Options
    Where is Miriam with Cats?
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Hi Gang!

I’ve been MIA for a while now.

Part of the reason I’ve been missing is that I got hit hard by SAD this year. At one point Miriam suggested that I try light therapy. I now own a full spectrum light but started using it too late in the cycle for it to do much. I will need to start using it next year as soon as the SAD symptoms start up. The good news is that while we don’t have much green yet here in MI I do have snowdrops and crocuses (croci?) so knowing Spring is indeed here (plus the added light we are getting) has put me into a much better frame of mind. I’m starting to break out of hibernation mode.

Another part of the reason I’ve been MIA is that I joined Mary (Fancy) in the Biggest Loser Challenge and discovered that I do not have the time/energy to try to keep up with 2 active MFP groups. That challenge is over and I maintained during it. No weight lost.

Here’s a little bit about my weight loss journey for new comers. I had gastric bypass surgery in February of 2014. I had been resisting the idea of surgery for many years but finally reached the point where I was told it was my only viable option. It was the best decision I could have made for myself. The pre-surgery tests gave me some answers to family health problems and started me on a path towards better heart health. During surgery they discovered and removed a small (very small) tumor which turned out to be a slow growing cancer. That removal was all the treatment I needed. 3 days post-surgery I was no longer diabetic. 6 months after surgery I no longer needed BP medication. Those are just the major health benefits I have experienced. I lost 140 lbs. post-surgery (150lbs. from my highest weight) and went from size 36 pants to size 18. I have more energy, move more freely, can walk longer, go up stairs, wear a seatbelt on a plane, and so much more. Losing weight is worth the effort.

So why am I here? My weight loss stalled this past year. I felt I could lose more.

Feb. 29 I went to see my surgeon for my 2 year checkup. I only lost 10 lbs. between my 1 year and 2 year checkup. He was delighted with my progress. Me, not so happy. We had a nice long talk. He stated bluntly that he does not feel as if I should be striving to reach “Normal” according to BMI. Matter of fact, he told me he doesn’t want me to go that low! That’s a tough concept for me to sit with and I’m still not 100% resigned to it. I pointed out the areas of my body that could stand to lose more fat and he told me that much of what I am unhappy with is loose skin and not fat. He suggested it was time to look at additional surgery to deal with those areas. A week later I met with a plastic surgeon. Then I went to talk to my internist. She agreed that surgery was a good option for me at this point in my weight loss journey (and this is a woman who tries everything else before sending her patients to a surgeon). So… I have a tentative surgery date set for May 12!!!!!

Even though my current goal is to maintain and not to lose additional weight may I come back and hang around here for a while?

Mia in MI

Mia, I was so excited to see your post. As you know I too had bariatric surgery two years ago. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Of course, you may hang out. There are many, many who are just here to maintain for the rest of our lives. That's what it's all about, getting there and STAYING there. I'm so thrilled for you if you want the surgery in May. You will have to keep us informed as to the progress/results post surgery. BTW, my doctor also said that at 66 I should not be concerned about the BMI number and that he thinks I've reached my optimal weight.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Where is Miriam with Cats?

My exact thots, was about to ask myself. She has not been on since she told us she had made it home from her trip here to Oklahoma. I hope all is okay with her and her family.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Beautiful pics of you and family Peach and also Lora's granddaughters. Thanks for sharing.

Pip, was the ride windy today :)

Janetr OKC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am here. Been reading but not posting. The trip wiped me out. Started feeling better over the weekend but then was busy.

Mia, my DIL had the surgery to remove the stretched out skin around her middle. It was quite extensive but she looks great now. She was basically cut from the middle of each buttock around the front, then up and down along the midline and 17 pounds of loose skin was removed. To she has a cross shaped scar. She also had a breast reduction since her shoulders are actually quite narrow. She really looks great.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kj lol, i could hear the movie trailer guy's voice narrating your day. You know time slows down waiting for vakay and speeds up during vakay...you've earned a break from the rugrats!

mia nice to have a catch up, good luck with the skin removal surgery, sounds like good way to go.

Had a nice day back to work, lots to catch up on and the energy to get it done!

Karen from ny
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness no wind to complain about
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Selena: WELCOME BACK!!! :heart: :star::flowerforyou: It is good to see you. In my opinion all the faiths are welcome here except rude & hate. :noway:

lcottomsvcs: Sorry about the sad & stressful issues in your life. I hope each day is better than the previous one. The girls are lovely. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'm so sorry your friend was not feeling sociable. :cry:

Meg: Good luck with your neurosurgeon visit. I hope you're able to make a plan that will help you feel good again. :heart:

Mia: Welcome back! I've been maintaining for a long time and everyone has continued to welcome me. I'm sure you will be welcome, too. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: When there are tough choices, we always choose health first. You're more important than landscape & such. (((hugs)))

Pip: The new bike looks great. Keeping it by your desk area is smart. :flowerforyou:

We've made an appointment for work on our sailboat at an area boatyard next week. If we are lucky, we'll have decent weather to take it up river. The items we're having done are routine maintenance but the boat will have to come out of the water, which is pricey all by itself. I am so thrilled that DH is showing interest and enthusiasm for the sailboat. I've been readying myself for the unwelcome idea of selling it. This will be a test season. If we use and enjoy it we'll be keeping it indefinitely. If it sits in the slip, it is time to put it on the market. Either way it needs to be in good shape.

