WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    smiley-sleep012.gifwe all slept better last night with Jake home. Today will be my chance to catch up on some neglected chores and do my weight training. I had hoped to be able to work in the yard, but the weather forecast is for rain on and off all day so I'll busy myself indoors except for dog walking.

<3 Barbie
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Just want to wave "Hello from the beach" before I go in for the morning session. Beautiful weather again today but just too cool of a breeze to sit on the beach. Yes, there are a ton of Yankees out there. LOL Thinking of you all and wishing you a wonderful and healthy day.

Love ya,
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yesterday I finally crossed the last item off that to-do-list I've been working on since January. It felt really good. The buzz lasted all of three minutes, until I got the participant list for the next course I'm teaching. Oh well :ohwell:

For the past two months my computer has been greeting me with a list of all the work I needed to do so I've been reading this thread mostly on my phone. Several times I've wanted to comment but didn't, because it's such a hassle on my phone. Just rest assured I've been suffering with those who have had setbacks and tragedies and rejoicing with those who have triumphed.

Now that I hopefully have time to comment I'm jumping in a few pages back - more or less at random - and taking it from there.

Kristan and Sylvia - Your two cat stories are so sad. One simply sad and the other deeply disturbing as well. My mother's favorite cat ever was a "weird" one who became severely ill and had to be put down on my mother's birthday. It was quite some time before my mother was herself again.

Margaret - I was thinking about you the other night, about how gracefully you tackle all the challenges life sends your way. Thanks for setting such a good example. :heart:

Mary - Like many others, I'm in awe of your weight training and (speaking only for myself now) envious of your toned muscles. And great going Katie! You're looking good too! I had to ease off exercise a while ago because I felt my muscles and ligaments were't recovering as they should, and I haven't managed to get going again. Speak reassuringly to me, please. And DJ, you can get your big boots out.

KJ - I know I should be impressed at your workout too, but I can't stop giggling at one of the exercises.
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Got up and got my strength training in this morning!
    1 minute of dead bug hold
    I mean, honestly, how much strength does it take to hold a dead bug for one minute? smiley-laughing014.gif (Oh, yeah, you repeated it four times, too.) smiley-laughing024.gif But seriously, what is a dead bug hold?

Larisa - I've got to try your moussaka with the yoghurt/egg mix instead of bechamel.

Heather - Congratulations are in order for you son and his family, what with the job and the houses they're selling and buying. What a relief for you (and them). You also wrote:
    I also emailed the cruise company about how easy it would be to meet up with Penny at Longyearbyen. All good. They recommended a taxi, but were quite happy with me going "off piste".
    Great to hear! I personally don't recommend a taxi. I have reason to believe both you and your husband are ambulatory. So unless your ship moors at the coal pier (which is unlikely) you're better off taking shanks mare with your local guide = yours truly. If you're in town long enough, I may also be able to borrow a car and whisk you off to "the suburbs" where I can probably locate some interesting birds. I'll be sending you a letter with some useful details like my cell phone number and so on. Just need to wait for a few practical things to gel.

Mindy - I'm sending good thoughts your way. What a heartbreaking and frustrating situation with your daughter! There's only so much a parent can do. :heart: (((Hugs))) :heart:
    barbiecat wrote: »
    s9ioa997k45a.jpg
    Here is the guy in the tree trimming branches after the big windstorm
    Barbie - I'm always astounded at the size of the trees when I visit New Hampshire, but that's nothing to how flabbergasted I am when I visit my sister in Seattle. Those things are HUGE! Combine that with what Becca wrote...
    Our neighbor across the street had a tree come down next to his house. Slammed with such force though that his whole house went off its foundation and not livable.
    ...and I think I'll stay here where the trees are only an inch tall.

Later Becca mentioned having been without electricity for 22 hours, which reminds me that someone asked how my house is heated. (Sorry, I forgot who asked). Essentially all of Longyearbyen is on water-borne heat from our power plant. The electricity comes from the power plant too, but usually a power outage is caused by problems in the distribution network. The water stays warm for quite a while. It's only if the power plant is out of commission for two days running that they have to start evacuating people. Then we will all be airlifted to the mainland.

