Options
13»

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    poteatkd wrote: »
    Bookmarking this thread...a lot of good info here to research on.

I'm currently having trouble with flat heeled squats as well.

For close to 20 years, I played baseball and softball and the majority of those years I was a catcher.

As a catcher, while I squatted in position, I was primarily squatting on my toes for improved reaction time during play.

I have a really hard time staying flat footed and feel I am failing with squats. I don't want to fail!

Any suggestions, links, etc are greatly appreciated.

Good thread.

I have the same problem, minus the catcher bit. Squatting to squat, I'm fine. Squatting like lifters, face plant or continuous teetering. I've been told to squat through my heels, don't lean forward, and go A2G. Since I can't squat like a lifter and it feels super unnatural, I don't bother squatting.

The articles above are pretty clear that you don't need to go ATG to benefit from squatting. Here, let me post this again: https://www.t-nation.com/training/squat-depth-the-final-answer
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    SO...if you are not a powerlifter...do you get more benefit squatting with flat shoes and getting to parallel but not below, or using squat shoes and getting below parallel?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Bret Contreras posted another short article on squat depth today. This one is on femur length and he highlights some other issues at the end. https://bretcontreras.com/how-femur-length-effects-squat-mechanics/
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited March 2016
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    SO...if you are not a powerlifter...do you get more benefit squatting with flat shoes and getting to parallel but not below, or using squat shoes and getting below parallel?

If you're not doing olympic lifts (which are assisted by a deep squat), and you can hit paraellel why avoiding butt wink, then you don't "need" weightlifting shoes. That's based on the above articles and other advice, so please don't think I'm representing that I have any expertise in this area aside from personal experience and tired reading eyes. I'll also add wear what is most comfortable for you.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Fused ankle. Raised is only way I can squat.
  • 45strotter
    45strotter Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't stress over it! Lifting your heels is great for helping you get set back into your squat and going a little lower. More importantly is making sure your knees are not going over your toes. So if it helps with your form than lift your heels. I do both! Have been lifting for a few years and will occasionally go back to lifting my heels!!! Goblet squats are also great to add in !!!! Start with body weight and really work on form!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Your body won't normally let you into ranges of motion that it doesn't trust you with.

Most people don't realise that to gain range of motion in your limbs, you should probably work on core and trunk stability first. You then need to build movement patterns from various positions that build up from basic to more advanced (i.e. for squats you can work on core stability and breathing/bracing in the 90/90 supine position, then side lying position, etc).

Basically weak and/or unstable positions tell your body to shut down range. Work on getting stable and you'll get more mobility guaranteed.

As to heels/no heels, pick a squat variation that conforms to your body type and progress it (look for good squatters with your body type/proportions and see what they are up to, try out a few close-cousin variations until you find what clicks for you...)