We took the dinghy in for work earlier in the week and one of the employees was telling us it was garbage and we need to replace it. We got a call today. The repair is done, and the boat is in fine order. Yay! If you're an RVer you can picture this as the rig you travel & live in, and the car you tow behind. The dinghy is the "car" being towed behind.

Adding this news to the fact that my riding teacher told me I'm not a beginner anymore, & I am feeling GOOD. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    <pout> I didn't get to swim today because work </pout>

Larisa
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,718 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ it would be cheaper for you to fly out here to our dental office as our implant with abutment and crown is a total 2800.00
    just sayin..
    Mia~ your welcome anytime....
    I worked from 11 am until 5- was at the gym from 4-6 and I did my 10,000 steps on the treadmill, then the other 7,000 were at home and at work...
    am in bed with jammies on.. Faith is fed and had her pills, so I will crash and put my alarm on for 3:30 again..
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn – I’d drive the daylights out of it!!! I once took my Honda to the Honda dealership; and, when it was ready, told by service clerk, ‘it’s out there with the key in it’. I got in, drove it across town (empty) and filled it up at our regular place. Had to go inside to pay; and, when I can out I realized it was NOT my car. I could have driven home (next town – from dealership about 35 miles). I freaked out, just knowing they had probably noticed their car was not there. Called them and told them ‘to find my car’, I had driven off with one of theirs. Talked to DH and told him I’d be late, and why. DOS called and asked me if I did not notice the stickers on the rear window. They’re not visible from driver’s seat. Got to Honda place and all the salesmen, service people were standing in a circle around the Service Manager. Told me ‘that’s why we no longer leave the keys in the car’. Yeah, you did it this time. Offered to do a ‘free’ oil change and tire rotation; I told him that my car was empty, this car was empty, and I had filled it up. NO! I want my car filled up; so he had to send a note with the service guy so the filling station would actually fill it rather than just put a few gallons in a recently sold car. I still get teased about it.

Mary from Minnesota – My DDnL#2 is going to a Homeopathic Dr to try to do what needs to be done to try to get pregnant without taking all sort of medications; they are going to try this before spending money for intro fertilization route. She was hoping to be able to come here this Easter weekend with an ‘egg’ to crack open with either blue or pink in it. I’m sure that ‘if and when’ she gets pregnant she’ll come up with a cute idea on how to tell us about it. They came home this past weekend. It was such a surprised for us.

I made a cream cheese pecan pie on Sunday afternoon (oh, no it doesn’t have any calories in it, they were stolen); but, I did good; ate just about a 1/16th piece of it. Have no way of knowing now many calories that is: Too bad, it was Easter and all my children were home. Actually made 2 of them; we ate all but one piece of the first one; and, then divided the 2nd one 3 ways.

Barbie – HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

Joyce – Yeah we did a ‘good’ job with our boys who have turned out to be nice, grown gentlemen.

Heather - my sons have always been very considerate and thoughtful. They worry about us; maybe not as much as we worry about them. But, they were ‘raised right’.

Carol/Peach1948 – It was a surprised that I would have NEVER, in a million years, expected!

Katla49 and Rori – Thanks, it was the ‘best day ever’.

Michele – It was as close to ‘Heavenly’ as possible (I have not forgot your PM; just had company all weekend). Did not read anything. Barely had time to track; but, did so.

Betty – The weekend was ‘amazing’!

Barbiecat – I’ll try the ‘old recipe calculator’ then. Thanks.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »

Even though my current goal is to maintain and not to lose additional weight may I come back and hang around here for a while?

Mia in MI

:) I got down to my goal weight several years ago and have been welcome here....it takes daily attention to planning of food and exercise and attitude to maintain a weight loss....Keep coming back....I am not the only one on this thread who reached her goal weight and continues to participate regularly.

<3 Barbie in Washington

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options

Most of our generation of 50+were HOME SCHOOLED in many ways .

1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.

"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.

"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My father taught me about TIME TRAVEL.

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My father taught me LOGIC.

"Because I said so, that's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC .

"If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.

"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My father taught me IRONY.

"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.

"Shut your mouth and eat your supper."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.

"Just you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.

"You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.

"This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.

"If I told you once, I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate!"

13. My father taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.

"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out..."

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION .

"Stop acting like your father!"

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.

"There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.

"Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.

"You are going to get it from your father when you get home!"

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.

"If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to get stuck that way."

19. My mother taught me ESP.

"Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?"

20. My father taught me HUMOR.

"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.

"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.

"You're just like your father."

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.

"Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?"

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.

"When you get to be my age, you'll understand.

25. My father taught me about JUSTICE .

"One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!"

