WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr deep water. Vince wasn't all that keen on taking me so early, but being with my friends is real important to me. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Karen Voit Slim and Sleek Strength Esentials DVD.

calefor - Count me among those that must exercise in the a.m. If I don't do it early, it doesn't get done. Like right now Vince has to take me everywhere and exercising later in the day just doesn't work for me. So I've given up a lot of my exercising outside the home. If it doesn't happen early in the day...it doesn't happen. One time I needed to leave early to take a friend to her eye MD appt. I had every plan to exercise when I got home. Boy, was it work for me to convince myself not to just let it go that day. I really hate doing this.

janetr - I went a few months ago to renew my passport. I have never in my life had such a bad pic taken of me. The guy was insulted when I went "yuk". He said "oh, I think I take good pictures" If that's a good pic, I'd hate to see a bad one. If renewing wasn't so expensive, I'd have my pic retaken at CVS.

Lillian - have fun!

Betty - how wonderful that your daughter is coming to visit you! As far as the Skype session, we mainly talked about just day-to-day things, he was saying how they had a mudslide, we told him about the pump on the pool and how we had a tree down. He was telling us about some of the things that his students teach him. We didn't really go into "feelings"

Lenora - we really don't burn the pile. There are too many trees there. We just let Mother Nature take care and let it decompose (of course, except for the rocks). I throw the popcorn from our Christmas tree there, also along with any extra popcorn I may have. We live right outside the city limits which means that our taxes are lower :)

Vince took me to the deep water class then I wanted to stop at WalGreen and return the vitamins I got for Jess. Then I asked him if we could stop at CVS so I can get $1 from my coupon. He wasn't crazy about that because I hadn't mentioned it before. Well, I only thought of it this morning. So I got 3 boxes of cereal for free. Anyway I just said to him "well, you're always saying how I need to consolidate my trips and CVS is right on the way home. You know, this is what I usually do". He did stop.

Just went to the bike store. Boy, do they have limited hours. Our guess is that it's run by college students. There was a sign on the door "closed for spring break". Now is that any way to run a business?

katla - WalMart also takes passport photos? I'll have to check that out

Jess is coming here tomorrow and I'm thinking that she probably wants to go to the lady's house who is making the dress for her convention (something to do with World of Warcraft). So I made some homemade dog biscuits for her and then this chocolate chip bars. I'll cut them up and give her some, Lynette some, and have some to take to the place where I take the extremepump class.

Larisa - in a sense it really bothers me when an instructor says to use heavier weights. Using heavier weights I wind up using poor form. I'd rather do the exercise correctly with a lower weight

Chris - so glad to have ya. Love your cat (we have 4). My FIL used to say when he retired "I don't know where I found the time to work". Now I understand what he meant!

KJ - when we're working outside, I usually keep some baby carrots or those cherry tomatoes on my counter and then I can just "grab and go" back to working outside. Great for your son and so wonderful of you to do that for him

DJ - now if my soap dispenser had a motion detector, I would probably use it for the same reason you said, if your hands are greasy or something, you don't have to touch anything to get them clean. Wonderful faucet! (the things that excite us...huh?)

Cheri - my grandmother ws a FANTASTIC crocheter. Unfortunately, when she wanted to teach me, I didn't want anything to do with that "old lady" stuff. Now I regret it. I am trying to teach myself by using a book. I have these placemats that I've been working on, literally, for about 10 years. I just have so many problems working in the round

Went to the bike store today to see about this "rear release" thing. The place has such limited hours,. When we got there, there was a sign on the door that they were closed "for spring break". Well, Vince posted something on their website and seems that the guy who owns it doesn't feel that there's enough business (?) to be open much and he's away with his family. I don't know. We'd like to do business with local businesses, but it's very hard when you have such limited hours. Then we went to ceramics. I'm almost done with my dolphin. I do have to get this stuff that you put on the waves to make it look like whitecaps. why I didn't get it when I was in FL I have no idea. So they're going to ship it to me along with an angelfish that I'll paint to put on the pergola in front of the equipment pad.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    13,000 steps
    196 minutes of dog walking
    31 minutes riding the exercise bike
    line dance class

weight-lifting-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Strong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 5X5 @ 50 lbs
    deadlift 5X5 @ 60 lbs
    overhead press 5X5 @ 30 lbs
    kettle bell swing 1X5 @ 10 lbs 4X5 @ 15 lbs

