Looking to go Vegan and feeling a bit overwhelmed!

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wonder if some body types just aren't suited for vegan. I've been trying because I love the idea of a no-kill diet. There isn't an animal alive that I wouldn't rather pet than eat, but I tried the most healthy vegan diet I could put together for 3 weeks with a vitamin/mineral supplement, and I was tired, constantly hungry in spite of eating frequently, and irritable the entire time plus gained 6 pounds. I couldn't stand it any longer. I'm still in favor of as plant-based a diet as I can manage and still feel good, but I seem to need more concentrated forms of protein (meat, eggs).

What were you eating for protein?

Whole grains, legumes, nuts. I can't tolerate soy; it makes me lightheaded. Around that was a variety of vegetables and fruits.

Seitan is an excellent source of concentrated plant protein. Hemp and pea protein powders are also great.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did have one seitan meal in that 3 weeks, also a meal with a packaged vegan burger. I do prefer meals that I prepare from scratch to the packaged stuff; definitely wasn't trying to survive as a junk food vegan.

You can purchase seitan, but you can also make your own. But I wouldn't consider either version "junk food." On the contrary, it's a great source of nutrition.

Your initial question was whether some body types aren't suited to veganism. I don't think there are body types that aren't suited to veganism. I do think that if people attempt to layer additional food restrictions on top of veganism (for example, avoiding nutrient-rich foods because they consider them "junk"), they will often struggle to meet their nutritional needs. Virtually every ex-vegan I know who quit due to nutritional issues had additional food restrictions in addition to avoiding animal products. Unfortunately, many of those ex-vegans go on to blame veganism when it was the additional food restrictions that may have been the issue.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »
    freechewy wrote: »
    A year ago, I talked to my doctor who eats a "Clean Diet" about going Vegan to help manage my 20 lb weight gain from menopause. He told me not to, he said most vegans he sees are overweight from eating processed vegan and gluten free packaged food and "mock" meat.

There's a world of difference between a whole-food plant based diet, which can be a very healthy choice, and an "Oreos & Pringles" vegan diet. I avoid meat and cheese analogs and most prepackaged foods. Vegan diets, like other diets, can be healthy if you avoid the food-like substances.

To be perfectly fair, you can eat any "food-like" substances you want and be healthy as well... provided you eat a variety of foods with a variety of micro nutrients.

Solid point. Unhealthy diet composition is usually more what someone is *not* eating than what they are.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    nsa352 wrote: »
    Hi, going vegan doesn't always mean loosing weight. There are people who gain weight on vegan diet. Also veganism is too extreme.

Nothing extreme about realizing most of the developed world lives in such a way to where choosing cruelty free food choices at the grocery store and restaurants is a viable option and adjusting your purchasing habits accordingly.

There is also nothing morally superior about it.

The animals we eat probably have much better food, housing, and healthcare than the human beings who pick the bananas.

No one is talking about moral superiority except you, but what would you call it if your two options are either reducing suffering in the world or increasing it and you choose the former?

Actually while no one in that string did it was brought up by perfectpounds.

Also your point is moot. Both lifestyles cause massive amounts of environmental damage and contribute to human suffering. Not only that but if everyone was to go vegan there would be many farmed species that would be eradicated because they're no longer useful to big business.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've been following a vegan style diet for about a month. I don't label myself as such and don't beat myself up if I slip up. I'm doing it purely for health not ethical reasons. Pinterest has tons of vegan recipes. Try lots of them. I haven't been disappointed and it's fun trying new things. My husband is surprised when I tell him it's vegan! I still cook up meat dishes for the rest of the family.
    I'd say just experiment. Try lots of new things. My diet is so full of veg and fruit now I feel wonderful. There's a product called nutritional yeast that will give you all of your b vitamin needs. It kind of has a cheesy flavour. Add it to pureed veggies to make a mac and "cheese".
    I think what's made me successful with eating vegan style is I didn't make it stressful. Just made it fun and exciting and a new experience.
    Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Vegan here for 3 years after intense period of self education. It is about being healthy inside and outside. losing of weight and maintaining it comes naturally.

I eat Whole-plants, minimally processed. I eat raw and cooked, and I cook all I need myself. I keep it simple and time saving.

Eating vegan junk food is probably as bad as consuming animal flesh and products. and it makes one fat and unhealthy.

If you are interested, add me, look into my diary, and ask me all the questions you want.

Eating animal flesh makes one fat and unhealthy?

Omnivores are not about being healthy inside and outside?

Strong implications.
  • veganparisian
    veganparisian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »
    A year ago, I talked to my doctor who eats a "Clean Diet" about going Vegan to help manage my 20 lb weight gain from menopause. He told me not to, he said most vegans he sees are overweight from eating processed vegan and gluten free packaged food and "mock" meat.

