WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Dkatiebug – Don’t know what the ‘dead big exercise’ is; but, just thinking it might be about like ‘spider falling on you’ or the ‘run into a spider web dance’.

Grandmallie – I missed it, too! I’m so far behind for a week without the Internet, that I just picked up on yesterday reading and posting. So happy to get my service back.

Heather – My big jasmine vine over an arch got pushed over by the wind last week, DH has now tied it up and anchored it to the cypress tree in the back yard; high enough that he won’t hit his neck on it when he mows the yard. I’m glad that it did not break the big vine.

KJL – If you miss checking into myfitnesspal, at least once daily; your days that you have posted your ‘successive’ days goes back to zero. I found that out when I could not get online while out at my son’s house this past summer. When my Internet went out, it started me over at one; and I was up to 300 and something. Barbiecat has the link to it and it is easy to reset. I’m missed all of you this past week. Started walking around the farm for exercise. Hopefully, this will help with the lbs I have put back on over the past month. It’s like I’ve hit a wall and bounced back 3 steps or more. But, nurse/MD says that she isn’t worried; my fat % has gone down; and my muscle % has gone up. But I was getting so close to my goal and it sort of hit me hard.

Mary from Minnesota – Cracker has to check everything out by putting it in her mouth. Lily of the Valley’s don’t have a pleasant smell to them (none that I have ever been around) so maybe you dog won’t eat any of them. Chocolate and raisins (especially) and I am sure grapes are very poisonous to animals. Chocolate will make them very sick; DOGD said that when she was volunteering at a vet’s office while in college; they had a dog that had eaten raisins and emergency surgery to remove them (they are dried grapes – and the stomach would swell up as they did). If your sweet Shep gets ahold of raisins … get him to a vet. So many things are poisonous to our pets that we eat all the time. Not the 'only' reason that Cracker does not get fed table scraps. Any meat that he eats needs to be cooked and NOT raw ... because they get the taste of blood in their mouth and it will make them more aggressive to other animals.

Lhannon – My DDnL#2 has made a wonderful bench out of a bed frame that she picked up out of someone’s trash. I had helped her attached the sawed in half footboard to the headboard when we were out there this past summer. They could not decide if they wanted to make it a bench or a storage bench. They decided on a storage bench. They are supposed to be extending their deck (uncovered) so she can get some sun when they stay out there and he is working … so she doesn’t have to stay inside. She is always doing something. They are trying to find some land so they can build a house. Found some; but, the guy is trying to stick it to them. It is about to go into foreclosure and she said rather than making another counter-offer to him, they’ll just wait until the bank takes it from him and deal with them. They really like it; but, both of them have drawn their line in the sand.

Anne – I’m so glad to be back; but, after a week of no Internet there were 680+ posts; so I just picked up on the day I got back on. I’m sure I missed a whole lot. It was ‘awful’ not to have Internet service for an entire week. Couldn’t do anything (but read). So I really wasn’t wasting any time.

Lillian – I’m sorry you’ve had the flu twice. They say that if you get your vaccination early in the season, sometimes it mutates and your vaccination won’t cover it the second time around. So now I wait about a month into the season before getting mine, and pray that I don’t get it before then.

Barbiecat – The county here will come along and trim back any tree that sits on the easement. Neighbors down the road had a huge row of cedar trees to help block all the dust from the dirt road. We have planted pines; although we have thinned them twice. They do help cut back on the dust. Still have to dust more often than I had hoped. We planted a Paloma tree (grows really fast); but, breaks off easily too. Messy with the dropping of the nut cases; but, do it all at once. They were supposed to take the place of ‘pine trees’ until the found that they branched out too much to be good for building things with. But, it does give us shade on our deck; it is planted on the other side of our driveway from the house. Ours is twice the size of our son’s and they were planted about the same time. He has his for shade in the summer as well for their living room; but, if the storms keep breaking off branches he is going to cut it down so they won’t fall on his roof. I love big old trees. Growing up we had a huge old magnolia tree. Oldest sister and I would climb out on the roof of the porch and shimmy across a big branch and sneak out of the house. When I was a Junior in HS; parents removed the big wrap around porch on the “Colonial” house and made it a “Williamsburg” style and when they did, no porch roof; and they trimmed all the branches that had originally touched the ground. It was like having a ladder to climb down. We were talking about it one Christmas and asked our parents ‘how could y’all allow us to get away with doing that’? Especially since there was a concrete patio between the porch roof and the tree trunk. I thought they were both going to have a stroke. That was the first they had ever known about us sneaking out that way.

