WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Welcome Wendy I think I started thinking about taking care of myself when I hit the big 5-0, but I didn't really get serious until health issues starting knocking me down hard and fast. Just keep at it, things will improve with your eating and moving, baby steps.

Had a lovely window shopping experience with dd looking at prom dresses, she's never been a difficult "gimme" kind of kid, she knew what she liked, pretty modest and flattering but also concerned about keeping the costs down to a manageable range since she is paying for the entire affair. Level headed kid....I just have to remember to be grateful! Will post a pic when she get the dress altered (she is a size 00, can you even imagine!)

i am in a funk, but there's no use whining, I will just have to get on with life. Getting no sleep due to the meds I'm taking for the crud and facing a big event-filled week at work, ah well, I think I can just push myself through it!

Karen from NY
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bibia2418 wrote: »
    I am so worried about becoming obsessive and losing my motivation. Today, I have a busy afternoon and evening ahead. Tomorrow, I am taking a day trip with a friend to Oklahoma City. Sometime this week, I am going to Dallas for an overnight trip. Then on Friday/Saturday, it's supposed to get cold again and rain/snow mix so I can't go outdoors. I won't be able to resume my routine until at least Sunday. I have been so motivated and want to get healthy and I want it yesterday LOL! How can I not lose my momentum, motivation and success? I don't want to slack off and go back to my former habits?

Can you maybe just try to look at it one meal at a time? If you go out to eat, try to make one healthy choice - choose water over a soft drink, veggies over pasta or potatoes, salad as a side, etc. Even choosing something like fruit or sherbet over a rich, gooey dessert helps. Then, celebrate those victories! If you make a healthy choice, pat yourself on the back for it. It feels so good to have a little victory and makes you want to have more. You can do this! And if you backslide a little, tell yourself it's ok and you'll do better next time - use it as motivation.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @KJLaMore ~TOM stands for Time Of Month.. lol Of course there is Aunt Flo but that is kind of silly... lol

Becca
  • Annr
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota~ Ok I am visualizing this for me. Mr. Bear approaching me and I meekly state, "Hold still, so I can pepper spray you on the snout". I would be a hopeless outdoorswoman...When I was a little girl during the summer I remember vividly stepping outside, seeing a bug and screaming, then seeing another bug and screaming. Finally I would just come inside and cry. I am a lot better now. When I see a spider, as long as it is below me, I can slap it with my husbands flip flop. Otherwise I have to spray it with something, ANYTHING so it can drop down. I have been known to spray bugs with Fabreeze until they let loose of the ceiling!!
    Becca
    A wee bit OCD when it comes to Bugs
    in Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,689 Member
    Options
    afternoon again, I am having some chamomile tea.. and haven't even gotten 5,000 steps in today.. just laying low... really want to get to the gym tomorrow so will go to bed early... just off the phone with my elderly friend Ruth up on Cape Cod.. she is on one nursing home, husband in another.. she wants to talk to me alone about finances ,but will have Doris there and she doesnt feel comfortable talking with her there.. I dont want to get into the middle of anything.. they took out a reverse mortgage on there home about 15 yrs ago and I dont know who and how they are paying there bills now... I am to far away to do much, they really should have a conservator to handle this stuff, but Lord she is a stickler about stuff.. she just sounds so worn out,, she will be 89 this august and how she has gotten this far is beyond me.... We will need a day in between while we are up there to de compress as it is tough trying to deal with all that..
    Becca~ would love to fall asleep in hubbys arms but that doesnt happen,, we still share the same bed, but it is usually a dog I cuddle or my little ladybug pillow pet..
  • Annr
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Anne from Wisconsin~ My rule of thumb is sometimes its better to eat the real thing, than try to copy it. So you ate bacon...it happens. Normally when I wish bacon, I cook one slicing it in half, because my awesome pan is small. Other times I fry bacon for my sons favorite meal of chicken fried rice. Then I have bacon drippings left over, and I use a tsp to fry eggs in, as a treat. Or I saute' some zucchini in a tsp of bacon drippings. Or I add it to olive oil when I make a pot of soup....
    Becca
    Bacon Babe in
    Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    I am so worried about becoming obsessive and losing my motivation. Today, I have a busy afternoon and evening ahead. Tomorrow, I am taking a day trip with a friend to Oklahoma City. Sometime this week, I am going to Dallas for an overnight trip. Then on Friday/Saturday, it's supposed to get cold again and rain/snow mix so I can't go outdoors. I won't be able to resume my routine until at least Sunday. I have been so motivated and want to get healthy and I want it yesterday LOL! How can I not lose my momentum, motivation and success? I don't want to slack off and go back to my former habits?

1461351h0otf8hco5.gifI am quite obsessive about walking. I put my pedometer in my pocket the minute I get dressed and put it back on the counter in the bathroom last thing before I go to bed. If I haven't reached my step goal by bedtime, I walk back and forth in the house until I get the right number. I have a great weather resistant coat with a hood and I walk in the rain. If I'm going on a trip, I get up early to walk before leaving and find opportunities to walk around during breaks and when I reach my destination.....so if you don't want to lose your momentum and motivation, begin to look for opportunities to walk a bit wherever you are. Stay focused on your goal and do a little more each day to reach it.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • Annr
    Options

Just evaluate the meals you eat on an individual basis. Honor what you have done so far. Being active and having a lot of social things going on is not an excuse to backslide. Don't settle for crap that won't fuel your body. Know that respecting yourself and fueling yourself with great stuff takes perseverance!

