WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Katla, glad to hear that DH is showing an interest in sailing!!! Wonderful news that the dingy was saved with just some surgery. It’s always interesting how some people are so willing to throw something out and replace it if they aren’t dealing with their money. I hope the summer brings lots of sailing trips. boating-smiley-emoticon.gif I think it’s great you aren’t a beginner horsewoman any longer and I agree that you just need more time on a horse.

Larisa, sorry you didn’t get to swim but there is always tomorrow.

Lenora, love the list of things our parents said.

CJ, what a way to be leaving on a long flight! I do hope you can rest on the plane. It’s a wonder you could get a plumber so quickly. Just try not to think about any mess you left behind and enjoy yourself.

Connie, sorry you weren’t feeling well but glad to hear that you are better. Trust me, it takes all of us a while to get to know the ladies here and it changes constantly. Just keep coming and don’t worry about the names, but that’s why it helps so much when people will sign their posts.

Karen, sending all the best thoughts and vibes I can that DH will get a great job soon. ((((Hugs))))

Allie, glad Faith wasn’t hurt in her fall. I guess many families have a guy like Jean’s brother. It’s too bad.

Miriam, cute picture of cat in plant. Lol

Heather, so cute that the kids made you the Easter nest.

CarolNC, I wish you were here so I could give you a big hug and a pep talk. I know it can be depressing to have health issues, not to mention scary. And OMG when a doctor tells me something will hurt???? I just want to run! But so often it’s really not painful and I wonder why they just wanted to scare me?? Glad you still have your sense of humor: “I would have banged my head on the wall, but the retina doctor warned me against any high impact activity before the surgery.” You are too funny.

Yvonne, it sounds like lots of adventures ahead with your foster dog. She is lucky to have you. I hope your MIL’s surgery goes well and she has an easy recovery.

Joyce, that story with the oven coil sounds like something I would do. But my question is, do you eat every meal out or do you buy some frozen things that you can cook? If you never use the oven, no wonder it still works after all these years. smiley-laughing014.gif

Jools, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Take one step at a time and just don’t give up. You can do this. Come often and join right in.

Meg, so sorry about the doctor’s appointment but love the ham story!!! (((Hugs)))

Cheri, very pretty afghan. I wish I could do things like that.

Rori, sending good thoughts to hubby and his dental work. I haven’t done will this month either so maybe you and I need to just set our sights to a great April. I’ll be Optimistic if you will?

MicheleNC, I wondered about using the soap dispenser but have found that I did already. We have one with hand soap that has a motion detector and I love it. That way if my hands are greasy or dirty I don’t have to touch the dispenser to get soap. I put dishwashing soap in the new dispenser which I only use for the few hand washed things so now I don’t have to reach under the sink to get it or have it sitting out beside the sink where DH used to put it. Lol

Joyce, I do know people that take a sleeping pill every night but I probably only take two or three a month on the average. The nice thing is, I take Sonata which I can take in the middle of the night if I wake up and can’t go back to sleep. As long as I still have 4 hours I can sleep the doctor said I can take it. It also leaves no sleeping pill hangover. Good luck to you and I hope you get some good rest.

Lillian, have a great mini vacation. Tell us all about it when you return.

Betty, I always figure “boring” is so much better than a life filled with drama. Congrats on your 6%, I think? Are you going to Poland sometime?

Pip, I took a friend to buy a new bike today since I have an SUV. I thought of you, of course. She just wants a street bike for the neighborhood so got a 9 speed. When we got it home, I helped her put on the cup holder that she got to go with it. Now to see if she rides it. This is the friend that had the hip replacement in December. I’ll have to ask her if she likes riding in the wind.

Marcelyn, yes it can get daunting to try to catch up when we get behind, but by golly, I think I’ve about done it. I was 5 pages behind but after spending a good bit of time on and off today, I’m not on the last page. Yea, Me!

Katla, glad you had your favorite yoga instructor today. I don’t know what in the world we did in line dance yesterday but today my butt muscles have been sore all day. And I didn’t want to walk through Walmart holding my butt, although I’d have probably just fit right in. smiley-ashamed001.gif

Heather, I know you are loving all those cuddles with Bea!!!!

Larisa, great kettle bell video. Thanks for sharing.

Kim, so nice of you to host the dinners. I know the food is always great and you set a “mean table”. eating-turkey-2.gif

Chris, welcome. We are always glad to have new members that are interested in healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle. You probably need to start by logging everything that goes in your mouth. Take baby steps and figure out what will work for you with your lifestyle. Come often and join right in.

welcome.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I got into the fancy folding in my drawers after I finished decluttering my closet. I have really enjoyed opening drawers with neatly folded undies, not to mention I did declutter them as I went. I know it’s not cute and cuddly or anything but I took a picture of my new faucet. LOL Talk about a boring life.ozaop28guavx.jpg

Sending good thoughts for all of you and wishing you each a healthy and happy day. happy-spring-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't know what hit me last week. It renewed its attack a couple days ago, but I'm UP now, I'm vertical, so that's an improvement.