Sylvia – My DDnL#2 just sent me pictures of them all jumping on a trampoline at some indoor park. They look like they were having a ball. DDnL#2 and DGD#4 can get him to do anything they want to do. He is so ‘nuts’ about both of them. Dancing on a table for Father’s Day. He wasn’t going to do it; but, DGD#4 told him that ‘he was a Daddy’ … hers; so he got up and danced with her on the table. Bowling. He’s never gone bowling. Jumping on a trampoline – I don’t think he has ever done so; he looked like he was having a ball! I used to jump on one all the time in PE for cheerleading practice. We even had those individual ones that are slightly angled to run and jump and do a flip on. Of course, I broke my tailbone twice, once in cheerleading during PE; and coach and several of the football players tied me to a hardback chair, loaded me into the bed of a pickup truck and drove me to the hospital. Then the funeral home hearse was used to drive me to a larger hospital. I’ll never understand why an EMT bus has a hard board for you to lay on; and a hearse had a 4” padded seat for the dead. Go figure!
    Glad that all of you learned a lot by going to this meeting.

Carol – If you continue having headaches, no matter how minor, you need to talk to a MD; a concussion is nothing to gloss over as unimportant. I had a bad seizure a couple of years ago and it knocked me out. DH and DOS took me to the hospital after 2 ambulances got stuck trying to get to our house in the rain. The 3rd one came down the paved road; we realized that when it rains or has been raining and we need an ambulance we need to tell them how to get to us, rather than them depending on GPS. Even though DDnL#1 called to cancel the trip; they came anyway – liability issues if they canceled a trip based on a phone call. I was knocked out; so I had a huge bump on my head. They did all sorts of tests on me and put me in the hospital for 3 days.

Michele in NC – I got a brand new vest, tags from store still on it at Goodwill. Did not ‘think’ I had something to wear under it. Last on, a few weeks later (without having the vest with me) I picked out a long-sleeved T-shirt that exactly matched one of the colors in the vest. It was plaid.

KJL – I would think that ‘pepper spray’ would help break up an incident between 2 dogs. Our MDGD brought her Boston Bull Terrier down to our house when our DYS’s dogs were here. The lab was sleeping underneath a chair and the BBT woke him up; he grabbed him by the neck and I’ve never seen 5 adult jump into action to save the BBT. The granddaughters were all ‘screaming’. The lab had the BBT in his mouth and shaking him. DYS was boxing him in the face; oldest son was trying to pry his mouth/teeth loose, BnL was pulling one way, DDnL#1 was holding the BBT up so that lab would not break is neck. GDs ran home crying and would not open door for DYS for a while. He told them that you can’t introduce another male dog into the yard of another male dog who has peed to mark his territory. They did not understand because Lily is a female and Shorty was a female and they got along; but, Shorty walked behind Lily and peed every time she did. It was her territory. When Cracker was first introduced to Luna and Jax; she displayed a very submissive pose when Luna came at her. Luna would show her teeth and snap at her; but, not bad. They have 3 cats; and Luna will get their heads in her mouth; I’m waiting for her to chomp down on them. Dogs are territorial by nature; and, if one is off a leash and out of their yard and they get into a fight with your dog … that is NOT your fault. I ran over a dog coming home from work one day and it was stuck under the car. Kids were playing in the front yard and I was upset thinking I had hit one of them. Dog leash laws in effect; they called the police and then got mad at me when they got a citation for the dog not being in control, out of their yard, yahda, yahda, yahda. They called me at work harassing me and my boss sic-ed the attorney that represented them on them. Never heard anything else about it. Thankfully. I think it is normal to feel bad when your dog does what a dog does normally; but, it is NOT your fault that the smaller dog was the aggressive one. The owners should be responsible for the treatment of their own dog. My BF’s son’s bulldog dug under the fence to get to the dog next door. She was not an aggressive dog; and he tore her up and also got injured in the process. They had to put Hagen down and also paid for the neighbor’s dog; because he was inside a fence inside his yard.

CJ – DH is doing so much better. I’ve got to have the same procedure this Friday. Not thrilled, especially if GYN wants to put me on another medication. I already look like I am a ‘drug rep’ when I take my satchel of drugs with me. I’m just happy that the Urologist did this procedure on DH and found out what was going on up in there. DH hurt for a 10-day period of time; but, now he is over it, thankfully. I’ve had this procedure done before and it shows that my bladder is smaller than normal and it is in constant spasms. I don’t dare go anywhere without wearing a pad. Especially now that I am taking that brown pill that makes my urine a bright orange.

