How much weight loss before people start noticing?

Options

Replies

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Some people started noticing around 10 lbs loss but not many have said much yet and I've lost about 18 lbs
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've lost ~8lbs (can't remember what my tracker says) and my coworkers have been making comments. One of my supervisors especially but I think she's doing it to be catty. Either way I still accept the praise.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Started getting some vague comments about looking well around 30 lb down. Got people actually talking about weight loss around 60 lb down. I think a lot of it is that people don't want to say anything until they're really, really sure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Curious about this, how much weight did you loss before people started noticing? I've lost 17/18lbs 9kg since New Years so far all thats noticed is my mother and well mothers always notice that anyway so we can disregard her. If I'm honest I haven't really noticed myself either, looking in the mirror I see no change, no change even in the progress photos. Looking at the photos I took at the start with the photos now I see no change.

Measurements are going down so thats something I guess.

A lot of people may notice but never say anything...talking about one's weight in general is pretty taboo. Also, a lot of people can't take a compliment..."Hey, you look great...have you lost weight?" gets translated to, "Hey...you used to look like *kitten*." Just do a search right here on MFP, and you will find tons of threads with people who don't know how to take a compliment...so for that reason, a lot of people will never say anything.

I went from being borderline obese to very fit and about 12% BF (working on 10% right now)...3.5 years of regular exercise and lifting has put some muscle on me as well...I don't even look like the same person I was 3.5 years ago and there are loads of people in my life who've never made so much as a peep.

Ultimately you have to do this for you, not everyone else or for hoping that people will be all, "dang"...
  • Honest_Angie
    Honest_Angie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've only just started dieting again after having a baby, but when I was dieting before the baby I had lost 30 lbs before I was able to see a difference. I remember looking in the mirror at 299 lbs and noticed there was a huge difference in my stomach and butt.
  • Pikacu90
    Pikacu90 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't notice anything on myself. That's how I gain weight and that's why I need a scale.

Others usually notice when I lose as little as 2 pounds. I wonder how. But they never comment when I gain weight, which happens just as often. Fishy. xD
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had about 30 to lose and people started noticing when I was halfway there
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    People likely notice but aren't saying anything. I find discussing other people's bodies to be extremely rude. Unless you're actively telling me you're losing weight I'm likely not going to mention it.

Exactly this. I will never comment unless someone has told me they're making an effort and initiates a conversation. The only time I will say anything at all is if my friend with an ED appears to have gained/lost a lot and then I don't mention the weight but ask her how she is doing to try to get her to open up.

In other words, if you want people to notice then include them in the conversation.
  • robydoll1
    robydoll1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    rpachigo wrote: »
    20 pounds off 400 not so much. But my first 20 from 200 was noticeable...Not sure where you're starting from.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I started just over 220lb, the first 20lb lost got a few comments. I'm now down 47lb and people are commenting a bit more. Only a couple directly, but I have noticed many more people talk about their own weight loss plans with me. I haven't been commenting on my own though, unless they ask. I feel no need to explain. I think many people are curious but don't want to be rude or prying.

I also don't really notice the difference in the mirror. I did take pictures in some workout clothes at the start and repeat those pictures monthly. When I place the pictures beside each other it is very obvious. Taking measurements has also been eye opening. I think it takes a while for our brains to catch up when looking in the mirror because we see ourselves everyday, so changes in the mirror seem more subtle.

Keep at it!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A few people noticed at 10-12 lbs down, definitely more at closer to 20 lbs. I started 20 lbs from goal weight though so I didn't have a lot to lose (ended up losing 24). I'm 5'7" and I also went down two clothing sizes.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP in 2013, it took much more weight to see a change. At that point, I was mostly just counting calories though. With a starting weight of 209 and being 5'4'', I lost about 20lbs before family noticed, and 30+ before acquaintances noticed. However, this time around after having my second kid, I'm only ten pounds in, and my husband, family/friends, acquaintances, etc. are all seeing it. I am jogging, doing zumba, and generally being more active, so that is probably playing a part because the inches are going down pretty quickly even though the pounds are a slow and steady loss.

I saw it in my face (cheeks mostly), waist, and thighs first if that helps.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I notice it myself but no one has commented yet. It's more likely I'll get hit by a truck than get complimented for weight loss before I lose 50 lbs :D
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    People noticed my changed eating habits first, then started commenting on my weightloss 2kg/4lbs down. I gain/lose weight from my face first so it's pretty obvious.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It took about 30 pounds down from 208 before people started to comment. I started my latest job at 147 and people have noticed my 14 pound difference since getting hired. It just gets more and more obvious the lower weight you are. It's also much more obvious when you buy new, well-fitting clothes.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    About a stone for me. But that may also be because I dropped a dress size and lost most of my belly/love handle weight at that point, and started wearing clothes which actually fitted rather than the baggiest thing I could find.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    25ish, if I remember correctly.
  • fry5150
    fry5150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I noticed it in my wife when she lost 10 pounds. I don't think she noticed it in my 10 pounds though.
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    8 lbs. A female acquaintance at the gym came up to me and asked if I lost weight. I gave her a thank-you hug! :)

(SW: 159, CW: 149. 5'6")
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Just to update- I'm now 30lbs down from my start weight of 265 and not a peep! My husband will say nice things but that doesn't count! Strangers/other family/friends etc haven't said a thing. In another 15lbs I'll be the lowest weight I've been in about 3 years (at least!) so I'm hoping for some love then!