WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    CJ the Indonesian sauce is Trader Joe' s Sambal Matah. Got it on a whim with a Christmas gift card and now am going to be looking around to incorporate it into other things too!
    Welcome new people!!!
    Bit of a bummer weekend with this silly cold-- no exercise and going slightly off plan on eating...
    Heather the body language idea sounds really good!
    Betty
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Oh it soooo nice today!! The sun is shinning and snow melting and I am heading outside to feed the birds, take out my compost and walk my dog!!

Better get at it - Tim Horton's Brier is on TV - I will miss the first few ends but will catch the last if I walk fast. Must get my 10,000 steps in. My goal this month is to work at the beginning of the month because you never know what is going to happen to derail your miles.

Catch you all later, I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan......Where we are already under a heavy snowfall warning for tonight....
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Heather Happy Mother's Day! I took several courses as part of a communications minor degree in college that pertained to body language. Powerful. I plan to read about the power poses!

Cheri 365 days! Great commitment!

Arbeej Welcome!

Busy cooking today ... Things like steel cut oats and crustless quiche that can be portioned and frozen.

As expected, neglected muscles are protesting today after yesterday's workout. In a twisted way I'm quite happy about that!

Beth near Buffalo where the sun is shining!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! It's going to be up to 75 degrees today and I get off work at 3 so planning to go for a motorcycle ride before our meeting. Looking forward to that.

Beth--Sending prayers and hugs!

Lisa--Would you have to be in NC for the whole 18 months? Sounds like you have a lot to think about. Know you will do what is best for everyone.

Carol--Sorry to hear about your experince with the dentist. Hope your mouth is better.

Sylvia--Hope you feel better soon.

Barbie--You rock even when you are out on the road. Thanks for being such a great example!!

Margaret--Great news about DH tests results. Happy dance.

Larisa--Sounds like you had a great week. Keep it up. I also heard you lost a pounds, Happy dance for you.

Katiebug--I do like your NSV with the panty hose.

Joyce--I have asked her about home health and sounds like she doesn't want that or they don't think it is needed. I am worried about her going home already as she is so weak and not eating. I am hoping I will have a chance to voice my concerns tomorrow with the nurse.

Sure looks nice outside and I am off in an hour. Stay safe ladies and remember we are all in this together.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm going to try to get back in the swing. I admit, I will most likely skim right now.

We had a great time in FL. What a finish to the Daytona. Got home about 7:30 on thurs and I'm STILL trying to play catchup with all the TV shows that were recorded, the emails, etc, etc. But I seem to be getting there, little by little

Welcome everyone new! Good thoughts being sent to everyone who is under the weather and big congrats on great NSV's and losses. Happy birthday to everyone, belated if it is

Suzy in DE - Oh, I'm very familiar with Bear. We moved to NC from Kennett Square, PA. Whenever we needed to purchase a large appliance or really anything, we went to DE.

Betty - are you learning Polish? My father had this WONDERFUL woman taking care of him before he passed. What an angel. The biggest problem was that she spoke Polish and I didn't. How I wish my grandparents (who came from Poland) had taught me but I understand their feelin. "we're in America now, in America we speak English". I tried to learn but the biggest problem I found was that I didn't have anyone to speak to in Polish.

KJ - try as I might, my weakness is for cookie/pie/cake/brownie, etc dough. After it's baked, it doesn't hold any appeal for me. But if it's raw -- forget it That's my weakness

It's a shame how much food restaurants give you. Vince laughs because I order the senior meals or even the child meals (if they are decent, which they usually aren't) just so I don't get as much

DJ - I very rarely post anything to FB. I'm just not that into it. I do like keeping up with my kids, tho.

drcriscos - I don't use a food scale, but I use measuring cups and measuring spoons faithfully. Not sure why I don't use a scale, I, like you, just eyeball it

Anna - YIPPEE!!!!

Can't say that I have a cheat day, but even the things that aren't real good for me, I log. That is, unless it's something like a piece of fruit and I know I have the calories left over so I just may not bother. But never if it's like a brownie or cookie. I truly believe nothing is off limits, it's just portion control. I'm amazed at how large a portion of veges I can have and how little of cookies

Margaret - so happy for your hubby

Heather - Happy Mother's Day

How do you ladies post while in the car? I couldn't figure out how to post from my tablet or from my phone. Was thinking of you all while we were driving to/from FL

Mary - I almost always need to have some sort of protein after exercising

Came home and the pump for the pool isn't working. Vince is trying to figure out what it is. He said we may very well just buy a new pump so that we get the warranty and all. We also had a REAL bad wind storm while we were gone. One tree (that I wanted down anyway because it was dead) blew over

NCCarol - I'm so proud of you with your dating. Remember, you gotta kiss a lot of frogs to get the prince!

