WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Heather - Beautiful new G-baby – love the fact you are using DS as an excuse to drink – Beatrice is a nice name you don’t hear to often (at least not in CA) and congrats on dealing with the music.

Marcelyn – panic is not allowed – breathe breathe breathe

Have a meeting in a few minutes at my house, so caught up reading and wrote a few notes before I saw the time YAAAA – going!

Kim from N. California
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Heather – My DDnL#2 send me a picture of DYS eating Sushi for the first time – with chopsticks; he threw them down and wanted to know where his fork was; then he picked it up with his fingers when she told him that they did not have any; and, ate it. She showed him how to use chopsticks and he picked up a small piece and was successful. I am amazed at what she and daughter can get him to do. This week it was going to a place with inside trampolines; he ran out and got to jumping on one like a child. I’m surprised that he did not try to do a ‘trick’ like a flip or something. He’s danced on a table with Mallory for Father’s Day. He’ll pick her up from school and they’ll go looking for deer sheds and he’ll pick her up from dancing or go to her basketball practice. She just adores him. She made him the cutest “Happy Step-Father’s Day” card.

KJL – Reading your post about wanting to buy an individual bottle of Guinness instead of the entire 6-pack reminds me of the “Jeanne Robertson” story (you can find it on YouTube) about the trip she sent her husband on to the grocery store to make 7-Up pound cakes to take one to a friend who had had a death in the family. She is hysterical and stories are based on her life or things that people have told her. We saw her in person and my sister and BnL were down, so we got tickets for them, too. We were leaving the next day for a ‘sisters’ vacation time. She did a story about her husband learning how to ‘sign’ for her to also learn so that there would not be a lull in the story for the interpreter to translate. I thought my sister was literally going to be RITFLHAO! Their youngest daughter was born with a profound hearing loss due to her having German measles during her pregnancy. She was not going to end the pregnancy; and, all of us think that Lynn is the next best thing to buttered bread. Her Daddy never really wanted to admit that she was deaf. She read lips and did a good job at talking. If you were around her for very long it was apparent that she is deaf and not talking with a lisp. She did not learn how to ‘sign’ until the summer after she graduated from HS. They were worried about her future; and, one night she saw the students at Gallaudet (college in Washington DC for the deaf) having a ‘sit in’ because the college wanted to hire a ‘hearing’ Dean. They decided NOT to hire the ‘hearing’ Dean. That summer she went up for orientation and stayed so that she could learn how to ‘sign’. During the entire 4 years, there had to sign only. That is what I’d like to learn. She is married to a man who became deaf at the age of 2 or 3 from meningitis. Their 2 sons are ‘hearing’ and all 4 of them had to go to classes at Easter Seal so they could learn how to communicate with one another. Their house is specially wired so that the lights will flash depending on whether one of the boys was crying, phone ringing (they have a special typewriter-looking thing to talk to sister and BnL), if the door bell was ringing, just about anything they would use ‘if’ they could hear. I’m sure by now, that skit is now on YouTube, too. We have most all her DVDs and when I am feeling blue I will put one in and within an hour I am laughing my head off. Goes to prove that one does not have to fill a skit full of 4-letter words to be ‘funny’.

Chris – I fell in love with the sound of my DH’s voice before I even looked up at him. Funny thing was I was the subject of a bet between the men and women in his office about whether I’d accept a date from him. He talked to me for a few minutes and asked me and I said ‘yes’ he and a co-worker just walked out of the deli I worked in while going to art school. When the ladies came in a little latter and were laughing and giggling, I asked them about him. Needless to say, the women won the bet. Then he went out of town for 3 weeks. I was convinced that he must have been married with 3 children. When he came back and asked for my telephone number (he had already gotten my name from one of the women). He called and we talked for 3 or 4 hours, he asked if I wanted to go out, I said ‘yes’ and then the next day I broke it. He called again and we talked another 4 hours and I admitted that I really did not want to go out on a date where I had to pretend, so he asked me to go to a company baseball game he’d be playing in the next night. So I did. There was this divorcee, blond, with 3 women; built like a "brick" house and she flirted with him from across the table; but, I had won his heart. We’ve been together now for going on 44 years. He is my soulmate. We have no ‘secrets’; but, that does not mean that we tell one another ‘every single solitary thing’. If it is important – we talk about it. I’ll ask him how his day was and if he wants to tell me something that happened, he’ll tell me; but, I am not involved in his business. When I tell him that I am going into town to visit with a friend, all he says is, ‘be home before dark’ … ‘call me’. But, I’d never lie to him. Trust is something that once lost; can rarely be regained totally again. He takes his marriage vows very seriously and has stuck with me through losing a baby due to a complication, having and raising 2 sons to adulthood with little problems. They had rules and they knew the consequences – good or bad – for breaking them. My husband has the same qualities: Transparent, reliable, kind, thoughtful, generous and with integrity. I would not trade him for anybody or anything; I don’t think I could ever replace him. He jokes a lot about the ‘girl at the picnic’ (which is one way to tell me that he is feeling stressed); and jokes about he should have traded me on two 20-year-olds. Now he’d have a difficult time trading me on 3. LOL!!!!! He is strong and will defend me – even to our own sons. I’m 2nd in his life (God being first); my sons come in at a close 3rd; DDnLs and DGDs bring up the rear.