I decided to stop doing planks because with the nerve damage and pain in my legs, it hurts too much...my abs can last much longer than my legs.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    damnit - NO ONE likes riding in the wind, breeze, no big, hard wind, nope

Wind, wind, riding in the wind? I think Pip mentioned she might not enjoy it. Nope, nope not even on her pretty new bike.

Janetr okc (where the wind turned into a tornado this evening)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Cheri, that is too cute. You need one. :)

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mia: I'm so glad you're back. The photo of you wearing your red hat puts a smile on my face every time I see it. :heart:

Larissa: Thank you for sharing the kettlebell video. I had no idea what people were really trying to do until seeing this. :smiley:

Miriam: There is "free range" asparagus all over in the area where my sister-in-law lives. We've gone out and hunted it in the wild many times in years gone by. Now she has a nice planting in her garden. :bigsmile:

Chris from Central Oregon: Welcome! It is always nice to see another Oregon woman here. I'm from beside the Columbia River, about 30 miles down river from Portland. :flowerforyou:

Becca: If your DH is asking you to ration TP for the rest of the month, you must be thrilled that day after tomorrow will be April. Meanwhile, ask him to donate t-shirts for your use. :devil: If you find a sunny patch, sit down and let the sun soak into your skin. How much skin you put to work on the task is up to you. :wink: We take sun baths, especially this time of year because it has been so long since we've seen the sun. We content ourselves with fully clothed sunbaths. There is no privacy available here. :noway:

DJ: I love your sink! A also love the mental image of you wandering through Walmart holding your b*tt. No wonder you didn't want to do it. :laugh:

Penny: I hope you are officially and permanently over the virus. You are so right that women over 50 rule! Veggies are so good. Veggies that are getting a little age on them make excellent soup, and soup is one of the best healing concoctions on the planet. Enjoy your teaching in Stockholm. :smiley:

Barbie: I like your riding ideas. I'm focusing on an attitude shift right now. I have been a student who does what she's told, obedient and not very assertive. It is time for me to actively make riding choices and take the initiative rather than waiting to be told what to do all the time. :bigsmile:

Rori: The leis are beautiful! :flowerforyou:

Pip: I love riding in the wind-- if I'm on a sailboat. It isn't too bad on a bike if it is a tailwind. I'll bet tailwinds are far and few between on the commute home from work. Crosswinds are the pits. :ohwell:

Tomorrow we take the sailboat into the boatyard for work. We're having the propeller serviced and may also have the bottom painted if needed. I never want to spend the money, but if it is needed to keep the boat in good condition we'll find a way to pay for it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    B)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)drkatie, great workout....I'd never be able to remember all those names without writing them down.

:)janetr, Here is a picture of my dumbbells....each one set up like this weighs 25 pounds...they are able to be changed so each can go from 5 pounds to over 50 pounds in 2.5 pound increments

86ood5ii9n0r.jpg

Barbie, oh yes. I think you gave us an Amazon web site to look at when you bought them. I'm thinking that will be my next step up. I now have four sets of dumbbells sitting in the room where I workout. Thanks for sharing. I can really feel and see a difference since I started weight training. Even the squats and lunges are getting better. Quite a workout for these new knees, they will be better than new soon. I thank you and Mary for encouraging me to give it a try.

Janetr okc
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Kim ... You may recall we had a discussion on here regarding May Day and maypole dancing... Last year's Google research indicated that the maypole and maidens weaving ribbons around the pole had less than innocent origins ...

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kim, your list for things that need to be done around the house sounds like ours. Good luck.

