I feel like giving up.

Options

Replies

• ldilone13354
    ldilone13354 Posts: 125
    Options
    You need to start joggin. Walking isn't going to cut it. Also - get some skin firming lotion. That will help.

Will do.thank you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    There is no point. To anything. Ever.

All we are is dust in the wind, dude.

Dust.

Wind.

Dude.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You need to start joggin. Walking isn't going to cut it. Also - get some skin firming lotion. That will help.
    Sorry, I don't agree at all.

Why is it people think this? I knew a lady who was over 300 lbs and whom lost it all and REALLY trimmed up by walking and diet alone and that was 30 years ago. Nothing has changed.

Walking CAN and will help a person lose body fat if they do it at a good pace and for extended periods and will no cause the joint damage that running can (been there done that).
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    Sorry, I don't agree at all.

Why is it people think this? I knew a lady who was over 300 lbs and whom lost it all and REALLY trimmed up by walking and diet alone and that was 30 years ago. Nothing has changed.

Walking CAN and will help a person lose body fat if they do it at a good pace and for extended periods and will no cause the joint damage that running can (been there done that).

Your right. I've actually lose 75 pounds by walking alone and eating healthy which was in 2011 and now I weight 149 or less because I've been working out. I used to be 175lbs. I plan on jogging every morning and I'll do 50 squats with my dumbells every other day.

Here's a picture of my body. http://i.imgur.com/AYd1FJe.jpg

My thighs are flappy because of genetics and so since I have strech marks on them they look worse.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    Sorry but everybody saying its not enough is right.walking is not really any workout.need to step up your game,watch your diet..for toning you will have to do lot of sweating.good luck

You realize that doesn't actually make any sense, right?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/HQ01612

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/getting-started-guides/Pages/getting-started-walking.aspx
    This is exactly why Im not posting on these forums any more..yes walking is better than nothing but pls,we are talking fitness here...end of my post and its my last one..do whatever you want to do..

These kinds of posts confuse me.

Walking IS a good thing to do for fitness. No it isn't high intensity and no it isn't going to rip you up in a week but walking IS a good form of exercise and more people out to do it. Not everyone wants to run or hit the gym like a mad man (been there, done that).
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    Sorry but everybody saying its not enough is right.walking is not really any workout.need to step up your game,watch your diet..for toning you will have to do lot of sweating.good luck

You realize that doesn't actually make any sense, right?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/HQ01612

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/getting-started-guides/Pages/getting-started-walking.aspx
    This is exactly why Im not posting on these forums any more..yes walking is better than nothing but pls,we are talking fitness here...end of my post and its my last one..do whatever you want to do..

These kinds of posts confuse me.

Walking IS a good thing to do for fitness. No it isn't high intensity and no it isn't going to rip you up in a week but walking IS a good form of exercise and more people out to do it. Not everyone wants to run or hit the gym like a mad man (been there, done that).

Lol true. Did you get the chance to read the post above yours that I replied?
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    My thighs are flappy because of genetics and so since I have strech marks on them they look worse.

I'm not sure I agree here either. Genetics isn't the problem: diet is.

I haven't looked at your dairy but I'd be surprised if it was the sort of diet that keeps the fat off. Do you eat Olive Oil? Studies show that women who eat olive oil daily tend to be lighter (I'd have to do some searches to find them but you could too). Simple carbs must be kept to a bare minimum and should be natural not refined (honey vs sugar) and staying away from what we used to call 'white death' helps (white bread, white rice, potatoes, mayo/mireacle whip, sugar, refined salt etc).
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    Yup read them all ;)
  • newsharonkay
    newsharonkay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Honey don't give up. A very brisk walk will help. My trainer says we cant spot lose that our bodies decide where we will lose first. Diet and exercise at least 4-5 x a week for at least 30 minutes is a good start. The trick is that you have to keep your heart rate at least 10 minutes at a time. So try 10 minute fast walk and then slow down catch your breath for 1 minutes then back to fast. Its called intervals and I had to do them on treadmill today but you can do them outside on your own.....Friend me and I will help encourage you all the way...
  • Charlesray1943
    Charlesray1943 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hear you, and I totally understand. I read a couple of quotes on hasfit.com that keep me going. "dont give up what you want most for what you want now," and "I don't quit when I'm tired, I quit when I'm done." That website has a ton of free video workouts.....many that are short. Perhaps a short, high intensity workout will jump start your metabolism and reignite your motivation. I am a fan of CT5K also.....I never thought I'd be a runner, so if I can do it, anyone can. I'm still heavier than I'd like, but I have very little cellulite, and I contribute that to running and short lower body workouts on DVDs and the Internet. Thank you for sharing your struggle. I am very frustrated myself, and it is nice to know that others find the journey a grueling one, rather than an exciting adventure. Btw, you are your worst critic. You have nothing to hide, and you need to be proud that you are doing it......hang in there! (gosh, I wish I could listen to my own advice). Good luck!
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    Honey don't give up. A very brisk walk will help. My trainer says we cant spot lose that our bodies decide where we will lose first. Diet and exercise at least 4-5 x a week for at least 30 minutes is a good start. The trick is that you have to keep your heart rate at least 10 minutes at a time. So try 10 minute fast walk and then slow down catch your breath for 1 minutes then back to fast. Its called intervals and I had to do them on treadmill today but you can do them outside on your own.....Friend me and I will help encourage you all the way...

