WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Wow! The last 5 days just flew by and I see this morning I am over 400 posts behind. I will do the best I can to catch up. Pray you all had a very Blessed Easter. We had DD and family at our house Friday and Saturday. Sunday we all went to Kansas for family dinner there with DH's side and most our children. It was a fun day. Got mom moved into an apartment and now get the house ready to sell and clean it out. My DS has been out there doing the work. I do feel better that mom is out of that big house and when I talked to her last evening she sounded so much better. So in the next couple of weeks I need to find sometime and get out to Imperial and bring back the things mom wants us to have. Been a little stressed.

Yesterday my manager called me and wants to talk to me about taking the superviosr job for our dept. I have a lot of questions because the one they hired last year has made such a mess and someone needs to clean it up. So been doing a lot of thinking on that.

This weather is crazy. Last week we were getting snow and today we are in thunderstorm warnings. Gotta love Nebraska.

Mary--So sorry to hear you are so sick. Sending prayers and hugs. Take care of yourself.

Barbie--Happy B-lated birthday. Sounds like your dance class knows you well.

Lenora--What a great surprise!!

Rosie--Sending big HUGS and prayers.

Janetr--I like your plan of traveling around meeting us all and husband doing handy work.

Mary--Will miss you so much, I pray you get better sooner and come back. It is important to do what is best for you. Hugs.

Well up to top of page 80 and time to sign off. Have a good night ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC: No head banging. It is bad for your eyes & kills brain cells. Sending good thoughts your way. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I hope you have a great ride home. :smiley:

Yvonne in TX: Thanks for your good wishes for a good summer on the water. It will be a genuine joy if it comes to pass. :heart:

Leonora: Yoga has been a game changer for me. I also walk, ride bikes, and ride horses. What ever you choose, do your best to pick things that you enjoy so that the effort seems fun rather than unpleasant chores. I love the jokes. :flowerforyou:

Jools: Welcome! :bigsmile:

Meg: I'm sorry your neurosurgery appointment ws such a disappointment. If seems like a "hurry up and wait" sort of experience and that is so frustrating. (((HUGS)))

We picked up our old dinghy from the inflatable boat center and it is good for another season in the sun. Thursday we are taking the sailboat to the boatyard for needed work. Most of this is maintenance work for the portion of the boat that is always underwater. We may also have the bottom painted. We need to see what it looks like after it is out of the water. I'm not sure how long the boat will be there, but I'm guessing at least couple of days. After we get it back home, we'll see whether or not we use it and have fun. If we can enjoy it we will keep it. If not, we will put it on the market. I've said this before, and I have to keep saying it to keep myself focused on practicality. I do NOT want to give it up. We'll see. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening, Ladies,

Calefor, welcome to a great group of women who are wonderful at giving support and information. Please tell us a bit about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. Come often and stay even after you reach your goal.

CarolNC, what fun to have the babies in the nursery. Did you get the twins mixed up?? Not that it would matter, too much. Will be thinking about you with your doctor visits, both for eyes and the oncologist. I hate you get so anxious but can’t say I blame you. (((Hugs)))

Katla, your post was all positive news and that makes me really happy for you. Happy kids, hubby and horses…what more could you ask for? (((Hugs)))

MicheleNC, gosh it sounds like you have been busy lately and yet you get in that exercise every day like a champ!!! Way to go.

Helen, welcome. I have no idea what a stone is other than a little rock, but I support you in your journey. Next time you leave MFP, just don’t. smiley-laughing005.gif

Gloria, I’ve fallen way behind again too. Will read a while and post this then if I can’t get caught up tomorrow I may just skip some. (And I hate to do that)

Allie, I still say you are an angel to help Jean with her mom. Not just anyone would do that but you are so kind and giving.

Katla, I’m so proud of you for going to yoga even when you know it’s the instructor you like least. Way to go, my friend.