This should only be sent to the over 50 crowd because the younger ones would not believe we truly were told these "EXACT" words by our parents…
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison, I would love to fly up there and have your office do this. With air flight there it would still be cheaper. Oh, the things we could talk about! My husband isn't as bad as yours but pretty close. I just worry about 'the troll' taking care of me! One thing this ulcerative colitis has done is make him appreciate me more. I told Charlie that he hasn't given me any idea of what his opinion of what I should do. He said it has to be done. He doesn't think I should do the implant, I didn't want it anyway, but either of the others are fine. The office, and the oral surgeons, participate in 'Care credit' and if I pay this off in 12 months I can pay it with no interest.

Joyce
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    1st day w/new bike:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.53min, 12.8amph, 145mhr, 2.9mi = 125c
    SPIN- 43min, 83ar, 92aw, 10-12g, 133mhr, 14.4mi = 271c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.35min, 11.8amph, 138mhr 1.4mi = 78c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.34min, 9amph, 150mhr, 2.6mi = 170c
    total cal 644
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mia - welcome back! Missed you, and best of luck with the extra skin removal. May is just a few moments away! I was lucky genetically, didn't end up with tons of extra skin after the initial gastric bypass weight loss (mine was in 2005), but would like to have been able to have a panniculectomy. My "apron" was not as extensive as most, and it's an elective, so it's not in my future, I'm afraid. As far as post-op scars, I knew one GBS patient who, after her plastics, had a beautiful "belt" of flowers tattooed around her entire mid-section, right about belly-button level. Said it hurt very little because of the numbness in the surgical area. I thought it was an awesome way to deal with it.

Selena - I'm so sorry you were hurt... and glad you decided to return. The vast majority of us stay away from any comments on religion or politics, and it's always best. We are here because we are over 50, we are trying to be healthy by either losing, maintaining or gaining weight, and that is what we ALL have in common. It's worth staying for that sense of community, I think. I've made the same decision a couple of times, and for similar reasons. The best outweighs the rest.

I'm doing well on my March goals, lost a couple of pounds... decided in early March that I would eat back my exercise, other than a hundred calories, and that's been really successful for me. I'm trying only to lose one pound a month, and since a pound is 3500 calories, a 100-calorie deficit each day is very close to the loss of a single pound. Any more than one pound loss is terrific, but not required. There has been more than one day like today, where I've got nearly 15,000 steps in, and lots of exercise, where I can't get anywhere close to eating all of the exercise calories. Not suggesting it for anyone else, just saying it's working for me.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend, and has a great week!

Lisa in sunny West Texas (well, not this minute, it's dark, but you know what I mean!) :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did about 20 minutes of yoga, held plank for 2 min 50 sec, 1 hr extremepump. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Les Mills Training Cardio DVD. We shall see what that's all about.

fabatr - congrats on the weight loss! Glad you're back.Evidentally, my ideal weight is about 116 lbs. Not gonna happen in this lifetime. I'm happy in the high 120's. I feel good. OK, I might loo9k better at 116, but I'd feel horrible and it just isn't worth it. My daughter really likes zumba. I'm not crazy about it. I have two left feet, the instructor says "go left" I "go right". I get too easily confused. I like tea but mainly in the wintertime.

Heather - while we were away, we must havr had a really bad wind storm. It actually blew down a tree, root and all. Well...I wasn't sorry to see that tree go...it was dead anyway and I really wanted to get rid of it. When the guy comes to remove it, I am going to ask him how much it'll cost to get rid of the other trees that I want to get rid of. They are dead, or at least part of them is dead. Every time I cut the "grass", I have to pick up the branches that break off. What a pain!

Went to ceramics tonight. No mahjongg.

Lenora - sounds like you had a wonderful Easter. What thoughtful children you have!

Mia - welcome back! What an update, you sure have been busy. Good luck with the surgery

The guy came to give us an estimate to remove the tree that blew over. It'll only be around $175. I did speak to him about removing 3 other trees which look bad (are practically dead). He quoted a little over $400. Would love for Vince to go for this. He was talking about this kitty thing where you put it by an open window and the cat can go outside into a closed in area. I just mentioned to him that before we start thinking about something for the cat, why not consider the molding in my exercise room. It's only been 3 years since it's been down. He was talking about somehow getting the rainwater so it doesn't fall between the planks of the deck and make marks on the grass. Not to mention the grass. But he wants to think about something more for the cats? I'd like to see what is needed done first. Plus, I know we want to extend the drainpipes in the front.

Michele ion NC who is off to see DWTS
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone. I've missed a couple of days. Just really busy. The kids came over for dinner yesterday and I still havent gotten the mess cleaned up. This evening hubby and I went to a house in town and bought some shelving units I thought would be nice in the new co-op gallery. They turned out to be very nice, and really heavy! They were posted on facebook, so you never know what you're going to wind up with.

Tomorrow is the big cleaning day at my son's place. I'm going over there at 11:00 to let them in the building (I have a key to the security door) and get them started, but I'm not going to hang around the whole time they're working.

I didn't sleep much at all last night, so tonight I'm turning in early. Good night!

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    13,000 steps
    169 minutes of dog walking
    20 minutes riding the exercise bike
    15 minutes garden puttering
    2:12 plank

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
    Strong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 5X5 @ 45 lbs
    bench press 5X5 @ 40 lbs
    dumbbell row 5X5 @ 60 lbs

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness