Looking to go Vegan and feeling a bit overwhelmed!

Options

Replies

• sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    sault_girl wrote: »
    nsa352 wrote: »
    Hi, going vegan doesn't always mean loosing weight. There are people who gain weight on vegan diet. Also veganism is too extreme.

Nothing extreme about realizing most of the developed world lives in such a way to where choosing cruelty free food choices at the grocery store and restaurants is a viable option and adjusting your purchasing habits accordingly.

There is also nothing morally superior about it.

The animals we eat probably have much better food, housing, and healthcare than the human beings who pick the bananas.

*shrugs* I don't care personally. More steak for me. I fully accept that something, plant or animal, must die each day for me to live. That's the way life works on this planet. My only issue with vegan life is the need to take artificial supplements when you can get the stuff you're lacking in actual food. I'm all about being kind and choosing organic and free range foods but I don't want my health to suffer from it.

All that aside. Nothing wrong with vegan so long as you're doing it for yourself. Best of luck.

The denial of this kind of bothers me a little bit, too.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi, going vegan doesn't always mean loosing weight. There are people who gain weight on vegan diet. Also veganism is too extreme.

Nothing extreme about realizing most of the developed world lives in such a way to where choosing cruelty free food choices at the grocery store and restaurants is a viable option and adjusting your purchasing habits accordingly.

The animals we eat probably have much better food, housing, and healthcare than the human beings who pick the bananas.

*shrugs* I don't care personally. More steak for me. I fully accept that something, plant or animal, must die each day for me to live. That's the way life works on this planet. My only issue with vegan life is the need to take artificial supplements when you can get the stuff you're lacking in actual food. I'm all about being kind and choosing organic and free range foods but I don't want my health to suffer from it.

All that aside. Nothing wrong with vegan so long as you're doing it for yourself. Best of luck.

As long as they know it isn't a magic bullet for losing weight and being healthy. That's all I care about.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That something must die in order for me to eat doesn't justify any choice that I might make to obtain food. I assume there are some food choices you would object to, right? If you can think about why you might object to certain actions undertaken to obtain food or the decision to turn certain individuals into food, you might gain some insight into why vegans have decided to avoid what we avoid. You don't have to agree -- but it shouldn't be a source of confusion that different people have different levels of concern for animals and different actions they will take in response to that concern.

I'm not sure why it bothers you, but I also don't think this thread is the place to get into it.

The OP of this thread isn't looking to convince anyone else to go vegan. She's looking for tips and support for an ethical position that she apparently already holds. That some people here may disagree with that ethical position is pretty irrelevant. There is a "vegan" thread in Nutrition Debate right now that may be a better place for those who want to debate issues related to veganism.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Those aren't the options.

Oh ok. Nice rebuttal. You obviously have some hostile opinions towards veganism for some reason if you come onto a thread about someone looking for help transitioning just to argue. Maybe you should try and figure out what specifically it is about people choosing a compassionate lifestyle that upsets you so much.

I think it's just that they think they are choosing a compassionate lifestyle and non-vegans are not.

I would agree with this... as a long time vegan, I hate to admit it but many vegans I meet in the wild are not very humble, logical, or respectful of the beliefs of others. The sanest vegans I meet tend to be online. But lots of people have negative experiences due to over-zealous, evangelical vegans who annoy others, and give sensible vegans a bad name.

It's all about respect, and vegans can be some of the worst about respecting others who don't agree with us.

Edited for spelling
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options

As long as they know it isn't a magic bullet for losing weight and being healthy. That's all I care about.

After thinking on it a little, I have to say that I guess I feel threatened because many vegans are quite extreme... trying to stop the use of animals for food/clothing/entertainment. My understanding of veganism is that is it not just about food but the use of animals for anything. My life pretty much revolves around animals so it's a bit scary that there are extremists trying to take them away.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I talked to my doctor who eats a "Clean Diet" about going Vegan to help manage my 20 lb weight gain from menopause. He told me not to, he said most vegans he sees are overweight from eating processed vegan and gluten free packaged food and "mock" meat. However, if this is a path that you want to choose for yourself, I wish you all the best, I would just recommend seeing a nutritionist if you can to get feedback on how to incorporate healthy whole foods into your diet that are vegan. I have one meal a day that is 100 percent vegan that I cook for myself from scratch. My goal is to have two whole food vegan meals a day.

Anyhow, best wishes! Let us know how you are doing! :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

After thinking on it a little, I have to say that I guess I feel threatened because many vegans are quite extreme... trying to stop the use of animals for food/clothing/entertainment. My understanding of veganism is that is it not just about food but the use of animals for anything. My life pretty much revolves around animals so it's a bit scary that there are extremists trying to take them away.

You're right that veganism is about avoiding all unnecessary animal exploitation, not just that involved in the production of food. I'm not sure what you mean by your life revolving around animals, but it's possible that vegans don't want to take anything away from you. Many of us have companion animals that we adore (I live with two dogs). Many vegans love animals and feel that they're a major part of our lives.

In any case, I'm sorry that you feel threatened by veganism. As an individual vegan, I want to say it's never my intention to make anyone feel threatened.
  • buzz28camaro
    buzz28camaro Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    *deleted my response as it was totally irrelevant to OPs questions*
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of stuff like vegan chili, soups etc and then freeze then in serving size bags. Then I just take them out when I want one. Beans and tofu are cheap and easy to cook with. Tofu and tvp are good for things like spagetti sauces and chillies cause it gives meat eaters the meat texture. Frozen and canned vegetables are great when you're in a rush. It's a learning process so don't be afraid to try new things.

Keep an eye on your macros so that you hit your protein. Nuts, milk alternatives and green vegetables are all helpful in getting your calcium

Have fun with it and know that you're doing a lot of good with the switch! :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »
    A year ago, I talked to my doctor who eats a "Clean Diet" about going Vegan to help manage my 20 lb weight gain from menopause. He told me not to, he said most vegans he sees are overweight from eating processed vegan and gluten free packaged food and "mock" meat. However, if this is a path that you want to choose for yourself, I wish you all the best, I would just recommend seeing a nutritionist if you can to get feedback on how to incorporate healthy whole foods into your diet that are vegan. I have one meal a day that is 100 percent vegan that I cook for myself from scratch. My goal is to have two whole food vegan meals a day.

Anyhow, best wishes! Let us know how you are doing! :)

It may be the case that most vegans this particular doctor sees are overweight, but it's important to know that population studies show that vegans tend to be thinner than the average person.

I'm not sure what gluten-free packaged foods have to do with anything, as this is a thread about veganism. If my doctor didn't understand the difference, I might seek a different source of health care.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I wonder if some body types just aren't suited for vegan. I've been trying because I love the idea of a no-kill diet. There isn't an animal alive that I wouldn't rather pet than eat, but I tried the most healthy vegan diet I could put together for 3 weeks beginning the last week of January, with a vitamin/mineral supplement, and I was tired, constantly hungry in spite of eating frequently, and irritable the entire time plus gained 6 pounds. I couldn't stand it any longer. I'm still in favor of as plant-based a diet as I can manage and still feel good, but I seem to need more concentrated forms of protein (meat, eggs).
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Those aren't the options.

Oh ok. Nice rebuttal. You obviously have some hostile opinions towards veganism for some reason if you come onto a thread about someone looking for help transitioning just to argue. Maybe you should try and figure out what specifically it is about people choosing a compassionate lifestyle that upsets you so much.

I think it's just that they think they are choosing a compassionate lifestyle and non-vegans are not.

I would agree with this... as a long time vegan, I hate to admit it but many vegans I meet in the wild are not very humble, logical, or respectful of the beliefs of others. The sanest vegans I meet tend to be online. But lots of people have negative experiences due to over-zealous, evangelical vegans who annoy others, and give sensible vegans a bad name.