Kim from N Carolina – We have the same sort of issues in this county; and in the previous county we lived in. We had a live oak tree that was between the wires going down the service alley; transformer, and the wires coming to our house. Would have cost a lot to have it taken down; it was basically hollow in the trunk; but, tree people said that that was not unusual for them; but, if the limbs started breaking off, it would need to come down. The lady that bought the house did have it taken down; along with 2 fig trees that I wish we could have taken with us. They were just big enough to start producing fruit. Now we go and pick them at a neighbor’s house when we run out of fig preserves. This year I got pears off the pear trees that we planted for the deer. Five gallon bucket of them; and peeled them and cooked them. They were getting just about right when I turned my back and burnt them. DH went out and picked up another 5 gallon bucket of them; this time they turned out great. I finally got rid of the pot that seems to burn everything I make in it. Got to find another one that has a thicker bottom. I’ve been thinking about calling the county to see if they can force one of our neighbors to cut down a totally dead pine tree before it falls across the road; but, it is so close to what may or may not be on the county’s side. I was following a woman to go pick up my granddaughters from school when a huge side of an oak tree in someone’s yard came crashing down. Full of honey bees; but, they did not know that the tree just fell because it wanted to. I thought surely this woman was dead. I got out of my car to yell to see if she was ok; told her that help was on the way. Young man who had been sitting on his porch came running up to the car and I told him to wait, wires were down; the bees got to him before he got to the car, he turned around and started screaming to get away. I stood very still, some landed on me; but, they did not sting me. The city made them take the tree down, at their expense.

Kim from N. California – I’d guess that squeezing the dog’s “Johnson” would definitely make him let go of another dog; but, I’d be fearful of how he’d see me ‘in his mind’ if I did that to him. Knew a woman whose girls were the same ages as my boys; and, one of them was sleeping on the sofa and the dog was sleeping in front of it. Child crawled off the sofa and stepped on the dog’s “Johnson’ and he about torn her face off, several 100 stitches. Mother called the vet and told him what had happened and asked that he come get them and put them down. He said that it had been instinct and probably had nothing to do with dog’s temperament; but, she would not allow him to find a home for them (she had 2, one for each child). So that is what he did. She told me that when the dog realized what was going on (attacking the child) he went over and had a seizure in the corner. After that, the child had bad seizures. We became friends because both of us had children with seizure disorders. We’ve drifted apart as our children have grown up and moved on, too.

Carol in NC – My DYS married a woman who had a daughter; he could not be more loved by this child if he were her biological daughter. He treats her that way. He knew he was getting a packaged deal going in. In fact, he invited her on several of their dates. She’s finally decided to call me “Nana” like our other DGDs do. She calls her step-mother’s mother “Nana”; but, could not come up with another name she liked better for me, since she wanted to fit in with the others calling me Nana. She told her Mother that ‘if that “Nana” got her panties in a wad, she’d just have to pull them out’.

Joyce – I would not recommend taking teeth out and leaving gaps; your teeth move at the slightest little gap. I lost a cap one Friday afternoon, and finally got ahold of the fill-in dentist; who saw me that Saturday AM. Had to really maneuver the cap to get it back on. Saw my regular dentist that following Monday. He said that ‘if’ I had waited, it probably would not have gone back on; and it is still glued in.

