I feel like giving up.

Options
I honestly feel like giving up. I posted a topic asking if my routine which is walking and also doing but and thigh workouts would help because of my flabby thighs and everybody says no. I just lost all my motivation. What's the point then? I can't afford a gym because I don't work and yes I've applied and nobody is hiring because I'm still in high school and I don't have my diploma yet.

This is how I look
My body in a bathing suit - http://i.imgur.com/uAvHi2f.jpg
My body I'n clothes - http://i.imgur.com/xfk0Ytw.jpg

I do have strech marks also which make my thighs even more flabby looking. It's gross. I just lost all my motivation.

Replies

• kyliebrad88
    Options
    try looking up leg workouts on youtube and add those into your workout if you keep doing it everyday yo will see a change
  • mouxza
    mouxza Posts: 1
    Options
    Try doing some more cardio, you don't need a gym! Try going on brisker walks, jogs or even runs. If there are hills near your house try running up and down them (even walking when you get tired). Sometimes I run up and down my stairs for a while and you feel it the next day. My go to leg work outs are squats, lunges and donkey kicks. Don't stop when you get tired! Good Luck!!!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Healthy diet for losing the fat and squats and lunges for toning up thighs and butt. And you don't need a gym for either one.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Don't give up just because you didn't like the suggestions/criticism you were given. Just work harder.
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sorry but everybody saying its not enough is right.walking is not really any workout.need to step up your game,watch your diet..for toning you will have to do lot of sweating.good luck
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I have walked over 300 miles in the last 3 months and firmly attribute walking to the loss of 5 inches in my hips and 3 inches in my thighs. Plus, I'm getting some pretty killer looking calves.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Sorry but everybody saying its not enough is right.walking is not really any workout.need to step up your game,watch your diet..for toning you will have to do lot of sweating.good luck

I call "BS" on this.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Why should the opinion of total strangers matter to you? Your first matter of business should be to not give a flying fig.

Your next goal should be to work on your self confidence. Mind over matter. If you think you can do something, YOU WILL.

You have age to your advantage. Use it. I started small. I worked up. You will feel when it's time to step it up.
  • chantelle0312
    chantelle0312 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    you look great as you are yh i think walking more would work well like idk if you switch to walking everywhere that takes less than a hour to get to and allways using the stairs a day it will add up alot it works for my legs but i walk fast and but i wish i had more thighs haha the only problem with walking as a 'work out' is it takes a long time to get you tired like 6 hours of just walking but its still a good change to make and it will make a difference.
    and obviously thigh workouts will tone up your thighs dont give up you should see results if you stick at it.
    also vics vapour rub is meant to be great for stretch marks i dont know but i have seen alot about it.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You look good as you are. I hope you know that.

However, if you'd like to be more toned, you can do squats, lunges, etc., to build more muscle -- no gym needed.

You can also swim in that pool you were laying by. ;)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

You realize that doesn't actually make any sense, right?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/HQ01612

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/getting-started-guides/Pages/getting-started-walking.aspx
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your attitude toward your body, that might help. You look fine from the pics you posted. I seriously think you're seeing more than is there.

You want to lose fat? Eat at a caloric deficit. You want to work on your body composition? Exercise. You don't need a gym membership, do body weight exercises, squats, climb some stairs, go for a run, jump up on things, pick up heavy things that are just laying around, and put the back down...repeat. You can do this if you want to do this. If you don't, no amount of encouragement or "You can do it" is going to help.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Toning is the hardest part - since I've almost made it to goal, now I need to start toning and I am sweating my butt off. Look up thinks on youtube or pinterest for toning ideas for you trouble spots. I did look at your photos, and you look great to me from what I could see. Maybe instead of walking - power walk or do a little jogging, also get some hand weights (I have everywhere from 1 pounds to 15 pound ones) I got mine at Target.

Just work on dropping body fat also, I think you'll be happy with the results :)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have big thighs as well and they jiggle. They've gotten smaller since I started lifting weights...but when I first started out I lost the most in my thighs when I started running. Have you considered changing you walking routine to a running routine? I've seen a lot of people use the C25K program...it's free and you can find it online.