I did sleep well with just 1/4 of an Ambien. That was 2.5 mg.! In a couple of days I hope to stop them. My grand kids spring break is next week and they will come Friday night and leave Tuesday so I hope they tire me out to sleep well. But they are using our town as a base for a staycation. Charlie and I will stay home. Charlie says he is OK with me going with them but a couple of the places they want to go I have no desire to go to. I know there is a famous Garden of the Gods. I think it is out west somewhere. But we also have a Garden of the Gods in southern Illinois. We went quite often when the girls were young. I'm sure it is the reason for a lot of Charlie's grey hair as he is a very protective person and I, along with my girls, are the adventerous, if you don't try it once you haven't lived type people. So we go and sit on the ledges of these cliffs in the big canyon like area. With my mobility problems I would want to do all the things I used to do, hopping between these huge boulders, sitting on the edges. But once you sit you have to be able to get up again and that would be impossible. There are times when I am on the floor I have to crawl to a chair, etc to pull myself up. They also want to go to the zoo. My oldest daughter thinks anyones animal collection is a wonderful zoo. Yes, our zoo is oK but I have been there so often. and they would have to push me around in my wheel chair. So I am OK in staying home.

As far as me eating out, we go out about 3-4 times a week. All our breakfast and lunches are at home. I rarely put anything in the oven. Most is cooked on top of the stove. We only go out somewhere that has a website that list it's nutritional data. I had a dietician show me how to approximate servings and if what is served to me I just give the extra to Charlie. I also immediately put things in a carry out box. I need to fatten Charlie up. He is weighing about 185 now. He used to wear XL and then went down to L but still kept and wears both. But I think he needs to explore whether he needs to try an M. But that means money and he doesn't let go of that very easy if it is for him. He will for anyone else but is very difficult for him.

Joyce, Indiana

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Beth - ugh! I have no absolutely no memory of last years discussion about May day -- old, I must be getting old!!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Just checking in while DH is doing the breakfast serving. They came in for a "getting in the bed with us "chat this morning. We all sang "The Teddy Bears Picnic".
    Lovely video Larisa.
    Wonderfull photos Penny. I wouldn't go there on my own :noway: but I'm fine with other people around.

Got to go down now. :D<3

Heather UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Wow only 18 more pages and I will be caught up again . . . grrrrrrrr . . .LOL

Happy Birthday to everyone whose birthday I missed smiley-says-happy-birthday.gif
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn I'd be driving that car all over the place. That's what we have insurance for! I say have fun!!!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Kim - Every child in Longyearbyen knows for a fact that Santa lives in Mine 2b. The mine hasn't been worked for decades but a few old wooden structures still cling halfway up the slope on the eastern side of the valley.
    2za73vi14lh6.jpg

You can tell Santa lives there because all winter long the windows are lit up, and every year in late November, when the sun has set for the last time and the sky no longer gets light even at noon, Santa's mailbox appears at the foot of the slope for children to put their wish-lists in.

This is his REAL mailbox, mind you. An independently wealthy Chinese woman who lives here from time to time erected another "Santa's mailbox" at the north end of town a couple years ago. It's two stories high and bright red. Nobody knows how she managed to get permission to build it - or even IF she did. Anyway, that mailbox is just for tourists.

Reindeer, yes. Rudolph, no. Santa would love to employ the locals but unfortunately the work is too demanding for them. Santa needs his reindeer to be fast (duh!) and our reindeer are short and fat and lethargic and simply don't pass the physicals. Rudolph belongs to the mainland breed of reindeer – the slender, fast ones. Here's one of ours:
    x9w3qvogen5n.jpg

JanetR - Those pictures are for you and Jack, too. I took the one with the reindeer a couple weeks ago on my way home from the grocery store. :smiley:

Larisa - Sweet birdies! I love watching birds. When I'm on the mainland I put out bird feeders and it entertains me so much I never, EVER feel any need to watch TV.

Heather - Good to hear you're all right with vast expanses as long as there are people around.
    I learned "The Teddy Bears Picnic" at a single hearing way back in 1967, somewhere in what was then called Southern Rhodesia. It was shortly after I'd been bitten by the dog that might or might not have had rabies. We were camping for the night at some kind of park and the music was streaming out over a closed but illuminated swimming pool. Every time I hear the song I'm transported back to that place, see the light reflected in ripples on the surface of the water, and feel the big gauze bandage on my left hand. If you go down in the woods today...