Becca – Whenever I have gone to a ‘new’ MD, the first thing I ask is, ‘do you accept Medicare’; they need to do that for my 2ndary insurance (BC/BS) to pay … When I needed a new PsycheMD, out of the reach of the local city hospital) my GP found one in Macon and I absolutely ‘love’ him. Just a little disappointed that he has a ‘new’ nurse who I am not sure gives him messages. I finally wrote him; guess I should have put “Personal and Confidential” on it. If I call his emergency cell phone #, he has always called us back. He knows that we live 2 hours away and if there is a change he can make in my medications that will prevent me from having an ‘episode’, he will tell us to do so, and make an appointment to see him within the next day or two. Just come up and he’ll see me. He’s kept me ‘out of the hospital’ several times doing it that way. I’m on Medicare and because they will only pay for a mammogram every 3 years and a pelvic every other year (or something like that); when I make my appointment for my yearly physical, they code it as a ‘problem’ visit; therefore, Medicare will pay it and so will BC/BS. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I’m on a limited income, so it is necessary that my MDs understand that, so that they can make sure they dictate the records so that it is coded a certain way.

Cwrebidue – Yeah … I was getting concerned that we’d have to tone back our comments seeing a post with a man’s face. LOL!!!! Tell us the name you prefer to be called, where you live (general or specific), and a little about yourself, goals, children, obviously you’re married. This is a great bunch of women and we talk about just about any subject. We encourage, we rant and vent and make suggestions, etc.

Janetr OKC – I might have mentioned this before – I had a childhood friend that lived in Norman, OK. We’ve lost touch since HS (last time I saw her, went to visit in Norman). Went on a date to OKC and was surprised to see a working oil rig on the capital grounds. Her Dad was a professor at UOK. Since I am on Medicare due to a disability – Medicare is always primary. Only problem I had once was when I had a wreck and the hospital and one of my MDs started billing Medicare and BC/BS first. It took me about 3 months to get them straightened out; but, I finally did. It really was a PITA.

Becca – You’re funny. My husband won’t even ‘touch’ my computers; not even to turn them off or unplug them during a storm. That is just one thing that will upset me about him. Other than that … he is an ‘angel’. To put up with me for going on 44 years, he’d have to be. Most men would have tucked tail and hauled @$$ the first time something went wrong with me.

CSSJ09 – I go to several different MDs (one out of town) and I’m on a ‘patient portal’ with both of them (all of them that I go to on a regular basis) therefore, they can get records from one another quickly. I was not sure I would like it; but, it is working for me. Easier than asking them, each time, to send copies to all the others.

Well, in the 2nd hour of “The Voice” so I am clocking off! Nighty Night! Y’all!

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    <3
  • joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Heather - Congratulations to your family on the birth of your new grand-daughter. Beatrice is such a lovely name. Glad to hear mother and baby are well.
    Music has driven me away from some restaurants and exercise classes. I am now going to yoga and Pilates classes where what I call "spa music" is played by the instructor at very low volume. It is very relaxing, but does not detract from the lesson.

Kate in AL
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lenora, you better believe I will not have gaps left. I can't remember why I have 2 teeth pulled but I will never do it again. I know it is more expensive to do it my way but if he complains, I worked long and hard for almost 30 years as a nurse and I can pay for them. We have always had a joint banking account and have never argued about it.

I know a lot of you get up way early in the morning but we have to get up at 6 AM tomorrow for Charlie's surgery. That is just not us. Hope we can both sleep. We have no idea what kind of restrictions he will have. I did buy a box of disposable gloves so he can take care of his diarrhea although he knows I am very willing to do it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did about 20 minutes of yoga, held my plank for 2 min 49 sec (one second more than before!), 1 hr extremepump. We have a Skype session with Bryan tomorrow then I want to go to the Y near me (it's this one guy's birthday today and I usually make him something so I want to take it to him), then maybe go to Aldi since we're up that way. I really like this branch of the Y but they don't have a whole lot of different equipment.

Since it'll be so late, I will do something at home (Skinny Jean Workout - whatever that is), then Skype with Bryan, then go to the Y to take the "cheesecake" (it's much healthier, it's made with greek yogurt instead of the cream cheese), then go to Aldi, then stop at Target on the way home to get more cat litter, which they have a coupon for if you buy a certain amount. Jess many times takes a container home with her so I want to have extra.

