging and movtivating me every day. Now THAT is a blessing :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone, would love to be a part of a support group! I am 58 and have lost 14 pounds in the past month or so and have another 60 to go.
    Julia from Ottawa, Canada :)

Welcome, Julia and we would love to have you be a part of our terrific group of supportive and motivating ladies. Join right in and tell us a little about yourself. Sounds like you are doing a terrific job on your way to a healthy lifestyle choice.

Janetr OKC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Took an hour spinning class here. Actually, she had the music so loud that I couldn't hear her. I guess that's OK for people who are used to what she says, but it took me 1/2 the class to figure out that when she said 15 or 16 or 17 she meant gear. I have no idea what rpm I was supposed to be at. I did find that I sweat, but my heartrate didn't get all that high. I'm probably better off doing my own thing. I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll do Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies DVD at the clubhouse.

Ellen - your son could very well be right. Muscle does weigh more than fat. How often do you weigh yourself? Consider only once a week or once every other week or even once a month (that might be a long time to go unless you are really disciplined)

janetr - you know, I was wondering if I might have injured that foot and not even realized it! That was the foot where I had the plantar faciatis problem. Perhaps it isn't as healed as I thought?

katla - I'm going to try wearing the compression stocking more consistently. It might also give addn'l support if there is any injury (as janetr has suggested). How would I know if I had better circulation in one leg than the other?

Pole penny - good luck on that half marathon. I know you'll do fantastic!

sewicanquilt - welcome to a great supportive group. Come in often and you'll get lots of great ideas. Just walking is great at first, and before you know it, you'll be wanting more

gia you're more than welcome to join in! You're so right, there aren't very many places for 40 and 50's. Some of us are over 50, too. I think with that comes a certain wisdom and it's harder (but not impossible) to lose the weight. Some of us are here to lose, some are on maintenance. Welcome to a great group.

miriam - oooo, that thyme is so pretty. Plus, it had a strong odor which will keep the deer away. I know one thing that Vince worries about is that a deer will jump the fence to the pool and drown. Personally, I don't think that'll happen...but you never know. Doesn't hurt to be safe.

Alison - good for you getting back to the gym.

drcriscos - welcome! Try having something good for you (maybe a piece of fruit?) right before you leave work. then maybe by the time you get home you won't be starving until you can make a good dinner. Maybe a bag of that 100 calorie popcorn (do you have a micro at work) will make you want to drink and therefore be more full. I know it always does for me.

Yea me! Vince wanted to go to Brusters for ice cream (it's 80 here). I remembered that they really didn't have anything good, even the kids cup was pretty large. I admit, I was tempted by that kids cup. But instead I had the apple that I brought with me. that's one less thing that we need to take home, at least that's the way I'm looking at it. Of course, when we got home I did have a piece of the fudge that I brought down here. But in the end, it was lower in calories than having that ice cream.

Went to Winn Dixie to get a paper and grapefruit. They have the really red grapefruit. Wonder if Publix grapefruit is red? I'm sure if I asked them, they'd cut one open for me. If it's really red, I would buy more to take home with me. Exercised then laid out by the pool. At least my legs are no longer ghost white. Then we went back to the ceramics place to get the dolphin and starfish that they poured for me. They did show me angel fish that they have a mold for, so should I decide to get it I can have them ship them to me or else I can get them the next time I come down.

I never did find quilting to be relaxing. I know a lot of people find it relaxing, but to me it's just work. Right now I'm x-stitching this baby blanket. It'll probably be for Jess. I know that she isn't even engaged right now, but I'm thinking that if anyone will appreciate the work that will go into it, it's her. There are A LOT of colors. When we get home I have these cat banners that I want to work on. I'm planning to give one to each of the kids and have one for us. I don't know if Bryan will appreciate it, and I have no idea about Diana. Maybe things will change.

katla - I've heard that only 20% of losing weight has to do with exercise, 80% is the food you consume. Makes sense to me.

Cheri - I hope your hubby gets the job at VCU

deborah - you go girl!!! Can you take food with you to the hosp? Weird as this may sound, look at getting some of the baby food. Not the meats in a jar -- they just don't taste right. But some of the meals for older children aren't half bad. I get the veggies to take with me when I go away mainly because they don't need any refrigeration.

Vicki - happy birthday to your hubby and early to you!!!!

Dee - welcome. You've come to a great place for suggestions.

Jeannie - I'm a member in good standing of the "clean plate club". I find it so hard to stop eating when I'm full and not when the plate is empty. What's nice is that if you order veggies in a restaurant, you only get a tiny amount. But french fries or rice -- your plate is overflowing. So in place of the ff/rice/whatever I usually ask for more veggies and usually don't get a whole lot. Good for you leaving those fries!