Another good one is what I call 'pole to pole' runs. You walk for a given distance (in my case two miles) at a brisk pace to really get warmed up, then run/job between telephone poles (where I do this they are 100 yards apart) alternating between poles (run 100 yards, walk 100 yards). I do this for 2 miles.

The idea is that you get your heart rate up to the desired level and it never fully drops back down when you take a break and walk. It's a good way to increase the calorie burn when mostly walking and for those of us who HATE running! lol
  • Charlesray1943
    Charlesray1943 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ps. Don't pay attention to my user name, I'm a 40 yr old woman, not a 70 yr old man.;)
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Anything you do will benefit you but giving up is the only thing that will not be beneficial keep on keeping on:happy:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Look, the key to weight loss is diet. The key to body recomposition is exercise. Everyone has their own pet theory about what works, but you know what? You are going to be the expert in YOU. Walk. Walk as much as you can. If it gets too easy, make it harder. That's all this game is, adaptive fitness. Whatever exercise you do, your body will adapt. If it gets easy, make it harder. Wash rinse repeat. Squats and lunges help build muscle in your legs. I don't use a gym and I've lost 118 lbs since October 1. Personally, I love kettlebells, but I can honestly recommend user FitnessBlender on YouTube. Look up any and all of their workouts on YouTube and see which one works for you. Do it for a month. Weigh and measure yourself during this time. Take before / after pictures. If you get good results, keep doing it. If you don't get good results, experiment and find something that does give you good results.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    I hear you, and I totally understand. I read a couple of quotes on hasfit.com that keep me going. "dont give up what you want most for what you want now," and "I don't quit when I'm tired, I quit when I'm done." That website has a ton of free video workouts.....many that are short. Perhaps a short, high intensity workout will jump start your metabolism and reignite your motivation. I am a fan of CT5K also.....I never thought I'd be a runner, so if I can do it, anyone can. I'm still heavier than I'd like, but I have very little cellulite, and I contribute that to running and short lower body workouts on DVDs and the Internet. Thank you for sharing your struggle. I am very frustrated myself, and it is nice to know that others find the journey a grueling one, rather than an exciting adventure. Btw, you are your worst critic. You have nothing to hide, and you need to be proud that you are doing it......hang in there! (gosh, I wish I could listen to my own advice). Good luck!

Indeed! It is a grueling brutal task with no help from the local grocer! lol
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Mix up your walks. Add in walking lunges forwards and backwards, walk up and down hills, walk through the park and do step ups or, if you're conditioned, box jumps on the bench. There are tons of great free workouts on youtube. A great one for the trouble spots you want to focus on is the butt bible. The entire system is on youtube if you look for it. It focuses on lower body with some strength and cardio worked in. Don't just focus on your legs/thighs because they are what trouble you the most. Do full body workouts, body weight is fine for now. Good old fashioned calisthenics. Break up the walks by doing simple circuits of squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups, wall sits. Your trouble zones are going to take a long time to respond. Be patient, be consistent. But also remember to clean up your diet a bit too. Lastly and most importantly, know that you are a beautiful woman! Love yourself, and embrace the flaws while you work to change them.Good lucK!
  • ldilone13354
    Options

I haven't looked at your dairy but I'd be surprised if it was the sort of diet that keeps the fat off. Do you eat Olive Oil? Studies show that women who eat olive oil daily tend to be lighter (I'd have to do some searches to find them but you could too). Simple carbs must be kept to a bare minimum and should be natural not refined (honey vs sugar) and staying away from what we used to call 'white death' helps (white bread, white rice, potatoes, mayo/mireacle whip, sugar, refined salt etc).

No I don't eat olive oil. Only once with salad and it was amazing!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel like giving up. I posted a topic asking if my routine which is walking and also doing but and thigh workouts would help because of my flabby thighs and everybody says no. I just lost all my motivation.

Don't rely on other people to validate your plan for motivation...

I started with starting walking to and from work for a couple months. An extra 5km of walking each day made a huge difference.
    I try to take the stairs when I can, and will even change my path to add stairs in.

Then, I started with the treadmill so that I could increase my pace and get more time and distance logged on nice steep hills.

As far as cardio and fat loss, walking is very good. It's not cycling or running, but it's good, low impact work.

It, however, doesn't really do much for toning... that's where resistance and weights come in.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    yea girlfriend... you don't need a gym to work legs. Squats and Lunges will do amazing things over time. Google and youtube is your best friend for workouts ;-)
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options

:SMH: NO.

<~~ CALORIE DEFICIT AND STRENGTH AND CARDIO WORKOUTS.

Stop over complicating things.