CJ - awsome buy. Don't you just love it when you get to the register and the girl checks you out and you have to keep saying "hold on" because you have more and more coupons/discounts for her to take? Love it. I just got a 6qt slow cooker for Jess. It was on sale 50% off so that would have been like $30, then I had a $5 coupon, then I had another coupon for another 20% off, then there is a $5 rebate. For a $60 slow cooker I'm going to wind up paying something like $12. That's a price I can live with. Lucky me <snide remark>, they just built a new Krispy Kreme right down the street from me. But you know something? They've been open about a year now and I've only gone in there twice. Do you know that I've never had mussles? I would probably be willing to give them a try. But for a taste, I'm not crazy about ordering a lot, what if I find that I don't like them?

Lenora - so glad the T-shirt matched that vest. Many times I buy things at the Salvation Army (I've found that Goodwill seems to be more expensive and not as nice) thinking it will match something I have. If it doesn't, I just redonate it.

Joyce - my heart goes out to Charlie and all of you

Gayle - prayers for your mom

KJ or anyone for that matter - we have this horrible red clay. It gets all over everything. My question is -- does anyone have a way that you can get brick/stones clean?

kj - Wow, you didn't get your period until 17-1/2??? Weren't you worried?

Heather - congrats grandma! Lovely name.

Welcome everyone new

Lenora - I freeze grapes, too. Last summer I didn't buy any ice cream for myself at all. Yes, I bought it for Vince, but none for me. The frozen grapes were much better than any ice cream, and better for me.

katla - why not drink AND cook the corned beef in Guiness?

barbie - as you know, you can't please all the people all the time, no matter what you do

Janet from Alabama - so very sorry about your husband. Congrats on the great loss. I believe that of all the "diets" out there, Weight Watchers is the best. Nothing is off limits, they advocate veges and fruit, everything is portion controlled. that's the way it should be. We have to live. Congrats on finding your present hubby

kimses - I was a bit surprised that they didn't have pie at senior bowling today.

Went to ceramics and realized that I painted one part the wrong color so I had to scrape it all off. When we go Wed, hopefully, I can finish and put the glaze into the bottom of the dolphin (which will be my next project)

Becca - when I go for my injection of Prolia, it comes thru as "experimental chemotherapy" and insurance won't cover it. The doc ususes the wrong code. Then he has to resubmit the order and insurance will cover it. This happened last year, too.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,924 Member
    Options
    Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    15,000 steps
    154 minutes of dog walking
    80 minutes riding the exercise bike
    two hour nap

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Strategy is stronger than willpower.

I LOVE this.
    Congrats on your highly active day!

Larisa in Seattle
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    What I learned is as we get older we come with more baggage and issues. Seems to make thing harder. For me my exhusband abandoned me out of nowhere. Got in his truck one day said nothing and I had no idea where he was for several days. Left me to pay all the bills and try and figure out where he went and why he left. Only answer for him leaving is he thought he should be happier than he was. We did not argue about stuff so was blind sided always talked things out and did everything together. My major issue is ABANDONMENT. Always waiting for them to leave.

Anne from Wisconsin

I am so sorry this has happened to you. Your ex doesn't seem honorable at all. :broken_heart:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lenora - the working oil pump is still there on the State Capital lawn. I was blown away too when I first moved here. Up on the north side of OKC there is an oil pump in the middle of a shopping center parking lot. Made a lot of Oklahomans rich years ago. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Pip - Thanks for the pics. Makes you just want to cuddle up beside them and lay your head down. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Barbie - I am always in awe of you. You must be on the move from the time you get up in the morning until the time you go to bed at night. You are such an inspiration.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Michele - Great workout! I hope your session with DS goes well.

Pip - your fur family is so adorable!

Barbie - great workout! I love your quote as well!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Our youngest grandbaby, Olivia,zb4t35ykt5w5.jpg
    came to visit yesterday. She'll turn two next month
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Janetr- Olivia is very precious!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Janetr- Olivia is very precious!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Thanks, Mary. It was so cute yesterday. Her Dad was outside with Jack and they were working on Josh's van. She would hand him lug nuts and tools and then try to use them herself. She's very petite, like her Mom, so some of the tools were half as big as she is.

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Olivia is sooooooo sweet! <3

Heather. UK
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    B)
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    About Mary's kettlebell cartoon - I forgot to mention that was me in the background with the 7lb weight - that is really what I have at home and all I could start with but 7lbs is better than nothing!

Kids are OK'd to go back to school tomorrow. Had to take them to urgent care again because could not get them into their doctor until Thurs. Did not want them staying home if they didn't need to be!school-bus-smiley-emoticon.gif