Yeah, the US and Europe go on and off daylight saving time on different dates. I have to keep track of it because of Skyping with my parents. They're six time zones away but sometimes there's a 5-hour difference, and sometimes its 7 hours. Here in Svalbard we change time with the rest of Europe but it's totally meaningless. We move the clock ahead by one hour 27 March, which means the sun rises at 4 am instead of 3 am and nobody notices much. And just three weeks later it stops going down altogether.

Gloria, Sylvia, Marcelyn, KJ, Miriam, and Heather too - all of you who are taking care of children of various sizes - I had a great need to channel you last week, back in Stockholm. My husband and I were visiting our son and his family. Suddenly, out of the blue, our son said he'd forgotten to ask, but would we be up to taking the kids for the evening so he and his wife could go out for dinner on their own. Of course we said yes, although I felt incredibly unprepared to cook dinner, especially in someone else's kitchen. There was plenty of stuff in the freezer, but it was too late to thaw it and use it. Sure, fish sticks, but I haven't used those for about two decades, not since I made my own infinitely better fish sticks from real fish. In the end I served macaroni with pesto (the kids' favorite) and laid out the contents of my veggie snack box (which I hadn't had a chance to eat yet).
    ie0qft3e30a9.jpg
    Oh, and Debbie, that's MY suggestion for snack food. I cut up 500 g of vegetables more or less every morning and aim to eat them by the end of the day. As snacks. I can also be a stress eater from time to time, and my box of prepped veggies has saved me many a calorie.

Mom and Dad came home after the kids had gone to bed, and had had a pleasant evening where they actually talked! To each other! And said meaningful things! The next morning all was back to normal. Juno helped Dad make blueberry pancakes for breakfast.
    iqnjet3xbdea.jpg
    At breakfast, Leo said he wanted to go out and pick flowers. But there's still snow on the ground! Even the crocuses haven't come up yet! Dad solved the problem by suggesting that Leo draw some flowers that could stand up by themselves, and then he could pick them.
    his7dfhpaaml.jpg
    I've only read as far as p 34 but I'll post this now. Don't want the post to get toooooo long.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    drhs0ho1fbr2.jpg
    Good night! :heart:

How very true! :):o As I pack today to go to Chicago for a week or 2 to assist my daughter (27) mend from KNEE surgery on Monday. I think my right knee is having sympathy pains for her....I've been in and out of PT for that dang knee more times than I want to mention.

Cheri
    Sunny Fairlawn oHIo
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Well I am trying to type while on a treadmill
    I do not like coming to the gym late..to many meatheads. :/
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Riding lesson today! Yay! Indoor arenas are so useful. The weather forecast includes a glimpse of sun, plus rain and possible lightning. Inside lacks scenic beauty, but dry is very nice. :bigsmile:

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif

I have seven days of fosamax left in my prescription. I'm asking for the weekly version next time. Taking my fosamax and waiting half an hour in a seated upright position with no coffee is not my idea of a great morning routine. :noway: I can't even take the rest of my morning medicine until after the half hour passes. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Penny Thanks! It was and is a priority and commitment. I finally don't feel guilty about putting me first. I love the pictures. Great family time!

Basketball tournament today. I did half of my Kettlebell Swings this morning and will finish when we get home.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    HI – I’M BACK ………!!!!! :p

Hi all who asked where I’ve been – Internet down for a full week. I was having a fit. First day without I called ISP; and, told it’d be the following Thursday before they could send someone out here. Finally, got it up and running on desktop; but, not laptop. Had to call back and they reset it from their end.

I just can’t go back and read 680+ posts in a week. So I will be ‘lost’’ with some of it; will read and maybe some of it will be said enough to let me know what is going on with you.

DH had his cystoscopy – not a very happy camper; but, doing a lot better. Found some old scar tissue and they cut that out. He hasn’t moaned and groaned or acted like it is impossible to pee. I have the same procedure schedule for next Friday.