Lenora - that's interesting that it's law in GA about the funeral. I can tell you, it isn't law in PA. They do have their lights on, tho. I fully understand not cutting into the funeral procession, I have never done that but I have seen people who have. So you really don't have to wait until the ENTIRE funeral procession goes by, right? I thought you did. Your poor dh

NCCarol - what are some of the lower calorie options at OG? If I was driving, I could stop more frequently on the drive home from FL. However, Vince isn't someone who likes to stop much. I usually have to have him stop so I can go to the bathroom. For some reason, driving in the car I get really thirsty so I'm constantly drinking water. He's had problems with constipation when driving and has decided it's due to the fact that he doesn't drink enough.

Trying to finish up as much of the food as I can. I think I have it figured out where I'll donate some milk to the clubhouse and salad dressing.

kathyszoo - big welcome back! Congrats on being a grandma.

Vicki - great NSV!!!

kismesi - welcome to a great group. Come in often and tell us more about yourself.

DJ - sorry, I don't have a video of me after a strike. But I can tell you that I was given the title of "a chiropractor's dream".....lol That graphic sort-of shows it

Hi Julia!

Michele from NC who is getting packed tomorrow to return to NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    B)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Anne - … and that is why a lot of places of employment don’t look highly on interoffice relationships. Too difficult to be like you were before the relationship when you decide to go your separate ways. Hard to overlook things when you see one another every day; might get worse if one or the other of you get involved in any other relationship at all. Can be self-destructing. Hope this won’t be true for you (or for him). I dated a boss before; then realized that so long as his children were little; he’d never get a divorce. Felt used, and I was. I decided to move on when my DH came into the picture. I was able to move on and he seemed happy for me. I worked for a little while until we became engaged – then I did not because of planning wedding; and, we got transferred right after we married and I changed jobs until I became pregnant. Did not go back to work until my youngest one was in kindergarten. About 8 years of being a housewife (loved it). Worked for same man for 20+ years when I did go back to work. Close relationship, as sometimes we worked through the weekend to get ready to take a case to trial. DH is still my best friend and soul mate.

Rori – Sounds like when we would work day and night, over the weekend to get a case ready to go to trial and making sure we had everything including dismissals with and without prejudice. Everything had to be copied for as many attorneys as involved in case and put in a certain order. Exhibits marked and 'in order'; ended up being a PLS (Professional Legal Secretary) and had to pass a 2-day test (much like the bar exam). I’d sometimes come home too tired to even cry; but, a good cry would have made me feel better.

My middle sister carried her 2nd baby transverse (sideways). They probably should have done a C-section; instead. two nurses knelt on the bed she was lying on and pushed and shoved trying to make the baby turn. She was totally worn out. He has had a lot of disabilities that he has had to work through. He has dysgraphia, not dyslexia. It has something to do with putting his thoughts down on paper. He'd know his spelling words backwards and forwards; but, given a test could not remember them. Strange thing is ... when they put him into a Performing Arts HS; he would memorize everybody's lines in a play and could stand in for anybody at the drop of a hat. He's back in college full-time - working towards a degree. Had to learn to walk again after he fell out of the 2nd story apartment. Strange story; but, have to just take sister's word as to what actually happened. He could have been killed; surprised that he wasn't.

Well, it's 11:35pm; need to get Cracker in and into her crate and go to sleep. Today has been a long day. If DH stays home tomorrow (which he should) might be an even longer day. LOL! :#

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :) just checking in before bed, did 22,872 steps today... I think I know why I am tired.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    pip - i was admiring how green and lush your lawn is in the pictures! i can't imagine how it could look any bettermowing-the-lawn-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    :) just checking in before bed, did 22,872 steps today... I think I know why I am tired.

Amazing! I would love to be able to do that some day!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »

Wowee, that's great Kim. Way to go.

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Can't believe it is March already. The 3rd is my 66th birthday! I used to think my husband and I looked pretty much the same age. He is 2 years older. But I was noticing today at the grocery store that he looks about 80 years old now. Yes, that's a wee it of an exageration but it is more like 75. Of course he shaves about once a week now on Wednesdays when he does his Karaoke thing. That's about the only day of the week that he is happy also. Tonight we were watching a commercial for a local rehab place. He has always thought the very menial tasks that stroke patients have to do are so childish for an adult to have to do. So as I was watching it I told him that I will always be grateful that we didn't have to face that after his meningitis last year. He is still amazed that he came out of it the way he did. But it doesn't make him happy at all. I keep trying to build him up that he was saved for some reason and he needs to just do what he can to get healthy and stay there. But he says there is no reason for him to be anything but mad. His ulcerative colitis completely changed our world. i have asked him to try too give up his extreme chocolate milk and tomato juice for 2 weeks and see what it does to him but no he won't. He says he has to enjoy something in life. But he doesn't enjoy the rushing to get to the bathroom in time, wearing diapers, has now added an extra set of underwear in his bag with 2 diapers instead of just one. The hole in his bathroom wall keeps getting bigger and bigger from him hitting it as he is angry. I guess we could build a bigger deck off the bathroom instead of the kitchen! And he does not want anything for depression at all. He says he isn't depressed, he is mad. Mad at his body, mad at politics, world, cops, establishment, people in charge.

