I feel like giving up.

Options

Replies

• ldilone13354
    ldilone13354 Posts: 125
    Options
    Honey don't give up. A very brisk walk will help. My trainer says we cant spot lose that our bodies decide where we will lose first. Diet and exercise at least 4-5 x a week for at least 30 minutes is a good start. The trick is that you have to keep your heart rate at least 10 minutes at a time. So try 10 minute fast walk and then slow down catch your breath for 1 minutes then back to fast. Its called intervals and I had to do them on treadmill today but you can do them outside on your own.....Friend me and I will help encourage you all the way...

Another good one is what I call 'pole to pole' runs. You walk for a given distance (in my case two miles) at a brisk pace to really get warmed up, then run/job between telephone poles (where I do this they are 100 yards apart) alternating between poles (run 100 yards, walk 100 yards). I do this for 2 miles.

The idea is that you get your heart rate up to the desired level and it never fully drops back down when you take a break and walk. It's a good way to increase the calorie burn when mostly walking and for those of us who HATE running! lol

Thing is... I noticed that when I run after a while my whole body starts itching so bad and the itch is like so bad like a burning sensation.it starts at my thighs and the. Goes to my stomach, neck and arms. Scratching doesn't help, makes it wrose.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    yea girlfriend... you don't need a gym to work legs. Squats and Lunges will do amazing things over time. Google and youtube is your best friend for workouts ;-)

I downloaded a squat app that is like a virtual coach. I'll do lunges too. :)
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I feel like giving up all.the.time. Just keep at it. I keep telling myself "what's the alternative?" I either do it, or I don't. And I know I'd just be super unhappy if I didn't do it & stayed fat forever. Good luck dear, you got this! :)
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The butt and thigh workouts would help if you do them in addition to a nice cardio workout, which if you're walking you are. You will see results eventually but it just takes time.

As far as giving up, sometimes you have to take a break, step back and re-evaluate everything, then get back to it. It's what I had to do. I mean I pretty much lost all motivation and went into a deep dark hole. But it gave me time to figure out what I'd been doing wrong and how to fix it. Now I'm back, starting slowly but getting there.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sorry but everybody saying its not enough is right.walking is not really any workout.need to step up your game,watch your diet..for toning you will have to do lot of sweating.good luck

I call "BS" on this.

Me too
    Any exercise is good exercise.
    Keep doing things you like and enjoy and your bound stick with for the rest of your life :happy:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel like giving up. I posted a topic asking if my routine which is walking and also doing but and thigh workouts would help because of my flabby thighs and everybody says no. I just lost all my motivation. What's the point then? I can't afford a gym because I don't work and yes I've applied and nobody is hiring because I'm still in high school and I don't have my diploma yet.

This is how I look
    My body in a bathing suit - http://i.imgur.com/uAvHi2f.jpg
    My body I'n clothes - http://i.imgur.com/xfk0Ytw.jpg

I do have strech marks also which make my thighs even more flabby looking. It's gross. I just lost all my motivation.

Who said no?

Walking will help, but if you are doing walking as your exercise routine, you need to be speedier than just ambling along.

ALL exercise is useful, but it also needs to have a sensible eating plan working alongside it.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Sorry but everybody saying its not enough is right.walking is not really any workout.need to step up your game,watch your diet..for toning you will have to do lot of sweating.good luck

I call "BS" on this.

Me too, walking is fine.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    yea girlfriend... you don't need a gym to work legs. Squats and Lunges will do amazing things over time. Google and youtube is your best friend for workouts ;-)

Plenty people here seem to swear by "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren (book on Amazon, plenty of Youtube videos)
  • Charlesray1943
    Charlesray1943 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That itching should stop after a few days/weeks of running spurts or jogging. My dr said it is the blood getting into the tiny capillaries ......improved circulation! Kind of like a crop irrigation system in a grove or orchard, only in your body.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    The butt and thigh workouts would help if you do them in addition to a nice cardio workout, which if you're walking you are. You will see results eventually but it just takes time.