Debbies, welcome. Trust me, you talk about many of the same problems that we face. The only thing I have found that helps me is to get busy around 4:00. I try to schedule an easy project but something to keep me from thinking about food. Many of the ladies plan a snack and stick to it. Just hang in there.

Selena, so good to see you again!!! I’m really sorry to hear about your experience and hate that you let it keep you away. When I was relatively new I had someone say some unkind things to me but thank goodness rather than leave the group, I sent a message to the group leader and asked her opinion. Please stick with us and I hope you get your eating in control. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, sorry you are having internet problems. Yes, that’s sad that your friend won’t see you and let you support her in this hard time. It’s her loss. And you know you will do great this week!!!

CarolGA, great pictures and you look great!

Suzy, good for you on the challenge. It’s always nice to add some healthy aspects to our daily diets.

Melanie, welcome. If you don’t eat meat and going to lower your carbs what will you be eating? Where do you get your protein, from veggies? I know some have a lot. Good luck and take one step at a time.

Mia, I’ve been thinking about you lately. Congrats on scheduling the surgery. I want to hear all about it. And please do stay with us after you get to your goal. You know maintenance will be easier with us to talk toshy-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif.

Joyce, sorry for the options with the dentist. Good luck with it.

welcome.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m sorry to hear that some of you have had terrible weather. I trust you are all safe and sending best thoughts. The handyman did show up yesterday morning and I now have a beautiful new kitchen faucet that doesn’t leak. It’s one that the end of the faucet pulls out to become the sprayer…..cool. I got a soap dispenser for the spot where the old sprayer was. It’s funny that it makes the whole kitchen feel new. Plus I really cleaned out some cabinets while it was all going on. I also have a Rubbermaid pull out drawer in one of my cabinets that I had not screwed down the base to in the 8 + years that we have been in this house. I finally did that this morning because it’s the first time in years that my back was good enough and I didn’t have too much fat in the way to bend down. Amazing what you can do when you lose some weight!!! Line dancing was good today. I love the exercise I get there and it’s just fun and not work. I’ll try to catch up later tonight or tomorrow.
    Sending good thoughts for all of you and wishing you each a healthy and happy day. happy-spring-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Spent an hour at the gym. 10 minutes of cardio that is max doc says I can do. Rest weight training. Feels good to be back in gym.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Spent an hour at the gym. 10 minutes of cardio that is max doc says I can do. Rest weight training. Feels good to be back in gym.

Anne from Wisconsin

Good job, I'm glad you were released to return to the gym. Hang in there, you're making great progress.

Janetr okc
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Today's workout was upper body. Two dumbbell exercises (forgot names already but they were hard! Not regular Bicep curls for sure, they were working more shoulders and triceps, I think), two overhead press (pretty sure that's what they are called), one on Smith machine with hands shoulder width apart, one with regular bar with hands close together, cable pulls to waist, some kind of push pull with this huge bar one end of it on the floor, the other around chest height, tree hugs, 21s with a bar, and tricep pull down. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical to warm up, then walked down to the pond 5 laps around and back to gym with the girls in my class then went home and walked the 3-mile circle with Dave. Then I cleaned and mopped the bathrooms, but I was too pooped to mop the kitchen. Maybe after supper. This is the most I've done in one day since having the flu, so maybe I am officially over it.

Welcome to all the newbies.

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Vickie, is it a nice pat on the back by the boss to be considered as supervisor or you think he is asking you to be the clean up person. The places my daughter has worked at that had that kind of, the employees didn't like their previous dear friend turned supervisor. Good luck.

Got my taxes done. I wasn't figuring out the first portion right and got frustrated. Then further into the form, it asked for a particular form and I figured out I was using my pension form to fill in my W-2 form. Sure changed how much we owe! It immediately brought it down to our usual $0. On our state form we had to pay $80 less than last year. WOO HOO!

Joyce, Indiana
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Sharing my latest crochet accomplishment.

vwmyvaxq273i.jpg

Hugs and kudos to all in need or deserving! :)<3

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    cheri Beeeeyooootifullll! I love crochet, your work is gorgeous. Karen
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Oh, Cheri, it's gorgeous. You're very t talented. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr okc
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Time to get the easter candy out of the house. I'm a few days late with that one.