Been walking around the farm for exercise; doing about 45 minutes a day. This week I am going to hold strict to my 'caloric intake' and walk and hopefully I will lose the 6lbs that I have gained this past month. Can't get back on the easement behind the house because of mud puddles. Cracker has 'Grinch' feet (and lamb's ears) and I don't want her to bring mud into the house.

Lenora
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Chris - I'm sorry that guy was so rude! His momma didn't raise him right! (Don't jump on me--I know he's a grown man!)

Thanks for everyone's concern about my head. The headache is all but gone. I stayed home today and did mostly nothing.

I did make three overnight oatmeals for breakfasts this week and planned out my food for tomorrow.

I stayed under (barely) calories again today. It's a lot harder when there are NO exercise calories.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Bibia2418 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of you that commented about my earlier post! You guys are right...I see what you are saying! I can make healthy choices and I can ask myself "do I really want this?" and usually I can talk myself out of something I don't need to have. :) Good idea walking whenever I can fit some time in!!

Where are you that you are coming to Oklahoma City tomorrow? I live in OKC.

Janetr okc
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Lenora- thanks for the information! I heard about grapes but not raisins. It's amazing how different their systems are. I'm glad you are back to posting!

I was able to walk 5.5 miles today because it is warm outside. The only problem is that I had to do it in a slight drizzle.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: It is good to see you posting! I've missed you. I hope your back feels better soon. :bigsmile:

Anne from WI: Thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way. We get Kirkland low sodium bacon from Costco. It has great flavor and we can enjoy a small portion once in a while without clogging our arteries or "pigging out." :flowerforyou:

Bibla: I log every bite and swallow, even when I travel. It does wonders. There are also some strategies I use when eating out. One idea that works well is to order an appetizer or two instead of a meal. I ask for my appetizer to be served with the meal so I'm eating with everyone else. Another strategy is to order a "togo" box with the meal and put half of my food into it before I start to eat. The "togo" box can be tomorrow's lunch. Many restaurant chains are now posting nutritional and calorie information on line so you can plan in advance. Ordering salad seems like a good plan until you realize what the salad dressing does to your calorie count. I ask for my salad dressing on the side and dip the veggies into it rather than having them swim in it. Good luck. :smiley:

Becca: Great advice. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Michele: As a child I was thrown while trying to canter for the first time. My mom witnessed it and had a powerfully negative reaction, and that was the end of riding lessons for me. I've been working toward mastering the skill and defeating the fear ever since. I'm finally making progress in both skill & confidence. :bigsmile:

CSSJ09: Thanks for your boat comments. DS would prefer to sell his boat and buy a different kind that he can park in his driveway rather than pay monthly moorage. I hope he gets his wish. :flowerforyou:

Yoga tomorrow, and I don't have a conflict. Yay!!! I'll try to fill the day up with as much fun as I can. I have a couple of "todo" items. I need to get a gift into the mail for DGD. I want to talk to my doctor about switching my fosamax for bone density from the daily pill to the weekly one. I am tired of taking the fosamax pill each morning and having to sit up waiting for half an hour before I can take the rest of my medicine, brush my teeth, OR HAVE MY COFFEE. I will still have the same need to sit upright and consume nothing other than the medicine for half an hour if I change to the long acting version, but it would be only one day per week instead of every day. That is a worthwhile improvement, IMHO. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Kimses- Good Luck on your new job! I hope you have a great day!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    You guys, we used to have a most wonderful dog. Well of course everyone thinks 'their dog' is the most wonderful dog ever. But Buddy was pretty special. He was full blooded Sheltie. We got him as a puppy and he grew up with our girls, got them through middle and high school. But did he love his chocolate. We tried to keep it away from him but he would sniff it out anyway. Michelle loved M&Ms. So I had a big bag of them for Easter one year. The bag was still sealed and he found it where I had it hidden in my closet. Anyway, he found that bag, got it out and manage to open it and ate the whole thing. We have a candy store here in town, I don't know if it is just local or not. Lib's chocolate. sound familiar??? Anyway they make turtles. Yummy. But they are expensive. Mom liked to put something special in everyone's stockings so she called Michelle and had her go out and buy them for her. So she had them in her bedside table drawer. Buddy found those and ate all of those. Poor Michelle, she felt responsible and replaced them. She knew she had more money than Mom did. One other thing he loved was chewing gum. He would unwrap each piece and eat them. One day we came home and he had a whole wad in his mouth. He also liked the star light mints. He would systematically unwrap each piece and eat them. That dog sure loved his sweets. Died of old age and benign fatty tumors.