As far as giving up, sometimes you have to take a break, step back and re-evaluate everything, then get back to it. It's what I had to do. I mean I pretty much lost all motivation and went into a deep dark hole. But it gave me time to figure out what I'd been doing wrong and how to fix it. Now I'm back, starting slowly but getting there.

Thank you for your advice!! :)
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    That itching should stop after a few days/weeks of running spurts or jogging. My dr said it is the blood getting into the tiny capillaries ......improved circulation! Kind of like a crop irrigation system in a grove or orchard, only in your body.

Okay great, I thought it was just me. :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My thighs are flappy because of genetics and so since I have strech marks on them they look worse.

I'm not sure I agree here either. Genetics isn't the problem: diet is.

I haven't looked at your dairy but I'd be surprised if it was the sort of diet that keeps the fat off. Do you eat Olive Oil? Studies show that women who eat olive oil daily tend to be lighter (I'd have to do some searches to find them but you could too). Simple carbs must be kept to a bare minimum and should be natural not refined (honey vs sugar) and staying away from what we used to call 'white death' helps (white bread, white rice, potatoes, mayo/mireacle whip, sugar, refined salt etc).

:SMH: NO.

<~~ CALORIE DEFICIT AND STRENGTH AND CARDIO WORKOUTS.

Stop over complicating things.

^^ QFT.

OP, if you want to reduce "jiggle" (i.e. body fat) anywhere on your body, the only way you can do that is to eat at a sensible caloric deficit. There is no magic food out there that will burn off fat, nor can you spot-reduce fat from any one place on your body with a particular exercise - your genes will decide that for you. We can't see your diary, so no one can make any suggestions about how to improve your intake, but here's what I suggest:

1. Figure out your TDEE, and cut about 15% off that number - this would be a reasonable amount to eat every day
    2. Focus mostly on staying in your calorie goal, eating foods that you enjoy. Use a scale to figure out proper serving sizes, and record everything faithfully in your diary so you can keep track. Eating a good amount of protein every day (about 1 g/ lb of lean body mass) and fat (about 0.35g/lb total body mass) will help fuel you and your muscles - you want to try to keep your lean body mass (muscles) as much as possible so you have that nice "toned" look you're after once the body fat is gone.
    3. Walking is great. You can burn a lot of calories with walking, which will allow you to eat more during the day.
    4. If you can, incorporate some strength training. Folks here have suggested bodyweight exercises or exercises with dumbbells etc - all great suggestions. Again, this will help you keep your muscle.
    5. Be patient. It doesn't look like you have much to lose, so you're at the hardest part - you must expect weight loss to be slow at this point; that's really normal. Stick with it, be consistent, fuel your body and challenge it to work harder via strength training.

You got this.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    My thighs are flappy because of genetics and so since I have strech marks on them they look worse.

I haven't looked at your dairy but I'd be surprised if it was the sort of diet that keeps the fat off. Do you eat Olive Oil? Studies show that women who eat olive oil daily tend to be lighter (I'd have to do some searches to find them but you could too). Simple carbs must be kept to a bare minimum and should be natural not refined (honey vs sugar) and staying away from what we used to call 'white death' helps (white bread, white rice, potatoes, mayo/mireacle whip, sugar, refined salt etc).

^^ QFT.

OP, if you want to reduce "jiggle" (i.e. body fat) anywhere on your body, the only way you can do that is to eat at a sensible caloric deficit. There is no magic food out there that will burn off fat, nor can you spot-reduce fat from any one place on your body with a particular exercise - your genes will decide that for you. We can't see your diary, so no one can make any suggestions about how to improve your intake, but here's what I suggest:

1. Figure out your TDEE, and cut about 15% off that number - this would be a reasonable amount to eat every day
    2. Focus mostly on staying in your calorie goal, eating foods that you enjoy. Use a scale to figure out proper serving sizes, and record everything faithfully in your diary so you can keep track. Eating a good amount of protein every day (about 1 g/ lb of lean body mass) and fat (about 0.35g/lb total body mass) will help fuel you and your muscles - you want to try to keep your lean body mass (muscles) as much as possible so you have that nice "toned" look you're after once the body fat is gone.
    3. Walking is great. You can burn a lot of calories with walking, which will allow you to eat more during the day.
    4. If you can, incorporate some strength training. Folks here have suggested bodyweight exercises or exercises with dumbbells etc - all great suggestions. Again, this will help you keep your muscle.
    5. Be patient. It doesn't look like you have much to lose, so you're at the hardest part - you must expect weight loss to be slow at this point; that's really normal. Stick with it, be consistent, fuel your body and challenge it to work harder via strength training.