Heather - good luck to your son on his interview

Been logging every day and keeping up with my exercise. Vince said that he'd take me to the extremepump class tomorrow. He's learning all about shopping....lol

Michele back in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats- 1X5X 95/100/105/110, 5X5X 115
    Sumo squats-5X5X 100
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 50
    DL- 1X5X 135

I had major insomnia last night so I am very late in doing my workout. Later this afternoon I will do my kettle bell swings.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

CJ – just a thrift store note – a local one gets stuff way out of date, and they discount it and first put it in costume section- by era, the local theater groups and high schools are there for costumes regularly, if it doesn’t sell there then it is sold as fabric for quilts/rag rugs and the crafters can get it by the bag… so VERY little heads to the dump. Just a different way to make lemonade out of lemons

“name learners” even us oldies get confused sometimes which is why it is so nice when we each remember to sign our posts…

Kimses – you can do this!!!!

Arbeej – welcome

Cheri – happy anniversary

Heather – thanks for the lead – I’ll check it out.

So it’s lunch time here and I have totally blown my calories for today - I was out the door about 8:30am to drive an hour to see my Mom, got there and my db (deadbeat brother) was there – he’s a creep but mom feels obligated to him – long story – Any way I brought some stuff for the second hand store she works for – and my brother decided that was wrong…. And I got an earful….I was a GD F*ing B*tch, and to top it off it was my fault that there was a wind storm last night and a branch fell in the pool. (did you know I was Mother Nature? –LOL) To say the least I was out of there… I needed to stop at Trader Joe’s, I made the stop and bought my favorite cookie a kona coffee shortbread, 2 for 200 calories, which is not impossible, but I ate the whole box (6 servings) in the hour drive home… grrrr… they are logged and I am owning my bad choice, but grr!!!

My ahb (*kitten* hole brother) was not worth all 1,200 calories….

Kim from N. California - still needing to find something healthy and low cal for lunch!
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    csofled sometimes we have to think with our minds and not our emotions. But darn if those emotions don't rule me sometimes.
    You've done a great job logging for a whole year! Impressive.

Kimses in MA
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Kim from N. California~Another thing that is fun is using a large leaf of butter lettuce. I learned this from my Japanese lady friends. They would brown ground beef, with a big of soy sauce, then wrap it into a pocket and serve it.
    I am not one that eats apples, but I have found if I chop them, plus some celery and add to chicken with some fat free mayo, its awesome in a pita! Sometimes if I don't have celery I add walnuts instead.
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kim - well its over and done with and you learned that "ahb" was not worth it. I can't even imagine some one in my family speaking to me like that. You did the right thing by leaving. Now as for the cookies, ummm......mabye not so good. Stick to your healthy eating the rest of the day. DO NOT try to not eat at all. Nothing is worse than to be upset and a bit down on ourselves and have our stomachs growling at us. Big, big lots and lots of (((hugs))) to you.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    well I am pooped and I hate being rushed....we went to feed DFIL and didnt get home until a little after 9 this morning, had to be up to pick my dad up at 11:30` so I dashed over to Walmart and grocery shopped, I was running around crazy trying to get what I needed to get home and put it away ,and change my clothes and go pick up my father to go to lunch with my uncle and cousin.... we had a lovely time and my father was talked most of the whole time...
    did do great eating or exercising today.. but will be back in the swing tomorrow, I picked up a combo lock ,but when I got it home it said a luggage lock, but will use it on my locker at the gym anyway..... packed everything for the gym already, and now just sitting down.. and am charging the Surge
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Janetr - it did not even occur to me to not eat at all.... LOL my ahb is an ongoing problem - and actually mouthing off is good for him I have had to have him arrested for battery more than once...
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Becca my challenge with "movable" protein is that meat is not my favorite, and cheese is so high in fat....

kim in n. cal
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,362 Member
    Options
    Hugs Kim! One day for such a #+×@*^# @#×+%=* is perfectly fine. <3

Heather UK
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Thanks Heather, I am looking at it as a bad "snack" logged it in a snack and am going to keep the rest of the meals healthy... not throwing out the whole day.