Cracker is so excited to be going outside with DH to play. I’ve been walking the past 3 days about 40 minutes at a pretty good clip. Hopefully, my weight will be down when I go back to weigh-in. I would post a cute clip of her 'whining' because her Human Daddy has left the house; but, figured nobody would appreciate a clip with a whining dog. DGD's (not Little Bit) and DOGD's half-sister came over last night. Cracker was so excited to see them. DOGD played a clip of barking dogs. It was funny to watch her reaction to them. Some yip-yaps, some mean sounding. She said that Cracker came down yesterday when she came home and Luna (their lab) was not at all happy when she came home and Cracker tried to get her attention. Luna lunged at her and she went into a submissive position and Luna backed off. Now she's inside crying because he left her inside because they are going to be doing a controlled burn.

Barbiecat and others – Thanks for the link to re-establish my days. I’m up to 302 days in a row now.

Lisa – I love going to garage sales and flea markets. I like watching "Flea Market Flip" to get ideas. My DDnL#1 and DDnL#2 also go to them. DDnL#2 just got finished repurposing a bed into a storage bench. She found the bed in a trash pile down the street from where she lives … she took it home for ‘free’. Big and chunky and solid wood. She has made a bench out of it. Took the footboard and cut it in half for the sides; and a piece of one of the side rails for the front of the bench; they waited and looked at it for a while and then decided to make a storage bench out of it. Sent me a picture. Looks really good. I had helped her last summer when were out there with attaching the footboard to make the sides. Big and chunky. They’ve put it out on the deck at the lake house. They’ve also put in an offer on some land; but, the owners came back with a counter-offer, they counter-offered, he countered it; and, they are not going to go there again. Man is in financial issues and they said they’d buy it from the bank instead. He was attempting to make a $10K profit on the land that he has only had 18 months. They like the land and could also rent some other land that abuts up to it, with the possibility of buying it. I think it is about 25 acres (wooded).

Joyce – I don’t know what I’d do without my C-pap. I wake up so much more ‘refreshed’ when sleeping with it. But, for some reasons I wake up feeling like ‘warmed over ….’ On weekends. Either I am dizzy or nauseous. I’ve got to remember to tell my MD that when I go to see him this week.

We have portions of roads that groups take care of in our little town as well as in Albany. The state prisoners take care of picking up the trash along the highway between, and the jailbirds take care of them in the other county. Only problem is the cotton, when they cut it, looks like trash along the side of the roads; but, doesn’t normally get picked up either.

DJ – I also love that DH washes his own work clothes, dries them, folds them, and puts them away. Taught my 2 sons how to do laundry when my DYS was about 8 years old; because he kept changing clothes 3 or 4 times a day and putting them into the dirty clothes. He still changes clothes a lot; but he also helps DDnL#2 with the laundry. He washes his clothes and she washes hers and her daughter’s. I don’t want DH to wash my clothes because he throws my ‘good’ tops into the dryer and they shrink in length. I don’t like feeling like my tummy is hanging out. I don’t like having to replace them. Bought 2 tops the other day on sale for 75% off. Looked at a ‘fur vest’; did not buy it and later in the day went back and found that somebody else had bought it. Convincing myself that it probably would not have worked out for me, maybe too short or something. I’m very long waisted. Bought another pair of ‘fitted’ pants (off white so I can wear them all year long). Bought 2 pair of shoes, on sale, and one of the clerks said that I could ‘pre-buy’ them for an additional 25% off, if I did not need them until 3/24. Hey, been without them so far, so I will pick them up on the 24th. They were already ‘on sale’, so I get an additional savings of 25% of the sales price. Love Belk’s, especially since they closed down our SteinMart a couple of years ago. I don’t pay full price for anything. Sales racks get checked first and sometimes I will buy ‘out of season’ if the price is right.