You got this.

I love your advice. :) I basicallly wake up early in the morning to go for a walk but I'll start jogging now a long distance.

What I eat for breakfast is Special K cereal and then few minutes later I drink water and I feel good.
    For a snack I eat fruits, or oatmeal.
    For lunch I eat a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato with a fruit on the side and water,
    For snack the same the fruit or maybe veggies.
    For dinner I eat a fulfilling meal that includes beans and whole grain rice and chicken with a salad.
    And sometime for dinner I switch it up
  • cmeiron
    Options

^^ QFT.

You got this.

I love your advice. :) I basicallly wake up early in the morning to go for a walk but I'll start jogging now a long distance.

What I eat for breakfast is Special K cereal and then few minutes later I drink water and I feel good.
    For lunch I eat a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato with a fruit on the side and water,
    For dinner I eat a fulfilling meal that includes beans and whole grain rice and chicken with a salad.

Those sound like good choices, though perhaps a little light on the protein :) Don't be afraid to mix it up a bit, try new things, and enjoy some treats! Be aware, though, that it IS possible to take in too make calories eating "healthy" food. Again, it's important to measure/weigh your food so you have an accurate picture of your intake (not too low, nor too high). Try doing this for at least a couple of weeks so you can get a "feel" for what good portions look like.
  • ldilone13354
    Options

^^ QFT.

You got this.

Those sound like good choices, though perhaps a little light on the protein :) Don't be afraid to mix it up a bit, try new things, and enjoy some treats! Be aware, though, that it IS possible to take in too make calories eating "healthy" food. Again, it's important to measure/weigh your food so you have an accurate picture of your intake (not too low, nor too high). Try doing this for at least a couple of weeks so you can get a "feel" for what good portions look like.

Yeah I have to buy protein bars which I love. For my portions intake it's not big. Its a portion for weightless. :)
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    I have a question. How many times can I have a cheat meal? Can I once a week or once a month? :)
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    are you taking the piss? i look at your images expecting to see someone overweight. why are you even on this site? you've got a hot body with a pretty face. taxi for Idilone!
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can always listen to people. I dont care if they think they know it all because did a certain way. Every body works differently. I for one ALWAYS lose inches in my thighs, hips, abs... if i just simply walk and do stairs. I think that you have to find out what works for you along with your good diet of course.
  • cmeiron
    Options

Yeah I have to buy protein bars which I love. For my portions intake it's not big. Its a portion for weightless. :)
    [/quote]

Again, "big" or "small" portions are relative terms, and quite meaningless when it comes to tracking calories. If you're not measuring, you really have no idea what you're eating. It could be far too much or far too little. It's really a non-negotiable component of this whole thing if you're serious about it.

Protein bars are a nice supplement, but you can probably get adequate protein with real food. Eggs and/or greek yogurt at breakfast; lean meat or fish with lunch, hard boiled eggs or pepperettes as a snack, slightly larger servings of meat at dinner...there are lots of options!
  • ldilone13354
    Options

Again, "big" or "small" portions are relative terms, and quite meaningless when it comes to tracking calories. If you're not measuring, you really have no idea what you're eating. It could be far too much or far too little. It's really a non-negotiable component of this whole thing if you're serious about it.

Protein bars are a nice supplement, but you can probably get adequate protein with real food. Eggs and/or greek yogurt at breakfast; lean meat or fish with lunch, hard boiled eggs or pepperettes as a snack, slightly larger servings of meat at dinner...there are lots of options!
    [/quote]

Yes of course. I'm going to the grocery store this Friday and I'm buying everything you mentioned. I love fish so much. Is it bad to fry an egg? I don't really like boiled ones. Eh