Kim
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well today I visited with my neighbor across from me on the landing. She is in her 80's and needed me to remove her doggies' metal tag from one body collar thingy to a new one she had bought. Doesn't have the hand strength, (and trouble with eyesight) to open that ring thingy. Well with a butter knife I finally got it... Worry that she is still driving, but its not my place to say. Worry that she lives by herself, but she has her cute little dog, (that just loves me), so at least that is something. I take down her garbage when she leaves it by her door.

She told me that some friends were coming over and she was making southern fried chicken with the trimmings. She said she will probably have leftovers, so in other words, don't cook dinner! Sweet of her. I give her half of a lot of my food bank items. They are normally from the Costco here, so huge plastic packages of fruits or veggies. Share the wealth is my motto! She told me that I was really losing weight, and she could tell! That is always nice to hear! She said, "You are such a beautiful lady". Wow, that almost made me cry. I told her I appreciated her saying that. I said that this program has been such fun to be on. Just eating what I like, and paying attention to portions.

I will give the southern fried chicken to son and husband though. I have my sights on fixing a tilapia fish fillet with diced tomatoes, bokchoy, campanelle pasta, all nestled in chicken broth. Topped with some walnuts! Sounds heavenly right??

March is tough month for me. Mother passed on 5th back in 1999, Father passed 14th back in 2006. He was just a week shy of turning 80, but he was in a facility for Alzheimer's so it was a blessing. Mother passed from an aneurysm on her aorta. It was quick but she was able to write me a letter a month before essentially stating everything she wanted to say to be before she passed. My father did the same, but we found it years later. It was a letter he has written right after my parents divorced. People don't say what they mean and mean what they say, enough, especially when they are alive. So I treasure those letters.

100_2812_zpsyydefnbk.jpg
    My handsome father, us girls all around, during a reunion trip to Hawaii.

100_1332_zpsyonxoxtw.jpg
    My gorgeous momma.
    Becca Oregon
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ So sorry your day was ruined by you DB. Why in the world would it be wrong to bring your mom some things to put in the shop?

I have decided I need more Vitamin K as I seem to bleed profusely (not on blood thinners) whenever I have a cut or after that tooth extract. So, I bought some frozen kale. I have never cooked kale so if anyone has any idea how to make it palatable, please chime in.

Carol
  • babybird2016
    babybird2016 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Loving this! Need all the motivation and support I can get. I am 52 and at my halfway mark. Working on a heart healthy plant based diet...moving in that direction anyways. Need to stay focused. Some days are easier than others.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    Morning or afternoon now peeps-

CSSJ09 - thanks for the compliment.

Yesterday was a lot harder than I thought. First I took it to the local guitar place to have it roughly appraised because when u take to get shipped they ask u the value and I didn't have a clue. The guy at the guitar store asked me if I wanted to sell it, and I said no. He said roughly it was worth $300 bucks. So with he guitar case I insured it for $500. It cost $157 to ship. Jeff said he would pay me to get it shipped. When I walked to the car from the guitar place I found myself crying. I knew I was going to let it go. When I was at the UPS store I asked the lady to give me a piece of paper so I could enclose a note.. By the time I was done writing, I was crying and snot was starting to come out of my nose. Lolol... I shared my first memory of the guitar case (with the guitar inside); when Lenny and I first moved to Seattle, we didn't have much as far as furniture went and we spent most of our time in the bedroom (to keep electric costs down). When Christmas time came around, I found some big old fashioned Christmas lights in the community laundry room. I grabbed them and plugged them in and put them over the guitar case and that was our first Christmas tree. Earlier i facebooked him to tell him I shipped it and I gave him the tracking number and asked that he let me know when it arrived.

I've told him that Lenny would be so proud of him if he were to see all the accomplishments he's made. When I met him, he was a writer for rolling stone magazine, still does articles from time to time. He has published a few books. I took the pic of him that is on his first book, so my name is in there as the photographer. He's intereviewed the President and has done so much.

I now have told him about a trunk that I have of his and asking his opinion about that. That too will be hard to let go, even tho it's in the closet but I know it's there. I miss him so much, it has nothing to do with my love for Kirby but oh how I wish I could see him one more time.'
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca ~ What a beautiful family!