The day before I first succumbed to whatever-it-was I remarked to my husband that I had a mild soreness in my hip and felt like one of those irritating old relatives who would predict a change in the weather based on joint pain. "Yepp, the old knee's acting up again. I guess we're in for a thunderstorm." Forty-fifty years ago I would have rolled my eyes at a statement like that smiley-rolleyes010.gif but the older I get the more I realize how little young people truly understand. Older IS wiser. And women over 50 RULE!

Sometimes we have our senior moments, though. Remember what Gandalf said about Barliman Butterbur? His head is like a lumber room. Thing wanted always buried. That's me just now. At the risk of missing several important themes, I'll attempt to comment on some of the posts over the past weeks. Do forgive me if I appear to be neglecting anyone. Unintentional! :flowerforyou:

Pip - Way to go with the recovery and the miles and the treadmill and the bikes and everything!

Becca - You got what I got? No fun, Sistah! Get well!

Heather - I'm awfully late chiming in, but I too am sorry to about the revelations concerning your husband's family. Anything that can lead to nightmares has to be pretty devastating. I hope you're both coping. I imagine a stint of babysitting is a useful distraction, especially if the babies in question are sitting on the sitter, as the picture suggests.

Carol in NC - Darn that "bad" church! I understand there may be excellent reasons for you to work those 15 hours a week (like paying off a mortgage or saving up for something nice) but it shouldn't have to cause you so much frustration! I dearly wish you could find something better, something that will pay without forcing you to grit your teeth - ideally something you could even enjoy doing!

Allie - *sigh* What the heck is it with Tom? How dare he yell at you? How dare he criticize the few little things you don't do for him (like pre-heating the dog food :noway:) while never acknowledging all you DO do for him?

Lisa - So sorry to hear about the deaths in your circle of acquaintance. What an awful thing for a young mother to lose husband and home simultaneously!

Sylvia - Your relationship with your son sounds like a real roller-coaster ride. I'm glad you have the occasional bright spot to help you maintain your (impressive!) positivity. The compressor and the birthday shopping and so on. (((hugs))) How did the cleaning go?

Cheri - I sympathize with the endless waiting for news on possible employment for your husband. Not fun! :noway:

Oh, and I'm enjoying your dating stories - yours and those of the others who are embarking on that type of (ad)venture.

Lenora – Thanks for the link to the video on all the incredible ways to use binder clips. I may have to go buy some now!

Miriam and Lora - I too tend to buy too many veggies when I can get hold of really good ones. Sadly, I've been so under the weather these past few days that even though I technically didn't buy too many vegetables, I haven't had the energy to prep them and may now have to throw some away. I don't think I've actually managed to consume my target daily 500 grams for over a week. :'(

I'm devouring all the talk about gardens though – national wildlife habitat, vegetable or decorative gardens (Como Park!).
    Larisa, I don't know Seattle well enough to guess where you're located (i.e. which is the most densely populated block) but the downtown area sure doesn't feel like the kind of place I'd expect lots of birds. My sister runs a stand at Pike Place Market. You anywhere near there?

My own garden is on mainland Norway (at about 70°N) and is still under an estimated 2 feet of snow. We are amazed every year that all the snow somehow disappears between Easter and Norway's national holiday 17 May. Late May is also when I can start considering sowing seeds. I doubt I'll be able to do much gardening this year, though. We've booked our trip to New Hampshire from about midsummer to mid-July and that pretty much does it for the garden. Still, as long as I can visit my parents, they take priority.

Some may recall that I applied for a job back in January, one I wasn't at all sure I wanted. Well the end of that story still hasn't been written. They never called me, but they haven't hired anybody else either. My husband usually has access to lots of inside information on the organization in question, but the lid appears to be on tight in this case, because nobody has leaked anything to anybody. Ah, well, at least I have been spared the effort of decision-making. I really, really, really wasn't sure I wanted that job.

Before Easter (and before I admitted to myself I was sick) we had a couple public holidays when the weather was gorgeous – sunny and about 5°F – so we went out snowmobiling.

4nvpdj64ksaa.jpg

First we headed out along the wide flat snow-covered valley east of town. It's about 10 miles long and 2 miles wide, and now in the winter it's perfectly white and featureless apart from the occasional reindeer. The mountains that surround it on three sides are also mainly white, with black rocks showing in the steep places where no snow gathers. I had to wonder what Heather would think of all that white expanse. Perhaps not the best place for anyone with agoraphobia. (Don't worry, Heather. It's a place you can't even get to in the summer. If we DO go up the valley we'll do it by car and stay on the road.)

