WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Replies

• tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    edited March 2016
    barbiecat wrote: »
    No motivation today. Plan was to hit the ground running. Not so much. Only laundry and taxes done. Did take the dog for a small walk. She has some hip issues so the length of the walk depends on where she is at with that.

Suppose to go to bday party tonight really don't want to go. All I keep thinking is going by myself and feeling sorry for myself. Probably part of lack of motivation today.

Lenora glad to see you back. Was wondering where you had been since I normally see a post from you everyday.

Anne from Wisconsin

You have a full time job all week, so getting laundry and taxes done on Saturday is a major accomplishment for Saturday along with walking the dog.

It took me until I was way past 50 to figure out that I don't like parties...I don't do well at small talk and I want to stay away from recreational eating, so I decline invitations to parties and feel better for having done so. I just say that I am not available to go.

Thanks for making me not feel so lazy. Getting ready for the party My daughter said she is going now so at least I won't feel so alone. We are driving separately so either one of can go when want. Going outside my comfort zone tonight so I guess that is good. Was really good with food the last couple of days. (Remember I am a non stress eater) So if I get to stressed to eat I should be ok. So going and going to try and have a good time. Positive attitude here I come. Lol

Anne from Wisconsin
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    well peeps,
    i kept telling myself, do 5miles, do 5miles, do 5miles... sometimes when i get to the gym, i may not end up doing what i planned at all but will do something else. since kirby ran 4miles and i did it with him, i would do the next thing had he been with me and that would have been 5 miles. the 1st mile is always the hardest for me, it gets easier as you keep going ESPECIALLY if you have good music to listen to. as i have said b4, i have playlists for different things, beat jogging is for that, running and i have to run to the beat of the song that i'm listening to. the last mile i took my ankle weights off and was surprised that i could feel the difference. went to the hot tub and i was talking to this guy and i don't know what we were talking about and i mentioned my age (because it was relevant to the conversation) he stopped me and said, no, really? he thought i was early 40's and said that my husband was very lucky. i don't take compliments well and said thank you and continued the conversation but as i was driving home, i found that i was smiling.

but anyway, today was one of those days that i wanted to stop at 2 miles and do something else, then i said 3 to myself, then i said, oh what the hell, only 2 more miles. then i found after that, did something else, then something else. the point of me telling you this is NO MATTER how much you want to stop, just keep going, you'll be glad u did.
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Trees...well the lovely local electric company went down the street and lopped off/disfigured most of the trees on the street recently. That was bad enough but today when we went out to do the first day of yard work we discovered that one of the branches they kept on was still sawed part way through! So now we have to complain but the damage is done. This beautiful maple with glorious yellow leaves in the fall...
    Wondering if we should be starting to plan for a new tree in the middle of the yard so five years from now when there is nothing left of the lovely tree we have another in adolescent stage ready to go. Of course I do not think we will be here five years from now... This yard is too big for people in their dotage to handle.
    Otherwise it was a beautiful day to be outside...hope my back will not complain later on.
    Betty

271572efw6p0mm9j.jpg I love trees. We live in a neighborhood filled with 100+foot tall evergreen trees. Many have been cut down since we lived here and every time I am heartbroken even though I know that they have been cut down for reasons of safety. I share your sadness at the trees on your street being cut down :'(

<3 Barbie

It is so said to see a big tree being removed. I have a huge oak in front of my house. It has had some issues the last couple of years. Hoping the city does not just to decide to get rid of it. Kids in the neighborhood sit under it for shade during the summer. I enjoy listening to them out there talking. They can be do funny at times. The innocence of youth.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    well peeps,
    i kept telling myself, do 5miles, do 5miles, do 5miles... sometimes when i get to the gym, i may not end up doing what i planned at all but will do something else. since kirby ran 4miles and i did it with him, i would do the next thing had he been with me and that would have been 5 miles. the 1st mile is always the hardest for me, it gets easier as you keep going ESPECIALLY if you have good music to listen to. as i have said b4, i have playlists for different things, beat jogging is for that, running and i have to run to the beat of the song that i'm listening to. the last mile i took my ankle weights off and was surprised that i could feel the difference. went to the hot tub and i was talking to this guy and i don't know what we were talking about and i mentioned my age (because it was relevant to the conversation) he stopped me and said, no, really? he thought i was early 40's and said that my husband was very lucky. i don't take compliments well and said thank you and continued the conversation but as i was driving home, i found that i was smiling.

but anyway, today was one of those days that i wanted to stop at 2 miles and do something else, then i said 3 to myself, then i said, oh what the hell, only 2 more miles. then i found after that, did something else, then something else. the point of me telling you this is NO MATTER how much you want to stop, just keep going, you'll be glad u did.