Grandmallie – Most of the time, Karma comes around when you least expect it, or no longer give a big ‘damn’. I won’t ever see it, just want to know it has come (where it comes to DH’s daughter) for what she did to his Mother before she died. She has to know that her Dad is getting older (since her Mother is about the same age). You’d ‘think’ she’d call and check on him – but, Nahda – haven’t heard from her in over 8 years. Haven’t seen her child (his granddaughter in that length of time either). What a totally waste of air space if you ask me. He specifically wrote her 'out' of his will. She got her share (more so) when his Mother died. Hope she has enjoyed herself. B****!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    morning peeps - kirby went to work and said he would be home by 11 or 12, he's back on rotation again, no more weekends off.

love the posts drkatiebug

i don't remember who posted about the good or bad knee... i thank my blessings, they are still the right and left to me.... :0)

well, gonna do 5 mi. today, not care about the speed tho, or try not to.

finally emptied out the yard waste bin so i can load it up some more when i come back with some more stuff that needs to be picked up., already 7:30am,

sorry to hear about the cat injuries, karma, that's all i gotta say.

gotta go.
    later peeps

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Alison ... I'm back at the gym and haven't lost anything yet either ... I figure my body is in shock and hanging on to the weight! I am very careful about when I go to the gym ... I call the meatheads muscle monkeys....

Lisa ... Great buy on the counter! I love garage and estate sales, but am limiting my time right now until I get the house better organized.

Lenora ... You're back! :smiley:

Penny ... Very clever dad response with the flower picking ...

Inspired by your workout stats, I made a point of learning all the names of the machines I used at the gym ... But forgot which weights I used ... Sigh

Saw my old trainer yesterday ... Sort of embarrassing after I've put weight back on. He's now a college football coach and not doing the personal training thing anymore...

The next 10 days will be challenging ... Older son's personal care aides took vacation ... All on the same week?? ... So many gaps in his staff that I've brought him home. When I was doing all the care and transferring all the time it was no problem, but my body has forgotten what it used to do and I get tired more quickly now. We'll get through it ...

Have a good weekend!
    Beth near Buffalo
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Penny at the Pole, Google "dead bug exercise." You will be amazed.

And y'all thought picking up blueberries was funny.......

So now we know...to strengthen your core, you must pick up blueberries and hold dead bugs.

Oh, the visuals....
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    well I am back from the gym, took my shower there, but of course helping Tom lug all the branches he chopped off my lilac bushes, im betting they wont bloom this year after that :(
    well got even more exercise our neighbor on the next street got a rescue, looks like a whippet mix, and she was barreling around very skitterish and wouldn't come to anyone ,took off on her.. so Tom and I trying to corner her was interesting.. we finally got her into our fenced in area, and Tom hooked her to the leash for Jackie and off they went.. we did our good deed for the day, of course us being the animal lovers we are .. we would have done nothing less.. Im over 12,000 steps today and I am starving.. but wont eat anything until dinner tonight, did have a cup of tea and 100 calorie pack of walnuts and almonds...
    hold on a minute picking up blueberries and hold dead bugs? what the heck did I miss?
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Good morning all!
    I haven't been on the scale since February 9 because that's when I went off the rails and decided that I didn't need to know how much weight I probably gained. More negative stuff in my life was just not what I needed. After about a month I decided that I could not continue on this path and gain the weight back that I had worked so hard to lose. I loved my new body and decided I would fight for it. Over the course of a couple of weeks I slowly got back in the groove, not fully but 80% right now. Yesterday I decided that I was going to get on the scale this morning to see where I was and formulate a game plan. I was thrilled to discover that I am .4 lbs. less than I was on February 9 and only 1.4 lbs. from my goal weight. PHEEEEEEEEW!!!! I know that all of you have helped keep me in check although you were probably not aware of it. Thanks!

Had a good breakfast, followed by a little elliptical then 1-1/2 mile walk with Jake. Poor boy doesn't seem to be able to manage much more than that anymore :'( . He will get a bath this afternoon and then I may do some spring cleanup in the yard. St. Patrick's Day party tonight so I will be enjoying some food and drink. We love to celebrate St. Patrick 's Day here in Boston. Tomorrow I'm supposed to have a first date with someone I met online. He's supposed to call to arrange it this afternoon. I'm not too hopeful, the last date I was supposed to have with someone cancelled the day before because the temperature was going to be really cold....Really! It wasn't as though we're going to go swimming, it was a dinner date! It's a good thing he doesn't live where Penny does, he would forever be single. He never rescheduled which was fine by me, because I would have had to make an excuse not to see him again, that sort of man is definitely not for me.