Here's resource you might enjoy in preparation for your cruise this summer. toposvalbard.npolar.no/ It's basically an interactive map but if you click on the camera icon in the legend at the top left, a bunch of clickable photos appear. Most of them are aerial photos of mountains, plains and glaciers, but in and around human habitations (current or previous) there are images taken at ground level showing buildings. You can type in place names and the map will take you there. Obviously you want to try Longyearbyen, Pyramiden and Barentsburg, but I suggest you go to Alkhornet and learn to recognize that distinctive feature so you can impress the other passengers with your knowledge. smiley-laughing009.gif Festningen is another feature you will probably be able to spot at some point.

The scale wasn't kind to me this morning. :s That's what I get for 10 days of not eating my veggies and not getting my exercise. Unfortunately I'll have to play it safe and avoid exertion for a few more days. Walks, yeah, fine, but no biking and no jogging for a while yet. And no full-scale weight lifting until I get back to Longyearbyen in mid-April.

Have a nice day all you peeples in more westerly time zones!
    /Penny still at, but about to leave the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    morning ladies~
    here I am finally finally home for good. Jean comes home tonight.. I did not make it to the gym again this morning I slept in...put fresh sheets on Jean's bed and got Faith her paper and am having a cup of tea..
    I am dropping Chester at the groomers and then I will go to my dads, gonna skip feeding DFIL today. I have to start getting the bedrooms cleaned up at dads house for my daughter ,her boyfriend and my grandaughter.. it is a project and a half, and will pick Chester up at noon,drop him off home do a quick change and meet my friend at Panera to catch up.. will just have a cup of tea...then home sweet home..
    Penny~ the picture of the pole are just spectacular...
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Made my March goal. Lost one pound. I'm not just OK with it, I'm really, really happy. I may have finally found something I can make work for changing my life instead of just my weight. My only goal for March was to be lighter at the end than I was at the end of February. I did it in February, and I did it in March now, as well. Takes an enormous amount of pressure and stress off me--and again, not saying it will work for everyone. Just tired of gaining. So... the goal for April will be the same. Be lighter. No numbers. Just... lighter.

Headed for the metropolis this weekend, or as close as we've got in West Texas--Midland/Odessa. Got a reservation in a hotel with a jacuzzi room. Ostensibly, it's for my 56th birthday on Sunday... but in reality, I wanted to get my husband off the ranch for a day or so. Between the ranch and our warehouse, he's been working himself into the ground. Jacuzzis are more his bag than mine, but I'm OK with it, as long as he gets a chance to rest! Had a free night (ish) coming from hotels.com for our travel at New Year's, so took advantage of it for this. Plus I'll get to shop in a couple real stores. Probably (knowing us) in Home Depot, but I'm OK with that.

Almost finished with my self-imposed obligations to others--finishing up a Harry Potter quilt for a writer friend to give to her sister. Bartered the baby quilt for edits on my next two books, which is helping me get in gear to get moving and write one and collect all the articles for the other, one hopes. Finished line edits for another writer friend who landed in the hospital on Monday with chest pains--she's doing well, now. She only had ten days to get her galleys edited, though, so I stepped in quickly for her. It was a novella, so didn't take me long.

Still working on new websites--had a brainstorm that I'll tell y'all about later once I've got it closer to reality--as well as refinishing furniture and making various things to sell around town. Staying busy isn't even close, but I am so grateful to my husband for giving me the ability to stay busy at what I choose to do, instead of what others want me to do to make a paycheck!

I do read everything--don't respond to much, because I'm in the habit now of taking pressures off my soul, not the other way around. Congratulations to the new ones who've stuck around--welcome to an amazing group of women!

