WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh - I know what you mean about the altitude. When we lived in NM (at 7,600 feet) the altitude was a huge adjustment. But you'll feel like Superwoman once you return to sea level!

Heather - Thank you for the book recommendation. I'm going to see if my library has "Presence." That's something I've struggled with all my life. I actively tried not to be seen as a child, and now that I'm an "old lady" I seem to be nearly invisible.

Michele - My best friend had a similar experience with learning Czech. Her grandparents spoke it at home but didn't teach her. By the time she tried to learn as adult, her grandparents were gone and it was hard to find anyone to practice with. I understand the "We speak English" mentality, but I think people would be doing their kids a favor to help them learn as many languages as possible during the period when our brains are geared up for learning language!

I had a great weekend with family. We stayed at my dad's river cottage so my husband could commute to a professional conference, so I didn't see much of him but my dad, sister, and brother in law drove up to spend the weekend with me. There's no internet access or cell signal there so I was offline, but we worked our little behinds off so I didn't worry to much about food.

Last week I got started on one of my March goals by making a meal plan for this week and doing the grocery shopping to support it. With everything that's happened over the last couple of years, I got out of the habit of planning and cooking meals, and the result is that we've been eating way, way, way too much fast food. But I'm going to try to stay organized about it this time, and we got the extra bed set out of my office so now I have ready access to the Bowflex and NordicTrack machines too. I also asked my doctor about prescribing an antidepressant and, as I suspected, she won't do it without seeing me again. I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford an appointment so for now I'm working on the more affordable parts of my plan including diet and exercise.

Happy Monday to all!

-Yvonne in TX
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    When I was young (and in the military) I was 5'6". Now, I'm slightly under 5'4". OK, maybe more like 5'2". It seems I'm getting shorter all the time. My bone density tested just fine though - even on the high side.

The doc wants me to come in at 1:30 to get checked out, and what do you know, I have not coughed in a couple of hours. It figures.

Later.

Sylvia
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yep I am in the five foot two club too--so glad there is a petite section so I don't have to spend my free time cutting and hemming pants! But it sure makes for a hard slog with calories every day.
    I agree on the Polish food being the best--it wasn't even Thanksgiving at home if my mom didn't have pierogi along with the turkey.
    Lisa good luck with all the difficult choices!
    Welcome to the new ladies--I believe someone from Edinburgh joined? We visited there back in 2008 and fell in love with that town. I live there vicariously now through Ian Rankin and Alexander McCall Smith.

Betty
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yvonne- Hooray! I am in full agreement in regards to languages. Lucky, lucky are those who have that benefit of a first or second language in the family! Yes, know some English if living in English speaking country, but don't let go of the wonderful language/culture that is yours!! AND PLEASE pass it on to your children/grandchildren. I have no grandchildren, yet, but my daughter who is fluent in French plans to pass that to her children as well as her husband's family language and culture (Spanish/Mexico). They live in Fort Worth and his family is in El Paso; while still quite a distance, it is close enough for them to see his mama often and for the future grandbabies to benefit from all she can give them. Did you know, that if I child is spoken to in another language from birth (or before birth for that matter), they will speak that language without an accent?! Well, provided the speaker doesn't have an accent. After six months of age, what their brain has learned of english or their primary language, will imprint itself on the new language and give them a slight accent. Kids brains are amazing!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my 2 mile walk. Any ideas on how to get the puppy not to go potty on the sidewalk? Of course he has to do it when everybody is watching. LOL

Janetr - thanks! You are doing fantastic with your strength training workouts! Keep up the good work. I was reading a sample of the strong women strong bones, the author of the book strong women stay young. I don't know if we can reverse are bone loss but with the strength training at least we can slow it down it sounds like according to her.

Lisa- I hope you get the interview and everything turned out well for you! From what I've read about your restaurant and book writing experiences they will be extremely lucky if they get you.