Also do strength training at home. Squats and lunges with heavy weights. Don't have heavy weights? Improvise....fill milk gallon jugs with water or sand. If you're going to do squats make sure you use proper form...youtube it. otherwise you can injure your knees.

If you implement running and leg exercises with weight and watch your diet...you should be able to reduce some size in your thighs. I might mention, however, by lifting heavy weights you may increase "weight" on the scale, but the inches should fall off. Don't lose hope and if you want it to work you must be consistent.
  • chelcdub
    chelcdub Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Why would you give up so easy? That's what I would ask myself if I was willing to throw any progress or any possible progress down the drain. I know I'm ready to make a lifestyle change because when no one was able to tell me what workout would be best for abs, I researched and researched for myself. I didn't give up because my problem area would still be there if I found the solution from a friend or not. It's very important you make sure you're not using excuses...if you are, you may not be ready to honestly change.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't let others get to you. Don't give up! I let one person get to me about 3 months ago and have since lost 20lbs. Made me get my butt into gear! You don't need a gym to do workouts just do what feels comfortable to you and stick with it each day. Logging all my food and exercise has made me see a difference.
  • ldilone13354
    ldilone13354 Posts: 125
    Options
    I have big thighs as well and they jiggle. They've gotten smaller since I started lifting weights...but when I first started out I lost the most in my thighs when I started running. Have you considered changing you walking routine to a running routine? I've seen a lot of people use the C25K program...it's free and you can find it online.

Also do strength training at home. Squats and lunges with heavy weights. Don't have heavy weights? Improvise....fill milk gallon jugs with water or sand. If you're going to do squats make sure you use proper form...youtube it. otherwise you can injure your knees.

If you implement running and leg exercises with weight and watch your diet...you should be able to reduce some size in your thighs. I might mention, however, by lifting heavy weights you may increase "weight" on the scale, but the inches should fall off. Don't lose hope and if you want it to work you must be consistent.

I own dumbells that are 5 pounds. Maybe that could work when doing squats?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My guess is you misinterpreted what people were saying when they said, "No."

You can't spot reduce fat. It comes off where it comes off, and often our "problem areas" are the places they come off last.

Walking is okay cardio if you can walk at a pace to raise your heart rate, and raising your heart rate is what makes it cardio.

As for "toning," I'm not sure what you're necessarily doing--by butt and thigh workouts, are you doing body weight-style aerobics? That'll be mildly strengthening to your muscles and predominantly cardio... again, which is fine.

Quicker/more noticeable changes in your thighs/butt/body overall will come from a bit more "oomph," like weight lifting and HIIT for cardio. Yoga/pilates is good step before these, though, in terms of cardio and body weight training.

If you're looking to just target making your thighs/butt smaller, you ultimately just have to keep eating at a deficit and, ideally, incorporate strength training and some cardio.
  • lbehrendt2
    Options
    First of all, you look beautiful in those pictures.

Second: don't listen to every piece of advice you hear. People assume that what works for them will work for everyone. Not true. Everyone is different. If advice sounds mean or abusive, ignore it. If the advice makes you feel like giving up, then it's terrible advice.

Third: try to avoid thinking about whether you're doing it "right". That's a trap. Just do things that are good for you. Be open to change -- change is fun -- but don't worry if someone thinks you can do it better.

Fourth: doing something is always better than doing nothing.

Fifth: be patient. This is hard. But the idea we get from TV that you'll see results in a few weeks -- that's nonsense.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    walking ( 4mph or better) WILL change your thighs... I am a walk runner, I do 20 + miles a week... change up your speeds into intervals.. faster for 2 minutes, slower for 3 and then move up gradually ( over a couple of weeks) into 2 minutes drills 2 minutes fast/jog walk two minutes slower jog walk I have lost considerable inches off my thighs/ rear doing this .
    Do this for you sweety.. find what works for you.. you are worth the effort to do this!!