April 23 will be one year for me on MFP, and total, I'm 27 pounds lighter than I was last year on April 1. I started MFP because I was going to be on the road traveling for the company I was working for at the time, and wanted to be able to track food on the run. I tracked everything I ate on paper from January to March, then beginning April 1, I started not only tracking, but getting my food intake under control. I lost 47 pounds between April and the end of October (from 210 to 163). Then I gained 22 back over the winter, November, December, January. Back on track by the 1st of February, and now headed back down, but without the high-pressure goal to lose tens of pounds this year. Just, "be lighter."

Love y'all, happy April a day in advance, see you on the April thread!
    Lisa in sunny, windy West Texas
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Happy Thursday!
    Penny- Oh my! I am loving your photos and your stories! I truly think the reason I haven't won the lottery is because I would spend every penny on traveling. I would be like Maizie-bird from the Horton Hatches the Egg and I would neglect my family and fly off. Keep the photos coming! Glad you are beginning to feel better!
    Becca- That cough is the worst! It just seems to hang in there after all other cold symptoms have gone. Are you using anything OTC to clear the mucus (sorry if TMI) or to suppress the cough at night? My go to is always Mucinex 12 pill during the day with a nasal spray, then Delsym cough suppressant at night. Just remember; with all cough syrups; don't drink anything after you take them. They need to coat your throat. Having a drink of water afterwards washes it all down. I can relate to the issue with the bike shop being closed for break. I live in a small town and many of the family owned businesses will shut down for a week here and there from October-April. We are a "summer" town. So they are open all day every day in the summer for tourist season. But hours of operation vary in the colder months when it is just locals. When we first moved here we found it VERY irritating. The local paper also used to post divorces on page 2. Thank God the town has gotten bigger and they have other stuff to write about, now!
    Anne- So glad you are back at it at the gym! Sore muscles and all, it still feels good to be getting active and stronger. Too bad about the ex joining the same gym. I think it is so sweet that your daughter feels she needs to look after you! LOL!
    Cheri- Love the crochet blanket/afghan and I love the sweatshirt. I think you should get it and wear it often!
    Larisa- What a great bird video! You have a busy little fountain! The finches are so small but so feisty!
    Rori- Love the leis! We celebrate lei day, rather than may day at my daycare. We make leis on that day and hand them out to the neighbors. Ours are only made with cereal and cupcake liners... Yours are lovely!
    Katie- You are getting in some nice work-outs! Are you feeling the difference in the way your clothes fit?
    Barbie- LOL! Love the pics of the weights. I have some of the neoprene dumbells, but they only go up to 15 pounds. I had to switch over to my dh's more "serious" ones. They look like yours.
    DJ- Very nice faucet! It looks similar to the one that I installed a month or two ago. Mine is white, though. I named her Delilah because I am sure she will betray me and fail at some point. (I have a friend that says if we name our appliances we treat them better and they last longer!)
    Well it's the last day of March! New girls- Barbie will post a link today/tonight to the April board! Click on the link to get there and remember to bookmark it (click on the star) once you find it so that it will come up daily.
    Today is my last day of work for the week! Kids getting picked up by 3:30 so I can make it to the dentist; then I am off for 10 days! No plans to travel far. A couple of day trips and a couple of home improvement projects along with spring cleaning/yard work should keep me occupied and out of trouble for that time! Woo-hoo! Time off!
    Kristan- and whomever else is interested, April 1 begins the 30 day squat challenge! I posted the link a few pages back; I will try and find it and repost!
  • KJLaMore
    Options
    March resolutions and goals:
    strength train a minimum of three times a week
    walk daily
    get all of my water in!!!
    log my meals daily
    complete two home improvement projects
    I was just looking at my March resolutions and goals. Some I did well with; but others got sidelined as I battled the crud this month. Already have ideas for April.
    Here is the squat challenge link. http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Printable-Squat-Challenge-31141646?utm_content=buffera6e95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campai
  • KJLaMore
    Options
    Allie and Lisa- You both posted while I was writing and researching who said what that I needed to respond to! Allie- you are so caring and sweet! Fresh sheets are so nice to slide into. Hope everyone you give to, appreciates all you do! Lisa, I think the year you have had on MFP is a huge success! And I think your "one" goal is a great idea! Sometimes even goals can put pressure/stress on us. You had an AWESOME year!