It's all about respect, and vegans can be some of the worst about respecting others who don't agree with us.

Edited for spelling

Bane, you are definitely one of the sanest, nonevangelical vegans I've come across. I enjoy my status at the top of the food chain, so will never likely give up meat all together. I don't have a moral issue with eating other critters.

Choosing to be vegan is really a moral quandry and not generally an issue of health. Yes, there can be decided health benefits but it isn't the only healthy way to eat. I could give up meat and likely not miss it. Cheese would be a whole different story.

Each person has to decide what's important to them and what to ingest. If you find going vegan to be difficult and have no moral compunctions about eating animals then I wouldn't go vegan. Just add more veggies to your diet. If you find it morally questionable to consume meat then going vegan might be for you.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I wonder if some body types just aren't suited for vegan. I've been trying because I love the idea of a no-kill diet. There isn't an animal alive that I wouldn't rather pet than eat, but I tried the most healthy vegan diet I could put together for 3 weeks with a vitamin/mineral supplement, and I was tired, constantly hungry in spite of eating frequently, and irritable the entire time plus gained 6 pounds. I couldn't stand it any longer. I'm still in favor of as plant-based a diet as I can manage and still feel good, but I seem to need more concentrated forms of protein (meat, eggs).

What were you eating for protein?
  • 2snakeswoman
    Options
    I wonder if some body types just aren't suited for vegan. I've been trying because I love the idea of a no-kill diet. There isn't an animal alive that I wouldn't rather pet than eat, but I tried the most healthy vegan diet I could put together for 3 weeks with a vitamin/mineral supplement, and I was tired, constantly hungry in spite of eating frequently, and irritable the entire time plus gained 6 pounds. I couldn't stand it any longer. I'm still in favor of as plant-based a diet as I can manage and still feel good, but I seem to need more concentrated forms of protein (meat, eggs).

Whole grains, legumes, nuts. I can't tolerate soy; it makes me lightheaded. Around that was a variety of vegetables and fruits.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Whole grains, legumes, nuts. I can't tolerate soy; it makes me lightheaded. Around that was a variety of vegetables and fruits.

Seitan is an excellent source of concentrated plant protein. Hemp and pea protein powders are also great.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I talked to my doctor who eats a "Clean Diet" about going Vegan to help manage my 20 lb weight gain from menopause. He told me not to, he said most vegans he sees are overweight from eating processed vegan and gluten free packaged food and "mock" meat.

There's a world of difference between a whole-food plant based diet, which can be a very healthy choice, and an "Oreos & Pringles" vegan diet. I avoid meat and cheese analogs and most prepackaged foods. Vegan diets, like other diets, can be healthy if you avoid the food-like substances.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »
    A year ago, I talked to my doctor who eats a "Clean Diet" about going Vegan to help manage my 20 lb weight gain from menopause. He told me not to, he said most vegans he sees are overweight from eating processed vegan and gluten free packaged food and "mock" meat.

There's a world of difference between a whole-food plant based diet, which can be a very healthy choice, and an "Oreos & Pringles" vegan diet. I avoid meat and cheese analogs and most prepackaged foods. Vegan diets, like other diets, can be healthy if you avoid the food-like substances.

To be perfectly fair, you can eat any "food-like" substances you want and be healthy as well... provided you eat a variety of foods with a variety of micro nutrients.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I recently decided I wanted to go vegan too. Tried cold turkey (lol) but my cravings were strong as were my stomach aches, so now I am eliminiting some foods each month, now onto my first month completely dairy free :) Although still eating meat and fish
  • 2snakeswoman
    Options

Seitan is an excellent source of concentrated plant protein. Hemp and pea protein powders are also great.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did have one seitan meal in that 3 weeks, also a meal with a packaged vegan burger. I do prefer meals that I prepare from scratch to the packaged stuff; definitely wasn't trying to survive as a junk food vegan.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Although I would say, whatever your reasons are for becoming vegan, surely they are strong enough to guide them onto your son? Not forcefully, but let him try it with you and win win