We gain weight because our heads make food decisions that ignore what our bodies want.

You got this! *getting out my mental pom-poms* 2-4-6-8 who do we apre-ci-ate! Our bodies!
    (ok I was never a cheerleader... lol) that didn't rhyme or nothing.....

Becca
    mentally doing a cartwheel because in my head I CAN
    in Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    stats for the day-
    jog- 57.51min, 5.5-8.1sp, 138ahr, 160mhr, 3mi w/1# ankle weights, 3mi w/o weights, 9.38ap, 6mi = 595c

kinda depressing when i think that i only burn on an average 80-100 calories a mile :0/

kirby did his 5 mi @ 9.29mi mi, not bad!!!, i did my 6
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    @KJLaMore ~TOM stands for Time Of Month.. lol Of course there is Aunt Flo but that is kind of silly... lol

Becca

then there is my preferred, on the rag
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    stats for the day-
    jog- 57.51min, 5.5-8.1sp, 138ahr, 160mhr, 3mi w/1# ankle weights, 3mi w/o weights, 9.38ap, 6mi = 595c

kinda depressing when i think that i only burn on an average 80-100 calories a mile :0/

kirby did his 5 mi @ 9.29mi mi, not bad!!!, i did my 6

550452sulha8orwd.gif I am extremely impressed with your running success
  • Annr
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »

Becca

then there is my preferred, on the rag

Becca Story Time~
    Once there was a girl named Becky that was shipped off to Grandmothers house because her parents decided to take a trip with their friends to Hawaii, and her sister was off in Europe singing with her choir. Grandmothers house was fairly entertaining with the tree's out back, and the neighbors pool, but Becky was mega stressed out! You see, she was having her period for the second time in her life! The first time she thought she was dying, so at least death wasn't part of the stress. Her dear Grandmother bought her a box of MAXI PADS about at tall as she was, and her Grandma told her the HORRORS of what being on "the Rag" meant when SHE was a lassie. Her Dear Grandmother told her how to use the MAXI PADS, and Becky promptly used the whole box up in a day....The End.

hahahahahahahahaha!
    (oh she was MAD too....what do you MEAN I have to use the pad until its really used.....EWWWWW)

Becca
    the dramatic one as a child...
    in Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Kristan- I used a 10 pound weight plate from my weight set. I did single arm swings. Then I went up to a 25 pound Kettlebell and did double arm swings.

Becca- Lol! The pepper spray can go 15 feet focused stream. This is an example of what I have to be on the watch for.

1bqpqj3ch8my.jpeg
    x980k4r03679.jpeg

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota~ EEEEKKKKK! Oh Hell no...I'm outta there....
    Becca
    mentally running
    in Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    it's windy like crazy outside and raining... so, what does kirby do?, mow the lawn of course
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Karen, I had a system when my girls were teenagers for them to have spending money. And it was to be spending money for clothes only. We provided them with coat, underwear and shoes, all the necessities. As a nurse, I often worked a lot of overtime. Overtime at that point in my life was time and 1/2. So I looked at my pay stub to see how many hours OT I had and multiplied it my my oT pay. I knew taxes were taken out so I divided that amount of money by 3. 1/3 went to taxes and the other 2/3 was theirs. Now I have no idea how much went for taxes, that's just the formula I did in my mind to give them spending money. Christina would spend it as quick as I gave it. Michelle was quite different. We would go from store to store, up and down a mall and then to another mall. I probably spent the equivalent of her 1/3 just on gas. Along with this I made them balance their checking account since their money went into a checking account shared with me. So they learned how to write a check and how to balance it. As far as clothes went, I never said no to any particular style. But when they looked in the mirror, both of them would see how bad they looked in that leather mini shirt and put it back. I was quite proud of how we all handled it. DH didn't approve of it at first but when he saw how mature they were in their decisions, he was in agreement. He just never understood why I bought a winter coat for them.

On the one night that I needed to get to sleep at a decent time, my brain wouldn't shut down. My secret is to be able to pop in the shower as soon as I get up. So I did that and was able to get to church. I had been 2 weeks since I had been to choir practice and didn't know what we were singing so I didn't sing in the choir. Plus that would have made me get to church 15 minutes earlier. But i think it's good for choir members to sit out one time. You can enjoy your own choir. And did they sound good. There were 8 women and 6 men but I guess it's good acoustics. And I did know the song and could have sung it.

Made a crock pot chicken recipe last night that Charlie said was so rich he could hardly eat it. I should have had it over noodles but didn't realize it until it was done. 6 chicken breasts, can of cream of mushroom soup, packet of ranch dressing mix, 1/2 cup water, 8 oz phili cream cheese. Used the low fat, low sodium equivalents. It was so good. But I could hardly taste the chicken. My daughter said I should of used her vegetti and made zucchini squash noodles.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,689 Member
    Options
    well I took a bath and took some coraciden and will go to bed early.. here is hoping that knocks it out.. usually nyquil works but dont want to be foggy while going to the gym...
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    joyce As my dd is an only, we were careful not to spoil, her summer job $$ means she pays for her fun, trips as well as prom....like both of her grandmothers , she loves a bargain, which makes me proud!

Just finished making red lentil soup with lemon, delish!!! It is my staple for bringing to lunch every day. My go to snack will be apples and peanut butter....now if only i had a plan for dinners!?!? :o
    Karen from ny
  • pipcd34
    Options