Michelle got to see her Dad's diarrhea in full action tonight. We were at Denny's having a small supper and were then going to go look at some of the car lots for a car for Michelle. Her's is going on only prayers now. Charlie always makes sure he tries to go to the bathroom before he leaves somewhere. About 3 minutes after we leave it came without warning. And stink :o She had never seen or smelled it that bad. She had only heard me talk about it. I am sure she went home and texted her sister. She has never experienced it before either. The other night it was about every 10 minutes and very urgent. Poor guy, he hardly ever goes downstairs now. Can't get up the stairs fast enough. His 6th IV infusion is coming up pretty soon and if it doesn't show any signs of improvement we are throwing in the towel. When he first started the infusions, they told us he should notice improvement after the 2nd one. So his answer now. Not eat. If he is going to go somewhere in the evening, eat a very small meal for lunch. And I mean small and then eat when he come home. For his surgery Tuesday he is planing on eating a small meal tomorrow and then not eating until after surgery. Sigh

Joyce, Indiana
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you n charlie. Have somewhat of this problem with my 93 year old mom.
    Have spent the day in er with mom, she couldn't walk n was shaking. Ran the normal test, her vitals were great! She was admitted, more in depth testing tomorrow. She has been both mother n father to me, my dad died very young. She is totally alert, worried about not setting her clocks forward. Prayers needed! Thanks Gayle Minneapolis
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Joyce- your dog sounds like he was adorable. I read that not all chocolate has the same toxicity and the size of the dog matters. Buddy was very fortunate!

Gayle - I will definitely keep you and your Mother in my prayers. It is so difficult when you don't have the answers to what is going on physically. I hope she is better in the morning. (((Hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Anne wrote: I have a pitbull if I did that with her they would all be calling the police. When I walk her people cross the street even pickup their small dogs. She never has shown any aggression towards any animal or person.
    My sister in Seattle has a pit bull who's the sweetest thing. He came from a rescue place. Hasn't ever hurt a flea.

If I want to run a half-marathon in early June, I'd better start getting some longer runs into my legs. So off I go!

Oh, and I've added dead bugs to my strength training routine for the coming 10 weeks. :D

Thinking of you and yours today, Heather!
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Joyce - Sending healing thoughts for Charlie and supportive thoughts for you. Is a colostomy the answer? Even temporary?

Gayle - So hard when you are close to a parent. :flowerforyou: <3

CJ - She is certainly a one off! Doesn't really get on with her sister, who is very different.
    Mussels are my go to food in fish restaurants. I eat them without the bread, and don't drink the creamy broth they often come in. The perfect low cal meal. :D We have 2 crabs in the freezer. Must devise a recipe for them.
    Great going on the inches and the clothes!

I have the phone beside me today. Normally it's in my purse. I never hear it. You can't speak to anyone on it anyway as our signal is apalling. We can get texts. DS may ring on the main phone or he could text.

Tonight I have some lovely , high quality bacon left from our "breakfast for dinner" meal last night . Will make a pasta recipe with it with fresh pesto I will make. With spinach, olives, tomatoes.DH will have tagliatelle and I will have zucchini ribbons. :D

Another beautiful day here. B):D

It's my new granddaughter 's birthday and my father's also. ;););)

Will let you know as soon as I get the news. (Feeling nervous :o:p )

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,821 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I slept in until 6 am, fell asleep at 7 last night.. I am taking today off from gym and then get back at it tomorrow...feeling a little off ,but much better than yesterday..don't like taking the time off,but would rather get this junk out before I go back into a crowded place..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Pi Day Monday! Holy crow, can we all talk?! Five pages of posts since I posted yesterday morning! Dark and raining this morning, so no walk, yet for me. Rain is supposed to stop mid afternoon, so maybe I can get one in after dinner. I got my strength training in. Skipped the dead bug- my abs are killing me! Penny, so glad to see you have added them to your routine! They are a *kitten*! But they get the job done. Pi day! Since I can't really expect the littles to understand pi, we are having pie and making pie. I have chicken cooking and apples diced and ready to be made into mini chicken pot pies and mini apple pies. I do have a pizza math game that I play with the older kids to help them with fractions. I will pull that out for the littles and they can decorate their pizza and then half it, and slice it....it all works.

Biblia- I don't have anything new for you! Except to agree with what the other ladies have told you; I am sure you can work some walking into your days. Exploring a new/different city can be a great way to do it! And just keep your eye on making healthy choices and log everything. I bet the week will go a lot smoother than you think.