Once past the valley we headed north between mountain ridges and up over a pass to a place we hadn't been before, overlooking Tempelfjord. There we sat and had a picnic lunch. It was nothing fancy and certainly not good weight-loss food. Just the Norwegian winter outing trick where you stuff long skinny hot dogs into a wide-mouth thermos and pour boiling stock over them. When it's time to eat you open the thermos, fish out a hot dog, roll it up in some soft flatbread and – voilà! – a warm meal!

anb3hvs79fdq.jpg

We ate and admired the view and enjoyed the silence. After a while we heard snowmobiles approaching and sure enough a big party of about 10 people arrived on four snowmobiles, one with the kind of trailer attachment you transport children in, and two with sleds packed with gear. It was apparent the newcomers intended to set up camp and stay a night or two. (This picture is from another occasion. Our neighbors were going to their "cottage" for the weekend. Note the space capsule sled for the kids.)

i9wxnyv3kd9p.jpg

We had finished eating so we packed up, wished the new arrivals a Happy Easter and drove off. We took another route home, going over a couple glaciers and an even higher pass. Saw a couple dozen reindeer but no birds. (And no polar bears.) The last bit down from the glacier involved a really steep hill that made me a bit nervous ahead of time because I'm not a very experienced snowmobile driver. But once I started down the slope, it was no problem at all.

Tomorrow I head for Stockholm again for another round of teaching.

Catch y'all later!

/Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca ~ Hope your cold subsides so you can enjoy life again!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Cheri Fairlawn, oHIo – Your crochet work is beautiful. I am trying to teach myself how to crochet from a book. Not an easy task. So I really appreciate seeing the work of someone who knows what they are doing.
    Mia in MI

I learned to crochet many, many years ago. A good source is U Tube. Sometime watching the crochet process is helpful. That is how "I" taught my daughter. I sat next to her and followed along on a beginners crochet video. Good luck! It is great stress reliever.

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo
  • csofled
    Options
    :)<3
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Larisa, I don't know Seattle well enough to guess where you're located (i.e. which is the most densely populated block) but the downtown area sure doesn't feel like the kind of place I'd expect lots of birds. My sister runs a stand at Pike Place Market. You anywhere near there?

Agreed! and I get "lots" for a city, not lots compared to a forest, but it's been a pleasant surprise, and I love it! I filmed this out my bedroom window; it's last summer's fresh batch of juvenile finches squabbling over bathing rights. :smiley:
    https://youtu.be/PDqDwgRJuFU

I'm not far from Pike Place, between that and the Space Needle. It's only been the densest, since a new building opened a year ago; before that, the official densest block was always on Capitol Hill.

Gorgeous photos! That looks like a blast...

Larisa
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Penny - so you have reindeer wandering around, have you seen Rudolph? and what about Santa? Do the kids there believe or know it is just a story?

Kim
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Day two at the gym. Woke up a little sore this morning. Worked on arms yesterday. Shoulders are a little stiff. Lol. Today was legs. See how I feel tomorrow. Was hoping I would sleep better last night fid not get that lucky.

To top it off found out ex joined the same gym last night. I made myself a promise no matter what I am going to keep going. At least we will be in different areas. He needs to lose 50 lbs. He will focus more on cardio while I am focusing more in the weight training area. My daughter introduced me to several of her body builder buddies and informed them of my situation so they promised her to keep gym trollers and anyone I don't want around me away. Lol. Amazing when your adult children feel the need to protect you.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh, Penny, I was so thrilled with your pictures. As always, I shared them with Jack. We both thank you. Hope you are physically up to teaching again so soon. (((Hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    DJ love the new faucet. The sprayer in them is so handy. We also put a soap dispenser in and I use it constantly. Jack showed me a sprayer faucet in a catalog for motor homes. I'm pestering him to get one for our motor home. :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :) Larisa, thank you for the video of the kettle bell swing. I am adding that to my weight training routine.

:) Miriam, Congrats on your plan for buying, preparing, and eating fresh vegetables. I had to finally concede that I don't like to prepare fresh vegetables so now I buy frozen vegetables and have them as part of my meals and do so guilt free. I admire people who prepare and eat fresh veggies, but it doesn't work for me.

:)Heather, it sounds like you're having a fabulous time with your grandchildren.

:)Kim, the only thing I know about a May Day celebration is flowers...you can always create your own traditions using foods and decorations that you love.

