Looking to go Vegan and feeling a bit overwhelmed!

Options
HStheBusyBee
HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
Hi,

I'm looking to lose some weight and adopt a vegan lifestyle but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by this.

Is anyone else doing the same thing and looking for a buddy to stay on track or even just some tips would be amazing!

Replies

• nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, going vegan doesn't always mean loosing weight. There are people who gain weight on vegan diet. Also veganism is too extreme.
    But your choice , just make sure to not follow the 30 day banana diet, mono meals are unhealthy vegan or not. Never follow freelee the banana girl ( she is crazy and disrespectful also an ex anorexic and bulimic, it tells a lot) instead look up vegans who eat varied diet. Don't forget to take supplements as your diet won't provide some vitamins like b12.
  • perfectpounds
    perfectpounds Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive been vegan for 10 months i weigh similar but looks smaller because im never bloated. Also i feel awesome i have so much energy, and i am so proud to not. Contribute to the awful food industry
  • danimcmillen
    danimcmillen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Vegan can mean healthy and it can mean not-healthy. Oreo cookies are vegan, so you can be vegan and not lose weight. But you can be healthy and be vegan. Go on YouTube and find great vegan recipes. I've made amazing chili, soups, tofu, veggie bakes. Chickpeas as a snack is my go to. Just try different foods.
  • veganparisian
    veganparisian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been vegan for almost a year now, and it wasn't for weight reasons. I haven't gain weight, but haven't lost either, mainly because I was eating a lot of non-healthy vegan food , such as Oreo, speculoos, or even homemade vegan cakes (exactly what danimcmillen)
    But now, I'd like to lose a couple of kg, so we could discuss our goals and achievements if you like :smile:
    If you want to be convinced that a healthy vegan lifestyle can make you lose weight, just look at jiliciousjourney on instagram
  • HStheBusyBee
    Options
    I have been cooking as many meals from scratch and experimenting with healthy recipes when I can for the past 18 months which has helped me lose about 15lbs. I eat relatively healthy but I know for definite I'm not eating enough fruit and veg on a daily basis. I don't really like cooking meat or the taste of it and I was a vegetarian for 5 years when I was teenager.

My main concern is how to incorporate this into my house. My son loves meat, cheese, basically everything that is not vegan so I will still have to cook quite a lot of non vegan food.

@veganparisian would love to discuss goals with you!
    @nsa352 That woman seems crazy! She lost me when she likened feeding your children meat to child abuse.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I have been cooking as many meals from scratch and experimenting with healthy recipes when I can for the past 18 months which has helped me lose about 15lbs. I eat relatively healthy but I know for definite I'm not eating enough fruit and veg on a daily basis. I don't really like cooking meat or the taste of it and I was a vegetarian for 5 years when I was teenager.

My main concern is how to incorporate this into my house. My son loves meat, cheese, basically everything that is not vegan so I will still have to cook quite a lot of non vegan food.

@nsa352 That woman seems crazy! She lost me when she likened feeding your children meat to child abuse.

Your son loves tasty food. There's nothing wrong with that. Don't try to incorporate this for other people.
  • HStheBusyBee
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Your son loves tasty food. There's nothing wrong with that. Don't try to incorporate this for other people.

Hi sorry I should've clarified. I will have to cook separate meals which is fine but I dont finish work until 5 so will need to cook in advance or cook really simply in order to be able to cook 2 meals. The main thing I'm looking for is advice and inspiration from people that have made that change. There's no way on earth I would make him go vegan! :)
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about choosing vegetarianism? If being vegan is something you want to do because you feel strongly about it, you go girl! But if it's just a weight loss choice, or if your main objection is to meat, vegetarianism is much more flexible, and if you choose to still offer meat to your son, you won't have to cook 2 meals, just cook the meat separately (several veggies in my family, we always prepare the meat dishes separately, and let everyone serve themselves whatever they prefer)
  • MeganAimee
    MeganAimee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been vegan for three weeks and I've lost 8 lbs so far!!! It's really easy once you figure out what works for you. I have been following a low-fat, high carb (complex carbs) vegan diet. I find this works for a lot of people because you stay fuller longer and don't crave sweets (simple carb) when you give your body what it wants! There are loads of vegan alternatives to foods you'd love being non-vegan. Daiya vegan pizza is very delicious (a lot of restaurants will give you vegan options, too). Also, the coconut chocolate ice cream by the brand "So Good", is just that, sooo goodd. Haha. Feel free to add me. :)
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ive been vegan for 10 months i weigh similar but looks smaller because im never bloated. Also i feel awesome i have so much energy, and i am so proud to not. Contribute to the awful food industry

Wow, you grow and harvest all your own food? Good for you!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Hi sorry I should've clarified. I will have to cook separate meals which is fine but I dont finish work until 5 so will need to cook in advance or cook really simply in order to be able to cook 2 meals. The main thing I'm looking for is advice and inspiration from people that have made that change. There's no way on earth I would make him go vegan! :)

The easiest approach is likely to be for most of your meals to make sides (veggies, grains and/or other starchy carbs) that are vegan (not cooked in stock or with butter, no cheese sauces, etc.), and then the only thing you have to make "extra" is two different entrees. There are a whole host of quick-cooking vegan entrees (tofu, seitan, tempeh, canned beans, frozen and refrigerated meat substitutes), and hopefully you already have some quick-to-the-table non-vegan entrees in your repertoire.

ETA: or you could pre-cook entrees (vegan or non-vegan on the weekend) and freeze in appropriate meal-sized batches, and just thaw in the microwave and heat each evening.
  • buzz28camaro
    buzz28camaro Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    nsa352 wrote: »
    Hi, going vegan doesn't always mean loosing weight. There are people who gain weight on vegan diet. Also veganism is too extreme.

Nothing extreme about realizing most of the developed world lives in such a way to where choosing cruelty free food choices at the grocery store and restaurants is a viable option and adjusting your purchasing habits accordingly.
  • Resonate_
    Resonate_ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What an amazing thread, I didnt know there were others who were on/making transitions, Im also hopefully one day be 100percent vegan, but I dont like labels, Rather be referred as a 'veggie'. Currently, pescatarian here and there, no other meat or diary products.. lots of carbs, fruits, veg.. and starchy carbs..and yes Vegan you can still be unhealthy.. but ultimately it does better for eating whole foods and fruits, plant foods, Meat industry is extreme look at the impacts of animal agriculture - 'Cowspiracy' on Netflix - brilliant documentary. And I agree with BBuzz28camaro above.. Anyways spreading good vibes here :)
  • sault_girl
    Options

Nothing extreme about realizing most of the developed world lives in such a way to where choosing cruelty free food choices at the grocery store and restaurants is a viable option and adjusting your purchasing habits accordingly.

There is also nothing morally superior about it.

The animals we eat probably have much better food, housing, and healthcare than the human beings who pick the bananas.
  • buzz28camaro
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »

The animals we eat probably have much better food, housing, and healthcare than the human beings who pick the bananas.

No one is talking about moral superiority except you, but what would you call it if your two options are either reducing suffering in the world or increasing it and you choose the former?
  • sault_girl
    Options
    Those aren't the options.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been transitioning to a whole-food plant based diet since October for health reasons. I'm about 95% there. There are lots of great resources out there. There is a veg group on here called Happy Herbivores. They have an extensive list of online resources. I really like Lindsay Nixon's cookbooks (Happy Herbivore Light & Lean is good for vegan weight loss). Fatfreevegan.com has a lot of great recipes (not really "fat free" since they incorporate nuts, seeds, avocados and other healthy fats, so more like "oil-free"). I tend to stay away from the meat and cheese analogs and stick with whole foods as much as possible,
    How old is your son? I taught my kids about what I was doing and why, and a lot of them were on board with it. They still like meat and cheese, so I buy the cheese and they can add it to their own food, so I don't have to cook separate meals. Plus most of them are old enough so they're able to make a few things on their own, like topping naan with some spaghetti sauce and cheese and baking it in the oven for a quick cheese pizza, or making their own eggs. Then I can enjoy my broiled veggie-topped flatbread alongside them without much extra work. We do taco night regularly, and they get to assemble their own tacos and pick their toppings, so no extra work there either. Often their side salad at dinner will be my main dish with the addition of some beans, seeds, and an oil-free dressing. I also cook large quantities of food, not only because I have a large family, but also to provide lunch and alternate dinner options to reheat and eat. I also have lots of other meal ideas if you're interested.
    As for being overwhelmed, you can transition rapidly or focus on one small change at a time, like breakfasts for one week, then add healthier lunches the next, then dinners the following week until you are where you want to be. Or work on cutting out eggs, then milk, then cheese. Whatever works best for you.
    Best of luck!
  • buzz28camaro
    Options

Oh ok. Nice rebuttal. You obviously have some hostile opinions towards veganism for some reason if you come onto a thread about someone looking for help transitioning just to argue. Maybe you should try and figure out what specifically it is about people choosing a compassionate lifestyle that upsets you so much.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

*shrugs* I don't care personally. More steak for me. I fully accept that something, plant or animal, must die each day for me to live. That's the way life works on this planet. My only issue with vegan life is the need to take artificial supplements when you can get the stuff you're lacking in actual food. I'm all about being kind and choosing organic and free range foods but I don't want my health to suffer from it.

All that aside. Nothing wrong with vegan so long as you're doing it for yourself. Best of luck.
  • sault_girl
    Options

Oh ok. Nice rebuttal. You obviously have some hostile opinions towards veganism for some reason if you come onto a thread about someone looking for help transitioning just to argue. Maybe you should try and figure out what specifically it is about people choosing a compassionate lifestyle that upsets you so much.

I think it's just that they think they are choosing a compassionate lifestyle and non-vegans are not.