Heather- I would have done the same after hearing the price for some one to do the work for me! Have you ever power washed? Power washing stone is easy and kind of fun. I have also power washed our deck and wood staircase; you just have to be careful with wood, start out on the lightest pressure setting and work your way to the one that cleans, but doesn't chew up your wood! I learned this lesson the hard way and had to go back and do some sanding after the power washing of the stairs! OOpsie!

Mary, Anne and others who gave doggie advice- Thank you! I suggested pepper spray to my daughter, so maybe she will go with that option. Chappie is walked twice daily, always on leash, and they take him to a dog park two or three evenings a week; where there are other dogs off leash; but because he is "new" to them and young, they keep him on leash just to get him used to the other dogs. They have never had an incident with him like this, so I think it was a matter of an aggressive dog and perhaps my daughter not taking the usual action she takes of "stomping her feet and addressing the strange dog". Perhaps Chappie felt that for some reason, since she wasn't taking control of the situation, that he needed to protect and defend.

Becca, Michele, and Pip- In regards to TOM and "on the rag", my daughter calls hers Aunt Irma (not sure why), but she laughed at me about five years ago, when I told her that Aunt Flo doesn't visit anymore; now Cousin Dot visits one Wednesday a month for coffee in the morning. Seriously, my periods dropped from a light Flo to just one Dot on Wednesday morning! Pretty easy to manage! I was a late bloomer, so I never had any traumatic "first period" stories. I was waiting FOREVER to get mine. Finally at age 17&1/2!

Anne- I hope you had a piece of bacon! Eat it and log it! I bought some Guinness to cook my St. Patrick's day corned beef in and have had a couple of bottles (one Sat and one Sun)! It's all good! I wanted it! I let myself have it! I logged it!

Gah! There are more of you I wanted to reply to, but have to get busy with my day! Love and hugs going to all of you who are caring for family and friends; and also to all of you who are getting over the flu and other nasty bugs!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Got a new granddaughter! 7 lb 1 oz. No name as yet. No pics yet. All doing well. <3

Heather UK
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I'm sitting in my office chair as it's the only comfy place I can sit. I have a dr appointment this morning, but it's the gyn, my primary doc is tomorrow. I did get two very short walks in yesterday while we took Benny to the dog park. He is nearly 90% back to normal but I think he has doggy dementia now. All those seizures really took it out of him. I suddenly discovered where all our money is going...down his throat wrapped in sliced turkey! He takes 123 pills a week for heaven's sake. I guess when I said I wanted a special needs dog, I really got one!

Mary: I'm running away from your bear here in Omaha! I have a phobia about bears!

KJ Lamore: how do you cook your corned beef in guiness? Use it instead of water to boil it? We had our corned beef dinner last night (and more tonight lol)

OK I need to keep moving now that I've sat a few....need to get dressed. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate me in my robe, bad back or not!

Chat with you again soon. Meg from Omaha where it will be 76 today!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Janet, I will be at the Marriott in Edmond on Thursday evening through Sunday early a.m. I don't really control the schedule but we will probably be hanging out at the hotel most of the time (pool and kids). The room is under my sister's name- Ann Gilbert.

My oldest (and very judgmental) sister was just here yesterday for about four hours. She had been in Vermont cleaning out my mom's things from the house her widower, Otto (her third husband), had lived in. My mom passed ten years ago. He has just moved in to an assisted living apartment at 95. My sister had hired a van to haul some things to me and then to her house in Colorado. So I got two pieces of furniture that had been my grandmother's, an upholstered chair and a silverware chest of drawers on legs. I also got all my mom's silver (I am the only one in the family that will polish silver and use the silver flatware since I don't use a dishwasher.). It has been over ten years since any of it was polished, so you know what I am going to be doing for the next few days. Anyway, we had a nice, but brief, visit (I just ignore all her judgmental comments).
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Got a new granddaughter! 7 lb 1 oz. No name as yet. No pics yet. All doing well. <3

Heather UK

634147pybxs3rotb.gif
    Congrats on the new granddaughter
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    This is Brain Awareness Week here in Canada. Eat a healthy diet and if need be an Omega supplement. Get exercise and good effective sleep. Manage your stress. Sustain brain activity - by continuing your learning.

There you go... It was a two minute interview on the Canada AM morning show. Too bad they didn't give a bit more time to this "very important" week.

Oh... and ... it is National Lazy day - the day after everyone else in the world changes their clocks.

Staying home from work today. Still coughing and sneezing a lot.

Will check in later with everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan