WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• pennyns
    pennyns Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just restarted using MFP after a year or so. Have been reading some of your posts and gaining some motivation. Thanks. Lost 4 lbs in one week but doubt I will keep up that rate of weight loss. Have been exercising pretty vigorously as well as keeping to my calorie goals. Really missed sugar for the first 5 days but not so much now. Being "added sugar-free" really helps me stop overeating.
    I am all about function. Turned 60 and working part-time instead of FT now and want to skate, ski etc as long as I can though I note it takes ever so much longer to heal from injuries as I age. Wish me luck!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Heather. Congrats on the new grand baby. I marvel every time at the miracle of life and the beauty of it all.

Today begins my week of grandkids. Two today and tomorrow then six for a week. I'm beginning to panic! Lol
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Heather: beautiful baby, great hair! Nothing like a new life, enjoy! Gayle Minneapolis
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Bibia, there will be days when we can’t do our normal exercise routine. And days where we just don’t. The great thing is that we can start again at any time. Just moving rather than sitting is always the best alternative when we can’t do our normal. Hang in there, you can do this.

Heather, good for you on being prepared for a late meal.

Chris, it was his loss for sure and who knows, maybe your gain? Just stay awesome!

Sue, I hope you are breathing easier every day. (((Hugs)))

Kay, congrats on the successful weekend. Keep up the great work.

CJ, I love your story about your dog sniffing the flowers.

Kimses, thinking of you today and hope all is going great!!!

Katla, I’m happy to see someone else on here that eats bacon once in a while. I freeze mine in 2 slice portions and probably have it almost once a month.

Joyce, my heart just goes out to Charlie and what he is going through. I just pray that he will see some improvement.

Gayle, sending prayers for your mom and you. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, what an exciting day for you. Do your know your new Granddaughter’s name? (later) Congrats!!! Looking forward to pics. (even later) Oh she is beautiful!! I hope her mom is doing well?

Allie, glad you are feeling a bit better and hope you are back to yourself soon.

KJ, you talked about power washing that can damage wood. It can also take the top layer right off of concrete if the setting is too strong.

Meg, please tell me that was a type and Benny doesn’t take 123 pills a week? It seems like that would be a full time job just to get them in him.

Lillian, sorry you are not feeling well. So does Canada not change their clocks? I think most Americans would like us to stay on DLS time.

Connie, welcome and wishing you a speedy recovery! This is a great place for support and information. You are one of the few people I’ve met that said they “love to exercise”, so this journey should be easier for you than some of us.

Carol,GA, I love dogs but don’t normally want one to lick me until I’m soaking wet. Lol I’ll bet they are great protectors.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

On the way home from the convention Saturday we stopped at a Tuesday Morning. I wasn’t looking for anything but ended up buying a new sun hat in red, a summer hand bag and two pair of ear rings. I felt a little guilty after spending a good bit of money at the convention, so I told DH that could be my Birthday gift. It’s in April and he never knows what to get me anyway. I weighed this morning and it wasn’t pretty. smiley-sad012.gif I’m back to exercising and will eat right as well as no drinking except for maybe St Patty’s day. Sending the best thoughts for all of you and your loved ones for success in whatever you do.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Noticed that it seemed no one was using their real names as their user names so I decided to change my username to SugarDarlin1959. It just feels nice to fit in :) Sorry for any confusion.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gayle in Minneapolis: Your mom is in my prayers, as are you. I hope they can solve the problem for her. :heart:

Heather: Congratulations on your new Granddaughter!!! I love the photo. Does she have curly hair? :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

KJLaMore: I told DH you were planning to cook your St. Patricks Day corned beef in Guinness. He was of the opinion we should drink the Guinness and cook our corned beef in water. :bigsmile:

Miriam: I'm glad your older sister brought you sentimental treasures that belonged to your mom. Judgmental people are often a trial for those around them. I suspect they're chronically unhappy and have a little sympathy for them. That sympathy doesn't extend to wanting to spend time together. :noway:

Pennyns: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

I have two packages to send to DGD for her birthday, one is from DS and DDIL. They left it pre-wrapped and stored with me since they were expecting a transfer and didn't know when or where they were going. I ordered my gifts from Amazon and had them wrapped and shipped directly, except for two Dr. Seuss books that I'll be sending along today. I'll take care of them after I get back from yoga.

Have a great day, everyone!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    My DS rang and we had a nice chat from DDIL's bedside. <3 The older two have been to visit the baby and DGD (2 yrs) was a little confused. :bigsmile: DGS (nearly 5) took it in his stride.
    The Caesarian went very well and was really quick, but, as it's the 3rd, it took half an hour to sew her back up.

I asked them if they want sushi for lunch when we go up on Thursday. They said YES, so I will be buying a whole lot at Waterloo and taking it up. DDIL 's favourite.
    I told DS that we were going to open a bottle of Prosecco tonight to toast the baby and he said "You can't go on using me as an excuse!" :laugh: Last week we opened a special bottle of Vin Jaune he had given me for Christmas as a toast for getting the house he wanted. :bigsmile:

Love Heather UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The baby's name is Beatrice <3

Heather UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Heather congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Heather, she is a beauty. Will be anxious to see what all that hair is all about.