Kimses in MA
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Where is Mindy??????? I'm beginnong to worry about her.

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.51min, 15.1amph, 148mhr, 2.9mi = 124c
    SKI MACHINE- 25min, 131mhr, 5-10incl, 15-30resist, 1.16mi = 180c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.32min, 13.2amph, 138mhr 1.4mi = 73c
    ride wk 2 hm- 54.49min, 11.3amph, 14mph winds in Tacoma, 10.3mi = 515c
    total cal 892

did i forget to mention how much i hate the wind (while riding) w 14mph once i got to tacoma!!!!!

oh and i want one of those blankies por favor !
  • csofled
    Options
    cheri Beeeeyooootifullll! I love crochet, your work is gorgeous. Karen

Oh, Cheri, it's gorgeous. You're very t talented. Thanks for sharing. Janetr okc

Thanks ladies!

Cheri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,933 Member
    Options
    :)Cheri, what a beautiful blanket...what a lot of great work
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Ditto what Lisa said about vitamin E and honey for skin. Also have used arnica gel with great success.

Karen and Cheri: Holding a good thoughts for each of your DHs.

CJ: Sorry you are having such hassles right as you are getting ready for vacation.

KJLaMore: My favorite place in Grand Rapids is the old Founders Brewery. Scored a lot of great items in their gift shop for my brother the beer enthusiast. Have a great trip.

Miriam: Great picture. Who needs houseplants?

Katla: So glad you’ve been able to get the dinghy repaired and you’re that much closer to getting back to sailing. Can I come?

Carol: I’m stressed just reading about your health, job and insurance challenges. Sounds like a monumental test of spiritual principles. Hugs and more hugs to you. Keep your chin up.

Yvonne: I think you’re a saint fostering a greyhound with issues. Bless you. Hope MIL’s surgery goes well.

Mia: Bravo for continuing the decluttering. Welcome back!

Lenora: If you find that site with the binder clip tips, I’d love to see it.

Becca: Glad you’re feeling better.

Meg: Cheers for the butcher and his emergency ham. So glad Easter was saved. Sorry the appointment didn’t go so well.

Grandmallie: Repeat after me “It’s never too late to create a firm and healthy body.” We all await to hear you got to the gym tomorrow and we'll be on your shoulder as you go through the day making food choices. And of course, you know Pip and her boot….

Vicki: Wow! Hope that supervisor position works out for you, if that’s what you want.

DJ: Vicariously enjoying the home improvements with you. New fixtures are like jewelry for your room, and those cabinet pull outs are the bomb. Can’t live without the ones DH installed in our kitchen.

Anne: So happy you’re back to working out in the gym. Regardless of what I do, the gym time for me is therapeutic, mentally and physically.

Cheri: Totally awed by your lovely crochet work.

Pip: Did you say something about wind?

Dental week continued….my DH went to endodonics for root canal on a tooth that has been abscessed for many months. He kept pooh-poohing the dentists recommendation to get it taken care of because he didn’t feel any pain. Well, turns out decay under the crown had gotten so bad they decided to pass on the root canal. Next stop, total extraction. Ugh.

I’m not doing well on the scale this month, and I know it’s the between meal snacking that’s getting my daily calorie count higher than normal. Nipping this behavior NOW, and asking you all to hold me accountable. Did I mention I've book a trip to Honolulu this May. Won't be able to hide in jeans and long sleeves. :wink:

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills were it’s drizzling now, and going to snow AGAIN. With wind!!!!

MARCH goals
    Eat mindfully.
    Strength train 2x/week
    Beat February step total
    Take first step towards getting HI condo sold
    Weigh less at the end of the month
    My word for 2016: Optimism
  • csofled
    Options
    :) Cheri, what a beautiful blanket...what a lot of great work Barbie
    Cheri: Totally awed by your lovely crochet work. Rori

Thanks ladies! It's my therapy!