Gotta get moving, lots to do today.
    Everyone have a great day.
    Chris in MA
    PS...some of you may not know that Jake is my beloved rescue dog. I may post a picture of his handsome self after his bath if he's not to pissed at me.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Beth - it will be over in a week! ((((HUGS)))))

Penny - The reason I emailed the company is that it specifically states that we are not allowed outside the town unless with a guide (with a rifle). I wondered whether they would just let me off at my own volition. I think it will be fabulous to meet up with you and get a personal historical/ ecological tour with you as opposed to an erzats husky ride. :noway: I want the insider gen. I am now on a 31 day streak with Duolingo :D I can say, "Many actors are unemployed and on benefits, but they are drinking beer and love their women." For Svalbard I can say, "The bears are beyond the trees and the firemen are inside the church, but they don't like drinking tea with the priest. They want to see the sun on the hospital steps. "
    I watched a Norwegian film this pm and understood more of it with the subtitles. KING OF DEVIL'S ISLAND. Excellent!
    Lovely pics of the grandchildren. :love: My DS ( of the house move) is expecting his 3rd on Monday, by Caesarian. Just another small complication. We hope to go and see the new arrival on Thursday. Then we're geared up for duty.

The man who is going to prune the wisteria (a ladder job) came this morning. He is going to power wash the large patio and the table etc. It does seem very expensive. I blenched a bit, but will go ahead. Then I got some royalties from the Authors Licensing and Collecting Society and it doesn't seem so bad. :laugh: You can't take it with you.

Love to all. Heather UK

PS - In Norwegian I can say "I am an author. I am poor." But it sounds like I AM GETTING FAT. I AM A FATTY." :noway: :laugh:
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Chris- I'm so excited for you! What a relief to be right where you should be. Now you know you can be successful on maintenance! Good luck on your date. You will have to let us know how it goes.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! Happy Saturday! I went to bed early last night and slept in this morning giving me a whopping 10 hours of sleep! That feels so good! I got in a walk early, only my second five miler since the snow has melted; but my first since this cold bug has gotten me. That also felt so good! Did only a 3 minute plank for strength today. Allie and Penny- a dead bug pose is basically the ab crunch pose on your back, you hold the crunch position and add the tiniest bit of rocking motion. You will definitely feel your abs in this! Although I remember the blueberry reference quite well, I will let Katie explain that one! LOL!
    Lenora- So good to see you back! No internet sucks! Especially when you are keeping up with MFP check ins and posts. What is this about being able to re-establish days? BArbie- can you pass that link?
    Allie- You have been a busy, lots of stepping woman! I love the story of chasing down the neighbor's dog!
    Heather- So much good news on your son finding his house, landing his job, etc. It sounds like you and your DH are getting your spring clean up and "fixing" of home done or planned! Lots to do. You used a phrase describing your son's house...what was it..."slip twixt cup and lip"?What does that mean?
    Penny- LOL! I am laughing at your version of daylight savings! I never really thought of the effect in places closer to the poles. Looks like your grandkids are having a great time!
    DJ- That is a beautiful sunrise photo of the beach! I am sure you love those moments before it is overrun with tourists. My town is the same way. Once the warmer weather hits, the beaches, boardwalk, and downtown area are packed. As a local, I know where to go for "private" beach time. One of the bonuses of being local. I bet you know a few spots, too!
    Miriam- Oh my! Be careful with the garden/yard work! Isn't it amazing how soon we forget what a couple hours of yard work will do to us?! I am sure my turn is coming. I am going to try to get a jump on it this weekend and do a little at a time.
    Chris in MA- Whoot! Successful loss for you! Doing the happy dance with you! Does Boston have their St. Patrick's Parade on the day, or are they having it this Saturday or next Saturday? Grand Rapids (the closest bigger city) had their parade this morning. I have a new recipe for Corned Beef and cabbage! It bakes in a brown sugar and Guinness bath. Hope it turns out well. Good luck with your date with the "mystery man".
    Pip- Congrats to Kirby on the 9:4ish time for the race! Way to get it done! And what is up with you...slacker! Not wanting to take that bike ride??!! Just kidding! You can out run, ride, and lift me any day! A slacker? You? No way!