Some one asked about whether a colostomy would work with Charlie's ulcerative colitis. They have had to do that on some people. His colitis is in the entire colon so I imagine it would have to be an iliostomy, The stool with an iliostomy is just as loose as his diarrhea now. Now if if he could have a colostomy now it would be a near solid stool like what we have. He is now under the impression that his Xarelto, his blood thinner, is the cause of his diarrhea. He thinks bleeding lesions is the same as ulcerative lesions. And he doesn't like being told he is wrong. I know what bloody stool smells like, there is no other like it and he doesn't have it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    736708cufk3nb73k.gif Pip, I gotta laugh about the music. One woman quit the intermediate line dance class because she couldn't stand all the newer music being used and another quit the beginner class because we didn't do enough Country music. Every time I teach a new dance someone hates the music and a bunch of others love it (or vice versa)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I willbe 57 in May. I am currently recovering from a total abdominal hysterectomy. I was having lower ab pain, dr thought it might be a hernia, ordered CT and ultrsound, no hernia but instead a uterine fibroid. My gyn dr said that since I had been through menopause that it would be best to just go ahead and remove everything to prevent any possiblitiies of getting cancer in that area. I have 2 grown children, both born via verticle c sections. My gyn cut out the old scars while doing the surgery :) Now I just have to let all that continue to heal for a while longer before I can do any real exercise, more than walking from one end of the house to the other. In the meantime I am going to focus on getting back to healthy eating. I love to exercise but I also love to eat.

If I had to choose a word for the month it would be Recovery, both physically and with better nutrition.

March Goals, for the remainder of the month:
    *Patience, I hate that word but that is where I am, waiting on my body to heal
    *Create and Establish a nutrition regimen that works for me
    * by March 28 I want to be ready to add cardio and weights on a regular basis

welcome.gif I sympathize with your not being able to do much exercise. I love to exercise and I hate to sit. Getting your food plan organized while you wait is a good idea. And while you're not able to exercise, you'll have time to read the posts on this thread and get to know all of us better and join the conversation.

:) Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Heather- Add my congratulations to all of the rest! New babies! *sigh* and she looks so sweet! Beautiful head of hair! Welcome to the world, Beatrice! <3

Meg and Katla-Meg, I found the recipe on allrecipes.com. It said to roast it (like in a Dutch Oven), but last year I put mine in a crockpot and I think I will do it that way again. It has a brown sugar crust and then you pour a bottle of Guinness over the sugared corned beef. Katla- I tried to find just a single bottle of Guinness (really I did!), but alas, they come in six packs or cases. Bought the six and just have to figure five in to my daily meals ;) Tell hubby "waste not, want not" or maybe that's "waist not, want not"!

DJ- I had no idea power washers can do that kind of damage to concrete! Wowsa!

Marcelyn- Don't panic! They can smell fear! >:) lol You will be fine! First day of Spring next week! I think you can do some spring planting with them! Get some cheap pots at the dollar store and let them paint them and plant something to take home! Grab some of those clear, plastic spice jars (the half size ones) and have them put a couple of wet cotton balls/paper towel in with a couple of dried beans, then screw an eye screw into the top and thread some plastic lacing cord through to make a necklace. They can watch the beans sprout through the sides of the jar within a week (remember to keep wetting the cotton balls/paper towels. Then they can plant the beans and watch them grow even bigger!

Lisa- Would love to see a pic of the HP quilt! I envy all of you quilters and sewers. Hmmmm...sewers (people who sew) looks the same as sewers (carriers of waste). Weird! Also, I am noticing that you are re-doing the chairs you found. I am seeing a lot of posts of people who are not sanding furniture/cupboards that have a light sheen and are applying the chalk paint right to the cleaned only wood. Have you tried this? Every one says it works, but I am wondering, does it really? and for how long?!

Welcome Pennyns and SugarDarlin- Great support team here!

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Beatrice is beautiful!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Heather ... Love, love, love baby pics. I agree, Beatrice is beautiful!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    barbiecat- you'll never make everyone happy with music. but at least mix it up, geez, I was dying. no big, i'll just do my own thing if he teaches, no big.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Heather - congratulations on the beautiful baby girl! It sounds like your DD I L has been through quite a bit!

Meg- LOL! I definitely try to stay away from the Bears as well!

I had a rough night with insomnia last night and woke up and took a couple of Benadryl. The only problem with doing that is I did not wake up until 1130! I took the puppy out for a 3 mile walk. Now I will do my Stronglifts and kettle bell swings this afternoon.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Heather - Beatrice is gorgeous. They are such a blessing. It never ceases to amaze me. I was present at the birth of four of my six grandbabies. What a miracle. Congratulations to son and DDIL.

Back from mani/pedi, no more delaying. Off to do my weight resistance training. Beautiful day here, going to get to 83°.

Janetr okc
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Aaaaawwwww, thank you ladies. Love you all. <3<3<3
    I am a happy granny tonight!

Tonight on TV there is a programme on Scandinavian art and a clashing programme on Svalbard, where Penny lives. :noway: I am recording Svalbard to watch at my leisure. :D

Heather UK

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

No date tonight, he never called like he said he would to finalize plans. What is it about men in their 50's???!!!

They're men! :laugh:

I finally went out with a man who'd been asking me for a year; by our second date, he had designed our dream home in his head...we made plans for a few days later, but he never finalized. I still get texts from him; he still acts interested, but he hasn't asked me out again. Who knows?

Your dog is adorable BTW <3

Larisa in Seattle