Sylvia - that always happens! I have canceled an appointment if I felt better so I didn't have to pay the co-pay. They totally understood.

Now for a short break and I will be out the door on my second walk.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    <---was 5'2" now 5'1". And I still have to shorten petites! And often they are far too high waisted, coming up to the bottom of my bra!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the 10,000 steps a day challenge. Wish me luck.

Are you doing a specific one or just with yourself? The reason I ask is because I started one today as well. Mine is through my health insurance well-being plan.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,646 Member
    Options
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hey 5'2" club, count me in as well.

barbie enjoy the homecoming, your furbabies will be so.happy to see you.

Loving the early spring for the next few days and then it is back to the coooold.

Presence sounds like a good read. I think i am already doing some of the posture work to help my stress and shoulder pain, standing tall, shoulders back, it makes a difference!

Karen from ny
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I may eventually be part of the 5'2'' club. Well I am just a little weird. My height settled at 5'5 1/2'' for many years. Then all of a sudden i was 5'6 1/4"!! Now I am 5'4''. My Mom and sister really shrunk but I don't have their spinal diseases at all! I have an appointment tomorrow at 10:15 to see my doctor's nurse practitioner.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Trailgirl – welcome

Mardill – you need to download the fitbit app to your phone or computer…

Gloria – I bet it is a birthday surprise!!! My mom’s 87 birthday is on the 9th…

Michele – yeah – the drag about stress eating is for me at least the ability to think like a grown up flies out the window!

Janetr – great!!! And to motivate her to do something is awesome too….

Suzy – I did “straw bale” gardening one time, WARNING be sure to get straw not I repeat NOT hay… hay has seeds they germinate and you get hay plants…but in my yard I called them weeds!

Lisa - could it be 5’2” and below club? … I am an even 5 feet barefoot – I do use myself as a measuring stick when there is nothing else available. Pip does the loving and trusting thing way better than I do… but thanks,

Carol -peach – roses are resilient, trim them well, feed them lightly – and you might be surprised

Cheri – you work hard to keep the communication going with your DH and having him accept that your needs are different than yours – good job for standing up for you. Our book club read it - it was a good one to think about what you’d do and an interesting one in the club as some of our members where so sure how they would have handled it was the ONLY right way.

Sylvia - get a hold of the Dr.

Pip – I cryed reading you posts about the guitar – I wish I had your inner strength. So you have mentioned Kirby’s surgery, but I am not clear what they are fixing with this one.

Linnellal – I read in one window and have a word document open in another window, so I can type notes as I go along, then cut and paste from my word doc into the reply area.

Beth and KJL - I have always been short and on the heavy side, so not a cheer flyer or cute little thing, but more shaped like a boulder…. I used to say I was just short for my weight, I was perfect weight if I was just 7 feet….LOLOLO

Yvonne – I did with occasional depression, and have financial challenges to seeing the dr. too, I have tried with great success St. John’s wort… it is at the health food store, and is not that much$$ -

So I am excited my 19 year old god daughter is home from Boston on Spring break, her mom usually limits her visiting time when the break is short, but Tuesday late afternoon till mid day wed. she is spending with me!!! And she is going to spend a week + with me over the summer and will work summer camp with me. – for the newbies I run kid’s cooking camps during the summer – this summer just 3 sessions, so she’ll help with the week that has a morning and afternoon session. That means more kids, and more $$$.... plus a whole week with her!

Kim from N. California
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    animated-dance-smiley-image-0011.gif I am doing the happy dance... because the interview went well, and even better there is NO RELOCATION necessary for people with Cisco experience. Conservatively, that will save about $50,000 across the course of an 18-month contract--as we were already adding in one flight every two weeks for my husband to come see me, and one for me to see him! Add in living expenses, an apartment, and so on, and it was not going to be cheap.

She has one more interview to do, and expects to make the decision by Thursday. Keep a good thought...

Writer's group tonight, which will be cool, and can actually talk about it, since it's not a matter of leaving town now! LOL... Off to the races, my chickens...