:)<3:p

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    Pip- great job! I love how you and Kirby workout together.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    Hi gals,

My mom is visiting for 4 days! Friday – Monday --- love that I still have her, but she is a job --- demanding that she is not demanding – in that she’ll say I’m easy to have as a guest, you don’t need to take me anywhere – but she wants to sit next to me and me to think of thing to talk about for 8-10 hours!!!!!!!!!!! The good thing about this time, is I already had planned a garden tour to a home and garden called Filoli in Woodside, CA with my garden club – so she is coming and that is all day tomorrow, I’m glad we will have something fun to do..

Alison – I was laughing I have not heard anyone use the term meathead since archie bunker!!!

Chris – hope the date goes well!

KJL – camping picking up stitch and excavators – sounds like creative good parenting to me.

Anne – so it has been 15 ish years since I have had a date, and he ditched me 70 miles from home…. But just start going by yourself, pick an amount of time you have to stay (45min – maybe) and if you are not having fun you can leave, if you are having fun just stay… getting out is the best medicine.

Janetr – beautiful tree, but wow ! for your daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trailgirl – you are in the spirit and will do this!!!! Baby steps!

Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    Kirby doesn't work tomorrow and he just said that he was going to do 5 mi, since I did that today does that mean I should do 6 tomorrow?
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    What a day! Hubby and I took the grandkids to Kansas City to that support group meeting. For nearly three hours we sat and talked to a dozen or so people who have the same illness as my son, along with their caregivers, spouses, and relatives. It was really, really interesting. We've never met anyone before who has it. We heard about some different medical options and treatments, like a vest that hooks up to a compressor and massages the chest to break up congestion. Three drug company representatives were there, and they had some good input. I'm really glad we went. And the kids were SO good! At the end the entire room gave them a round of applause for being so well behaved.

Afterwards, we surprised them with a stop at an indoor trampoline park. They had a blast! Then to Krispy Kreme to watch donuts being made before coming home.

The cleaning lady who agreed to come today backed out, which was annoying.

As soon as we got back into town my son called and said not to bring the kids home right away because his wife's tiny little dog had just passed away. Poor little thing was old and frail. So, he had to decide what to do with it before we came upstairs. That was sad.

The lady in charge of the support group had a double lung transplant a year ago and she said it changed her life 100%. She offered to come down to our little town to visit with my son. That was very sweet.

We got home in time to walk the dogs before dark, then had leftovers for dinner. I'm pooped.

Goodnight everyone.

Sylvia
  • pipcd34
    I love the jewel tree!
  • fanncy0626
    10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat- 3x7x25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 34x15x25 = 510

Day 12 Challenge Total- 4,795

Walking challenge- 5.5 miles

I am almost half way to my goal! Yay!! I will start to step it up by adding sets of heavier weights.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Just a pop in to tell y'all what I did today. I had a huge to-do list and was plowing my way through it. I finished the task that said vacuum upstairs, carefully tossed the vacuum cord down the steps away from the bannister, then safely made it down the steps only to crack my head open when I bent over to stow the vacuum cord. Both children said that my pupils were uneven so I suspect I have a mild concussion. Just what I need!! Stuff like that happens only to me!! Needless to say, my list didn't get finished. Ice and rest for most of the afternoon and evening.

For inquiring minds...I told boring date from last week that it wasn't going to work out so that is done. Fun date and I texted until midnight last night. He has his 11-year-old daughter every other weekend and this weekend is her turn with him. I think I might really like this guy. We're taking it nice and slow and just seeing where it goes.

The boy child spent the week in FL for spring break and came home this afternoon. He had a good time other than his phone went for a dip in the Gulf and he has to buy a new one when he got back.

I was planning to marinate some chicken today to be grilled tomorrow, but my headache said no. I did get a pot roast done and the girl child stopped on her way home from work to test it out. It passed!

I hope everyone has a good evening and rests well. I'm suffering from a lack of sleep and am headed to bed.