Cheri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,933 Member
    Options
    :) For anyone having trouble sticking to their resolutions about eating, exercising, decluttering, or anything else, there is a lot of great information in Gretchen Rubin's book "Better Than Before"....I highly recommend it. I read the book (checked it out from the library) then listened to the audio book on my phone while walking the dogs (checked it out of the library) and regularly listen to Gretchen's podcasts (downloaded from the internet). Sticking to good habits is more than just having willpower...understanding yourself and learning new strategies are a big part of the solution.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    13,000 steps
    194 minutes of dog walking
    60 minutes riding the exercise bike
    15 minutes of garden puttering

We went to Costco and bought only what was on our list.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

• tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Cheri amazing you are talented.

Vickie great news about the job.

Sylvia hope the cleaning at your sons went well. I know how dirty disorganized home can contribute to a bad attitude. Hope this helps him and he appreciates all your doing.

So many posts when you have not had a chance to read them.

Hope you all had a good day and if not hope your tomorrow is better.

Welcome all new members.

Off to bed for me.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – We took Cracker to have her bathed and clipped. She smells ‘soooooo gooood’ now. Took her to vet for her first rattlesnake booster (got to go back in 30 days for 2nd one). Then we can decide if we want to do it yearly or twice a year, depending on her exposure. We might go for the 2x a year since we live out in the boonies, so to speak, and there are woods all around us. Planted pines and a good stand of hardwoods. With a creek at the back line (although she’s only gone there with us, too far for her to wander on her own). Our JRT (RIP) got bitten; thankfully he only got one fang in her snoot or she’d probably have died from it. I saw her jump back and yelp and then she started weaving. Could not get hold of a vet here in Dawson, so we decided to go back to our vet in Albany (25 miles away) because they have a vet ‘on call’ with a ‘beeper’ not an ‘answering service’.

Joyce – I ordered a new lower baking element for my stove; but, it will be 7 – 10 days before we get it. At least we have a microwave and a toaster oven. Also, I got my 2 cream cheese pecan pies cooked before it went out. Now I don’t have to cook. I did not know ‘how to really cook’ until I was taught by my DMnL.

The last house we owned before this one had blue bathroom fixtures and green in the MBR. It took a while; but, we found some less offensive wallpaper and it looked like we had intentionally done the fixtures those colors. Had the same issue with the house before that one. Upstairs bath had a strange color of tile; put pink up against it, it turned beige; but, beige up against it, turned pink. I finally found some metallic wallpaper that had beige and pink in it and it looked great. Our MBR had a darkish hunter green and sage green tile. We found one that had both colors in it. I’m glad that wallpaper is not all that popular now-a-days. The guy that did our wallpaper is now retired.

Larisa – Can you use a dumbbell as a kettleball? My DDnL#2 told me that the main thing was to keep your back straight when you bend over to pick it up. She was telling me about her kettlebell exercise class that she took – said it was HARD! But good for the belly after she had DDnL#4.

Karen – I’m wishing that my DOS would find a job with benefits where he’d clear what he makes working for my DH. Says that he is ‘glad’ that he did not take one that he was on the ‘short list’ for; said that the woman who took the job ‘HATES it’ and now wishes she had not taken it. Large turnover in the company since he was first contacted about it.

Katla – It is getting warmer now – maybe by the end of next month I can get into the pool. That’s fun to me. Right now I can only do the treadmill – HATE IT! Mower acted up, so DH was not able to mow my paths. Maybe, if it does not rain tomorrow he can get the tractor and mow it then.

Rori – I know that I saved it; as soon as I find it; I will post it to a PM (that’s easier, I think, than trying to figure out how to do it on here, in this post.

Lenora

I also found that this site was not working right for me ... could not get it to 'bold' things; and, then would not allow me to open up 2 sites at once. So I 'restarted' the computer and it is working 'fine' now. YEAH!