Lisa in West Texas
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone. I got home late last night and the pollen has been driving me nuts, sneeze sneeze sneeze! Everything is yellow from the pine pollen. I took some benadryl and slept like a rock until 5:30 when I had to get up to make my physical therapy appointment.

The PT folks are a bit confused about me. They keep asking me if it hurts, pain level etc. and it just doesn't hurt until night. It throbs at night. So they isolated the muscle that is affected and we are exploring if it might be a bone spur starting but other than some stretches nothing they have me do even slightly affects my shoulder. I have a real high pain tolerance and maybe that's the problem, they are used to folks in serious pain all the time and I am like... uh, it feels like it's stretching.... I'll go a couple more times but if there's no difference I'll just go back to life as normal. When you are used to doing rows with 30 lbs doing it with a 3 lb. weight doesn't do anything at all. I tried to explain it to them but I'm afraid they are a bit clueless about my situation. The Dr. agreed there is something wrong but I'm not sure PT is going to get to the bottom of it. I think the anti-inflamatory has done more for me than anything.

lisa - I hope the interview went well and you have a clear direction and peace about decisions you make. I've been to Ft. Stockton many times. I remember being irritated when we stopped there overnight once a couple of years back and went to Walmart and had to buy our bag... lol

Miss_Hiker_Pants - I love to hike. I grew up in the mountains of Colorado and hiking was a constant in my life. We have moved a lot around the country but it doesn't seem to matter where we are we find places to hike. Two years ago we took up scuba diving. I agreed to diving as long as we didn't give up hiking. We went to Hawaii, three days diving, three days hiking. :)

Yvonne What's amazing to me about altitude is that I grew up at 8,000 ft. in Coloardo and it never affected me. After I moved away for the first couple of years it was no problem. Now I go visit and the first day I'm sleepy and tired. I just don't acclimate quite as quickly now. I agree though, you feel like superwoman after returning to sea level. :) The college near my home town had a great cross-country track team. They won a lot of national meets just because they trained at 8,000 ft. and so when they competed at a lower altitude they had a surplus of oxygen that gave them a great advantage.

Marcelyn in Houston
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My husband is going away for a month working soon so my resolution is to focus, eat well, exercise more and lose that last couple of kilos.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Beth near Buffalo, I hear you on the feeling small thing. I'm 5'11" and have a huge crush (see what I did there! :p ) on my 6'6" trainer.
    Larisa in Seattle
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Kim -
    "Michele – yeah – the drag about stress eating is for me at least the ability to think like a grown up flies out the window."

This made me laugh, me exactly. Lol. AND thank you!

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Lisa - Dancing the happy dance with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all that cash and working from home too... that will even help with the long hours as he, the gym, the friends will all be there to be a full stress distraction when you have time.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lisa - Wow that's terrific news. Sending only good thots. So exciting.

Janetr okc
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    LisaIt sounds like you had a really good job interview. Best of luck. I really hope you get the job without having to relocate. Make THEM pay for any travel.

To all the 5'2" club members - I wish. My goal is to grow tall enough to be at least 5'. I can't count how many times that I have been speaking to someone in a party, networking or other group situation and when a third person joined us, I was left completely out of the conversation because I was well below both of the other persons' eye level. In several cases, they both just walked away still talking to each other. It took me 50 years to learn to say to someone, "let's sit down so we can really hear each other speak. " Then I pick a fairly large and empty table and let others join us sitting down.

Just like Sylvia, I feel really awful. I got walloped by some kind of bug. I guess that I must have picked it up last week when I was at the Vet home. I don't even want to exercise and went to the clinic this morning and am too tired to even work. I have to miss a meeting and emailed someone to act in my behalf. Better than spreading sneezing, coughing and wheezing. The food has all been logged ( over limits for the day) but I know that I will make up for this with extra exercise when I feel better.
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    :)