My boyfriend is 12 years older than me. Do guys want kids quite soon after marriage?

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I think I'll just back out now, OP. You have been dating this guy for a while without your parents knowing yet your just turned legal age of consent for someone that much older than you in most states so you know there was something wrong or you wouldn't have hid it for so long. So no, I'm just going to say good luck with that .

+1
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • Krishnaya108
    Krishnaya108 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My husband is 11 years older than I am. He was 42 when our daughter was born. Age was never an issue. Not sure why you're making it into one.

I'm not making it into one. I just wanted to see about the kids part.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I think I'll just back out now, OP. You have been dating this guy for a while without your parents knowing yet your just turned legal age of consent for someone that much older than you in most states so you know there was something wrong or you wouldn't have hid it for so long. So no, I'm just going to say good luck with that .

Exactly. She says she has known him for 8 yrs ( she would've been 10? When she met him ) and that their maturity level matches one another. So yeah, I'm backing out slowly..

Ah. Okay, this explains the "let's ask the interwebs what my SO thinks" approach to her relationship . . .
  • Krishnaya108
    edited March 2016
    Options

Exactly. She says she has known him for 8 yrs ( she would've been 10? When she met him ) and that their maturity level matches one another. So yeah, I'm backing out slowly..

Ah. Okay, this explains the "let's ask the interwebs what my SO thinks" approach to her relationship . . .

I wasn't necessarily seeking advice from people on here. I just wanted to see peoples' perspectives.
  • Krishnaya108
    Options

When we met, we were more like acquaintances. I moved from Hawaii. We then started talking to each other last April. That's when our relationship actually started.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The best thing about dating an 18 year old is they can't get into the bar to see you out with your wife.

Wait, you have a wife?!
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

When we met, we were more like acquaintances. I moved from Hawaii. We then started talking to each other last April. That's when our relationship actually started.

knowing each other for 8 years and being acquaintances for 8 years are two totally different things, darlin
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my magic eight balls says....

"prospects not good"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    You should probably talk to your boyfriend about this rather than a bunch of strangers.
    THIS. If you have no idea about how he feels about this subject, then how can you consider marriage?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Hello, my boyfriend is 12 years older than me. There's a possibility that I will get married when I'm 20 or 22. Do older guys want kids only after couple years of marriage? I personally don't want kids until my late 20s or early 30s. I just feel like they're a huge responsibility and I won't have much time to have fun. Plus, I want to make the most out of my career before having kids. Thoughts?

If your concern is having fun, you aren't ready for kids.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Dating = sex? That's a big assumption.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Presumably they are not having sex, as " Within our religion, we don't eat meat, have illicit sex, gamble, or have any kind of intoxicants."
  • ndj1979
    Options

yea, that is totally weird....

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    my magic eight balls says....

"prospects not good"

based on OP's comment about knowing boyfriend since age 10...my magic eight ball now says..."get the hell out of this thread"
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Can be, but I have 4 daughters, 3 of them as old or older than the OP and I'm not naive or blind enough to believe that you are dating someone at 16 and not engaging in some type of sexual activity. The average age for girls and boys to lose their virginity, let alone have some type of non-intercourse, sexual activity is a lot lower than most parents would like to believe. That's just the facts of life and I accepted that long ago.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Can be, but I have 4 daughters, 3 of them as old or older than the OP and I'm not naive or blind enough to believe that you are dating someone at 16 and not engaging in some type of sexual activity. The average age for girls and boys to lose their virginity, let alone have some type of non-intercourse, sexual activity is a lot lower than most parents would like to believe. That's just the facts of life and I accepted that long ago.

stop being a realist!
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Presumably they are not having sex, as " Within our religion, we don't eat meat, have illicit sex, gamble, or have any kind of intoxicants."

Religion doesn't stop sexual activity, that's a convinient lie a lot of parents like to tell themselves. Not saying this person in particular, since I don't know them, but being mormon (by the looks of it) doesn't stop pregnancy out of wedlock. My ex-wife's family were all mormons and there was more than a handful pregnant and then married couples in their church.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    nade0069 wrote: »
    Really? This is a conversation to have with HIM not internet nobodies.....

I just like to see the variety of responses I get and different people's perspectives.

Other peoples percpective does not matter. This is a personal matter for you to discuss with your boyfriend not with complete strangers. What is right for one person is not for the other.

If they matter to her, they matter. And she's here on a discussion forum to discuss it. Seems okay to me. What she actually does is her business and will probably stay that way. In the meantime, she's open to listening to the rest of us.

About whether her boyfriend wants kids?

OK. Yes, her boyfriend, a man I have never met and probably never will, is absolutely going to want children the day after they get married. That's my perspective. Hope it was helpful!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

stop being a realist!

Sorry, bad habit. :blush:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I would have serious qualms about dating a girl that I knew when she was ten years old....that just screams wrong to me...

This discussion has been closed.