Some one was talking about not being able to quilt. My Mom's Mom used to quilt all the time. I think back in those days every woman knew how. You had to. But sometimes she would actually quilt and others she would tie. The kids always loved it when she would tie her quilts. For the backing they would just use an old blanket that had finally worn out and would sew it onto the quilt top. So when Mom and her siblings would come home from school their Mom would have this quilt laid out on the living room floor and needles and thread for all the quilts and they would tie it. I know a couple of quilts I have made that are my favorite are just tied and not stitched. I was able to have a pattern in where I put my ties but Mom and siblings would tie at random. Those were fun days in an otherwise very limited world of fun things to go out and do.

Ahhhh, the foley catheter. I guess that rates pretty high up there as to one of my least favorite things to do as an RN, especially on a man. Not easy on him either, very difficult to get in especially if he is older with prostate problems. And older women weren't easy either. At our age all those areas down there get a little withered and it's kind of hard to see real well which hole is the right one.

Who is the new lady who is an RN looking for ideas on meals for her 12 hour shifts? Left overs, single serving of fruits, veggies, soups. Putting your bread in one bag and all your sandwich fixins in another and making a nice healthy sandwich. I found these Bumble Bee snack packs. Really delish tuna, ham or chicken salads with a package of Ritz type crackers, even comes with a little spoon. I love the individual bags of baby carrots, snack pack and an apple. When I am done I can even put it and a paper plate inside the box the snack pack comes in! It's been a little over 15 years since I worked but you have to be able to put together that meal real quick, eat quick and clean up. Luckily with my MS I had a doctor's order that I could not work the 12 hour shifts. It was surprising how many nurses at my hospital had MS. One of the units had 5 of them. I think it was the ortho/neuro unit. They thought it was selfish of me to use that doctor's order not to work the 12 hours. In a hospital these days and I imagine most work places if you don't take care of yourself the no one will.

Besides my birthday this month, the month had been empty of all appointments. But then I have my echocardiogram scheduled for the 8th, my husbands carpal tunnel surgery the 15th and today found out my daughter has an ablation of nerves around a bone spur on her spine on the 18th I have to take her to and my sister has her surgery for the staging for malignant melanoma on the 24th.

Regarding my BIL who doesn't want anyone there when my sister has surgery. Now this is his thoughts, not mine or the family. She has had tons of surgeries on her feet, knees, breast implants, repairs of implants, putting nipples on. You name it she has had it. So they are there a lot. He takes his work with him plus a book of crosswords and he doesn't want to be bothered by people there that he feels obligated to talk to. I have told him I don't even have to sit in the same area of the waiting room but he cannot say my Mom and I could not be there. So we would do just that and he agreed that when the doctor came out that we could be there to hear what doctor says. And we also need to stay and see her when she wakes up. But she is my sister and I can eb there if I want to be.

Husband is getting tired of eating at home. And he does have a valid arguement that there is nothing wrong with a good lean steak, salad and baked potato. So he said he wants to start eating out 4 times a week and eat at home 3 times. All lunches are on our own at home. I told him to go for it but I am cooking at home. Really as worn out as he looks I don't see him doing that on his own.

love you all, think of you all the time. DH knows when I am pecking away on my computer that I am 'talking' to you girls. Joyce, Indiana
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Wow! three pages since I posted yesterday! We are a talkative group! Woke up at 3am, not able to sleep any longer due to coughing. Not coughing so much now that I am up and moving, but I am going to run out of steam early. I see it coming. Let's see if I can get my thoughts together enough to respond to some of you!

Pip- Holy farts! You are very amusing and I am glad you have taken the task of keeping us amused, seriously! Your house is going to look wonderful when you are done with all of the updates!

Mary
    - SWIMMING! Yes! So good for stretching out your muscles!

Lenora-Look up a Kondo folding video on Youtube! There are a few of them out there! Visual aids at your fingertips!

sewicanquilt- Japan! That is awesome! You obviously have wonderful memories of your time there and of the people and culture. Does your son remember much of his time/friendships?

Ugh! Need more tea and some meds...Wondering what the odds are of napping with the kids today?? Maybe if I hold a sleeping baby during nap/rest time I could close my eyes just for a few minutes...I always here the toddlers whispering "Miss Kel is asleep!" Of course I have to tell them that I am not sleeping, I am just resting my eyes. Okay. That's the plan for today...resting my eyes...