:) Chris from Central Oregon, you are welcome to become part of our friendly community. I don't know much about eating out because I rarely do it but others will have suggestions. What helps me is to seek every opportunity to be active, thus burning more calories and making it possible to eat a bit more.

:)Lora, congrats to you for fighting the pain and getting out for a walk.

:)Katla, now that you're not a beginner on the horse, you can be more relaxed about the absolute basics and pay more attention to refining your posture and how you do everything.

:) DJ, that's a beautiful faucet. It is very spiritual to be grateful and appreciative for even the smallest things in ones life...maybe I'll take a picture of my dumbbells and post that

:)Penny, the snowmobiling looks like fun and the scenery is fabulous

:)Anne, enjoy your time at the gym and don't let anything discourage you.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Barbie, I'd love to see pictures of your dumbbells. :)

Janetr okc
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    DJ, love the faucet.

Carol, my DH has had several retina tears. He always gets his lasered back immediately. He has glaucoma.

Anne, good luck with your weight training. Starting a program is the best thing I've ever done for my health. We have a saying at our gym. "I hate you. I hate this place. See you tomorrow!" It does feel so good when it's done.

My workout today (I snapped a picture of the routine so I would know what everything is called.)
    Barbell curls 3x15x35 (bar only), alternating dumbbell curls 3x15x10, cable hammer curl with rope (3x15x50), assisted pull-ups (I can't really do this one, but I managed 3 sets of 4 half-way ups), reverse grip Lat pull down 3x15x50, incline bench press 3x15x20, kettle bell shoulder to shoulder press 3x15x10, leaning dumbbell lateral raise 3x15x5, barbell shrugs 3x15x30(2-15 lb Dumbbells).

Also did a 7 minute warmup on the elliptical before working out and a 3 mile walk with Dave this afternoon.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    DJ, a lovely faucet!
    Becca honey remember to bundle up when you are sick lol!
    Would love to go to Poland someday and practice my Polish but nothing definite yet.
    Penny your pictures and descriptions always amaze me!
    Betty
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Lenora: Thank you for the link to the binder clip tips. I'll use some of them.

Kim: In Hawaii May Day is Lei Day. Everyone makes or buys a lei to wear at work or school. You can easily make them with a bit of thread, long needles, blossoms, buds, petals, leaves, or even yarn and ribbon. I have a book on leis you can crochet that look like some of the most common types.

Well, I've made myself wistful for island life. Maybe it's the snow falling quietly outside. To give you a little flavor of Lei Day, here's a photo from a few years ago.

2ku61f11ekfb.jpg

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.07min, 13.5amph, 146mhr, 2.9mi = 127c
    SPIN- 40min, 83ar, 113aw, 11-16g, 125ahr, 145mhr, 16.4mi = 328c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.40min, 12.7amph, 139mhr 1.4mi = 81c
    ride wk 2 hm- 54.23min, 11.4amph, 157mhr, 10.3mi = 536
    total cal 1072
    less wind, yeayyyy!!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    damnit - NO ONE likes riding in the wind, breeze, no big, hard wind, nope
  • csofled
    Options
    Saw this and had to share! If only it were true.

6icvekzaq6vp.jpg

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)drkatie, great workout....I'd never be able to remember all those names without writing them down.

:)janetr, Here is a picture of my dumbbells....each one set up like this weighs 25 pounds...they are able to be changed so each can go from 5 pounds to over 50 pounds in 2.5 pound increments

86ood5ii9n0r.jpg
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    DJ, a lovely faucet!
    Becca honey remember to bundle up when you are sick lol!
    Would love to go to Poland someday and practice my Polish but nothing definite yet.
    Penny your pictures and descriptions always amaze me!
    Betty

Pish Posh apple sauce... lol I am HEATING my cold out. Ahhh it felt good to be warm to my bones!! Husband and I took turns, hey we gotta small balcony. Shhhh!

I had 17 yr old out there shirtless, telling my goth-white child that he needed to have his chest and face see the light of day! He talked about all his classes while munching on Oreo's (yes child finish them so I don't!), sipping some chocolate espresso cold coffee drink from Mexico, and lounging back on the chair. I read the paper, telling him this and that, and asking his opinion. For a 17 yr old he is really aware of whats going on around the world and locally. He and dear husband spar with historical stories, and political hoopla. I just keep quiet because all I have to add is a smile most of the time. I do yell out answers when we watch Jeopardy!, and most of the time they are wrong but I SWEAR when my head thinks of the right answer I seem to be quiet. Whats up with that!! My sons sang the theme song when they were babies so cute. Also sang the theme music from "BlackAdder" as well. Crazy kids.

Lovely barbells Barbiecat!!! They look all shiny :-)

Becca
    Oregon