That's what we were saying before.
    Vegans who eat too much Oreos = omnivores who eat too much pastries
    Gluten free is just for people who are gluten- intolerant. It's not related to veganism
    The difference is that a vegan high carb low fat diet is totally healthy
  • veganparisian
    Options
    I'm still in favor of as plant-based a diet as I can manage and still feel good, but I seem to need more concentrated forms of protein (meat, eggs).
    Hey don't worry, I've been vegan for a year and my blood results are perfect!
    you can find protein in lentils, peas and brocolis for example. And - I couldn't explain you why , but - protein from plants are better 'absorbed' by the organism.
    You can probably find the answers to your questions in 'The China Study'. But if you don't have time to read it, just look on internet , it's still the easiest way to find information quickly. However, try to find information based on research
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm still in favor of as plant-based a diet as I can manage and still feel good, but I seem to need more concentrated forms of protein (meat, eggs).
    you can find protein in lentils, peas and brocolis for example. And - I couldn't explain you why , but - protein from plants are better 'absorbed' by the organism.
    You can probably find the answers to your questions in 'The China Study'. But if you don't have time to read it, just look on internet , it's still the easiest way to find information quickly. However, try to find information based on research

What is your source for the claim that protein from plants is better absorbed?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And "China Study".

(I'm just "environmentally superior" away from vegan thread bingo!)
  • veganparisian
    Options

http://nutritionstudies.org/animal-vs-plant-protein/
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    And "China Study".

I thought we covered that one already, but perhaps I'm mixing threads?
  • jofjltncb6
    edited March 2016
    Options
    And "China Study".

It's so oft-cited that it's easy to make that mistake...or my inferior cognitive abilities caused by my omnivore diet caused me to miss it. Either way, it's marked now.

Do you want to get out in front of that Campbell article? Or do we want to let an omnivore tear it apart instead?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

http://nutritionstudies.org/animal-vs-plant-protein/

This actually says the opposite of what you are claiming: "Animal based proteins, of course, are much more similar to our proteins, thus are used more readily and rapidly than plant proteins."

Did you mean to post another source?
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Strong implications.

-Animal products induce inflammatory response in the human body
    -Dietary cholesterol which increases the over all serum cholesterol comes only from animal products. cholesterol is Factor One in arteries disease and heart disease
    -Animal products are normally high in saturated fat, which raises cholesterol on one hand, and on the other hand is easily stored with minimal processing by the liver (the fat you eat is the fat you wear). The human body needs only essential fatty acids and needs zero intake on saturated fats.
    -Animal products contain at least 1000 times more environmental pollutants due to bio-accumulation (the higher in the nutritional pyramid the more accumulated pollution)
    -Animal products are more likely to cause bacterial and viral diseases to humans due to similarities between humans and animals physiology whereas plants physiology is totally different from humans'. Unless the plants are polluted with farm animals faeces

non of the above sounds sexy and healthy to me. But hey, people can be addicted to cigarettes and still look fine. Only time reveals the damage.

Time as in... millions of years that humans have been omnivores?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    And "China Study".

It's so oft-cited that it's easy to make that mistake...or my inferior cognitive abilities caused by my omnivore diet caused me to miss it. Either way, it's marked now.

Do you want to get out in front of that Campbell article? Or do we want to let an omnivore tear it apart instead?

I've seen your work... it's strong stuff. I'll sit back. I normally get the "you can't be vegan because you don't agree with me"
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Strong implications.

-Animal products induce inflammatory response in the human body
    -Dietary cholesterol which increases the over all serum cholesterol comes only from animal products. cholesterol is Factor One in arteries disease and heart disease
    -Animal products are normally high in saturated fat, which raises cholesterol on one hand, and on the other hand is easily stored with minimal processing by the liver (the fat you eat is the fat you wear). The human body needs only essential fatty acids and needs zero intake on saturated fats.
    -Animal products contain at least 1000 times more environmental pollutants due to bio-accumulation (the higher in the nutritional pyramid the more accumulated pollution)
    -Animal products are more likely to cause bacterial and viral diseases to humans due to similarities between humans and animals physiology whereas plants physiology is totally different from humans'. Unless the plants are polluted with farm animals faeces

non of the above sounds sexy and healthy to me. But hey, people can be addicted to cigarettes and still look fine. Only time reveals the damage.

(Note to self: address each of these claims (some slight misinterpretations of available research and others gross distortions of reality...did you seriously just play the "the fat you eat is the fat you wear" cliché???" And the lipid hypothesis?? ...when I'm at a keyboard instead of a phone screen. Unless, of course, someone else does it before me.)
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try the vegan lifestyle. Thanks for posting this, I found a lot of good information.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have opened a can of worms here! (probably not the most appropriate phrase in conversation about vegans!)

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. My personal reason for wanting to go vegan is more for health reasons than the moral aspect. I personally am not a massive fan of the taste of meat and it doesn't particular agree with my digestive system. I'm also struggling with feeling lethargic and bloated all the time. I'm also lactose intolerant so I very rarely consume any dairy products. I will definitely be letting my son try the vegan food I make but I won't be stopping him eat meat as he loves it and at 4, I don't feel that he is old enough to make a conscious decision about it yet especially with seeing his dad still eat meat.

At this point, I am still trying to educate myself about how this will work for me long term so like I said before any tips or advice are really appreciated.