Well, I guess it's time to get something done around the house...Hmmmm...maybe I can incorporate yard work into my daycare day...maybe if I tell them we are playing "camping" I can get them to pick up all of the sticks and branches in the yard...I could also get all of the rocks cleared out of the rock bed where I want to plant lily of the valley, if I call it "excavators" and let the kids use the Tonka trucks to move the rocks...lol...Don't know if this means I am lazy or desperate to keep the kids busy and tired out!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    KJ- I have Lilly of the Valley all over my yard. However, I found out that it is poisonous to dogs. Have you or anyone else ever had an issue with a dog wanting to eat it?

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Checking in... I have been down twice now with the flu!! this is not right :(

Have a great weekend all

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    A couple of pictures - all told, I ended up spending about $70, and for that, ended up with over a hundred children's books, a 1937 copy of Emily Post, and a few other books; a table to refinish and resell; a bookcase headboard, with built-in lights, that we're going to turn into a workbench for my husband; a youth-sized bed frame to refinish and resell; a number of other bits and bobs; and the following, as well:

Two ladderback chairs - the seats are in perfect condition, and the wood just needs a light sand and a good furniture oil. They were $5 apiece, a few hours work, and I can probably sell them for five times that, if not more.

y1znv7vp7wle.jpg

Three fine china sugar-creamer sets that I can probably sell for twice what I paid, this is just one set:

7kg6rob8n40u.jpg

Bowls created in Oregon (this should sound familiar to Pip and Becca) created from myrtle. They, too, just need some gentle sanding and refinishing with furniture oil.

dya32cpqcsnz.jpg

I had my truck stacked up to the point where I looked like the Beverly Hillbillies, or the Joads, if you're familiar with the reference...

p6ryn4opkngn.jpg

Fun morning, one of my favorite sports! Only 4,000 steps, so I have to go for a run and get a few more steps in and break a sweat...
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think it will be fabulous to meet up with you and get a personal historical/ ecological tour with you as opposed to an erzats husky ride. :noway: I want the insider gen. I am now on a 31 day streak with Duolingo :D I can say, "Many actors are unemployed and on benefits, but they are drinking beer and love their women." For Svalbard I can say, "The bears are beyond the trees and the firemen are inside the church, but they don't like drinking tea with the priest. They want to see the sun on the hospital steps. "
    My DS ( of the house move) is expecting his 3rd on Monday, by Caesarian. Just another small complication. We hope to go and see the new arrival on Thursday. Then we're geared up for duty.
    PS - In Norwegian I can say "I am an author. I am poor." But it sounds like I AM GETTING FAT. I AM A FATTY." :noway: :laugh:
    Heather - I want to go back and continue commenting from page 34 but I couldn't resist responding to this immediately.

Husky ride - we were out at a friend's weekend cabin this afternoon and saw no fewer than 8 teams of dogsleds pass by on the road then up the slope to the kennel. They ersatz husky rides use carts with wheels and stay on the road, but they DO get you out of town.

Insider gen - You bet you're going to get the insider gen! Let me know the time frame for your furlough ashore and I'll put something together.

The Norwegian language - If you replace "actors" with "miners" (gruvearbeidare) and cut the bit about benefits you can use the first sentence in Svalbard too (beer and women and all). In the second one, you'll have to change "beyond the trees" to "beyond the fjord" or "beyond the mountains" because talking about anything being beyond the trees is irrelevant. (Those puny things!) Lastly, the reason the firemen don't like drinking tea with the priest is they all prefer coffee. The priest is a great guy!

I'm aware that you've got a family event coming up on Monday. I'll be keeping all my fingers crossed for you all!

Have a nice evening, fattig forfatter :p