Carol in gorgeous NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,787 Member
    Hello ladies: DD and I had a shopping day today. We are trying to sort out pastures for the horses so they can be moved from one to another and let grass rest and grow in between use. We bought drain pipe for the barn, stuff to repair a hole in the roof of one shelter, two new gates for the paddock and new fencing to divide the largest pasture. We had quite an adventure getting 3 16' fence panels into the pickup and then back out at home but finished to a rainbow. Tomorrow we will start working on our projects. Have been on prednisone 3 days now and breathing is slightly easier but still will not be singing at choir tomorrow.

Sylvia - Sounds like the meeting was well worth while.

Katla - Good for you getting in sync with that canter. I am currently reading a book called "Riding through Thick and Thin" by Folse. It is very good.

Must go. DH has dinner ready. Sue in WA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :):'( Carol in NC.....your day had good news and bad....you were smart to stop and rest after head crash...hope you feel better.

<3 Barbie
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Thanks, Barbie. We had a horrible ice storm 25 years ago that took
    down many trees and it was years before the last big pile of chips and branches was gone from the region. Trees sounded like gunshots as they snapped. I will never forget it--no power for six days, having to move small children to friends' houses to stay warm, everywhere the roads were a mess and houses and cars were damaged.
    I will say that when a storm like that happens emergency crews come from hundreds of miles away to help and they become local heroes. That is about the only upside--that people pull together. So I also love trees and hate to see them ripped up, torn down or mangled in any way. But I understand when they need to be taken down or pruned because of disease. And I understand the need for safety but I think they are overzealous.
    Intelligent pruning is not what happened to our maples this time.
    And get this--the company that did this is the same company we paid a couple of years back to prune intelligently to help save one of these same trees! The power company outsources to them. Argh! Would we want to hire them again even if they did a good job when we paid them?
    Betty
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Kim - thank you. The tree is for my 48 year old niece. She sent the jewery home wifh me and asked me to do it for her. This is the niece whose son died last month.

Janetr okc
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    B)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Did 45 minutes of an Intense Burn DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a pilates DVD

Made a beef roast for Vince for next week. I'll probably have something else while he has the beef. I'm just not a big beef eater. Then I fried some more chicken breast patties for me to have. Now I'm starting to make the first of three layers for the bottom layer of the wedding cake. I didn't like the way the first one came out so I'm going to give it to the soup kitchen. There's nothing wrong with it, I just didn't like the way it came out.

Penny - you're not the only one who is envious of Mary's toned muscles!

Lenora - good luck on your procedure. Glad dh is doing better. Sales racks are my go-to. I only buy something full price if I absolutely need it and/or absolutely love it and need it. You know, thrift stores aren't bad places, either

Sorry to dump on you all but I'm having a bit of a pity party. I know this isn't something big, certainly not like Sylvia's dealing with. But Denise just called to ask about this sweatshirt that she was going to get for Pete's mother's birthday. She was prepared to spend $38 for a sweatshirt (that's not including shipping and handling) when her own mother doesn't even get a lousy $2.99 card for her birthday. Was doing so well, then had to have some fudge. Am trying to salvage the rest of the day.

drkatiebug - thank you for the smile. I REALLY needed it right now.

Chris - what a great surprise! You'll have to tell us all about your date

Lisa - great finds!

Betty - we had 3 great sugar maples on the front lawn when we were in Stroudsburg. The kids would love to climb them. You guessed it. I had the electric company make them into lollipops, but they were never the same. Gave a great amount of shade.

janetr - lovely tree. You must be so proud of your daughter

trailgirl - you are doing it real well, baby steps and you'll get it.

Becca - don't you just hate it when you get TOM with such long breaks? I was that way for a few years then one year I got it real heavy, almost like a regular period. I went to the MD because I wasn't getting them that heavy for years. He said "it's just your body's last hurrah". And he was right!

NCCarol - oh no, girlfriend (the bump)! Feel better fast. Great that you're doing so well with this guy. Wasn't the weather just gorgeous today?

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I love the jewel tree!

Thanks, Pip. I wonder if making it burned 1,000 calories. Ha!!!

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    Michele -Thanks! Just wait you're going to see the same results with weight training.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Michele thank you. Yes, I am very proud of my daughter. I guess you can tell by my bragging. Lol. She was in an abusive marriage for almost 15 years. She finally got out of it and has worked hard to make positive changes for herself and kids.

Janetr okc